Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

U21 game v Villa live on SS2 and Arsenal player now. For some reason, we're wearing the home shirt with the away shorts and socks...looks odd!

Line up: Martinez, Bellerin, O'Connor, Hayden, Ormonde-Ottewill, Maitland-Niles, Diaby, Coquelin, Crowley, Zelalem, Akpom

Subs: Macey, Ajayi, Moore, Jebb, Iwobi

Van Gaal says Welbeck was sold because he did not score enough goals. Perfect motivation for the lad, cheers Louis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Van Gaal says Welbeck was sold because he did not score enough goals. Perfect motivation for the lad, cheers Louis!

In fairness he's not wrong.. That being said he didn't mention why he was stupid enough to sell to a Rival.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    In fairness he's not wrong.. That being said he didn't mention why he was stupid enough to sell to a Rival.

It might wash if he had been given a proper chance up front and still failed to score. Wonder how many goals RVP would score from the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Lots of lads on show here who might make the 1st team some day. Zelalem, Crowley, Bellerin, Akpom... Diaby. :p

2-0 up against Villa - Akpom with both goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

That second goal from Akpom was a really nice finish. Hopefully he gets a bit more of a chance this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

How was Diaby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thank god this thread is getting up to speed again, those feckin international breaks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

How was Diaby?

Didn't see the game but he lasted 90 minutes which is a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

He was decent , playing with Coquelin as the double pivots in a 4-2-3-1. He got about grand, made a few good interceptions and played some nice passes. It's prob more about testing his fitness for himself at that level.

Akpom looked really sharp and Zelalem had a lovely assist for the 2nd one. Crowley looked very comfortable considering he's just gone 17. Definitely gonna be a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

2ndcoming wrote: »
    He was decent , playing with Coquelin as the double pivots in a 4-2-3-1. He got about grand, made a few good interceptions and played some nice passes. It's prob more about testing his fitness for himself at that level.

Akpom looked really sharp and Zelalem had a lovely assist for the 2nd one. Crowley looked very comfortable considering he's just gone 17. Definitely gonna be a player.

Yeah think Crowley is a gem of a player. Zelalem is quality but I think he's still too skinny. Needs to beef up a bit and go on loan as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Is there any city players that won't be fully match fit against us after the international break?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Is there any city players that won't be fully match fit against us after the international break?

Jovetic is a doubt I heard

• Advertisement

Great motivational speech by Van Gaal. Let's hope it gets the best out of Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

greendom wrote: »

A load of bull we needed a DF cover and a new DM more than we need world peace............

He should have entered the rose of tralee if thats the sort of stuff he is into

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I hope AW starts Welbeck tomorrow to show some confidence in him so we can really take advantage of Welbecks eager to prove something.

Putting him on the bench may be a little too much of an anti-climax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Soups123 wrote: »
    A load of bull we needed a DF cover and a new DM more than we need world peace............

Now in fairness...i know what your saying and agree, but seeing that statement really puts our priorities into perspective :P

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »

All's well that ends well, not sure I believe him that the deal wouldn't have happened had he not gone to Rome, but him being out of London should not stop any potential deals from going through

Now in fairness...i know what your saying and agree, but seeing that statement really puts our priorities into perspective :P

You do know I was joking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So are we to take from all this that if Wenger was in London that day, we'd have signed nobody on deadline day? Am I the only one annoyed by that, given the holes in the squad?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

keano_afc wrote: »
    So are we to take from all this that if Wenger was in London that day, we'd have signed nobody on deadline day? Am I the only one annoyed by that, given the holes in the squad?

The way I read it is that we would have signed someone if Wenger had gotten up early, regardless of where he was.

It's all Sh*te though, he's heard that people are complaining that he went off to Rome on deadline day, and so came up with any reason to put a positive spin on it. Welbeck would have been bought regardless of where Wenger was.

Personally speaking, I have no issues with him going off, he has a team of people to put together deals, and he certainly doesn't need to be hands on with every part of it. In fact, I'm surprised that he didn't just say that going to Rome was playing hardball with Man Utd, forcing them to do a better deal/sell instead of loan.

keano_afc wrote: »

I don't think that's a safe assumption at all

I think he was just being a bit of a smart arse tbh in response to all the typical questions about him being away on deadline day etc

Was he questioned about why he didnt sign a CB at all yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hayden supposedly had a great game yesterday too. Though its a big step up to senior level from U-21. Lets hope he can do it. Akpom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

cson wrote: »
    Hayden supposedly had a great game yesterday too. Though its a big step up to senior level from U-21. Lets hope he can do it. Akpom too.

Glad someone mentioned this

If anyone off this team is going to jump into the first team anytime soon it's Hayden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Anybody that thinks Wenger didnt fancy Welbeck needs to give there head a shake. No way the club would of sanctioned the move without Arsene's approval.

Saturday morning will tell the tale.
    If Wenger starts Sanogo ahead of Welbeck then I doubt he wanted him badly.
    If Welbeck starts then we'll know for sure. Both being fit of course.

• Advertisement

Saturday morning will tell the tale.
    If Wenger starts Sanogo ahead of Welbeck then I doubt he wanted him badly.
    If Welbeck starts then we'll know for sure. Both being fit of course.

There's a bit more that might come into it than that, mainly that Welbeck has never played with the team before. But yeah I really do hopes he starts him and at centre forward.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He went straight into my fantasy team he better bloody start :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There's a bit more that might come into it than that, mainly that Welbeck has never played with the team before. But yeah I really do hopes he starts him and at centre forward.

The fact that he's in form and scored two in midweek counters that argument for me. He simply has to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If Ozil starts on the left tomorrow and Zab at right back for them im writing off tomorrows game. Their right side is brilliant. I wouldnt even mind if we go Gibbs and Monreal down the left, just put Ozil centrally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sorry but Sanogo should be used from the bench when we're winning or when simply an extra body up front might make the difference.

Maybe he'll get a goal or two that way and kick on.

He should never start though, not until he's proven he can at least score the odd goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Banter from Podolski!
    BxWwaLPIYAEe-ln.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Jovetic out tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Gonna miss him as much as some of you despise him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

byrneg28 wrote: »

Jesus thats a bit harsh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Hyperbole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Losing giroud for this long is worse than losing ramsey for the same length of time in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Hey lads and lasses, is there any service online that you can pay for that will mean you can stream all of the games HD on a laptop? If so can anyone attest to their quality? Living abroad and I feel I may get arrested if Im knocking on the pub door at 4.45am tomorrow..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The way some people go on is excessive to be honest. Personally, I don't think that he's good enough long term, but I'll support him so long as he is part of the team.

The people who despised him were the posters who came on here after he got injured and said things along the lines of "Good, will force Wengers hand now". While I can understand a lot of the complaints made towards a player, I will never, ever, wish a player gets an injury, even an opposing player.

Every time I look at a player I don't like, and a thought sneaks into my head that it would be better if he gets injured, then I think of Abou Diaby. I thought he was going to be a brilliant player before he got injured, and to be honest, I thought that he would have quit by now, but in fact, it's one of the most awe inspiring stories of the Premier League that he is fighting back and wants to be in contention.

It's also one of the reasons that I love Arsenal and Arsene. For better or worse, Arsenal is probably the few teams in the Premier League in which such a long term injury would be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Darren Fletcher..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Kirby wrote: »
    Darren Fletcher..........

We have the one Manchester United player, we don't need to be buying their injury prone ones, and he isn't the answer to our dm problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

byrneg28 wrote: »

He's scored some delish goals for us to be fair. That one against Sp*rs in the 1-0 before we signed Ozil is one of my faves.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Banter from Podolski!
    BxWwaLPIYAEe-ln.jpg

Cazorla is wondering how he's looking at 2 Gibbses when there's already a Gibbs behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

To state the obvious, this match is a must not lose.. A win could really kick start our season and hopefully we'll play well considering we haven't really got going so far this year despite being unbeaten.. So let's hope they throw down marker, show no fear, are tactically and mentally prepared and really go for it.. Nice early 4.45am kick off here in Vamcouver !

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

To state the obvious, this match is a must not lose.. A win could really kick start our season and hopefully we'll play well considering we haven't really got going so far this year despite being unbeaten.. So let's hope they throw down marker, show no fear, are tactically and mentally prepared and really go for it.. Nice early 4.45am kick off here in Vamcouver !

Are you also drinking till dawn?! Sitting on commercial with beers waiting for the match!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cazorla is wondering how he's looking at 2 Gibbses when there's already a Gibbs behind him.

I see three Gibbses not including the one behind him. If City play their Gibbs today the poor lad's head will explode.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement