Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭boccy23

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Raf32 wrote: »

There is nothing in the Rosicky one at all that concerns me, sure he says himself the season hasnt got going yet. He is a great squad player and will get some time.

On Campbell, we are 3 weeks into his breakthrough season at Arsenal. he has seen some game time and the club has refused to sell him because Wenger wants to keep him as he sees him in his plans..................... and he is having a moan.

He'll need to learn patience if he wants to stay at a top club or he can piss off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Soups123 wrote: »
    On Campbell, we are 3 weeks into his breakthrough season at Arsenal. he has seen some game time and the club has refused to sell him because Wenger wants to keep him as he sees him in his plans..................... and he is having a moan.

He'll need to learn patience if he wants to stay at a top club or he can piss off

In fairness to Campbell he didn't say anything. It was his agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Yeah, I'd say it's agent annoyed that his young client had a good World Cup but he didn't get a piece of the pie from a transfer fee.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    In fairness to Campbell he didn't say anything. It was his agent.
    Aenaes wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say it's agent annoyed that his young client had a good World Cup but he didn't get a piece of the pie from a transfer fee.

Yeah meant to say if. He is 3 weeks into a huge break for him he should be chuffed Arsenal didnt want to sell him

Agent obviously annoyed he couldnt cash in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

He is after been in every match day squad and also seem minutes he should be very grateful and now work twice as hard to make the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

He is after been in every match day squad and also seem minutes he should be very grateful and now work twice as hard to make the team

Yeah but probably looked at sanogo starting the other day who wasnt even at the world cup and said feck this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Yeah but probably looked at sanogo starting the other day who wasnt even at the world cup and said feck this!!

Exactly and having spent a couple of seasons on loan playing to a reasonably high standard he probably feels his time has come.
    Wouldnt it be worse if he was willing to sit on his hole and collect the £££
    All irrelevant though as it was his agent talking

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Exactly and having spent a couple of seasons on loan playing to a reasonably high standard he probably feels his time has come.
    Wouldnt it be worse if he was willing to sit on his hole and collect the £££
    All irrelevant though as it was his agent talking

Agreed re agent.

But I do think people here are over hyping his ability, he needs to earn his place in the team, take the chances given and show he can do a job.

As muck as people think Sanogo has been he played his part in last years FA Cup and has done well performancewise in some games minus the lack of goals.

For me both have a lot to prove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Whatever happened to fighting for you're place christ the season is what 5 games old including the champions league games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

BwhVlHsCUAA2dMp.jpg

Stats when playing as a striker:
    20kx6s8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

AdamD wrote: »

Any idea what site that second one is from? Looks like it would be handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/03/arsenal-asian-players-arsene-wenger-miyaichi-park-inamoto

Interesting article in the guardian highlighting Arsene's failure when it comes to signing Asian talent. Obviously 3 is a very small sample size, but the Park situation in particular was bizarre, and given Arsene's time in Japan it's a little surprising his track record is so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/03/arsenal-asian-players-arsene-wenger-miyaichi-park-inamoto

Interesting article in the guardian highlighting Arsene's failure when it comes to signing Asian talent. Obviously 3 is a very small sample size, but the Park situation in particular was bizarre, and given Arsene's time in Japan it's a little surprising his track record is so poor.

Not really. There are not that many great talents to come out of Asia.

And those that do are generally on the back of a good world cup with a bunch of teams after them to cash in on shirt sales

• Advertisement

Who has a good track record of signing talent from asia? Very few exist especially in the top bracket of clubs.

Journo's know Arsenal fans are a little p'd at the window and are just looking to add some more tripe to what they already right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Most of them scream commercial deals to me imo, although strange not one of them cost the club a lot of money but helped them tap into the lucrative Asian market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

AdamD wrote: »
    BwhVlHsCUAA2dMp.jpg

20kx6s8.jpg

Could have easily been a fluke year, a sample size of one season isn't enough.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he can push on and become a real talent, personally I don't think he'll be good enough to lead the line, will be a very useful player though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

What the actual fcuk??!!

How are all those city, utd, Chelsea and Liverpool Asian star players getting on? Not to mention all the top European clubs....

I appreciate wenger worked in Japan but come on why single out arsene and arsenal ffs!

You'd have to ask is the talent actually there at all anyway? I'm sure it would be snapped up if it was. Racism may well be alive and well in the stands but clubs only see in dollar signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wonder how many players that played in the J league when Wenger was there are still playing, its not like he was working there a couple of years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Living in China what I have seen is there is a decent amount of talent but no coaching. Everyone can dribble but struggle with simple passes.

Even in sunday league matches we play against guys that are better players but have no idea how to play as a team. And there can also be a large level of corruption.

If there was proper coaching structures put in place Asian football would do a lot better.

None of thats Arsene's fault though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

omega man wrote: »
    What the actual fcuk??!!

How are all those city, utd, Chelsea and Liverpool Asian star players getting on? Not to mention all the top European clubs....

I appreciate wenger worked in Japan but come on why single out arsene and arsenal ffs!

You'd have to ask is the talent actually there at all anyway? I'm sure it would be snapped up if it was. Racism may well be alive and well in the stands but clubs only see in dollar signs.
    Park at United is all I can think of, but that wasn't the point. But there aren't many failures at those clubs either (Kagawa is the only one I can think of, but that was mismanagement I think) - they simply haven't signed many Asian players. Wenger has signed a few, and they haven't played a full league game between them.

Signing a player who doesn't play a minute for you is quite odd.

I wasn't posting to criticise Wenger, I just thought it was an interesting article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Park at United is all I can think of, but that wasn't the point. But there aren't many failures at those clubs either (Kagawa is the only one I can think of, but that was mismanagement I think) - they simply haven't signed many Asian players. Wenger has signed a few, and they haven't played a full league game between them.

Signing a player who doesn't play a minute for you is quite odd.

I wasn't posting to criticise Wenger, I just thought it was an interesting article.
    Dong Fangzhou!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

The media gave Wenger stick for years over his failure to give English players a chance in the Arsenal side.

Of course now that he has proven them wrong, they switch to Asian players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know how many of our players are representing their countries tonight please?
    Hope none come back crocked but with our luck .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Diaby, Coq and Arteta out of contract next summer. Flamini will only have a year to run. Could be a big turnover in that area next year.

Diaby, Coq and Arteta out of contract next summer. Flamini will only have a year to run. Could be a big turnover in that area next year.

I think Flamster might be in his second and final year of his contract too. Part of me wonders if Wenger is waiting to try get Khedira on a free

Anyone know how many of our players are representing their countries tonight please?
    Hope none come back crocked but with our luck .......

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140828/international-watch-gunners-on-duty

Not sure how many pulled out since this was posted on the AFC website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I reckon Arteta will sign another deal, the rest will probably move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

_77360200_55f9ac50-e406-466b-995d-9102d319a790.jpg

Chamberlain and Wilshere start for England tonight against Norway.

• Advertisement

It would probably be no harm letting a few leave either in january or next summer, was actually surprised a few more didn't move on this summer. I reckon that if some don't get much game time early this season they might push to leave Podolski Campbell and Rosicky being the obvious ones. Letting one or two go in january would be smart get a few quid in and possibly spend some of it on players we need.

salmocab wrote: »
    It would probably be no harm letting a few leave either in january or next summer, was actually surprised a few more didn't move on this summer. I reckon that if some don't get much game time early this season they might push to leave Podolski Campbell and Rosicky being the obvious ones. Letting one or two go in january would be smart get a few quid in and possibly spend some of it on players we need.

I honestly hate these posts.

Rosicky is a fantastic servant to the club. Perfect for a B team. Podolski and Campbell are exactly the same.

Do you know what strength in depth is?

I think the biggest mistake of the window was letting Fabregas go to chelsea unchallenged, Now before all you guys eat me , Yes we needed a DM and CB even more , I'd argue from his start, that Fabregas is the final part missing from that team, Its after strengthing Chelsea no end and unlocking Diego Costa aswell

We should have got him in and possibly moved on someone to fit him in somewhere , Cazorla or someone like that

I honestly hate these posts.

Rosicky is a fantastic servant to the club. Perfect for a B team. Podolski and Campbell are exactly the same.

Do you know what strength in depth is?

I said they would push to leave, they are too good to warm a bench I really rate Pod and Rosicky but the reality is they don't get much game time and if we manage to make the signings we need then we need to make room in the squad.

I think the biggest mistake of the window was letting Fabregas go to chelsea unchallenged, Now before all you guys eat me , Yes we needed a DM and CB even more , I'd argue from his start, that Fabregas is the final part missing from that team, Its after strengthing Chelsea no end and unlocking Diego Costa aswell

We should have got him in and possibly moved on someone to fit him in somewhere , Cazorla or someone like that

No, I agree.

I do think it was stubbornness on Wengers part to not allow him back.

His biggest ever mistake imo.

Wilshere playing brilliant tonight.

I stayed off here during the window madness, And took time to reflect i think Welbeck could and might strike up a Sturridge and Suarez type partnership with Sanchez, Even with Sanchez on the wing he cuts in and he's deadly , Welbeck often makes savage runs (yes i've watched united )

With Ozil aswell i feel he could be a revelation with us , Look at all the balls Giroud gets on the end of and hes quite slow

I stayed off here during the window madness, And took time to reflect i think Welbeck could and might strike up a Sturridge and Suarez type partnership with Sanchez, Even with Sanchez on the wing he cuts in and he's deadly , Welbeck often makes savage runs (yes i've watched united )

With Ozil aswell i feel he could be a revelation with us , Look at all the balls Giroud gets on the end of and hes quite slow

Welbeck and sturridge lookalike from a distance, that's about it.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with welbeck, he has it all to prove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Wilshere playing brilliant tonight.

Good to hear, dont have the tv control tonight.

How about Ox?

Thought he was injured anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ox flattering to deceive, Wilshere and Henderson playing well in the middle, Jack picking out some great passes.

Welbeck and sturridge lookalike from a distance, that's about it.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with welbeck, he has it all to prove.

Oh jesus i totally agree , He has yet to convince me, But i don't know i have a feeling he will , Its good that we're building a core of young british players and i think he'll thrive in that environment where as at United he had the ugly manchild in front of him that whole time and the other fella taking up the treatment room all the time, Plus the moyes and subsequent LVG eras have not been kind to him

Good to hear, dont have the tv control tonight.

How about Ox?

Thought he was injured anyway?

Making some great passes. Ox is quieter but still always a threat. Im ashamed to say im watching it over the ireland game :D

I wonder could Ramsey and Wilshere do it together if Wilshere and Henderson can?

I know it would have been great to get him and stop Chelsea from doing so, but the positions he plays in are literally the positions of our two best players (Ramsey and Ozil), so we were hardly going to move one of them on. And it was too much money to spend for the primary purpose of screwing Chelsea over. Still sucks seeing him play for them, he's brilliant.

Just noticed that Germany are 3-0 down, clearly all Ozil and Per's fault .... oh wait

[edit] 4-0 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just noticed that Germany are 3-0 down, clearly all Ozil and Per's fault .... oh wait

[edit] 4-0 now.

Poldi is captain ;)

• Advertisement

I know it would have been great to get him and stop Chelsea from doing so, but the positions he plays in are literally the positions of our two best players (Ramsey and Ozil), so we were hardly going to move one of them on. And it was too much money to spend for the primary purpose of screwing Chelsea over. Still sucks seeing him play for them, he's brilliant.

I'd prefer cesc over ozil.

There I said it.

There I said it.

That's fair enough but we were hardly going to ship him out after one season to replace him with the guy that pissed off on us when he felt like it

There I said it.

Would you prefer him over Ramsey? Because that's the position he'd be playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Its all well and good want Cesc back but he cost Chelsea 33 million. Now I firmly believe that had Wenger bought him back it would be at the cost of one other of our summer signings due to firstly the cost of him and secondly the fact that Wenger had stated at the start of the window he did not intend to bring in more than 5 or 6 six players and even that is factoring in replacements for outgoing players. I wouldn't give up any of our summer signings for Cesc personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm glad we didn't take Cesc back, most here wouldn't welcome RVP, Adebayoor, Nasri back etc Cesc isn't much different.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement