Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

...I wasn't too impressed with seeing him pull out of a few challenges either.

I hate when people say this (not having a pop at you Tayto btw) but in no way should a player like Ozil be expected to get involved in challenges. He's a flair player (ala Pires). I want him going up the pitch, not tackling. The team should be set up around him and the likes of Flamini and Arteta should be there to do the donkey work for him, give him the ball and let him do the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Roaster wrote: »
    I hate when people say this (not having a pop at you Tayto btw) but in no way should a player like Ozil be expected to get involved in challenges. He's a flair player (ala Pires). I want him going up the pitch, not tackling. The team should be set up around him and the likes of Flamini and Arteta should be there to do the donkey work for him, give him the ball and let him do the rest.

6134010035.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

That's fair enough. Yes that is what i thought you meant, it's the way people go on here i've posted about it before, just because someone play's for Arsenal doesn't mean you have to be biased.

Are we not allowed discuss players from other clubs here? Someone just posted a video of Arshavin he hasn't played for us in years...:rolleyes:

and before that there was a video of Henry.
    Both from Arsenal games.
    I know this is not what you meant, but just saying. . .

6134010035.gif

Oh how I wish.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

That's fair enough. Yes that is what i thought you meant, it's the way people go on here i've posted about it before, just because someone play's for Arsenal doesn't mean you have to be biased.

Are we not allowed discuss players from other clubs here? Someone just posted a video of Arshavin he hasn't played for us in years...:rolleyes:

200_s.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Retrieving the ball is everyone's job especially when you are the nearest player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sanogo played for 60 minutes for France U21s against Kazakhstan and scored a brace :)

Retrieving the ball is everyone's job especially when you are the nearest player.

I get where you are coming from and I'd expect Ozil to put some type of pressure on a player but I wouldn't expect him to be going wholeheartedly into challenges as I fear there would be only one outcome and then we'd have the infamous "oh not another injury..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

HazDanz wrote: »
    Bit of a break to next game so might see get a response to this.

What is the greatest performance from an Arsenal player ever?

My first nomination from the top of my head would be Henry away to Milan, He led an attack to beat inter 5-1 away from home when beating Inter looked really unlikely after they beat us 3-0 in the reverse leg already.

Great memory.

Kan-u believe it, this is certainly the greatest performance from an Arsenal substitute ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJlBsw_QcM

• Advertisement

I get where you are coming from and I'd expect Ozil to put some type of pressure on a player but I wouldn't expect him to be going wholeheartedly into challenges as I fear there would be only one outcome and then we'd have the infamous "oh not another injury..."

Here comes Sagna down the right for City, Ozil steps out of his way as understandably someone like Ozil could not be expected to make a challenge.

Ok ok i'll stop now.

Here comes Sagna down the right for City, Ozil steps out of his way as understandably someone like Ozil could not be expected to make a challenge.

Ok ok i'll stop now.

You ever thought of changing your username?

You get more injuries by going in half-hearted than whole-hearted though.

You ever thought of changing your username?

What funny insult do you have for me?

You get more injuries by going in half-hearted than whole-hearted though.

That's my point though, you'll never have a player like Ozil go in whole-heartedly. It's not in his makeup. Sure look what happened to our main centre-forward and he was only blocking the ball ffs.

What funny insult do you have for me?

No insult here, just wondering.

• Advertisement

No insult here, just wondering.

I don't care if it's an insult if you had something good say it :D

I'm not trying to be an arsehole i just have different opinions to most people in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I've no problem with Ozil not getting stuck in but he should at a very minimum working in the spaces to close out the pass, most attack minded players take this approach.

But I would never rate him down in a game for not tackling!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'm not trying to be an arsehole i just have different opinions to most people in here.

I actually enjoy debates like this - especially with no games on.

But, what exactly is your opinion of Ozil - is it just that he doesn't tackle or score too many? Or is it that you feel there are better players on other teams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

greendom wrote: »
    Sanogo played for 60 minutes for France U21s against Kazakhstan and scored a brace :)

Highlights of this tremendous event are below.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I actually enjoy debates like this - especially with no games on.

But, what exactly is your opinion of Ozil - is it just that he doesn't tackle or score too many? Or is it that you feel there are better players on other teams?

I enjoy them too but then you have guys holding grudges against you and then they'll pick at every post you make and so on so fourth, it's hard to debate with people without them building up some sort of hatred towards you as if your trying to piss them off and you're a cnut you know?

My opinion of Ozil, i like him, he's got great vision,positioning,pace(When he wants to) he's a great passer of the ball and can dribble quite well,However he lacks the defensive side of the game and sometimes i feel like he doesn't work for the team, certainly not as much as Ramsey,Wilshere,Sanchez,Ox etc.

I understand he's not going to be an amazing tackler, but he hardly even tries, he literally bottles challenges as if he's afraid, he rarely chases back and when he does he never puts the foot in anyway. Then his finishing....lacks a lot for a player of his caliber.

I think right now he lacks confidence in his ability, not just shooting but also taking players on, he can dribble by players and fire in a goal or two i think we all know he's capable of that but he never goes for it because the confidence seems to be lacking. If he got the confidence and put in some defensive work i think he'd be one of if not the best player in the world.

Right now, i think he's good but i don't like certain sides of his game. Look at Rosicky when he plays the 10 role, that guy gets back like an out of position centre halve, he slides in left right and centre wins the ball and gets us moving, look at Carzola, he's an amazing finisher can shoot with both feet and isn't afraid to have a pop and they're two examples of why i don't like people saying well that's not Ozil's job.

• Advertisement

Highlights of this tremendous event are below.

Fine angle on the 2nd to avoid the defender and catch the inside of the post. The first wouldn't have avoided the keeper if it hadn't been for the deflection. Still good movement to find space

greendom wrote: »
    Fine angle on the 2nd to avoid the defender and catch the inside of the post. The first looked a bit of a mis-hit.

He got a lovely angle on the second your right - brave against the keeper too. He looks pretty awkward with his shooting though. Might just be his style.

I think to get the best out of Ozil you need to set up with at least 2 pacey strikers/wingers ahead of him with competent footballers around him too to feed him.

Welbeck

Sanchez

Ozil

Wilshere/Ramsey
    Ox/Walcott

Flamini/Arteta/Diaby

I left Giroud and Poldi out up front as I want pace.

I'd love him to get a scruffy one like the first there for us. Just to get him off the mark.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I enjoy them too but then you have guys holding grudges against you and then they'll pick at every post you make and so on so fourth, it's hard to debate with people without them building up some sort of hatred towards you as if your trying to piss them off and you're a cnut you know?

My opinion of Ozil, i like him, he's got great vision,positioning,pace(When he wants to) he's a great passer of the ball and can dribble quite well,However he lacks the defensive side of the game and sometimes i feel like he doesn't work for the team, certainly not as much as Ramsey,Wilshere,Sanchez,Ox etc.

I understand he's not going to be an amazing tackler, but he hardly even tries, he literally bottles challenges as if he's afraid, he rarely chases back and when he does he never puts the foot in anyway. Then his finishing....lacks a lot for a player of his caliber.

I think right now he lacks confidence in his ability, not just shooting but also taking players on, he can dribble by players and fire in a goal or two i think we all know he's capable of that but he never goes for it because the confidence seems to be lacking. If he got the confidence and put in some defensive work i think he'd be one of if not the best player in the world.

Right now, i think he's good but i don't like certain sides of his game. Look at Rosicky when he plays the 10 role, that guy gets back like an out of position centre halve, he slides in left right and centre wins the ball and gets us moving, look at Carzola, he's an amazing finisher can shoot with both feet and isn't afraid to have a pop and they're two examples of why i don't like people saying well that's not Ozil's job.

I'm pretty sure that most would agree with your assessment of Ozil. There are things that he's brilliant at and things that he's not. I think it would be harsh to expect him to be great ay all aspects of the game.

Both Rosicky and Cazorla can have bad patches also and even when they are great there is a lot that they can't do that Ozil does.

There are a lot of great players that you just need to put up with their weaknesses because you know that their strengths can win games.

Unfortunately the worst part of his game is his casual appearance. If he can look a little more interested I think the fans would forgive him more - even if he just plays the same as before. Perception is a big deal

I'm pretty sure that most would agree with your assessment of Ozil. There are things that he's brilliant at and things that he's not. I think it would be harsh to expect him to be great ay all aspects of the game.

Both Rosicky and Cazorla can have bad patches also and even when they are great there is a lot that they can't do that Ozil does.

There are a lot of great players that you just need to put up with their weaknesses because you know that their strengths can win games.

Unfortunately the worst part of his game is his casual appearance. If he can look a little more interested I think the fans would forgive him more - even if he just plays the same as before. Perception is a big deal

I think this is the biggest issue. Perception.
    But he's not going to change that, he's never going to hare around the pitch like Jimmy f*cking Bullard! Fans should try take that on board and appreciate what he does do. Because, what he does do, he does better than anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

But he's not going to change that, he's never going to hare around the pitch like Jimmy f*cking Bullard! Fans should try take that on board and appreciate what he does do. Because, what he does do, he does better than anyone.

This a hundred times we all love a player who battles hard gives there all it's great to see and fans love it.

But as fans we have to accept not all players are like that a huge favorite around here is Pires, but by jaysus he was afraid of his shadow at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Berbatov was often called lazy and looks dis-interested, Berbatov was once one of the best strikers in the premier league and was always hit out at by fans for being lazy, if you look back the guy was pure genius

''Bulgaria striker Berbatov has revealed Sir Alex Ferguson has told him not to change his laid-back style, despite criticism from some Manchester United fans and pundits following his £30.75million summer move from Tottenham.

Berbatov claims his supreme touch and football brain mean he is totally comfortable with the ball at his feet and can see the big picture, whereas some players panic and rush around like headless chickens.''

yes that's our goalkeeper Ospina ^^

(his second goal kind of reminds me Ozil)

Like Berbatov, Ozil is ice cold not Stephen Hunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

actually I don't even know why I'm arguing he's played 3 games this season, calm down everyone with the negativity.

enjoy

The amount of chances he created and were not converted in that video is shocking.

• Advertisement

That's my point though, you'll never have a player like Ozil go in whole-heartedly. It's not in his makeup. Sure look what happened to our main centre-forward and he was only blocking the ball ffs.

I our away game against Swansea last season OX failed to close down and challenge a player and it led to a goal against us.
    He didn't figure for approx 5/6 games afterwards.
    What kind of a team would we have if players felt they were beyond making challenges ffs?

France vs Spain tonight. or from an Arsenal perspective, Debuchy vs Cazorla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

byrneg28 wrote: »
    actually I don't even know why I'm arguing he's played 3 games this season, calm down everyone with the negativity.

enjoy

you know, watching this video this phrase came to mind:
    "Come on now, you just gave us a sample, how about the real thing?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Anyone else think its written in the stars that Welbeck scores the winner against City his old rivals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

The amount of chances he created and were not converted in that video is shocking.

+1

He's crying for someone to make those runs...how many times he is the farthest player...so who is he going to pass the ball to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Sanogo banged in 2 for the French u21s today. Woop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

dorgasm wrote: »
    Sanogo banged in 2 for the French u21s today. Woop.

Massive deflection for the first, and an absent keeper for the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Quazzie wrote: »

Beautiful. We need someone who can score the ugly ones.

:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Quazzie wrote: »

Ah here. Give the lad some credit for his bravery rounding the keeper with a good touch! Great finish too. Less said about the first the better though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Sanogo makes me depressed. I preferred Bendtner. That says it all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pudders wrote: »

I can kinda see what you're saying in a roundabout 'at least we can laugh at Bendtner's delusionable state' way....but....no. Just....no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Due to work and no sky or much free time have seen very little of us this season so far unfortunately.
    Welbeck although not benzema wont do us any harm he has pace and will make runs that giroud doesnt and if him and ozil get something going it could be great for us in my opinion.
    Ozil is wasted on giroud if you ask me.
    Has sanchez shown much signs of promise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

This is a big part of it. Ozil runs more than most players (stats usually have him among the highest of the distance ran) but more likely does so when he's off the ball and looking for space.

I remember noticing in some replays last year Ozil sprinting off the ball to get into position to recieve, say when he was on the left wing and the RB had it, but of course by the time the camera pans to him he's usually slowing his run down because he justs wants to lay it off quickly to someone.

The story of his last 12 months. Ozil had the second highest amount of chances created in the World Cup too after Messi, and was fairly high up the PL rankings too (top 10 anyway).

Biggest problem Ozil has is that sometimes his team mates just simply aren't aware of where he is, I can't count how many times I've seen Ozil in a scoring position inside the 18 yard box and not receive the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

This is a big part of it. Ozil runs more than most players (stats usually have him among the highest of the distance ran) but more likely does so when he's off the ball and looking for space.

I remember noticing in some replays last year Ozil sprinting off the ball to get into position to recieve, say when he was on the left wing and the RB had it, but of course by the time the camera pans to him he's usually slowing his run down because he justs wants to lay it off quickly to someone.

The story of his last 12 months. Ozil had the second highest amount of chances created in the World Cup too after Messi, and was fairly high up the PL rankings too (top 10 anyway).

Biggest problem Ozil has is that sometimes his team mates just simply aren't aware of where he is, I can't count how many times I've seen Ozil in a scoring position inside the 18 yard box and not receive the ball.

Good points, but maybe he needs to take up better positions that his team mates can find him.

Anyway I'm sure no one wants another day of ozil discussion.

Hoping we pick up no injuries during this break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Good points, but maybe he needs to take up better positions that his team mates can find him.

But he gets into brilliant positions, that's my point. I don't know if it's purely that he gets into them earlier than his team mates can sort their feet out, or if he's just not vocal enough on the pitch for them to notice.

The amount of times in the World Cup for example that Ozil was unmarked and ready to be set off in behind down the left, only for the LB or the likes of Muller/Kroos/Gotze to keep their heads down. The Algeria game for example I think could have been won easily in the 90 if the German's had actually bothered to pass to him.

You're right though, there's a bit of a problem there. Perhaps Ozil needs to change his style slightly to enable others to find him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Cool all we need now is Sigporsson and kennedy Backirilogou, Yepes was always one of my first buys in CM years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Pudders wrote: »

Yeah I'd much prefer to have a wage whoring, lazy, interested waste of space at the club than a developing french U21 international centre forward.

Say what you want about the lad being good enough to start but as a prospect he is extremely promising. Once his body develops his strenght which it will he will be a beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

love the pass from Bendtner at 6m14 in the previous Ozil compilation post
    pure class he is...Bendter. pure :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement