Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Soups123 wrote: »
    Listen I could list 20 better forwards than Giroud easily and most could be got with money, but there are no guarantees and I'm not a scout.

I doubt you could list 20 forwards that had a better season that Giroud last year - let alone 20 who would be available

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I doubt you could list 20 forwards that had a better season that Giroud last year - let alone 20 who would be available

TBH I wont bother my hole but it wasnt 20 better than last season it was just 20 better forwards and it is easily done but to my own opinion. If you read my posts I rate the guys just not as convinced as others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Using the excuse of Arsenal's history of always having a 20+ striker is making us want one or a better one is bollocks imo

World Class CF's win league. Ferguson knew this bought RVP and won the league. You do need a team around them but they are a very important cog, Giroud missed some huge chances in big games were chances don't come to often.His finishing leaves a lot to be desired, he is great at link up play but don't we have Ozil for that?

Can we afford that again next season I'm not sure?

I like Giroud but also think if we over rely on him again this season we will fall short.

I'm hoping one of three things we sign a CF ( never pay attention to what Wenger tells the media during silly season) Sanchez plays central in some games flanked by Ox and Walcott or Campbell stays and steps up to prove a good alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Whats the story on Manquillo it looked to be done and dusted this time last week ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Whats the story on Manquillo it looked to be done and dusted this time last week ?

Looks like he is off to Liverpool. Supposedly we wanted a buy option and they were hesitant. Dont know did Liverpool get one but they might have. We are looking at Peruzzi.

• Advertisement

TBH I wont bother my hole but it wasnt 20 better than last season it was just 20 better forwards and it is easily done but to my own opinion.

but isnt that the point. He can either do a job or he can't. No point in listing better forwards if they haven't performed.

Across Europe last season their was only 3 stand out forwards and they all play in Spain now and cost ridiculous amounts - after that there is only a couple of goals separating the next number and Giroud is well within the mix of them.

And remember, even by his own admission, he hasn't reached the heights that he can.

Arsenal last year - especially in the last quarter of the season, were easy to defend against. Just one threat up front and no pace in the side.

This season should see a change to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

20 better forwards or 20 better lone forwards would be my question

gosplan wrote: »
    20 better forwards or 20 better lone forwards would be my question

20 better forwards.

But tbh lone forward, needing runners etc. are all potential excuses. 1st season he was new, second he was overplayed, third will be defining.

I think he could go either way this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Giroud without speed around him and Giroud with speed around him are two totally different things, and to judge him only on the one is unfair. When he had walcott beside him he showed excellent form. Its not just coincidence that his dip in form was during the period of Wallys injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I'm not going to get into the argument of how good Giroud is and how well he suits our title challenge. But I will say this:

It is great to have a player who is almost always available for us. The man doesn't get injured (despite all the times we seem him on the ground in agony).

He did get tired at times last season but who wouldn't in his shoes. Every match is a huge physical challenge for him, fighting with 2 centre backs.

He deserves his credit for this. He doesn't go tweaking muscles every month.

• Advertisement

Sorry if this has been posted already but former 'favourite' Andros Santos released by Flamengo just two days after being attacked by his own fans for a typical rubbish performance.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/490590/Arsenal-flop-Andre-Santos-released-by-Flamengo-after-being-ATTACKED-by-own-fans

Well he remains consistent ill give him that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Maybe he still needed a kick up the arse lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Goal.com reports that David Ospina is a done deal.
    If true, another position covered. two to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Not much happening today. We've signed 15 year old CM Georgios Spanoudakis from Barcelona after he rejected an offer to extend his contract at La Masia. Ospina not officially confirmed yet.

Wenger has given extended leave until 11th August to Mert, Özil and Podolski so they will miss the Community Shield on 10th August. The French contingent are to return on Monday while Sanchez should link up with the squad some time next week. He will more than likely make his debut in the first Emirates Cup game v Benfica.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Not much happening today. We've signed 15 year old CM Georgios Spanoudakis from Barcelona after he rejected an offer to extend his contract at La Masia. Ospina not officially confirmed yet.

Wenger has given extended leave until 11th August to Mert, Özil and Podolski so they will miss the Community Shield on 10th August. The French contingent are to return on Monday while Sanchez should link up with the squad some time next week. He will more than likely make his debut in the first Emirates Cup game v Benfica.
    If they are not returning till the 11th surely they wont be there for the opening game 6 days later.

If verm goes we really need to have someone in who can start that game beside kos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Been busy the last few days.. I just saw on Sky that Liverpool look to have beaten us to Manquillo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Been busy the last few days.. I just saw on Sky that Liverpool look to have beaten us to Manquillo

"Beaten us"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Listen I could list 20 better forwards than Giroud easily

Off you go, since it would be so easy. Curious to see if you can even make it to 10 who did better.

Who did better when? Because as has already being said I said better strikers not better last season.

It really gets petty on here sometimes.

Who did better when? Because as has already being said I said better strikers not better last season.

Name 20 thats better and available so.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

And again why available? That's not what was said

How about name 20 that must have the letter P in there name ?

You said you could easily list 20 better. Are we going to see the likes of Pele on this list? Common sense would dictate right now, meaning based on the season just gone. I'm pretty sure you would struggle for 10, let alone 20. Probably 5 if you only go with realistic targets.

And again why available? That's not what was said

How about name 20 that must have the letter P in there name ?

Whats the point of naming strikers that arent available. Youve been called out and now you cant name them. Just admit it.

I dont believe that the quality isnt out there. Look at Chelsea, they were in the same boat as us on the striker front. Signed a top player and if they get Drogba, that position now becomes formidable for them.

I'll have a go but I don't buy the 'better and available' thing. i also am not gling to bother arguing about which season. theae are 20 forwards I feel would have been better for us to have in that position last season.

I am however a big fan of Giroud and I think he's going to be awesome. Most of the criticism of him is because people just don't of refuse to see that playing him as a lone striker with 5 CMF's is jut plain wrong.
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    01. Ronaldo
    02. Suarez
    03. RVP
    04. Rooney
    05. Ageuro
    06. The Zlatan
    07. Cavani
    08. Lewandowski
    09. Falcao
    10. Higuain
    11. Messi
    12. Tevez
    13. Mandzukic
    14. Dzeko
    15. Jovetic
    16. Gomez
    17. Costa

That's all I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Raf32 wrote: »
    I dont believe that the quality isnt out there. Look at Chelsea, they were in the same boat as us on the striker front. Signed a top player and if they get Drogba, that position now becomes formidable for them.

He's 36 and not very good any more.

Except against us!

Whats the point of naming strikers that arent available. Youve been called out and now you cant name them. Just admit it.

Called out wrongly I said I could name 20 better strikers, never said last season or available or any other crap, I also said it would be my opinion. You changed the goalposts not me
    Suarez
    Aguero
    Benzema
    Muller
    Rooney
    RVP
    Costa
    Dzeko
    Messi
    Ronaldo
    Ibrahimavic
    Falcao
    Lewandoski
    Gomez
    Neymar
    Mandzukic
    Balotelli
    Higuain
    Cavani
    Rodriguez

Apologies for spelling and this doesn't include many other boarder line calls

He's 36 and not very good any more.

Except against us!

only backup though to one of the best strikers in europe
    I hate the Drog so much :pac:

Called out wrongly I said I could name 20 better strikers, never said last season or available or any other crap, I also said it would be my opinion. You changed the goalposts not me
    Suarez
    Aguero
    Benzema
    Muller
    Rooney
    RVP
    Costa
    Dzeko
    Messi
    Ronaldo
    Ibrahimavic
    Falcao
    Lewandoski
    Gomez
    Neymar
    Mandzukic
    Balotelli
    Higuain
    Cavani
    Rodriguez

I'm going with soups here!! Though I disagree on Balotelli and would be unsure about Neymar as a lone forward.

What happens though when you want two wide forwards bouncing off the striker.

Then I feel players like Balotelli, Dzeko, Gomez, Mandzukic etc all drop down the list. Costa too IMO.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm going with soups here!! Though I disagree on Balotelli and would be unsure about Neymar as a lone forward.

What happens though when you want two wide forwards bouncing off the striker.

Then I feel players like Balotelli, Dzeko, Gomez, Mandzukic etc all drop down the list. Costa too IMO.

There'll always be a % people differ on and I agree with a lot of what you and Byrne said earlier. With how it looks like we might set up to play next year Giroud could be spot on.

I am more than happy to start the season with him leading the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Suggest a better striker who is available in this current moment time within our remaining transfer funds.

This is completely irrelevant to me stating that Giroud isnt good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Justice for Jackson Martinez!
    And Sturridge and Lukaku for worthy mentions in the fair good strikers category.

Just on available it's not known to you or I who is, could you imagine if people were shouting out for Ozil and Sanchez 12 months back, unavailable would have been spouted but we got them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I will eat my hat if Costa scores more goals than Giroud next season.

Costa would have been an awful signing for us.

But he's right about a lack of strikers this year.

About what 6 or 7 of the players on that list moved last year?

This year, it's what Costa, Lewandowski and Suarez. The idea of a Wenger playing Costa is rediculous and we had no hope of the other two.

Sanchez is the best striker we could possibly get this season.

• Advertisement

Suarez
    Aguero
    Benzema
    Muller
    Rooney
    RVP
    Costa
    Dzeko
    Messi
    Ronaldo
    Ibrahimavic
    Falcao
    Lewandoski
    Gomez
    Neymar
    Mandzukic
    Balotelli
    Higuain
    Cavani
    Rodriguez

It seems my mistake was thinking you were actually interested in a debate but apparently not. What is the point in saying their are better players if they are not an option? The whole argument is about improving on Giroud. Why on earth are you including the likes of Messi? He is never going to be an Arsenal player, likewise with a lot of your list.

Very, very few of those players are actual options.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It seems my mistake was thinking you were actually interested in a debate but apparently not. What is the point in saying their are better players if they are not an option? The whole argument is about improving on Giroud. Why on earth are you including the likes of Messi? He is never going to be an Arsenal player, likewise with a lot of your list.

Very, very few of those players are actual options.

Show me were my arguement said we need to improve on Giroud? I HAVE SAID ABOUT 5 TIMES NOW I AM HAPPY TO SEE HIM START AS THE MAIN STRIKER.

It is okay to like other strikers, it is okay to say he is not the best its the same posters in this thread every time that get petty when anybody goes in a slightly negative slant.

Of that list if a club who has money, who has world class players, who has champions league can turn the head of atleast one, for sure same way we have Ozil and Sanchez now

No offense but this is a lazy response that has been said many times. This isnt an excuse, players can be got if you really want them.

Me personally I am not sure what side of the fence I am on, some very good arguements for why he will work next season but also the I dont think what we just saw (season gone) is good enough for a title winning team.

Probably sitting on the I would like to see him 1 more season side because there is the potential he could explode.
    As I said I am a little on the fence but I liked both your and Gosplans arguments for.

Listen I could list 20 better forwards than Giroud easily and most could be got with money, but there are no guarantees and I'm not a scout.

I said in my post I would like to see him lead the line this year because I think he has the potential to explode
    Yep agree to an extent. Fans get to see and know the players we have, scouts though find the talent we dont see and based on scouting feel they fit best, like how we found Wright, Henry, RVP etc.

Problem is people get to see Giroud and lets be honest he let us down last year for a fair bit, in his defense he was overplayed and not being challenged with direct competition.

That all said I want to see what he can do with Sanchez and Walcott on the flanks
    TBH I wont bother my hole but it wasnt 20 better than last season it was just 20 better forwards and it is easily done but to my own opinion. If you read my posts I rate the guys just not as convinced as others
    20 better forwards.

But tbh lone forward, needing runners etc. are all potential excuses. 1st season he was new, second he was overplayed, third will be defining.

I think he could go either way this season
    There'll always be a % people differ on and I agree with a lot of what you and Byrne said earlier. With how it looks like we might set up to play next year Giroud could be spot on.

I am more than happy to start the season with him leading the line

I have bolded my comments in support of the player just to avoid lazy reading

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

No games

No transfer talk

So we all try kill eachother :-)

STFU or we'll start giving it to Ramsey :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

It's like fcking eastenders in here, why is it so hard to understand that some people like certain players more than others? it's really not a big deal, you can "debate" all you like but it will get you no where, it's not like you can google who is better Giroud or Mandzukic and get a definitive answer.

Giroud is not the best striker in the world, and there are most certainly 20+ better strikers out there than him, just because he plays for "your" club doesn't all of a sudden make him a star, most prob never even heard of him when he was in France.

Soups is making a simple point, this is really Giroud's last season to perform, he simply must have a good season or we can't justify keeping him. If Wenger wanted to replace him with someone "better" he could, that is evident with the signing of Sanchez, however it would seem Wenger also has faith that Giroud will become a great striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Being linked with nastasic today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Hmmm, he's a decent lad, needs alot of work tho.

STFU or we'll start giving it to Ramsey :)

Dont even go there

Personally I like Giroud. I think he works hard, has a lot to offer and scores goals. Do I think he's good enough to be the main striker in a championship winning team - yes I do.

Do I agree that this is his last season to prove himself - no. In fact those that suggest it is need to re-evaluate his contribution so far. He had a great 2013-2014 season. Scored 16 league goals - 6th highest in the league (Both Suarez and Sturridge failed to win the league).

He has the potential to kick on from this and if he gives us the same stats next season we should be overjoyed.

Is it possible to buy a better striker - yes of course, but don't take away from what Giroud has given us as if it is sub-bar and he's a second rate striker

Thomas Eisfeld has signed for Fulham on a permanent deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Woot, my retro jersey arrived yesterday

315592.jpg

Thomas Eisfeld has signed for Fulham on a permanent deal.

Good move for him

Good move for him

Ya he looked to have serious potential but just couldn't seem to push on. The injury he suffered before he joined us may have been in factor in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

I guess the urge to play with Ross McCormack was to much to resist

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement