Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

For the same price would anyone really prefer Welbeck to Balotelli? Really?

We'll see how they get on. Balotelli is talented but has a questionable mentality and work rate. Welbeck has unquestionable work rate but questionable ability. Both could develop strongly.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    We'll see how they get on. Balotelli is talented but has a questionable mentality and work rate. Welbeck has unquestionable work rate but questionable ability. Both could develop strongly.
    I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong if it turns out that way. But we have almost 2 weeks til the next match so let's discuss it. If we were signing someone for 3 months to replace Giroud would you go for Welbeck or Balotelli?

Also, I'd like to get some targets set now. :P If Welbeck plays 40 matches I'd expect 12-15 goals as mediocre. There's a big jump to be made, and if teams start fearing United again there's a big limp to be made for 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Am I the only one who thinks we will be okay defence wise?
    I think we will be ok. I dont think Bellerin playing a few games would be the end of the world. Impressed every time I have seen him play

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Am I the only one who thinks we will be okay defence wise?

I think it's expecting a lot for Per and Mert to play so much without getting injured. Fatigue is going to play a massive part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Chelsea have only 6 defenders too

Justsaying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

keano_afc wrote: »
    I think it's expecting a lot for Per and Mert to play so much without getting injured. Fatigue is going to play a massive part.

I just have a lot more belief in Chambers to step in already than I had anytime Verm did.

Plus I believe if Wenger has enough confidence in Bellerin or Hayden to step in then so be it, I know people are more hesitant in defence to give youth a go but only way they will improve or at least finding out if they can hack it is by throwing them in the deep end .

In all honesty I would have taken a DM over a CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I just have a lot more belief in Chambers to step in already than I had anytime Verm did.

Plus I believe if Wenger has enough confidence in Bellerin or Hayden to step in then so be it, I know people are more hesitant in defence to give youth a go but only way they will improve or at least finding out if they can hack it is by throwing them in the deep end .

In all honesty I would have taken a DM over a CB.

When verm stepped in last season he sis a great job for us.

Let's not put too much pressure on chambers.

I think we will be fine, people are mostly worried because of our indifferent start to te season

Once we get going we will be very hard to beat

And no our attack has pace, pace and pace

It's going to be exciting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Any reports of any failed last minute bids for anyone??? According to the express we offered 12.5 and Campbell on loan for Carvalho and another report (speculation of course ) says we tried to offload to Campbell to Benfica but couldn't agree price

We tried hard for that city lad Matija Nastasić according to the various online sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I'm scared of our next few games

City at home
    Dortmund away
    Galatasary at home
    Chelsea away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Now that the semi annual storm of transfer deadline day has calmed, reflecting on what was achieved by Arsene should be deemed as a qualified success.

Last year, big games aside we were solid at the back but scored nowhere near the goals City and Liverpool did. To be title contenders we need to improve our performance against the big teams, score more overall and have the solidity at the back against all teams.

Arsene also needed to replace Fab, Sagna, TV and the greatest striker in the world. In that regard I think we have done well. Debuchy is on a par with Sagna - better crosser but will attract cards. Better age profile and probably a better defender IMO. Chambers is a brilliant signing. He will adequately step in for TV and I believe will be a future superstar for us. He'll get plenty if experience and will make the odd costly mistake but is a star in the making and someone we could get 10 years out of. Ospina I'd be lying if I said I knew much about but an international keeper is as good a number 2 you will get. And Sanchez and Wellbeck bring pace, goals and more importantly work rate, something often lacking.

So has he adequately replaced the guys going? More than improved.

Has he added pace and goals? Yes, hopefully.

The big questions than are do we have adequate defensive cover? And what about the big teams games?

On defensive cover I think we a&e light but Arsene obviously has faith in Chambers, Monreal, Bellerin and the other youngstersl
    The young kids need experience, may surprise us all. My concern is Debuchy will get a lot of suspensions and last year we were lucky with Kos and the BFG. Jury is out on this. We may muddle our way through to December.

The big gap was a defensive midfielder. Unless he believes Diaby will play and is like a new signing, it is criminal we haven't signed anyone here. Whilst it wasn't the sole reason for the hammerings - tactics or a lack of was the big reason - it is a gaping weakness. We have too many midfielders who won't fight to win back possession - Santi and Ozil are criminal at this - and others giving away possession too easy and often - Jack in particular - arteta and Flamini needed improving on.

At the start if you had offered me Sanchez and Wellbeck and a record spend I'd have bitten your arm off but it still feels disappointing. Chelsea and United have I believe strengthened their gaps better than us. I think we have improved our squad more than Liverpool and City - but City had a better starting squad. Overall a good transfer window that so easily could have been brilliant. I fancy us top 4 but can't see us greeting anywhere near Chelsea or City. The next 6 games will make or break our season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea have only 6 defenders too

Justsaying

8 1st teamers.

2 rbs, 4cbs, 2 lbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

GavRedKing wrote: »
    8 1st teamers.

2 rbs, 4cbs, 2 lbs.

You're including Ake & Christensen in that - our equivalents would be Bellerin and Hayden,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

France vs Spain tomorrow! Fingers crossed the players we have there will not get injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

But even out of Chelseas 6 first teamers they have 2 rb options, 4 cb options and 2 lb options. We have 2 rb, 3 cb and 2 lb. Then you have Matic and Mikel, can they play cb if needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Pudders wrote: »
    Chelsea and United have I believe strengthened their gaps better than us.

United didn't really strengthen their gaps though, they just strengthened their firepower and signed three left backs. They needed at least one and probably two centre halves, arguably a right back, and a holding midfielder who can pick out a pass and they got none of those things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

GavRedKing wrote: »
    8 1st teamers.

2 rbs, 4cbs, 2 lbs.

That's including a few young inexperienced players like we would have too but.

Having said that, just because Chelsea are also short at the back, doesn't make it ok that we are as well. Especially considering that Kos is nursing an injury and while good, Chamber is still very inexperienced at CB. Oh and of course how injury prone Gibbs is.

Id have no problems with Ake playing if needed, Christensen would be the weakest of our 1st team options coz apart from pre season hes not got tested at senior level. Then youve got Zouma whos probably 4th choice and on the bench and Luis whos good enough to start but with ivan and azp at FB he'll be limited to one of them or a cb gets injured and we shuffle ivan to cb, azp to rb and luis at lb.

In saying all that i dont think cahill has started this season well and can be upgraded and jt doesnt have long left so we'll need another cb next year unless we take one of our 20million on loan players back to the club, probably Kalas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Raf32 wrote: »
    But even out of Chelseas 6 first teamers they have 2 rb options, 4 cb options and 2 lb options. We have 2 rb, 3 cb and 2 lb. Then you have Matic and Mikel, can they play cb if needed?

In fairness, Monreal didn't do too bad in CB when played there in preseason. And Flamini can always drop into the defensive positions for us if we really need him to. So only after we've lost 4 defenders do you really have to go into the promising youngster territory.

It's far from ideal, but if we were to lose one of Kos or Per tomorrow for the rest of the season we should be able to survive until January.

• Advertisement

In fairness, Monreal didn't do too bad in CB when played there in preseason. And Flamini can always drop into the defensive positions for us if we really need him to. So only after we've lost 4 defenders do you really have to go into the promising youngster territory.

It's far from ideal, but if we were to lose one of Kos or Per tomorrow for the rest of the season we should be able to survive until January.

I like Monreal but it thought he looked rubbish at cb, definitely not comfortable there. We are grand in the full back positions with Flamini and even Coq being able to cover there but imo we only have 3 options at cb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

2ndcoming wrote: »
    United didn't really strengthen their gaps though, they just strengthened their firepower and signed three left backs. They needed at least one and probably two centre halves, arguably a right back, and a holding midfielder who can pick out a pass and they got none of those things.

Three left-backs? Ah stop.

Shaw is a left back.
    Rojo is a centre back who played left back for Argentina.
    Blind played as left back for Ajax but last season he played as a holding midfielder and won Dutch Footballer of the Year. He played as left wing-back for the Netherlands but he also played on the left as part of the back three and at least once as a holding midfielder when De Jong came off in the ninth minute versus Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I like Monreal but it thought he looked rubbish at cb, definitely not comfortable there. We are grand in the full back positions with Flamini and even Coq being able to cover there but imo we only have 3 options at cb.

You're right, he didn't look comfortable but I wouldn't go so far as to say he was rubbish. He is an option there, albiet far from the ideal.

Montreal was woeful at cb.

not very mobile. But what do you expect from a large City in Canada ?

EDIT: French speaking, as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Is he actually gonna get a game when Giroud is fit? Absolutely not.

There's a lot of "ifs" when it comes to Welbeck, too many to rely on him.

Arsene has never been one for a Plan B so I can't see how signing Welbeck is anything other than a squad filler.

Still needed strengthening in the DM and more bodies for the defence.

And saying that He's an upgrade on what we currently have should be setting alarm bells ringing. How Sanogo was even looked at never mind given a contract is ridiculous.

"
    I believe the style of play the manager's got and the boys play and with the magnificent players in midfield slotting balls through, I can run on to the end of those balls and slot them away.

F*ck it, he seems confident anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

not very mobile indeed. but covers allot of ground.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

There's a lot of "ifs" when it comes to Welbeck, too many to rely on him.

Arsene has never been one for a Plan B so I can't see how signing Welbeck is anything other than a squad filler.

Still needed strengthening in the DM and more bodies for the defence.

And saying that He's an upgrade on what we currently have should be setting alarm bells ringing. How Sanogo was even looked at never mind given a contract is ridiculous.

"

F*ck it, he seems confident anyway.

Lots of ifs, indeed.
    I would like to see Wenger in January, if Welbeck has scored 10-12 goals until then. Big decisions to be made. . .

greendom wrote: »

Never been would love to someday..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I don't see how you can say that without giving him a chance to play while Giroud is out. He's got 3 months without Giroud now and if he does well then maybe he will play ahead of him when Giroud comes back, it's not certain either way.

I don't see how you can say that without giving him a chance to play while Giroud is out. He's got 3 months without Giroud now and if he does well then maybe he will play ahead of him when Giroud comes back, it's not certain either way.

might make a great partnership, we'll probably never find out though

It's the one thing I hate about out fan base we write players off without seen them in the jersey

If the poor lad don't score against city they will be alot of posters cueing up to give him the boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Another article about WBeck
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/02/arsenal-danny-welbeck-manchester-united

For what its worth im bringing him into my FFball team! I can see him coming off the bench against City and then starting against Villa. I reckon he will score a goal every other game. Which should mean 8 PL goals by the 1st Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Thing about Giroud and his build is that it will take him at least 3 weeks to get moving again once he is fit whenever that is, and we all saw how lethargic he was in pre season. Welbeck will be our main CF for a good few months probably into January at least. If he meshes well with the team Giroud could find it difficult and if nothing else he won't look bollo*ed from Feb/March on with a viable backup available. It will also spur him on knowing that he has a young, experienced England international after his shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Anyone who thinks 16m was a lot for Welbeck just remember Shane Long went for 12m!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ye do realise that we were told that handsome divil would be fit again in January?
    Which means in Arsenal talk that we're most likely looking at March, seems to happen with all our injuries

Rosicky doesnt seem too happy
    Rosicky: “The lack of match practice has been absolutely terrible.Naturally, it makes me very sorry that I haven't been given a chance yet”
    Campbells agent upset too
    Campbell agent on collapsed Benfica deal: "If Joel is not in Wenger's plans, then why not allow him to leave?"

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I'm scared of our next few games

City at home
    Dortmund away
    Galatasary at home
    Chelsea away

Good. Let's see where this team is at.

• Advertisement

It's the one thing I hate about out fan base we write players off without seen them in the jersey

If the poor lad don't score against city they will be alot of posters cueing up to give him the boot

I, for one, don't expect him to score in the first 1-2 games, so I will pleasantly surprised if he does.

Rosicky: “The lack of match practice has been absolutely terrible.Naturally, it makes me very sorry that I haven't been given a chance yet”
    Campbell agent on collapsed Benfica deal: "If Joel is not in Wenger's plans, then why not allow him to leave?"

That's a bit worrying so early on. Wenger wasn't giving Joel a chance and now with welbeck here it's going to be harder for him. Wenger has a track record of not throwing players in so soon, with the exception of chambers. I'm sure (hope) he gets his break.

As for Rosicky, not sure what's going on there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Where did you read that?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

greendom wrote: »

quite loose morals though, which is a plus, or minus, depending on your disposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

That's a real shame, Rosicky is my favorite player at the club, Wenger will give him some sub appearances soon and he might start a few small games in the latter parts of the year but i'm not sure it will be enough to keep him here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Agents are always talking sh!t, as for the rosicky one it may be a little worrying but reading the whole article its not as bad as the individual quote makes it out to be.

Kompany injured. Next week may be a good time to be playing city

Kompany injured. Next week may be a good time to be playing city

Is it an injury-injury or an "avoid the international friendlies" injury? :p

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Is it an injury-injury or an "avoid the international friendlies" injury? :p
    We will see. Taken to hospital for a scan on his calf and he is known to have dodgy calves

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement