Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Are there any openly gay footballers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

A bit random Bob, weres this going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Very few on a high level and most of them don't come out until after they retire.

Thomas Hitzlsperger would be the most well known of the current generation.
    And Robbie Rogers who played for Leeds United for a couple of years. He is still playing (in the States I think)
    And Justin Fassanu from the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Very few on a high level and most of them don't come out until after they retire.

And Robbie Rogers who played for Leeds United for a couple of years. He is still playing (in the States I think)

American fellow who was at Leeds a while back who has retired too I think.

Soups123 wrote: »
    A bit random Bob, weres this going?

Not really random after the rainbow laces?? :o I was just curious is all, never heard of one.

Cheers man

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Lars Bender.

Too obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

BBC Sporf ‏@BBCSporf 44m
    MAD: Mario Balotelli has been subbed off for Liverpool Reserves after kicking a Wolves player in the head!" .

Wenger was very sensible in staying away from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I don't think Wenger was.

BBC Sporf - not BBC Sport

Parody acc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

maximoose wrote: »

Parody acc

I think its been suggested in a few places on twitter though. Could still be all bull****.

BBC Sporf ‏@BBCSporf 44m
    MAD: Mario Balotelli has been subbed off for Liverpool Reserves after kicking a Wolves player in the head!" .

Wenger was very sensible in staying away from him.

Really!? That BBC Sporf is fooling a lot of people!

• Advertisement

Parody acc

I do know that is a Parody a/c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Parody acc

I think he was whether or not he kicked someone in the head today.

greendom wrote: »
    I think he was whether or not he kicked someone in the head today.

+1,

If he hasn't done it today, it's only a matter of time he'll kick someone. It's easy to wind him up.

Hahaha wow, what the fcuk is his problem like? Needs to go get help along with Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Don't know if this has been mentioned but Zigic had come out and said our link to him was indeed genuine... Oh the reaction had we signed him

Don't know if this has been mentioned but Zigic had come out and said our link to him was indeed genuine... Oh the reaction had we signed him

He's probably just trying to keep himself relevant. I really doubt we were interested.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    He's probably just trying to keep himself relevant. I really doubt we were interested.

Exactly he doesnt say in his quotes Arsenal contacted him. His agent probably contacted Arsenal as he did many clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Did poor Zigic get a club in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hate these International breaks.

Szczsney wrote:
    English press need to stop looking for a story when there isn't one. I said I used to feel sorry for Lukasz Fabianski because he was my good friend and he deserved to play first team football. Little bit different then saying "Ospina isn't my friend and I don't feel sorry for him", don't you think?
    With social media these days your bull...t stories will get killed straight away

Heh. Feckin' ledge. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hate these International breaks.

Roll on the City game. As much as I hate international friendlies and didn't watch the Oman game I am looking forward to the game on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Roll on the City game. As much as I hate international friendlies and didn't watch the Oman game I am looking forward to the game on Sunday.

You just reminded me that i bought two tickets for that game and need to decide who is the lucky one i will invite to this game.

ummm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I see were still being linked with Rabiot he's been left out of PSG squad for the Champions League.

Us and Chelsea are being linked with a January move.

Fcuk bring back football I've been reduced to reading gossip columns mid season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

You just reminded me that i bought two tickets for that game and need to decide who is the lucky one i will invite to this game.

ummm

**Forced smile** Have a great time :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Did anyone post the rainbow laces video yet? Gas craic altogether!

http://youtu.be/1_2QzUvLNDI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Did anyone post the rainbow laces video yet? Gas craic altogether!

http://youtu.be/1_2QzUvLNDI

Giroud could make a man turn:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

I see were still being linked with Rabiot he's been left out of PSG squad for the Champions League.

Us and Chelsea are being linked with a January move.

Fcuk bring back football I've been reduced to reading gossip columns mid season.

Loan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

dinorebel wrote: »
    Giroud could make a man turn:confused:

He's all mine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

wonga77 wrote: »
    1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

No harm, it got a bit funky in here at times in the last coupla weeks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

shano_88 wrote: »
    Did poor Zigic get a club in the end?

No I don't believe so! His Wikipedia still has him as a free agent. I hope he gets a club asap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

DenMan wrote: »
    No I don't believe so! His Wikipedia still has him as a free agent. I hope he gets a club asap!

Why ? nothing to do with us ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Been away for a bit and not bothered reading the 3000 odd posts I've missed. I intiended to, but when I seen how many I missed I skipped to near the end :pac:

What do people think of Welbek in general? Obviously not a world beater but I'm fairly happy as he provides competition in the long run.

Havent seen the games either so how did we do in them? Should we be worried for next weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Been away for a bit and not bothered reading the 3000 odd posts I've missed. I intiended to, but when I seen how many I missed I skipped to near the end :pac:

What do people think of Welbek in general? Obviously not a world beater but I'm fairly happy as he provides competition in the long run.

Havent seen the games either so how did we do in them? Should we be worried for next weekend?

Some people produced random stats to show how awesome he is but anyone that says they aren't a bit 'meh' about it is lying.

Some freaking out about no of defenders, others saying we've the same amount as Chelsea and only need to make it till Jan.

We were OK in the games but never look like scoring more than 1-2 goals so we might have the same problems as last year.

Sanchez looked great and did well centrally.

A lot of people worried that any hope of a challenge might be over in a month or so with Giroud out.

Wenger gamble backfire season maybe?

Oh yeah, perhaps a hint of growing awareness of what Arteta brings. We were fairly awful and one paced against Leicester without him. No zip whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Why ? nothing to do with us ?

He was linked with us before the window closed. Wenger inquired about him.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9457012/transfer-news-nikola-zigic-confirms-arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-made-enquiry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Did Arsenal ever confirm they enquired. I always considered that interest made up by the agent to make other interested parties make a move. The quote was weird as it called out arsenal by name and then was very vague about the interest from other clubs.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

On Arteta, would Fabregas have been a better option?

I joke, I joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

gnfnrhead wrote: »

I think the big thing with Welbeck is that it's better than relying on Sanogo (who I do like) til Olly comes back.
    As for how we've been playing... 'meh' is the word I'd be inclined to use.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Oh yeah, perhaps a hint of growing awareness of what Arteta brings. We were fairly awful and one paced against Leicester without him. No zip whatsoever.

For all the Arteta bashing I do.. This is a very good point.
    We really did look slow in the middle without him.

He really does play the Xavi role for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    For all the Arteta bashing I do.. This is a very good point.
    We really did look slow in the middle without him.

He really does play the Xavi role for us.

I reckon most of us agree on the value of Arteta.
    I think the main point of discussion was that at 32 he can't carry on for the whole year. Too many games and unless tactics change he might struggle in the big games.

On the tactics side, what would fans think if we went to the big away games and parked the bus Mourinho style? And hit on the counter attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I reckon most of us agree on the value of Arteta.
    I think the main point of discussion was that at 32 he can't carry on for the whole year. Too many games and unless tactics change he might struggle in the big games.

On the tactics side, what would fans think if we went to the big away games and parked the bus Mourinho style? And hit on the counter attack?

Kind of the way the invincibles played. I would like to try it.

But Wenger is insistent on this barca style football which we just don't play good anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

up to a point i dont give a sh1t how we play as long as we're winning,
    The gameplan should vary from time to time anyhow, games against the top teams need to be approached in a different way tactically.
    Games in Europe, esp away ones also need to be approached differently. Thats one of our biggest problems the last few years - no variation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think Arteta or a player in his mould will be very necessary until we get better in attack.

Pure out and out DMF's are a luxury that not many teams can afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jaysus lads Arteta is not nearly as good as some of you make out.
    He is slow and often gives the ball away.
    He is the best we have at the moment but we can do a lot better.
    He was playing in 3 of the 4 hidings we got last season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Eamon could make a few friends in here with those comments about positivity!

• Advertisement

Really can't wait to have Theo back. I know it can be a running joke but it really is like a new player!

I'll never under estimate his importance again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement