Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Just read in the Liverpool thread that Welbeck had the same chance conversion rate as Sturridge last season. Lets give him a few games at striker before making any judgements, his athleticism and work rate could really make the most out of our midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Raf32 wrote: »
    Mario Yepes is a free agent, would yee take him?

At 38? No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

It's gas seeing how people's opinions of Welbeck drastically change once he's confirmed to Arsenal and how easily people are influenced by a few United fans coming in and saying they'll miss him.

Edit: Replies are even funnier, I support my team, i don't have to support every individual player just because.

My comment was in relation to people changing their opinions on him nothing more.

No but at least give them a ****ing chance!! Like ffs the guy has yet to even train with us and you're on his back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

When Theo is fit i think (and hope) he will be our main CF. Hopefully Welbeck can do a job until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's gas seeing how people's opinions of Welbeck drastically change once he's confirmed to Arsenal and how easily people are influenced by a few United fans coming in and saying they'll miss him.

Edit: Replies are even funnier, I support my team, i don't have to support every individual player just because.

My comment was in relation to people changing their opinions on him nothing more.

You don't know what peoples opinion was of him before? Most myself included don't have one of him now, we need to wait and see. Thats is only fair.

Think of how Liverpool fans reacted to Sturridge and what he has delivered, I'll evaluate him on what he does for Arsenal and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

When Theo is fit i think (and hope) he will be our main CF. Hopefully Welbeck can do a job until then.

Hopefully hes proved everyone wrong and his performances have cemented him a spot in the starting 11 by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    No but at least give them a ****ing chance!! Like ffs the guy has yet to even train with us and you're on his back.

How am i on his back? I never said anything about him? I just said it's funny how opinions change, i see you're very quick to defend his honor tho?
    Soups123 wrote: »
    You don't know what peoples opinion was of him before? Most myself included don't have one of him now, we need to wait and see. Thats is only fair.

Think of how Liverpool fans reacted to Sturridge and what he has delivered, I'll evaluate him on what he does for Arsenal and nothing more.

I know a few people's opinions prior to signing and especially when it looked like he wasn't signing, yourself included said "I rather we spent the money on feeding the africans" I have an opinion based on him because i've been watching the PL,CL and international football for the past 5 years?

I'm not saying he's going to be sh1t or anything, he's obviously a good footballer, i personally don't like him but again that had nothing to do with the point i was making about people's opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

People have different ways of supporting the club. Some come across as overly negative, others everything is sunshiney and lollipops. It takes all sorts.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How am i on his back? I never said anything about him? I just said it's funny how opinions change, i see very quick to defend his honor tho?

I know a few people's opinions prior to signing and especially when it looked like he wasn't signing, yourself included said "I rather we spent the money on feeding the africans" I have an opinion based on him because i've been watching the PL,CL and international football for the past 5 years?

I'm not saying he's going to be sh1t or anything, he's obviously a good footballer, i personally don't like him but again that had nothing to do with the point i was making about people's opinions.

Saying you're going to give him a chance isn't an opinion though. You could still think he's crap and say you are willing to give him a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

How am i on his back? I never said anything about him? I just said it's funny how opinions change, i see you're very quick to defend his honor tho?

Only 5 years? How old are you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Only 5 years? How old are you!!

I think he's referring to how long Welbeck is around not his actually time spent watching football tbf.

Thats fair enough but my response was very much tongue in cheek, I also posted a 'Shoot me, Shoot me now' but it was more buzzing of the fact the last day window wasnt delivering what we need. This thread was actually good craic yesterday!

I did though post this morning my real thoughts on it and as I said above I've an open mind on it. I have seen a bit of him, I have seen games I like and others I don't but if he delivers for us then I really don't care what he did before.

Henry/Veira/RVP etc. werent excelling when we bought them either

I think he's referring to how long Welbeck is around not his actually time spent watching football tbf.

Ah, that makes sense. Sorry Bob!

Supposedly he picked up a knock in training this morning

Supposedly he picked up a knock in training this morning

Welbeck??

Is it too soon to call him Danny yet??

• Advertisement

Welbeck??

Is it too soon to call him Danny yet??

Yup. Roy On Welbeck: "Unfortunately in training today he received a knock in the session. I'd be very disappointed if he could not play"

Im gonna go with Welbz :pac:

Guys i don't care what way you support the club i was just saying i found it funny! Whether you be a realist a negative nancy or blinded by fandom i don't care, you support Arsenal that's why your here and we'll all argue about it!

@Soups I can accept that, yeah yesterday was good craic but also frustrating transfer wise, mixed emotions as usual.

Welbz isn't great.

My son is called Danny. He's just started watching the odd bits of matches. Its a sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

As long we don't call him Dizzee Rascal i don't care.

Yup, remember how happy everyone was yesterday when the rumour started? Spoofers.

• Advertisement

Yup, remember how happy everyone was yesterday when the rumour started? Spoofers.

I dont get you button, everyone has said he wasnt what they would have picked but he is here now so given him the benefit of doubt. He may or may not be a success.

People here arent spoofers they just adapt to change well and have an interest in the team, it hardily enjoyable coming at it with a negative slant all of the time.

Everyone also agreed more defensive cover was needed

Boys would it be fair to say that if we dont challenge this year, that most the blame should be on Wengers door? As one of his biggest supporters, I have to be honest and say I lost a lot of faith in him yesterday and now have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

On the whole defensive depth thing. I've just seen it mentioned that Chelsea only have 6 first team defenders too (one of them being a 19 year old with little experience as well). That really surprised me as I thought they would be much better stocked there. Very strange that both teams would leave themselves without more cover.

[edit] having said that, Chelsea still have the better options in terms of other players who could drop back if needed like Matic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Boys would it be fair to say that if we dont challenge this year, that most the blame should be on Wengers door? As one of his biggest supporters, I have to be honest and say I lost a lot of faith in him yesterday and now have my doubts.

This time it 100% falls on Wenger.
    Not signing a CB/DM was very stupid and will make it extremely tough if we get an injury before January.

This happened to me around 3/4 years ago, I'm sick of his BS excuses for constantly under performing, never signing enough cover and out of date tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

D_Welbz :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I don't know, but I do believe that it's because of Wenger that we contended last season and may very well do so again this season.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

This happened to me around 3/4 years ago, I'm sick of his BS excuses for constantly under performing, never signing enough cover and out of date tactics.

I don't think we have underperformed too much - in recent years we've had the 3rd/4th best squad.

The not spending thing has been addressed - even in this window. I think people forget how much we've spent this summer.

Not buying cover looks like a flaw but that has yet to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

What tactics do you think he plays and How are they tactics out of date?

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I don't know, but I do believe that it's because of Wenger that we contended last season and may very well do so again this season.

I agree im not knocking his past seasons at all, i understood the money wasnt there and he had to make do. But it was there this summer. The last week of the window didnt look like we had a plan at all. Went for Remy when it was way too late, I wonder was Welbeck even on the list a few days ago? if giroud hadnt got injured he would have signed no striker. Along with no dm and no backup cb, thats really concerning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Im disappointed with the window TBH we brought in some really good players in Sanchez, Debuchy and Chambers really happy with them and it seems Ospina is good although I don't know anything about him, however we lost 3 good defenders and a GK so really we are down one defender and up one very good forward, add into that Welbeck who though uninspiring is a decent player and with Giroud out will certainly do better than Sanogo. It was long realized that we needed a DM but it seems to me we were never really serious about any and no real attempt to get a CB which really should have been the easiest signing of all as we only really required a solid pro as cover. Still confident we have the players to do something special but we are only 2/3 injuries away from a nightmare. If Chambers gets an injury we are going to struggle with even one more defender getting injured as he's realistically covering 3 first choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

LOL Welbz is injured already, rolled an ankle in training. he's out of the norway game.

I can understand why some supporters have this view point and why others dont. I was all for him stepping down not to long ago but I do feel after keeping the club competitive while managing the debt and stadium move he deserves the chance to be competitive with the money we now have.
    yupya1 wrote: »
    What tactics do you think he plays and How are they tactics out of date?

Its an easy one to answer, he hasnt applied tactics in recent years and admited it himself he approaches every game with our strenghts in mind. He has shown a change in approach with this years formation, but it will only work if it isnt maintained for every single game. The game is highly tactical now and Wenger ignores this a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Personally I'll blame boards.ie, specifically this thread ;-)

Paj wrote: »
    LOL Welbz is injured already, rolled an ankle in training. he's out of the norway game.

Seriously?!!! For FÚUUUUUUUCK SAKE!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Lads with no cb signing do people think Chambers will keep his place in the side?

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Lads with no cb signing do people think Chambers will keep his place in the side?

He is first choice cover I suspect for CB and RB but all being fit he will bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Seriously?!!! For FÚUUUUUUUCK SAKE!! :mad:

According to Henry Winter, the doctors said he's ok. Hopefully just a knock to keep him out of the internationals

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Paj wrote: »

He truly has joined the Arsenal. Presumably after a quick exam they'll discover that his ligaments are made of blu-tac and bits of string, and he'll be out til 2016?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

According to Henry Winter, the doctors said he's ok. Hopefully just a knock to keep him out of the internationals
    Good one. Have him champing at the bit for City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well now he's ours Im glad he will get the rest he deserves a break

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Club doctor probably saw he was perfectly fit, said "I'm not having that." and pushed him over.

I really miss Theo. I have underrated him so much in the past but our attack is so pedestrian without him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Lads loads of players from many teams are suddenly picking up "knocks", its just an excuse to get out of pointless internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Welcome Danny with open arms!

10608760_10152475251692713_324788743049583758_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

He's coming from a long line of hard workers.

10656593_616774811753601_1470702274_n.jpg?oh=f079215c77401437a745ac1a9ccdf46a&oe=5408247C&__gda__=1409791132_b3ec8c3766f25ee0dfe98d2a89b12ebc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd say if we don't improve on last year's points total it will be Wenger's fault.

Challenge is relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Being realistic AW is never going to sign a world class player just because one of the regular squad is injured for a few months. he's never done it and I think he just looks at the squad - as if they are fully fit - and makes his decisions based on that.

Welbeck is no Heskey, he a decent player who just hasn't got a run of games. Those thinking we can still complete for the likes of Falcao, Suarez, Di Maria etc aren't seeing the full picture. We may be able to compete on transfer fees but we are a bit behind where it matters most and that's salary.

At different points in the season we are going to have Walcott, Gibbs, Arteta, Giroud etc back fully fit. Yes there are questions about defensive cover in midfield and the back line and it's hard to understand why we haven't acted there but things are never clear-cut.

There are many other attractive teams, also in need of cover in these areas, that also have failed to find the right player. In fact for the most part all the players we were linked to, and desired my posters here, went nowhere, to no club. That for me is enough to settle on the fact that either they were never available or simply just not as good as we think.

Its now sad that a transfer window that promised a lot and mostly delivered is going the be seen as a failure by most fans. We have got Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers and Welbeck. Heck that's more than we're used to

It's a bit like your mother coming home with 4 burgers for the kids but forgetting the chips though.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

It's a bit like your mother coming home with 4 burgers for the kids but forgetting the chips though.

brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can understand your point as you have obviously being following his career path.
    I haven't but i will give him a chance to perform for us before deciding his worth.
    I wasn't too happy last night when I heard about his arrival and that is mainly because i see our shortcoming in defence and mainly feel that a good DM should have been the priority. I think the 2 DM's we have are too slow now.
    Time will tell for both of us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement