Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

How could we not win the league with
    BwetWuyIUAEm_vY.jpg

:pac::pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

WAGS?

Soups123 wrote: »
    I dont get you button, everyone has said he wasnt what they would have picked but he is here now so given him the benefit of doubt. He may or may not be a success.

People here arent spoofers they just adapt to change well and have an interest in the team, it hardily enjoyable coming at it with a negative slant all of the time.

Everyone also agreed more defensive cover was needed

I'll change my mind if Welbeck gives me a reason to.

People weren't happy when the rumour started and now it's "Oh he's actually quite good". That's very different from hoping he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

It's a bit like your mother coming home with 4 burgers for the kids but forgetting the chips though.

Great analogy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's disappointing that after years of financial prudence, we've come out the other side and are still down from the top table.

Utd are paying 50 odd million a year in wages to Di Maria, Rooney and Falcao. That's all our surplus just in wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

gosplan wrote: »
    It's disappointing that after years of financial prudence, we've come out the other side and are still down from the top table.

Utd are paying 50 odd million a year in wages to Di Maria, Rooney and Falcao. That's all our surplus just in wages.

TBH i don't care if we spend 5 mill or 100 mill if we just spent it on the right fcuking players and cover ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Welbeck I have no expectations for him. See how he does, he might be a great signing.

At least we have a striker who is fit and has scored at least a few competitive goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Falcao on loan for a year with option to buy or Welbeck for 16 million? Works out at similar cost for one year and can cut him if it didnt work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Liam O wrote: »
    Match of the Day once a month or something probably.

I'm sure other real piece of shìt strikers can say they've been their team's MotM in latter stage CL games against Real and Bayern in recent years too...

He's strong fast and contrary to belief can finish, just like every striker out there he performs better when given a run of games.

How many goals and assists did he get in those games?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'll change my mind if Welbeck gives me a reason to.

People weren't happy when the rumour started and now it's "Oh he's actually quite good". That's very different from hoping he does well.

I'm hopeful he will too. I remember laughing at his scoring record, it's dreadful. But I'm going to hope he does well and is hungry to succeed with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

All the goals and all the assists Chucky. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Raf32 wrote: »
    Falcao on loan for a year with option to buy or Welbeck for 16 million? Works out at similar cost for one year and can cut him if it didnt work out.

Yeah but in fairness, if Welbeck doesn't work out, we'll still be able to sell him for a fair bit due to him being young and English. Also if Falcao did work out there'd be the chance someone else would come in to buy after the year. A loan like that doesn't really seem like the best idea, unless those 'options to buy' are very secure clauses. But even then you'd be looking at spending another 50m plus his insane wages. I know we have money but still think that is a bit too much to ask.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I saw a breakdown of Welbeck's appearances & minutes in the league last season based on his position - not sure how accurate it is but based on it he averaged a goal every 114 minutes (8 goals in 13 apps, 7 in 10 starts) when at CF vs 1 goal in 542 minutes out wide.

... so hopefully he'll be used as a CF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

It's a bit like your mother coming home with 4 burgers for the kids but forgetting the chips though.

Take out, posh git!!

Very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Have you watched utd play this season? They have an awful lot to sort out, falcao or no falcao. Funny how they always prided themselves on not being a club who paid for success. I'm confident we'll finish above them again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

omega man wrote: »
    Have you watched utd play this season? They have an awful lot to sort out, falcao or no falcao. Funny how they always prided themselves on not being a club who paid for success. I'm confident we'll finish above them again this season.

Same here I understand United fans being excited with some the signings they have made.

But I reckon we will finish ahead of them again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Are Arsenal paying Welbeck nothing?

United are probably paying them less than 30m out of their own pocket. Rooney is not making 300k from United and Di Maria is probably on less than 200k a week I'd say. Nobody knows what Falcao is being paid, even if it is over 300k it has been offset and then some by players leaving in the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

United are probably paying them less than 30m out of their own pocket. Rooney is not making 300k from United and Di Maria is probably on less than 200k a week I'd say. Nobody knows what Falcao is being paid, even if it is over 300k it has been offset and then some by players leaving in the last week.

I thought it was common knowledge that he is earning that much. He negotiated a new contract when he was already on 250k a week.

Paleface wrote: »
    I thought it was common knowledge that he is earning that much. He negotiated a new contract when he was already on 250k a week.

What he makes and what United pay him are 2 different things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

What?

Rooney is getting 300k from Utd a week. That's aside from sponsership stuff. Obv he's not pocketing all that due to tax etc but Utd are paying him 300k gross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/21/wayne-rooney-manchester-united-captain-new-contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Yawns wrote: »
    What?

Rooney is getting 300k from Utd a week. That's aside from sponsership stuff. Obv he's not pocketing all that due to tax etc but Utd are paying him 300k gross.

I'm pretty sure Man U also get 50% of his image rights. Which correct me if i'm wrong means that whatever Rooney gets from sponsors.. Man U get half.

No i think Paleface could be right. He got a huge contract bump round 10/11 which brought him round the 250k mark and he received another under Moyes last year. Whatever money he is on its fairly savage anyway from what i recall and not too far of Falcao's earnings

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Man U also get 50% of his image rights. Which correct me if i'm wrong means that whatever Rooney gets from sponsors.. Man U get half.

Not sure, but the image rights was a delay for the last contract iirc

Seriously who cares?

This is the Arsenal thread no? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Why the **** didn't we try for Micah Richards? Seriously.

Or even throw West Ham £5/6m for Winston Reid.

It wouldn't have been hard to do those deals.

We're throwing a hail mary at Mertescielny being fine form wise and fitness wise for the season. Per has been ****e the two games he's started too.

This club absolutely frustrates the ****e out of me.

cson wrote: »
    Why the **** didn't we try for Micah Richards? Seriously.

Or even throw West Ham £5/6m for Winston Reid.

It wouldn't have been hard to do those deals.

We're throwing a hail mary at Mertescielny being fine form wise and fitness wise for the season. Per has been ****e the two games he's started too.

This club absolutely frustrates the ****e out of me.
    I was surprised no push was made for Nastasic from someone.

Or what about Toby Alderweireld even? Really irritating

• Advertisement

Falcao could be only getting to grips with tbe pace of the league towards the end of his loan spell whereas Welbeck is a proven Premier Lge performer and wont take long to gel in our team. He will score plenty of goals when he is played up top.

Falcao could be only getting to grips with tbe pace of the league towards the end of his loan spell whereas Welbeck is a proven Premier Lge performer. He will score plenty of goals when he is played up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Falcao could be only getting to grips with tbe pace of the league towards the end of his loan spell whereas Welbeck is a proven Premier Lge performer..

Normally that can be used as a valid argument but Falcao's stats in Europe are outrageous;

Porto: 87 games, 72 goals
    Atleti: 91 games, 70 goals
    Monaco: 22 games, 13 goals

I do think Welbeck will score more goals at Arsenal than United if he is given a run of games, but I don't think he'll be quick off the mark, so don't get frustrated if he looks like a donkey early on! He is good footballer with a lot of potential and a great athlete.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Rooney has image rights???

Oh to be a footballer.

Wenger weary of Kosc's achilles issues and wont play him when needed. And he didnt sign a backup cb because?

The defence thing isn't as bad as people make out.

2 options for RB, 3 options for CB, 2 options for LB.

Only problem is the Cb backup is also the RB backup.

But we also have a youngster or two. Plus Monreal can possibly play CB. Flamini could play LB.

It's September so we'd really need an injury crisis of massive proportions to be stuck for long before the Jan window. Like it'd have to be 2 long term injuries int he same position coming soon.

Obv it's not ideal or anything but i wouldn't be freaking out about it.

As someone said, Chelsea are doing the same.

The defence thing isn't as bad as people make out.

2 options for RB, 3 options for CB, 2 options for LB.

Only problem is the Cb backup is also the RB backup.

But we also have a youngster or two. Plus Monreal can possibly play CB. Flamini could play LB.

It's September so we'd really need an injury crisis of massive proportions to be stuck for long before the Jan window. Like it'd have to be 2 long term injuries int he same position coming soon.

Obv it's not ideal or anything but i wouldn't be freaking out about it.

As someone said, Chelsea are doing the same.

Debuchy suspended for Dortmund game. Just say if kos is injured for that. We have Bellerin right back in his first proper game marking Marco Reus with two right footers with not much pace in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Chelsea are doing the same.

This. Though Chelsea defenders never seem to be injured. Remember Terry missing a few games last season but did anyone else? Gibbs is the biggest problem for me, it's certain that every season he will miss a number of games but you just don't know how many.

Damn I didn't realise the first CL game was Dortmund away. Suppose may be best to get it out of the way. Only a couple of days after the City match too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Tbh its the tactics or lack thereof that makes my blood boil every time we play a top four team......we really need to be able to adapt on the fly when things are not going well. Not having a tactical response to plan A going belly up against the top 4 is something Wenger should have addressed seasons ago.

Just reading online that Carlos Marchena is available on a free transfer, was playing regularly last season in La liga even at the age of 35. Could easily do a job for us this season.....Also, Anthony Reveillere is on a free and can play RB and CB. Not to mention Alou Diarra could do a job as a DM too.....would get these players for very little. Not ideal but better then having a graveyard squad with injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I really miss Theo. I have underrated him so much in the past but our attack is so pedestrian without him!

I hope he comes back the same player.

Arsene is keeping very quiet on his progress.

Hope his pace hasn't suffered, he's already slow downed a small bit since his teens, bulking up contributed to that.

I always thought Sanchez was very quick, but he's no where near Theo or OX in a straight line.

Ox is one player who really needs to up it a level this year imo.

He hasn't progressed much since he has signed, he has undoubted ability but he is far to inconsistent.

One game he will dazzle and waltz past players like there not even there the next game he can anonymous.

His end product also needs to improve.

Thankfully time is on his side and I do still believe he can be a super player but would like to see at least some improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Tbh its the tactics or lack thereof that makes my blood boil every time we play a top four team......we really need to be able to adapt on the fly when things are not going well. Not having a tactical response to plan A going belly up against the top 4 is something Wenger should have addressed seasons ago.

Just reading online that Carlos Marchena is available on a free transfer, was playing regularly last season in La liga even at the age of 35. Could easily do a job for us this season.....Also, Anthony Reveillere is on a free and can play RB and CB. Not to mention Alou Diarra could do a job as a DM too.....would get these players for very little. Not ideal but better then having a graveyard squad with injuries.

It's distressing to think that this is what its come to in terms of options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

He hasn't progressed much since he has signed, he has undoubted ability but he is far to inconsistent.

One game he will dazzle and waltz past players like there not even there the next game he can anonymous.

Thankfully time is on his side and I do still believe he can be a super player but would like to at lesst

He needs a run of games in the team. That's the issue for him imo. Walcott improved because Wenger stuck with him even when poor, similar to Ramsey as you know.

Just don't feel he is going to get that chance once Walcott is back so he needs to take any run of games he gets now and show some product. Like you are saying he's still young and has loads of time to get the rough edges of his game smoothed out.

Welbeck is going to be in a similar scenario, he's going to get his chance it's whether with a run of games will he produce or just become a squad player to mix things up every now and then.

Am I the only one who thinks we will be okay defence wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Any reports of any failed last minute bids for anyone??? According to the express we offered 12.5 and Campbell on loan for Carvalho and another report (speculation of course ) says we tried to offload to Campbell to Benfica but couldn't agree price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Am I the only one who thinks we will be okay defence wise?

If everyone is fit, then yes. When our back four are fit they're amongst the best.. a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Thankfully time is on his side and I do still believe he can be a super player but would like to see at least some improvement.

That's true.

He's 2 seasons away from Wilshere's situation if he's not careful.

It's the same every year with him, hits some form and gets injured.

That could be said for every mobile player we have, all our pacy players get long term injuries.

Henry was some machine when you think about it, he played almost every game season after season and was blistering over short and long distances, rarely injured.

Put a 24 year old Thierry into this team and we walk the league.

Pool almost did it last year with Suarez and Thierry was miles better than him at his peak.

/off to youtube to watch Thierry ;-)

Our greatest ever player

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I'm hopeful he will too. I remember laughing at his scoring record, it's dreadful. But I'm going to hope he does well and is hungry to succeed with us.
    I hope he does well. As I said before, with decent tactics himself, Ozil, Walcott and maybe Chamberlain as a front 4. I'd have no complaints if playing properly. I just don't see it happening and I'm not going to delude myself.

For the same price would anyone really prefer Welbeck to Balotelli? Really?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement