Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Really can't wait to have Theo back. I know it can be a running joke but it really is like a new player!

I'll never under estimate his importance again

Let's hope he hasn't lost any of his pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Was Ozil dropped or is he injured?

Was Ozil dropped or is he injured?

He's injured Soupie just mentioned on Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

He's injured Soupie just mentioned on Sky

Any idea how long he's out for?

jonny666 wrote: »
    Any idea how long he's out for?

It's not confirmed but suggestions are he is racing to be fit for the City game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Heard the new fitness coach was injured too.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He is slow and often gives the ball away.
    Slow, yes. Gives the ball away? That's something I'd never say about him.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3853/Stages/7794/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014

3rd highest pass % last season, behind Kos and Mert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Reus came off injured in the Germany game.

Looked pretty bad.. He could miss our CL game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mr Blobby wrote: »

It all looked fairly innocuous apart from his reaction to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Jaysus lads Arteta is not nearly as good as some of you make out.
    He is the best we have at the moment but we can do a lot better.
    He was playing in 3 of the 4 hidings we got last season too.

That simply isn't true. He's not beyond criticism, but giving the ball away is one thing he doesn't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Check your stats and u will realise u are way off the mark.
    Casual uneducated bashing of our players isnt doing anyone any favours.
    Transfer deadline day has gone and so have the dreams of buying the must have players.
    Every team has leaders and Arteta whether anyone likes it or not is one of ours.
    He does his job in his role better than most on a consistent basis.
    I wish he was faster and younger too. But anyone who wishes Flamini plays instead of Arteta is way off the mark in my opinion.
    He still has alot to offer this team just like he has these last couple of years and can be relied upon again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So Luke Shaw doesn't know who Tony Adams is I'm not sure if that's as shocking as I think it is or just a sign I'm getting old.

On Arteta great servant great player but he's the wrong side of 30 and I do feel in some games we do need that little bit extra in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If he is good enough then age doesn't mean ****, we'll see after a few more games where Arteta is at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

If he is good enough then age doesn't mean ****, we'll see after a few more games where Arteta is at

It kinda does as we seen last year already at time that his legs were starting to go.

Arteta is a great player but anyone who thinks we don't need better is letting the fact he's an Arsenal player cloud there view.

For me City and Chelsea are our rivals and if we're being honest he wouldn't make there starting line ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So Luke Shaw doesn't know who Tony Adams is I'm not sure if that's as shocking as I think it is or just a sign I'm getting old.

He said the first World Cup he remembers is 2010. 2010! That can't be right, I'm 23 and remember 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

King still scoring for fun...With so much improvement in tech n science, can we not clone him or even pass on some of his ability to our strikers...:D

On a serious note though, As soon as he stops playing, Wenger should add him to his coaching staff.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/thierry-henry-continues-amazing-mls-4178770

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

King still scoring for fun...With so much improvement in tech n science, can we not clone him or even pass on some of his ability to our strikers...:D

On a serious note though, As soon as he stops playing, Wenger should add him to his coaching staff.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/thierry-henry-continues-amazing-mls-4178770

Fcuk me that's some strike...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Slow, yes. Gives the ball away? That's something I'd never say about him.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3853/Stages/7794/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014

3rd highest pass % last season, behind Kos and Mert.

So in fact Id say Arteta is our best passer.
    Kos and Mert spend half their time passing between themselves :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I take our passing stats with a pinch of salt. It would be interesting to see the same stat but only for passes in the final third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I take our passing stats with a pinch of salt. It would be interesting to see the same stat but only for passes in the final third.

That's not really relevant to Arteta though since he doesn'[t spend much time there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

My point was more to do with the stats than anything. A lot of time our passing is short lateral passes that simply move the ball around without any pressure. Passes anyone should be able to do.

It's the passes under pressure that would give a better indication of how good a passer he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Mr Blobby wrote: »

To be fair and I may eat my words here, Dortmund don't look too terrific lately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Thinking about going Arsenal vs Galatasary in Emirates, do people think I'd get stabbed?

Or what's the general consensus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Thinking about going Arsenal vs Galatasary in Emirates, do people think I'd get stabbed?

Or what's the general consensus

about as likely on a match day as a non match day in North London. In other words not very likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ah no, probably only a slightly higher chance of getting stabbed than usual :pac:

be aware of them though, more than you normally would be going to a game, i'd say
    londons' full of turks so they'll probably be a load of them there too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

batistuta9 wrote: »
    ah no, probably only a slightly higher chance of getting stabbed than usual :pac:

be aware of them though, more than you normally would be going to a game, i'd say
    londons' full of turks so they'll probably be a load of them there too.

Last year, a group of supporters trashed Piebury Corner, can't remember which team.

In fairness to the cops in London, they have the policing down to a fine art, any trouble starts and they come down on it like a ton of bricks pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

CatInABox wrote: »
    Last year, a group of supporters trashed Piebury Corner, can't remember which team.

Almost certain it was the Napoli game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Looks like Reus is out of the game next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

England team to face Switzerland: Hart, Stones, Cahill, Jones, Baines, Delph, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck

Wilshere and Welbeck playing for England tonight, looks like Welbeck will be on the wing though.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    England team to face Switzerland: Hart, Stones, Cahill, Jones, Baines, Delph, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck

Wilshere and Welbeck playing for England tonight, looks like Welbeck will be on the wing though.

Could well be a 4-4-2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Just listened to the new Arseblog pod where the discussed the rumour that Welbeck was a signing by Gazifis and the club and not necessarily AW.. I hadn't heard this and of course it's total bollocks but had anyone heard of this? I'm surprised they even acknowledged it tbh. They pointed out that we haven't had any direct quotes from AW about the player as of yet which is odd.. Just curious to see what people think!

Check your stats and u will realise u are way off the mark.
    Casual uneducated bashing of our players isnt doing anyone any favours.
    Transfer deadline day has gone and so have the dreams of buying the must have players.
    Every team has leaders and Arteta whether anyone likes it or not is one of ours.
    He does his job in his role better than most on a consistent basis.
    I wish he was faster and younger too. But anyone who wishes Flamini plays instead of Arteta is way off the mark in my opinion.
    He still has alot to offer this team just like he has these last couple of years and can be relied upon again this season.

My education comers from watching him play.
    I have seen him dispossessed many times. He is still better than Flamini though.
    I said he is the best we have BUT i stand by the point that we need much better.
    I notice you omitted to remark on the fact that he was playing when we were well beaten last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

My education comers from watching him play.
    I have seen him dispossessed many times. He is still better than Flamini though.
    I said he is the best we have BUT i stand by the point that we need much better.
    I notice you omitted to remark on the fact that he was playing when we were well beaten last season.

He wasn't exactly alone tbh. Mert and Kos play all of those?

I mean against Liverpool we conceded 2 set pieces in the first ten mins.

I'm not saying Arteta had a stormer or was faultless but it's rediculous that he shoulders the blame for stuff like that.

Collectively we bottled that, the Chelsea match and the 2 Utd matches. Additionally we did our best to do so in the semi and final of the cup but Wigan and Hull are more forgiving.

There is something rotten at the core of this club when it comes to dealing with pressure and replacing Arteta will do **** all.

Just listened to the new Arseblog pod where the discussed the rumour that Welbeck was a signing by Gazifis and the club and not necessarily AW.. I hadn't heard this and of course it's total bollocks but had anyone heard of this? I'm surprised they even acknowledged it tbh. They pointed out that we haven't had any direct quotes from AW about the player as of yet which is odd.. Just curious to see what people think!

Not a chance.

If that happened Wenger would walk.

gosplan wrote: »
    He wasn't exactly alone tbh. Mert and Kos play all of those?

I mean against Liverpool we conceded 2 set pieces in the first ten mins.

I'm not saying Arteta had a stormer or was faultless but it's rediculous that he shoulders the blame for stuff like that.

Collectively we bottled that, the Chelsea match and the 2 Utd matches. Additionally we did our best to do so in the semi and final of the cup but Wigan and Hull are more forgiving.

There is something rotten at the core of this club when it comes to dealing with pressure and replacing Arteta will do **** all.

Not blaming him entirely for that either BUT a good DM cuts out attacks and wins the ball back. Arteta doesn't do that consistently for me. In those tough away games we should have played both Arteta and Flamini and hoped for a breakaway goal in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Tbh iv always held Mert more responsible for the drubbings, more so that Arteta. Not a popular opinion but his lack of pace killed us in them games. We had to play so deep and couldnt push too far up.

Anyone watching the England match? How are our lads doing? Where is Welbeck playing?

Anyone watching the England match? How are our lads doing? Where is Welbeck playing?

Wilshire been very quite, Welbeck has done ok, he's a flier when he gets going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Welbeck brilliantly flicked the ball past the fullback and ran onto it, a simple 5 yard pass to sterling for a certain goal and he messed it up. Sums him up really.

Kirby wrote: »
    Welbeck brilliantly flicked the ball past the fullback and ran onto it, a simple 5 yard pass to sterling for a certain goal and he messed it up. Sums him up really.

He held onto it too long, Sterling should have gambled more there was a pair of them in it

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    He held onto it too long, Sterling should have gambled more there was a pair of them in it

There were both at fault.. Welbeck more so.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Goaaaaaaaaaaal for Danny!! 1-0.

And he scores great finish

BOOM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Get in there Danny lad!

He's playing great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Welbeck just scored for England !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nicely done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Love how he ran straight over to Ox and Chambers after scoring too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

dorgasm wrote: »
    Love how he ran straight over to Ox and Chambers after scoring too!

BxCWizaIEAIlq4S.jpg

Look forward to seeing plenty of this!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement