Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

HazDanz wrote: »
    We weren't far off today, one or two small things needed to change and we will be there.

From a goal down to grafting to 2-1 up was excellent. Such a shame we eroded that super attacking play for the lead for a bloody set piece.

I thought we lost all concentration when the injury happened

Excited to see Welbeck and Sanchez play together when they click

Flamini shouldn't start another game either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Happy enough with a point, could have gone either way so its hard to know how to feel really.

Plus points - Jacks performance, Sanchez and Wellbeck constantly pressing players and closing down, something we've seriously lacked for a while. the fightback was pleasing to see too.

Negatives - play Ozil in the middle or not at all, down the left and right just doesnt suit.
    Substitutions, Ozil having a stinker yet played the whole game, Ox being brought on in the 88th minutes was crazy too, at least give him 20 minutes.
    Ramsey been off colour for a few games now too.
    Debuchy's injury - might be severely costly if its serious.
    Flamini is too slow for a top 4 side, like his attitude but he's just not quite good enough
    Set piece defending needs a lot of working on as well

Four of the six goals Arsenal have conceded this season have been headers.

We need to sort this shît out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Anyone know if we can recall Jenkinson back from West ham?

Getting a little worried that Madrid let ozil leave for a reason. Tell me not to worry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Steve WilsonVerified account
    @SteveWilson1967
    Debuchy bad strain no break #afc
    Hopefully he is right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Love this photo. Arsenal really know how to treat their women's team!

10603504_810334442330714_483151049670985144_n.jpg?oh=9badd808c56ba8f7f2c9658febb98321&oe=5492E616&__gda__=1418746667_19b042f25431e752e79d94c6078c967d

This is pretty embarrassing. I hate Zonal marking
    Bxa2oR9IcAAhVyH.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Four of the six goals Arsenal have conceded this season have been headers.

We need to sort this shît out

It's been happening for years now though, they either don't see that there's a problem or they're too incompetent to sort it out. It's embarrassing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Considering we shit ourselves after we went ahead, a draw isnt a bad result.

Pros: Jack was superb. Sanchez will win us games on his own. Welback will be a threat once he's clued in.

Cons: Ramsey not fit, should have been hauled off for Chambo. City's first came from Aguero's run not being tracked. Glaring hole in the team and yet still not filled. Proper box to box MF would probably cut that out. We're going to have to play all 3 CBs for the foreseeable future. Dreadful squad management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

"Debuchy has a bad ankle sprain. I don't know how long he will be out for but it doesn't look too good" - Wenger

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

"Debuchy has a bad ankle sprain. I don't know how long he will be out for but it doesn't look too good" - Wenger

Ouch.

Mert got a bad one a couple of seasons ago that took ages to heal. Can we recall Jenko?

BTW, flamini is terrible.

Always has been useless, and has list the little bit of opace he had.

Should be sold in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Love this photo. Arsenal really know how to treat their women's team!

10603504_810334442330714_483151049670985144_n.jpg?oh=9badd808c56ba8f7f2c9658febb98321&oe=5492E616&__gda__=1418746667_19b042f25431e752e79d94c6078c967d

And of course Giroud is licking his lips in the photo :pac:

• Advertisement

BTW, flamini is terrible.

Always has been useless, and has list the little bit of opace he had.

Should be sold in January.

Not true..

And its pointless selling him.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Haha, yeah! Wouldn't have spotted it myself only for the comments underneath the photo on facebook.

Sanchez looks miserable beside Galway's Niamh Fahy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Raf32 wrote: »
    This is pretty embarrassing. I hate Zonal marking

noting wrong with it if it's done right. criticised far too much because it not now the english like to defend.
    & arsenal had a good record - best actually - from conceding from set plays last year. only 7 it was

ozil partly responsible for that goal, he should be blocking demichelis

We need to get Ramsey and wilshere playing together behind ozil,
    One attack one defend and forget a out flamini and arteta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

He cant help it Hes Gorgeous :D

• Advertisement

We mixed the good with the bad today. We attacked City and were unlucky not to have taken the lead with Welbeck going extremely close. He had a great game despite perhaps not getting the service he should have been getting afterwards.

Sanchez and Wilshere had great games. Ramsey seems to be struggling that little bit thus far but is still capable of being a danger man for us

Defensive wise....well more of the same naivety really. Monreal who is an awful defender went missing for the City opener and that allowing, there was three Arsenal men against two City men. Flamini should have been watching Aguero but instead was watching ball. No way should we be conceding in this scenario

But i suppose we're still unbeaten and there is that little bit more resolve. Hopefully we'll begin to win games now and at least keep the squeeze on Chelsea who will more than likely lead the pack.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Haha, yeah! Wouldn't have spotted it myself only for the comments underneath the photo on facebook.

Sanchez looks miserable beside Galway's Niamh Fahy!

He obviously hasnt lost his heart to a Galway girl :D .......ill get my coat shall i? :o

Not true..

And its pointless selling him.

Average player

Why not sell him in January being in a proper dmf?

He obviously hasnt lost his heart to a Galway girl :D .......ill get my coat shall i? :o

Yes, yes you shall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

jonny666 wrote: »
    What was wrong with the tactics today?

Nothing wrong with the tactics today. We created our two goals with good play from the way we were set up.

City got their two goals from unforced errors from us. Poor defending (and keeping) rather than bad tactics let us down.

The big thing about today, we will now have to use our three centre halves in upcoming games.....Could be even for months depending on how bad Debuchy is. What a dreadful situation to have got ourselves into. Hopefully Wenger will at the very least give Bellerin a try now.

What a fúck up though. What initially started as a positive summer transfer window became a total and utter disaster. the one area we needed surgery (DF/CDM) was neglected yet again.

Average player

Why not sell him in January being in a proper dmf?

Whats the point of selling him? He's on low wages and is handy player for backup.

Selling him would serve ZERO purpose and just leave us short.. Which we already are.

probably doesnt matter how much we strengthened anyways Chelsea look sublime. Cesc and Costa running the show.

Whats the point of selling him? He's on low wages and is handy player for backup.

Selling him would serve ZERO purpose and just leave us short.. Which we already are.

I mean if we have a better dmf lined up, so we should not buy a new dmf because flamini is on low wages and is a good back up?

Which he isn't.

I mean if we have a better dmf lined up, so we should not buy a new dmf because flamini is on low wages and is a good back up?

Which he isn't.

But again.. Whats the point of selling him? He would still add depth. I really don't see the point in buying another DM and then sell our only backup DM :confused:

• Advertisement

But again.. Whats the point of selling him? He would still add depth. I really don't see the point in buying another DM and then sell our only backup DM :confused:

Because Wenger is never gonna buy another DM without one leaving.

I think that should be flamini.

How is that hard to understand?

Because Wenger is never gonna buy another DM without one leaving.

I think that should be flamini.

How is that hard to understand?

But you don't know that.. Thats pure speculation.

Sure Wenger signed Alexis when we had a load of players that can play wide!. We only have Flamini for DM. If we do sign another DM flamini will still be here.

88 minute and the 93 minute respectively two of our subs were introduced today. :confused: What is Wenger's big issue with subs? Chambers was a forced sub at that in the 81st minute too.

Its ridiculous and especially when you have the few internationals that played a few days ago added to the Dortmund game coming up Tuesday night.

FÚCK SAKE WENGER! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Flamini is a back up full back option too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

88 minute and the 93 minute respectively two of our subs were introduced today. :confused: What is Wenger's big issue with subs? Chambers was a forced sub at that in the 81st minute too.

Its ridiculous and especially when you have the few internationals that played a few days ago added to the Dortmund game coming up Tuesday night.

FÚCK SAKE WENGER! :mad:

I really don't get it, it's ridiculous. Wenger wasn't always this bad with leaving subs til the very end or not at all until recently to some reason. From my memory, it used to always be around the 65th minute he'd bring on a sub or two.

I really don't get it, it's ridiculous. Wenger wasn't always this bad with leaving subs til the very end or not at all until recently to some reason. From my memory, it used to always be around the 65th minute he'd bring on a sub or two.

He can be tardy enough. Chelsea last season at the Emirates spring to mind where he never brought on one sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

He can be tardy enough. Chelsea last season at the Emirates spring to mind where he never brought on one sub.

Yeah last season was when he really started doing it.

Yeah last season was when he really started doing it.

I dont think he was ever great in this department although last year was the absolute pits. Today ran it close. These are big games and you want to be utilising your squad when necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not very happy with that display today.
    I felt that if we had scored 4 we would have conceded 4.
    Our defending was awful, our attacking very good.
    Why oh why can't both play well at the same time?
    Wonder why Wenger started Flamini ahead of Arteta?
    We need a big mobile, strong tackling, no nonsense DM badly.

• Advertisement

Not very happy with that display today.
    I felt that if we had scored 4 we would have conceded 4.
    Our defending was awful, our attacking very good.
    Why oh why can't both play well at the same time?
    Wonder why Wenger started Flamini ahead of Arteta?
    We need a big mobile, strong tackling, no nonsense DM badly.

This.

And I'd drop ozil for Santi now.

Too many games has passed him by,no more excuses. We didn't sign Fabregas because of ozil, not good enough from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

In terms of general play, we ran the show for most of the game today... Fernandinho the only reason we didn't win comfortably. Fittingly the exact type of player we're missing shows his worth. How he didn't get his game for Brazil I'll never know. Won't have the Flamini hate. Uncharacteristically asleep for the 1st goal but he usually puts his heart into the team and someone talking about selling him in January what are u on about?? No transfer value at all. He will be at Arsenal til he retires so might as well get used to him. Shouldn't be starting but that's Wenger's fault.

Dat Sanchez goal doe.

Great debut I thought for Welbeck. Looked like he'd been playing with the lads for years and worked his socks off. That chip would have been...

Mathieu Debuchy we hardly knew ye. Reposing at London Colney for the next 6 months. Cards / flowers c/o Abou Diaby.

This.

And I'd drop ozil for Santi now.

Too many games has passed him by,no more excuses. We didn't sign Fabregas because of ozil, not good enough from him.

+1

I think we need a bit more from Ozil. No one is saying he should run all day like Jimmy Bullard but his body language absolutely stinks. There seems to be no urgency at all. We know the lad is a good player, we know what he is capable of bringing to the table, but we're being short changed. He is a fantastic passer of the ball but i just wish he would up the tempo and urgency that 10-15% more. In his defence though he should be playing nowhere else but in that hole.

Wouldnt generally be the biggest fan of Santi but he has played very well for us so far this season and would feel hard done by not to see game time today. Ramsey wasnt fit and he really struggled while Ozil played in dribbles and thats being nice to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We are now forced into having Chambers LB and Bellerin as his understudy. Chambers to CB if we have any injury there and a rookie on the bench. It could be a repeat of Wenger playing another rookie, Sanogo, against Bayern Munich.

We can't afford many more injuries or we're in very serious trouble.
    Fingers and toes crossed lads.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    In terms of general play, we ran the show for most of the game today... Fernandinho the only reason we didn't win comfortably. Fittingly the exact type of player we're missing shows his worth. How he didn't get his game for Brazil I'll never know. Won't have the Flamini hate. Uncharacteristically asleep for the 1st goal but he usually puts his heart into the team and someone talking about selling him in January what are u on about?? No transfer value at all. He will be at Arsenal til he retires so might as well get used to him. Shouldn't be starting but that's Wenger's fault.

Dat Sanchez goal doe.

Great debut I thought for Welbeck. Looked like he'd been playing with the lads for years and worked his socks off. That chip would have been...

Mathieu Debuchy we hardly knew ye. Reposing at London Colney for the next 6 months. Cards / flowers c/o Abou Diaby.
    I'm talking about selling him in January and bringing in a better DM.

What's wrong with that? Everyone here was saying we needed a new DM before the season.

Why not just do it now, get rid of him and get better.

I don't care if he runs all day and gives his all for the team. He simply is an average player who we can do much better than.

Transfer value??? Sounds like something Wenger would come out with for not addressing a key issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ozil and Sanchez in the wide positions are better than anything else we have there.

There are loads of positives from today. We played with zip and cohesion for the first time this year. Welbeck's pace was great to have and a good first game from him.

If we ever get that CF that we need. The one that can play with pace AND finish, we'll be great. They're not that rare either Ageuro, Sturridge, RVP of the last few years, Suarez, Torres when he first arrived.

The possibility of the Wally - Ozil - Sanchez trio behind a striker is good too. Though we'd probably concede a lot.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Ozil and Sanchez in the wide positions are better than anything else we have there.

There are loads of positives from today. We played with zip and cohesion for the first time this year. Welbeck's pace was great to have and a good first game from him.

If we ever get that CF that we need. The one that can play with pace AND finish, we'll be great. They're not that rare either Ageuro, Sturridge, RVP of the last few years, Suarez, Torres when he first arrived.

The possibility of the Wally - Ozil - Sanchez trio behind a striker is good too. Though we'd probably concede a lot.
    Is give ox a go now on the wing, ozil is not producing it.

gosplan wrote: »

I think that opposition would be absolutely terrified to commit too many numbers forward with that three man attack (four if you include Welbeck).

Wally is a huge loss in this respect. Teams were terrified to get up the park in numbers when he was there.

I'm talking about selling him in January and bringing in a better DM.

What's wrong with that? Everyone here was saying we needed a new DM before the season.

Why not just do it now, get rid of him and get better.

I don't care if he runs all day and gives his all for the team. He simply is an average player who we can do much better than.

He was badly caught for that first goal and is inclined to get caught up the pitch the odd time. That said I think he is out of contract at the end of the season. Hold on to him and dont bother offering him a new one and sign a top player either Christmas or then. Unfortunately nothing straightforward as this with AW

He was badly caught for that first goal and is inclined to get caught up the pitch the odd time. That said I think he is out of contract at the end of the season. Hold on to him and dont bother offering him a new one and sign a top player either Christmas or then. Unfortunately nothing straightforward as this with AW

He signed a 3 year deal when he joined in 2013.

He signed a 3 year deal when he joined in 2013.

Really? Thought it was just two. Perhaps if it went well they could have extended it by a year which to be fair last year he had a relatively good season when called upon. Agreed he is not the answer though and Arteta hasnt the legs anymore

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement