Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Whats confuses/frustrates about Wenger is his role in certain areas of the club.
    Its blatantly obvious we needed defensive cover and yet none was bought, money cant be the excuse this time.
    Also, im like a broken record but what was the point in bringing on Ox yesterday in the 88th minute and why was Ozil left on so long? There have been several obvious tacticl issues, Now Wenger takes the blame for all these things but theres more in the club surely who have a say? Does Bould have any say regarding the team?
    Do the board have any say rgd transfers?
    Surely Wenger is not running every aspect of the club

The negativity in here is mental sometimes our results have been more or less the same if not better so far

Man City last season was 1-1 and was a dead game , This season we should have beaten them

Everton stuffed us last year, this season we came away with a point

Palace we beat home and away last year , on course to do the same

Leicester weren't in the prem last season, But we did beat all the promoted clubs away last year so thats points dropped

Maybe some of us are fools for wanting/hoping/expecting big improvements

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

We are allowed criticise.
    I praise when he gets it right and criticise when he doesn't. Same with the players.
    That's what the forum is about.
    I wanted a good DM brought in and when you see what Falmini did yesterday i have a right to complain. He and Arteta are no longer good enough against top midfields in my view.

As much as I like Flamini and Arteta, both are a bit passed it, IMO, when it comes to the crunch of a midfield top team. Flamini was at fault for the second city goal... Not sure what Wenger is at, but we were hopelessly exposed at the back several times yesterday, with such a high line. We played well enough, but were lucky not to concede two at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    As much as I like Flamini and Arteta, both are a bit passed it, IMO, when it comes to the crunch of a midfield top team. Flamini was at fault for the second city goal... Not sure what Wenger is at, but we were hopelessly exposed at the back several times yesterday, with such a high line. We played well enough, but were lucky not to concede two at the end.

And first.

Flamini and other mediocre players need to be got rid of now if we want to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If wenger is insisting on playing this 4-3-3, at least make it a diamond with Ozil behind welbeck and sanchez perhaps? Enough width there with the two of them drifting out with two box to box midfielders as well. Worked for Liverpool last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

And first.

Flamini and other mediocre players need to be got rid of now if we want to progress.

You need these type of players in your squad, do you think we can keep a squad of 25 world class players happy? Not only on the morale issue, but financially its just not viable for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

And first.

Or...

We just sign a good DM and keep the others for backup.

Raf32 wrote: »
    If wenger is insisting on playing this 4-3-3, at least make it a diamond with Ozil behind welbeck and sanchez perhaps? Enough width there with the two of them drifting out with two box to box midfielders as well. Worked for Liverpool last year

It seems this 4-1-4-1 formation has us conceding silly goals again.

It's all out attack but Ramsey was there last season to cover for arteta and vice versa, now Ramsey is high up and were getting hit on the counter attack.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Or...

We just sign a good DM and keep the others for backup.

Yep this would work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Raf32 wrote: »

I'd love to see this

• Advertisement

Debuchy out for two months.

Ughhh our luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ughhh out luck.

Thats a huge blow. :(

shano_88 wrote: »
    I'd love to see this

Me too, it plays to our strengths. Walcott and Giroud can be a good alternative to the front two with Podolski and Campbell also able to play there. Ox and Rosicky could back up the box to box players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Calum Chambers to play right back! We'll be fine! Get well soon Debuchy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Time for Bellerin to step up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Missed the match yesterday, but after last season and what has been said on here, I can pretty much guess Ozil's performance. What i don't understand though, is how Ozil did so well in a 4-3-3 with Germany during the world cup, but when he plays for us he just can't do it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

farna_boy wrote: »
    Missed the match yesterday, but after last season and what has been said on here, I can pretty much guess Ozil's performance. What i don't understand though, is how Ozil did so well in a 4-3-3 with Germany during the world cup, but when he plays for us he just can't do it at all.

He got slated all World Cup long tbh. He has better players with Germany and the defences aren't as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Phil is a lot like Kagawa is in that sense... needs to play on the right setup, with the right type players around him, playing a particular style that caters to him... also helps a lot of the attack is centered around him. Without that, he isn't nearly as effective.

The thing with Ozil though is that even with that while he can be one of the most dangerous and incisive players on the planet, there is still the danger of him fading late in games or going off the boil for 2 or 3 months at a time.

I think he would have flourished a lot more if he played 10+ years ago when there were more star players at smaller clubs, but only one or two of them who the team was entirely built around, as opposed to today where the top players tend to gravitate to the top teams in bigger bulk, but have to adapt to whatever the team setup is. See: Riquelme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

The negativity in here is mental sometimes our results have been more or less the same if not better so far

Man City last season was 1-1 and was a dead game , This season we should have beaten them

Everton stuffed us last year, this season we came away with a point

Palace we beat home and away last year , on course to do the same

Leicester weren't in the prem last season, But we did beat all the promoted clubs away last year so thats points dropped

If we are comparing with last season, we should use order of relegated teams to compare with promoted teams.

Leicester = Norwich
    Burnley = Fulham
    QPR = Cardiff

On a like for like basis, we are down two points compared to last season with the Norwich result and up one point with the Everton result. Overall then, we are down one point on last season for comparable matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

We'll have to watch Kagawa on Tuesday night! He scored in Dortmund's 3-1 win in the league yesterday!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29191944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ughhh our luck.

Might be true but not from a particularly trusted source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ughhh our luck.

So that's about 3 months before we see him back thats a big blow, he really settled in well and was playing well. Time for Bellerin or Chambers to step up and try leave a mark.
    gosplan wrote: »
    He got slated all World Cup long tbh. He has better players with Germany and the defences aren't as good.

He only really got slated by those who are clueless sure RTE said he kept loosing the ball one game when in fact he didn't.

You don't play pretty much every minute bar about 30 minutes win the world cup and have a poor world cup.

He has been below par this season though himself and Ramsey haven't been at the races to the point were there place in the starting line up may start to be questioned unless they find form soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Bellerin to be our new startinb RB very soon

Debuchy might not even get back his place

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bellerin to be our new startinb RB very soon

Debuchy might not even get back his place

He has to displace our second choice RB before he can think of displacing our first.

He's bound to get game time at some stage now though so who knows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

methinks that chambers fellah may be a fantasy football bargain now, only 4.5m and you would have to assume he will be starting RB with Bellerin on the bench incase he or a CB (Chambers moves over) needs to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

methinks that chambers fellah may be a fantasy football bargain now, only 4.5m and you would have to assume he will be starting RB with Bellerin on the bench incase he or a CB (Chambers moves over) needs to be replaced.

Yeah I had him in the first few weeks, unfortunately we've forgotten how to keep clean sheets so far :(

Well i genuinely hope that rather than doing outrageously stupid like moving Monreal to centre back (in the situation that Chambers could get injured) , that the likes of Isaac Hayden might get a chance to prove his worth at some stage now if needs be. If Wenger is not willing to buy the necessary players then he should at least be utilising the youth.

Moving the same six players around to cover for injuries is insanity. We're in four competitions and have many international players. Just not good enough from Wenger.

I have a horrible feeling we could be on the end of a battering against Chelsea in a couple of weeks and Mourinho will now use our old stick (Cesc) to beat us with :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I have a horrible feeling we could be on the end of a battering against Chelsea in a couple of weeks and Mourinho will now use our old stick (Cesc) to beat us with :(

I'd rather go there and park the bus for 90 minutes than suffer another hammering. But that's against Arsene's philosophy so I don't expect any change in approach from last season. I fear what effect another drubbing could have on our confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think Chelsea murdering us and fabregas having a stormer is almost guaranteed.
    Just prepare yourselves now for the pain.

Also ozil will be ineffective and there'll be many posts bemoaning that we turned down fabregas. That's the way it goes as a gooner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I actually think if our defence can sort it's self out a little and not make stupid mistakes Chelsea are there for the taking. They're leaking goals at the back big time, and their heavy emphasis on attacking lately would suit us. Especially if Walcott can make it back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'm still really worried about are mental strenght in these big games, we really resorted to type in the last 10 mins against City. We hit panic mode any nobody in the field could pull it together

We will beat Chelsea away, in style

Wenger did an interview, lately more quotes tonight here is one that will interest a few here

Arsene Wenger: "I'm happy with the signings but we still need a physical presence with prodigious ability like Vieira or Petit."

Wenger did an interview, lately more quotes tonight here is one that will interest a few here

Arsene Wenger: "I'm happy with the signings but we still need a physical presence with prodigious ability like Vieira or Petit."

If that quote is true than I have no words anymore. What a shambles.

No way he would ever admit his failings so openly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Can't believe people saying we're doomed against Chelsea.

They are well dodgy at the back. John terry isn't up to it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,423 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well we all know that so why the Hell didn't he get one?
    It's what we're crying out for and not as if there were none available.
    It's a bit of an offensive statement in truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Well we all know that so why the Hell didn't he get one?
    It's what we're crying out for and not as if there were none available.
    It's a bit of an offensive statement in truth.

Not defending Wenger here in the slightest, but who would you have had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Quazzie wrote: »

I'm guessing people will say Khedira, Schneiderlin or Carvalho.

But when Wenger says 'Vieira or Petit' then there's only one left on that list.

Wonder what went on there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,423 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quazzie wrote: »

I don't know. I do not watch foreign teams.
    That lad at Southampton looks good and seems to be getting lots of attention. He might be good but I have only saw glimpses of him on MOTD.
    Where is the famous scouting talent Wenger used to have too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Why doesn't Ozil have the passion of Di Maria?

That's all I would ask of him.

Hyzepher wrote: »

My only qualm with him. Dont know if he loves the game tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

jonny666 wrote: »
    Can't believe people saying we're doomed against Chelsea.

They are well dodgy at the back. John terry isn't up to it anymore.

Doesn't matter who they play, they have a psychological hold over us.

We might be able to get or two against them, but Hazard, Cesc, Costa, Matic will be too much for us, far better than all our equivalent starters.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter who they play, they have a psychological hold over us.

We might be able to get or two against them, but Hazard, Cesc, Costa, Matic will be too much for us, far better than all our equivalent starters.

I disagree
    Sanchez is better than hazard
    And I have Ramsey ahead is cesc

2/2 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I disagree
    Sanchez is better than hazard
    And I have Ramsey ahead is cesc

2/2 for me

Only Arsenal fans have Ramsey over Cesc, we are very biased.

Ramsey is good, but not world class yet, Cesc is and always has been.

Sanchez vs Hazard is debatable alright.

At the moment Ramsey's form is very poor, nowhere near Cesc and a goal here and there has masked his performance's.
    Needs something to trigger last years form again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

wonga77 wrote: »
    At the moment Ramsey's form is very poor, nowhere near Cesc and a goal here and there has masked his performance's.
    Needs something to trigger last years form again
    I think Welbeck will link very well with Ramsay and boost his assists stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Hyzepher wrote: »

And if he had he'd be terrific. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

K4t wrote: »
    I think Welbeck will link very well with Ramsay and boost his assists stats.

Ramsey and Giroud had a very good understanding and provided plenty of assists for each other. If Welbeck can come close to stepping into OG's boots I'll be delighted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement