Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Give it a rest.

We were/are going nowhere.

Is that why he signed the long term contract the season before he left?

Hes no better than Van Mercenary or Na$ri in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Give it a rest.

We were/are going nowhere.

He went with Wenger's blessing.

Cesc must be delighted he choose Chelsea, nothing has changed since he left.

Always a signing or two away, be better next year, big player to come back from injury.

If Wenger could, he would probably take the 4th place now.

Quick question. Who do you really support?

Others do be negative but you can still tell they support Arsenal. It's very hard to see you supporting Arsenal based on posts like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Gringo180 wrote: »

Why should he have stayed?

We sold our best players ever year.

He had a chance to go to one of the biggest club's in the world and become the greatest player in the world.

He could have easily became like Ronaldo, he had the talent.

No one blames Ronaldo for leaving and you can be sure if Cesc was as good as Ronaldo you would be delighted to have him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The thing that annoys me about today is that we had to produce two moments of brilliance to score our goals whereas we handed City theirs...a simple near post cross and a free header. Just can't understand how we keep repeating the same mistakes every season.

BxatsZsIEAA0QQJ.jpg

We've every player in the box here and yet they still score. And what is the point of having a player on the post if you're not going to let him clear the ball if it comes to him.

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Others do be negative but you can still tell they support Arsenal. It's very hard to see you supporting Arsenal based on posts like this.

I honestly don't understand how anybody could say Wenger would take 4th right now. The mans a winner, built practically one of the greatest teams ever to grace the top flight in English football and when times were hard he stuck by the club when realistically he could of had any job in world football..... Okay it hasnt been the best the last few years but I can certainly see progress been made, some of the criticism the man gets is disgusting especially from the English media. Big things are only around the corner at the Emirates just wait and see.

• Advertisement

He had a chance to go to one of the biggest club's in the world and become the greatest player in the world.

No one blames Ronaldo for leaving and you can be sure if Cesc was as good as Ronaldo you would be delighted to have him back.

Its called loyalty, a word that is missing from the modern day footballers vocabulary unfortunately.

gnfnrhead wrote: »

If you have expectations , your always disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

OK, no one blames him for leaving. We were on a long term project and he wanted something bigger - fine, big deal. Can we shut up about him now?

Additionally can everyone stop quoting this guy as you're ruining my ignore function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He took a paycut to join Barca.

Go look up the meaning of mercenary before ya start spouting bollix.

He left because Wenger and the board settle ever year and are happy being the "nearly" team of the league. Leaving was a good choice for him. Taking him back would've been a good choice for us, but again we will "nearly" challenge this year and we can blame injuries, lack of cash, mercenaries, the moon. Anything apart from the real problem.

Its called loyalty, a word that is missing from the modern day footballers vocabulary unfortunately.

They are only loyal when they are winning.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »

Additionally can everyone stop quoting this guy as you're ruining my ignore function.

Not cool

Quazzie wrote: »
    He took a paycut to join Barca.

Go look up the meaning of mercenary before ya start spouting bollix.

He left because Wenger and the board settle ever year and are happy being the "nearly" team of the league. Leaving was a good choice for him. Taking him back would've been a good choice for us, but again we will "nearly" challenge this year and we can blame injuries, lack of cash, mercenaries, the moon. Anything apart from the real problem.

Nearly challenge? We challenged pretty well last season and only for injuries we would of been alot closer. We havent got the riches City and Chelsea have to splash around, or hadnt got the luxury of playing only 40 games the way Liverpool did. I think we do very well imo and do it with class.

Nearly challenge? We challenged pretty well last season and only for injuries we woukd of been alot closer. We havent got the riches City and Chelsea have to splash around, or hadnt gkt the luxury of playing only 40 games the way Liverpool did. I think we do very well imo and do it with class.

We were ripped apart because we went out to the games tactically naive and don't have a manager that can change the outcome of a game. That's why we lost the league. Injuries had a large input to our downfall but not near as much as Wenger in the heavy defeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Jaysus we drew with the champions playing some truly good football

Wouldn't think it in this thread though

Jaysus we drew with the champions playing some truly good football

Wouldn't think it in this thread though

We practically played them off the park at times, you would swear we were stuffed by them.

We practically played them off the park at times, you would swear we were stuffed by them.

Not even them you would swear we were stuffed by a lower league side

Some miserable fcukers about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Fabregas and costa have really clicked, we badly need better from our main playmaker

Not even them you would swear we were stuffed by a lower league side

Some miserable fcukers about

Its not as easy now as it was when we were winning leagues, you have Man City and Chelsea who can practically buy who they want.

The club is in a healthy state now, some fans should take a look at Man Utd and see what happens when change comes about.

Anything apart from the real problem.

As I make it, two people have ever ever won a premier league trophy without outspending their rivals.

Fergie and Wenger.

Your plan is to get rid of the 'real problem' and do what exactly?

As I make it, two people have ever ever won a premier league trophy without outspending their rivals.

Fergie and Wenger.

Your plan is to get rid of the 'real problem' and do what exactly?

Replace him with a manager that has current tactical know how and can change the outcome of a game by making the right substitutions at the right time, instead of at set times during a game to give someone one a meaningless run out.

Might seem a far out idea for some Wengerites to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I think everybody agrees we played quite well going forward, it's just annoying that poor defending yet again cost us the 3 points. It's frustrating because it's something that could easily be fixed.

Replace him with a manager that has current tactical know how and can change the outcome of a game by making the right substitutions at the right time, instead of at set times during a game to give someone one a meaningless run out.

Ah the wengerites line gets rolled out

Like a set time when he substituted Sanchez for Giroud after 45 mins which practically changed the game in our favour against Everton??

Ah the wengerites line gets rolled out

Good debating skills. It's the equivalent of "cool story bro"

;)

I think everybody agrees we played quite well going forward, it's just annoying that poor defending yet again cost us the 3 points. It's frustrating because it's something that could easily be fixed.

Totally agree, im as gutted as anybody to not hold onto the win but whats annoying me is the reaction of some on here today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

DenMan wrote: »
    Wonder how the Liverpool fans are tonight! Went into their thread not long after our game today and they seemed quite pleased with the draw! :D

You do know that it is their year:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not buying a proper DM and relying on Arteta and Flamini for a long season will cost us. Neither are good enough. It could and should have been fixed before the season began.
    That's the big problem for me and why I don't think we will challenge for top spot. Dearly hope i'm wrong but i don't think i am.

Why is it such blasphemy to criticise wenger in here?
    Making decisions like bringing on ox in the 88th are valid concerns

Funny how in 25 years of the premiership, that's never actually worked for anyone though - I mean you have to admitt that's funny.

• Advertisement

Good debating skills. It's the equivalent of "cool story bro"

;)

How can ya debate with that ****e

Not buying a proper DM and relying on Arteta and Flamini for a long season will cost us. Neither are good enough. It could and should have been fixed before the season began.
    That's the big problem for me and why I don't think we will challenge for top spot. Dearly hope i'm wrong but i don't think i am.

I think your right tayto

wonga77 wrote: »
    Why is it such blasphemy to criticise wenger in here?
    Making decisions like bringing on ox in the 88th are valid concerns

Im Wengers biggest fan and critic at the same time, but what I dont like is the team getting unfairly slated after a very good performance.

I don't think we'll ever be great defensively against top teams. We play too much football. For me we need more quality up front.

Im Wengers biggest fan and critic at the same time, but what I dont like is the team getting unfairly slated after a very good performance.

The team played very well, brilliantly at times, going forward.
    The defending was poor though and cost us.
    Old Arsenal teams were always built from the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wilshere and Sanchez were huge plusses today. If Ramsey and Ozil had been at the same level, that would have been a comfortable win

• Advertisement

I don't think we'll ever be great defensively against top teams. We play too much football. For me we need more quality up front.

Would have been nice to have a matic or fernandino type sitting today though

Surely you agree

The team played very well, brilliantly at times, going forward.
    The defending was poor though and cost us.
    Old Arsenal teams were always built from the back.

And to be fair we were fairly solid at the back for most of the time last season, its more annoying conceding from a corner kick than anything.

Ozil was absolute muck today as was flamini. Ramsey not much better. There was no change from the sideline, not until debuchy was forced off.why have a bench if you don't use it.
    I'm disappointed with a draw because we are capable of so much better
    city were there for the taking today

I think Wenger has blind spots and there are things he doesn't do well but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

The difference between us and Spurs is Wenger. They have always hired the best man for the job, backed him to plug the holes in the squad and it's never worked.

There is an argument that says 'well what's the difference if we just keep getting 4th?' but we are progressing. Any look at the stats and the squad profile will tell you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Honestly there are more positives than negatives this week.

This is the first time this season that we've looked good! actually i'd say great!!
    Yes we were poor defensively but normally we are fairly solid. We seem to have found the link up play we have been missing.

I've a feeling that we'll put the knife to BVB and Aston Villa :cool:

• Advertisement

And to be fair we were fairly solid at the back for most of the time last season, its more annoying conceding from a corner kick than anything.

Yes.
    Something has happened to the staircase that connects the defenders and the attackers though. Old age?

How can ya debate with that ****e
    what shíte. Do you or do you not believe that Wenger makes effective substitutions? Do you, or do you not believe that Wenger has ever properly equipped us with a squad that's capable of lasting a season long title challenge? Do you, or do you not believe that Wenger is still relevant and effective in how he sets up the team in games against the other big teams?

Don't forget we were a pope visit away from going from now to Christmas with a striker up front that has never scored a competitive goal for the club.

My biggest worry was last ten mins we crumbled should have conceded 2 or 3

Where was the leader on the pitch to take hold of the game, calm us down and tighten things up

It wasn't there and it wasn't there in all the drubbings last season

That has me very very concerned

People are also aware that the unchanged team which should have had loads of subs and tactics alterations were the ones that came back and went ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

My biggest worry was last ten mins we crumbled should have conceded 2 or 3

Where was the leader on the pitch to take hold of the game, calm us down and tighten things up

It wasn't there and it wasn't there in all the drubbings last season

That has me very very concerned

The pressing game used today worked really well and put great pressure on the City midfield and defence. It's exhausting though and Wenger really should have freshened things a bit earlier.

There is an argument that says '.well what's the difference if we just keep getting 4th?' but we are progressing Any look at the stats and the squad profile will tell you that.

Here are the important stats
    2005-06 - 4th

2006-07 - 4th

2007-08 - 3rd

2008-09 - 4th

2009-10 - 3rd

2010-11 - 4th

2011-12 - 3rd

2012-13 - 4th

2013-14 - 4th

Not much sign of progression there. If anything we've gone backwards since 2012.

People are also aware that the unchanged team which should have had loads of subs and tactics alterations were the ones that came back and went ahead?

Yes. Imagine if ox had been on instead of ozil, couldn't have been any worse. We might have scored a third who knows?
    as I said we're capable of so much better

what shíte. Do you or do you not believe that Wenger makes effective substitutions? Do you, or do you not believe that Wenger has ever properly equipped us with a squad that's capable of lasting a season long title challenge? Do you, or do you not believe that Wenger is still relevant and effective in how he sets up the team in games against the other big teams?

Don't forget we were a pope visit away from going from now to Christmas with a striker up front that has never scored a competitive goal for the club.

I don't mind your opinions or worries I don't agree with most but that's ok we can debate and give our opinions

The ****e I was on about was the "wengerites" jibe just a stupid comment that adds nothing to the debate

Seems to be forgotten in the madness

Here are the important stats
    2005-06 - 4th

2006-07 - 4th

2007-08 - 3rd

2008-09 - 4th

2009-10 - 3rd

2010-11 - 4th

2011-12 - 3rd

2012-13 - 4th

2013-14 - 4th

Not much sign of progression there. If anything we've gone backwards since 2012.

Oh, OK. So you're planning to fire Wenger, get in a new manager who will always be outspent by at least 3 teams and judge him on his league finish alone.

Smart move.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement