Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So do we reckon Wenger will start Welbeck the weekend?

I'd like him to over Sanogo and he is well used to the Epl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Jaysus that's speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

So do we reckon Wenger will start Welbeck the weekend?

I'd like him to over Sanogo and he is well used to the Epl.

He better, hes gone straight into my FF team :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Knowing Wenger he'll start Sanogo and Welbeck will come on for the final 20mins

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Straight from twitter:

TEAM NEWS: @KieranGibbs, @m8arteta and @MesutOzil1088 are fit and will be in the squad

Wenger: "Danny Welbeck is young and I feel he can improve his career here - he is confident"

Wenger: "We have to accept our schedule and deal with it. We dropped points against Leicester and we want to make up for it"

Wenger: "I cannot tell you if Welbeck will start [against City] but it's a possibility. I have to assess the squad"

Wenger: "Saturday is a good opportunity to show we have grown as a team and we are ready for the fight"

Wenger: "At home we played very well at 12.45. It's not about the kick-off time, it's about the performance"

Wenger: "I'm relieved that @aaronramsey's injury is not serious because we had a nightmare with him last year"

Wenger: "I was happy to take a permanent transfer with Danny Welbeck"

Wenger: "When you analyse Welbeck's game, he has the qualities to play down the middle but he is very versatile"

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He better, hes gone straight into my FF team :o

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

CatInABox wrote: »
    Straight from twitter:

Wenger: "When you analyse Welbeck's game, he has the qualities to play down the middle but he is very versatile"

this quote worries me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

this quote worries me

Wengers probably thinking of trying him as a DM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

1462866_378422015645861_5888674389567711260_n.jpg?oh=23f5f89aeec4797cb62847a31012b039&oe=5493130F&__gda__=1419011110_a58768abca75174302a178d267bcb5ad

Szczesny is at Centre Back now, so it's getting very versatile :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

CatInABox wrote: »
    Wengers probably thinking of trying him as a DM
    Some Utd fans actually think he'd make quite a good box to box mf due to his engine and ball control and technique...similar to Diaby I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Also what about Wengers quote that if he hadnt gone to Rome we would never have signed Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

wawaman wrote: »
    Also what about Wengers quote that if he hadnt gone to Rome we would never have signed Welbeck

I havent seen the entire press conference just the quotes so it could be somehow taken out of context by me but it seems just so completely unnecessary and petulant of Wenger. It brings even more unwanted scrutiny and pressure on Welbeck now.

Hadn't heard that. Thats a very strange thing for him to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think he means that the deal was done because he was up early for his flight, whilst everyone else was zzzzzzing. Probably a stretch to say the deal wouldn't have been done otherwise.

“The advantage of that day was I got up at 6am and was available the whole day.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think he means that the deal was done because he was up early for his flight, whilst everyone else was zzzzzzing. Probably a stretch to say the deal wouldn't have been done otherwise.

“The advantage of that day was I got up at 6am and was available the whole day.”

Bit naieve to think everyone was sleeping.

I guarantee every manager was up early doing exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Hadn't heard that. Thats a very strange thing for him to say.

It's just Wenger acting smarter than everyone again.

Basically calling us fans idiots for questioning why he is not in the UK on deadline day, eg they have an invention called a phone and video conferencing.

Been doing it for years, more so lately.It's his ultimate down fall, looking down on the common fans and thinking he is so much smarter.

A lot of fans eat it up and think he is a great , charming man.

In his old age I am finding him to be a lot more streaky and arrogant.

If he finishes 4th again, it's not his fault, can't compete with the money being spent by bigger rivals.

Thing you find with Wenger is it's never his fault, for even the very wise cannot see all ends.

AHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Two completely different statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

this quote worries me

Here's the full quotes, not much to worry about I don't think

TbJKiHq.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    It's just Wenger acting smarter than everyone again.

Basically calling us fans idiots for questioning why he is not in the UK on deadline day, eg they have an invention called a phone and video conferencing.

Been doing it for years, more so lately.It's his ultimate down fall, looking down on the common fans and thinking he is so much smarter.

A lot of fans eat it up and think he is a great , charming man.

In his old age I am finding him to be a lot more streaky and arrogant.

If he finishes 4th again, it's not his fault, can't compete with the money being spent by bigger rivals.

Thing you find with Wenger is it's never his fault, for even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Did Wenger run over your cat or something?

Did Wenger run over your cat or something?

And then criticise the cat for being fast enough to get out of the way?

Auld Fergie must have been involved here in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So now Arsene looks down on the fans and thinks he is smarter than everyone else just because of a few comments in a press conference. Christ this thread would make you despair sometimes.

So now Arsene looks down on the fans and thinks he is smarter than everyone else just because of a few comments in a press conference. Christ this thread would make you despair sometimes.

Not Ebeneezer!

**everyone not ebeneezer

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not Ebeneezer!

**everyone not ebeneezer

I've just had a rather great parody of A Christmas Carol play out in my head where Y2KBOS86 is visited by the three apparitions of Rocky Rocastle(past), Santi Cazorla(present) and Gedion Zelalem(future). He was surprisingly good in the musical numbers.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've just had a rather great parody of A Christmas Carol play out in my head where Y2KBOS86 is visited by the three apparitions of Rocky Rocastle(past), Santi Cazorla(present) and Gedion Zelalem(future). He was surprisingly good in the musical numbers.

Excellent!

Soups123 wrote: »
    Auld Fergie must have been involved here in a big way.

Why do you reckon?

Why do you reckon?

Just from reading the telegraph articale, says Fergie was in Italy with him, said he spoke to him but wont repeat it and said maybe that the only for the coincidence of him (Wenger) being in Rome that day the deal may not have happened, and that he would explain that one day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Just from reading the telegraph articale, says Fergie was in Italy with him, said he spoke to him but wont repeat it and said maybe that the only for the coincidence of him (Wenger) being in Rome that day the deal may not have happened, and that he would explain that one day!

No, the article doesn't say that Ferguson and Wenger were in Rome together that day.
    They were at a UEFA conference later in the week and discussed the signing then - after it had gone through.

RayCun wrote: »
    No, the article doesn't say that Ferguson and Wenger were in Rome together that day.
    They were at a UEFA conference later in the week and discussed the signing then - after it had gone through.

Misread that part, still something in the coincedence of being in rome on that day with regards to the deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Strange fergie would help Wenger with this transfer.

He must be gone soft or he is trolling Wenger again..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Misread that part, still something in the coincedence of being in rome on that day with regards to the deal

He really is going to have a great autobiography one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

maybe he headed to the vatican, lit a candle and prayed for a striker (who he can also throw out to the left when he had giroud back)

this is more likely imo
    fergie: 'cannae believe them bunch of fúcking dafties sold you welbeck'

Ive said it to Arsenal and Utd supporting mates and probably on the Chelsea thread too, selling you guys Webeck was a mistake by Utd.

If Spurs were interested, regardless of the price he should have been sold to them. I'm fairly confident that Spurs wont be a huge threat for top 4 this year but if Utd want to get top 4 the last thing they should have done was sold Welbeck to you, it directly strengthens you and while theyre not weakened at all, the fact theyve sold to a direct rival for 4th coudl be costly, especially if Welbeck goes on to win vital points in games and Utd finish 5th by a point or two or on GD, in fact I'd love if that happened, I'm sure ye'd rather Welbeck won ye the league but pipping Utd to 4th would be great to see. :pac:

I'd have sold him to Spurs anyway but you've done well to get him given ye desperately needed another since Giroud was out and Utd took 16million, the way English guys are valued, I'm surprised he was sold for under 20million.

It could be an oversight on there part or maybe not, time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

I have to agree, 16m for an established England international with the physical attributes, homegrown status and experience he has is a very decent price – although he’s on a high wage which would temper his purchase price. Realistically were spurs going to match his 90 to 100k a week wage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Ive said it to Arsenal and Utd supporting mates and probably on the Chelsea thread too, selling you guys Webeck was a mistake by Utd.

If Spurs were interested, regardless of the price he should have been sold to them. I'm fairly confident that Spurs wont be a huge threat for top 4 this year but if Utd want to get top 4 the last thing they should have done was sold Welbeck to you, it directly strengthens you and while theyre not weakened at all, the fact theyve sold to a direct rival for 4th coudl be costly, especially if Welbeck goes on to win vital points in games and Utd finish 5th by a point or two or on GD, in fact I'd love if that happened, I'm sure ye'd rather Welbeck won ye the league but pipping Utd to 4th would be great to see. :pac:

I'd have sold him to Spurs anyway but you've done well to get him given ye desperately needed another since Giroud was out and Utd took 16million, the way English guys are valued, I'm surprised he was sold for under 20million.

That's the thing with players though, you can't just sell them to whoever you want, they have to want the move as well and in fairness who in their right mind would want to move to Spurs if there was a chance to go to Arsenal instead.

I think the fact they sold Welbeck and Kagawa for less than they bought Luke Shaw for just demonstrates how badly they needed certain types of players and how dire of a state their payroll had got into. Arsenal, Dortmund and Southampton held the best hand in all of those transfers.

They're gonna be paying the likes of Nani, Young and Fellaini a fortune for the rest of their current contracts, no one is ever going to offer them that sort of money again, why would they move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Interesting comment quoting Wenger saying that he would not have bought Wellbeck had he been in London at the time. Some unrest behind the scenes maybe, hopefully not.

Covered in the past couple of pages!

• Advertisement

Paj wrote: »
    I have to agree, 16m for an established England international with the physical attributes, homegrown status and experience he has is a very decent price – although he’s on a high wage which would temper his purchase price. Realistically were spurs going to match his 90 to 100k a week wage?

I think given it was deadline day and Arsenal needed a CF, United pushed the panic button over Falcao and wanted Welbeck out, which probably saved Arsenal a few million. Its good business by Arsenal and IMO, its got a greater chance of success than failure.

London is a huge draw and Arsenal are a bigger draw than Spurs, its pretty simple really. Even if both were offering similar terms you'd have to pick Arsenal over Spurs, UCL football, greater chances of winning silverware, better manager with a proven record, even if Spurs matched the wages.

Honestly, I'd say AW wasn't that pushed on Welbeck. He probably had the same opinion of him as most Arsenal fans prior to his arrival. But sometimes things are not always as they seem.

Whatever the reason for his signing I'm convinced that with a run of games behind him Welbeck can become an important player for us.

I have said that pace is a very important part of modern football. Apart from the attacking benefits it also lessens the pressure on the defence as the opposition can't gamble with constant pressure high up the field.

Welbeck has bags of pace, seems to be able to score regardless of what his touch is like and is a strong presence when needed

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd say AW wasn't that pushed on Welbeck. He probably had the same opinion of him as most Arsenal fans prior to his arrival. But sometimes things are not always as they seem.

Whatever the reason for his signing I'm convinced that with a run of games behind him Welbeck can become an important player for us.

I have said that pace is a very important part of modern football. Apart from the attacking benefits it also lessens the pressure on the defence as the opposition can't gamble with constant pressure high up the field.

Welbeck has bags of pace, seems to be able to score regardless of what his touch is like and is a strong presence when needed

I really can't see this being the case, he spent way too much money by his standards to be a bit meh about it all.

Welbeck is very much a Wenger type signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Id imagine that Wenger didn't even have Welbeck on his radar as we are the only club that likes to sell to rivals, but Id say Welbeck was touted about to get some money in for Utd and it was all very last minute with not too much thought. That said I think Welbeck could be a good signing and given game will prove to be worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Kuba (Błaszczykowski) is also out of our CL game with BVB.

So far they have the following out:

Kuba
    Reus
    Sahin
    Schmelzer
    Gundogan

Thats 5 starters.

Edit: Immobile may also be out

Little update.
    Its seems Kagawa and Hummels may also be out.

So thats a possible BVB team missing:

Kuba
    Reus
    Sahin
    Schmelzer
    Gundogan
    Immobile
    Kagawa
    Hummels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Anybody that thinks Wenger didnt fancy Welbeck needs to give there head a shake. No way the club would of sanctioned the move without Arsene's approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That's the thing with players though, you can't just sell them to whoever you want, they have to want the move as well

I'm still amazed that this is the way it works for American Football in the NFL. Teams just....trade players. The players basically have zero say. It's amazing. Totally bonkers.

Take Borini for instance. Sunderland wanted him. Liverpool wanted rid of him. The player didn't fancy it so the deal breaks down and he stays a Liverpool player. Would never happen in other sports. If he was in an American sport, he would just show up one day for training and they would have handed him his stuff and said cheerio.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Little update.
    Its seems Kagawa and Hummels may also be out.

So thats a possible BVB team missing:

Kuba
    Reus
    Sahin
    Schmelzer
    Gundogan
    Immobile
    Kagawa
    Hummels
    Stop that for a bit, the list is going to shrink before the match and it's just false hope. :P

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Anybody that thinks Wenger didnt fancy Welbeck needs to give there head a shake. No way the club would of sanctioned the move without Arsene's approval.

For clarity, what i was saying is that AW didn't actively go out and enquire about Welbeck. I'd say he was approached on the day, got some advice from players and made up his mind that it was a good deal.

We all know that AW would never pay for something he didn't 100% agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I don't think Wenger was looking at Welbek until someone told him he was available and with Giroud out it was only a matter of how much did United want for him. Had Giroud gotten injured earlier, we wouldn't have signed Welbek. He'd have found someone else, someone he was already looking at.

I hope it works out for him (obviously) and he looks to be in good form based on the England game. He has experience with a couple of the other players due to England so should settle nice and quickly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement