Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I still think that match feels like a loss, bizarrely I also think it was our best performance so far this season bar the last ten minutes.

Thats it really for 80 minutes we were very good, best performance so far.

The 10 minutes though really worries me as we looked ready to implode like we did last year, the lads just hit panci mode and can't settle, the post stopped it from going tits up.

The mental state of the team looks worryingly **** again when we are under the cosh, they dont know how to relax and get it together

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The last ten mins still haunt me

1) we haven't learned from last year

2) were lacking leaders big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think the team were wrecked from the pressing game they used. It was very effective but subs should have been used more effectively to share the burden a bit better. We really suffered at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Are we not on terrestrial TV tomorrow? Liverpool vs noname from Bulgaria instead?

Yep I do think its a lot to do with the type of player we have outside of the back 5.

Flamini and Arteta for me are just not at the level needed to grab the team together and forcefully disrupt the game and slow it down.

The back 4 are fine but the runners coming down the side and through the middle where two many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I still think that match feels like a loss, bizarrely I also think it was our best performance so far this season bar the last ten minutes.

We just gave up after city's 2nd goal. I don't like to pick on anyone but the back 6 ( including flamster) were poor especially chesney kicking the ball in his own half which led to the second goal. He should be kicking the ball farthest away from the goal not in his own half and putting the team under pressure straight away

We just gave up after city's 2nd goal. I don't like to pick on anyone but the back 6 ( including flamster) were poor especially chesney kicking the ball in his own half which led to the second goal. He should be kicking the ball farthest away from the goal not in his own half and putting the team under pressure straight away

Personnally I dont think the back 5 are the issues i think its the remaining 6 (mids and up top)

We should have condensed the game, slowed it down, disrupted there flow, instead we always go amature boxer route of standing and slugging it out pound for pound, you attack I attack no desire for defense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just another thing I would like to point out, if anybody watched the boss's press conference after the match he himself highlighted what everybody has been slating him over, he said that we have things to work on at the back and that it was very disappointing that we couldnt hold onto the lead after doing so well to get back into the game and go in front. Saturdays performance was a huge huge improvement on anything that we seen in our previous 5 competitive games, I think with this new formation and the new players coming in it will take some time to gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Soups123 wrote: »
    Personnally I dont think the back 5 are the issues i think its the remaining 6 (mids and up top)

We should have condensed the game, slowed it down, disrupted there flow, instead we always go amature boxer route of standing and slugging it out pound for pound, you attack I attack no desire for defense

I agree, we should be controlling the game from the middle. we used to be so good at that but now there's so much gap between back 5 and top the 6...we've no one who can run the show we're either all up top (city's 1st goal) or all at the back ( last 10 minutes), these are just examples but this has become the norm of our game.

• Advertisement

Watch the second goal again

Flamini clearly called for the ball and secz took it off his head

Flamini was furious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Flamini was furious

He made up for it with a fantastic save down to his right from Dzeko, it was a Man City win only for that save, right out of the top drawer it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Flamini was furious

Yeah he was poor for that. It's really irritating conceding without anyone on the line but even worse to have someone there but the ball taken off the players head! Woj made a great save after though for the one that led to Nasri having the goal disallowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Obviously the worrying thing is with Debuchy getting injured and Chambers covering at RB if anything was to happen to Mert or Kosc then we simply have not got a quality replacement. It is ridiculous that we are so short at the back.
    Bellerin is likely to get a fair amount of game time over the next 2/3 months, in my opinion as both centre halfs will need a rest to avoid getting fatigue injury later on in the season. Bellerin will have to fill in at RB while Chambers moves to CH.

Obviously the worrying thing is with Debuchy getting injured and Chambers covering at RB if anything was to happen to Mert or Kosc then we simply have not got a quality replacement. It is ridiculous that we are so short at the back.
    Bellerin is likely to get a fair amount of game time over the next 2/3 months, in my opinion as both centre halfs will need a rest to avoid getting fatigue injury later on in the season. Bellerin will have to fill in at RB while Chambers moves to CH.

I'll stand to be corrected, but I have no issue with this at all, from what I have seen of this guy he has real potential. He is a good age to be coming through for a full back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just another thing I would like to point out, if anybody watched the boss's press conference after the match he himself highlighted what everybody has been slating him over, he said that we have things to work on at the back and that it was very disappointing that we couldnt hold onto the lead after doing so well to get back into the game and go in front. Saturdays performance was a huge huge improvement on anything that we seen in our previous 5 competitive games, I think with this new formation and the new players coming in it will take some time to gel.
    I think this new formation of 4 1 4 1 is the reason we're conceding silly goals.

Also Ramsey is too high up, last season he was covering for arteta, he was a box to box, this year were going gung ho but leaving ourselves too exposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think this new formation of 4 1 4 1 is the reason we're conceding silly goals.

Also Ramsey is too high up, last season he was covering for arteta, he was a box to box, this year were going gung ho but leaving ourselves too exposed.

I also lost count of the number of times Monrael was awol at the back too for their counter attacks. He should only be going forward if someone is covering for him. What usually happens when he is forward is that the DM steps across about 15 yards to cover a break down our left. What actually happened was that Flamini kicked the ball off an attacker and it broke to the left leaving the City man Navas with oceans of space. Flamini was too slow chasing him down too after that. We need a big fast brute at DM.
    The first job of a defender is to defend and in fairness i was a bit hard on Monrael in the match thread on this occasion but on reflection it was not his fault. I think he's a whole-hearted player. Ozil should have been helping out on the left too but the defensive side of his game this season so far has been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

greendom wrote: »
    I think the team were wrecked from the pressing game they used. It was very effective but subs should have been used more effectively to share the burden a bit better. We really suffered at the end.

Exactly, which makes Wengers poor use of the bench surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Phoenix wrote: »
    So tell me guys why do ye think Sanchez and Ramsey are better than Fab and Hazard, genuine question, any stats to back up your claims?

To be honest I've always though Hazard was over rated, he can be brilliant but isn't consistent enough were as Sanchez although early days looks a beast already has 3 goals constantly looks dangerous and always looking to do something and when he hasn't got the ball his work ethic is brilliant.

On Fab on current form yes he is better than Ramsey but if we can get Ramsey back to the form of last season which I'm sure he will then we have one of the best players in the league a player who would have been a serious contender for player of the season had he not got inured last season,

I also lost count of the number of times Monrael was awol at the back too for their counter attacks. He should only be going forward if someone is covering for him. What usually happens when he is forward is that the DM steps across about 15 yards to cover a break down our left. What actually happened was that Flamini kicked the ball off an attacker and it broke to the left leaving the City man Navas with oceans of space. Flamini was too slow chasing him down too after that. We need a big fast brute at DM.
    The first job of a defender is to defend and in fairness i was a bit hard on Monrael in the match thread on this occasion but on reflection it was not his fault. I think he's a whole-hearted player. Ozil should have been helping out on the left too but the defensive side of his game this season so far has been poor.

This has been the way with our fullbacks for the last few seasons, they are pivotal to our attacks which means they form almost part of the midfield. When our play is broke and the opposition break they are chasing back.

Its madness but for it to work the DM is critical and we don't have one that does that part of the job the way its needed, the worry is that Arsene still perservers with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Assuming Theo plays when he comes back. And obviously Sanchez will play. Ozil will have to be played in the middle with those two playing.

Welbeck
    Sanchez
    Theo
    Ozil

That'd be ideal. Or else one of the above misses out.

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    This has been the way with our fullbacks for the last few seasons, they are pivotal to our attacks which means they form almost part of the midfield. When our play is broke and the opposition break they are chasing back.

Its madness but for it to work the DM is critical and we don't have one that does that part of the job the way its needed, the worry is that Arsene still perservers with it

In the away games against the top teams like City, Chelsea and Liverpool i think we should play with both Arteta and Flamini behind the midfield. They could cut out plenty of ball and we have plenty of pace to catch the opposition out on the break. Even play Jack deep instead of Flamini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

In the away games against the top teams like City, Chelsea and Liverpool i think we should play with both Arteta and Flamini behind the midfield. They could cut out plenty of ball and we have plenty of pace to catch the opposition out on the break.

If I remember correctly that was tried last season and it just didn't work at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Assuming Theo plays when he comes back. And obviously Sanchez will play. Ozil will have to be played in the middle with those two playing.

Welbeck
    Sanchez
    Theo
    Ozil

That'd be ideal. Or else one of the above misses out.

And who gets the two remaining places from Wilshere, Ramsey, Flamini, Arteta, the Ox, Cazorla and Rosicky?

If I remember correctly that was tried last season and it just didn't work at all.

I think it would work with the speed of Walcott and Sanchez but would require only one of Ramsey or Ozil in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Godge wrote: »
    And who gets the two remaining places from Wilshere, Ramsey, Flamini, Arteta, the Ox, Cazorla and Rosicky?

a bit of rotation if everyone is available.
    A chance for Wenger to think outside the box (if that's possible. . .)

I can't see Rosicky getting too much time - understandable to a certain extend I guess, but I really value him as a player.

In the away games against the top teams like City, Chelsea and Liverpool i think we should play with both Arteta and Flamini behind the midfield. They could cut out plenty of ball and we have plenty of pace to catch the opposition out on the break. Even play Jack deep instead of Flamini.
    I think it would work with the speed of Walcott and Sanchez but would require only one of Ramsey or Ozil in the middle.

It might help it limits us in an attacking sense and we can play with pace now on the counterattack.

My only concern is that I think neither are good enough on the defensive side of things. I think one good quality signing in there would be more effective than playing the two of them!

Godge wrote: »

Arteta and one of Wilshere or Ramsey

Walcott back and bellerin right full

Ya def won't see the opposition full back pushing on

Have Walcott charging him down and then an even faster player backing him up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hopefully when Walcott comes back we will see both him and Sanchez on each wing pushing the full backs further back and even more pressure applied through Welbecks pressing game

haha apparently Monreal hasn't travelled now either. The amount of injuries and way they've happened is bad luck, not having the squad players in defence to cover for it is not

https://twitter.com/JWTelegraph/status/511515594907467776

• Advertisement

haha apparently Monreal hasn't travelled now either. The amount of injuries and way they've happened is bad luck, not having the squad players in defence to cover for it is not

https://twitter.com/JWTelegraph/status/511515594907467776

Gibbs and bellerin to start please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Gibbs and bellerin to start please

You want to start Bellerin away to Dortmund?

That would be absolutely crazy.

shano_88 wrote: »
    You want to start Bellerin away to Dortmund?

That would be absolutely crazy.

Yes I do

Yes I do

Ahead of Chambers? Why?

Ahead of Chambers? Why?

I think he is a better natural right back, I honesty think he will nail down the spot if giving the chance
    Fast good on the ball, and if wenger thinks he is ready he will have no problem throwing him in

I think he is a better natural right back, I honesty think he will nail down the spot if giving the chance
    Fast good on the ball, and if wenger thinks he is ready he will have no problem throwing him in

He's been around for a few years now. Any time i've seen him he hasn't really stood out. If he was as good as you're suggesting, he'd surely have had more first team opportunities.

Think I'd be happier with Chambers starting. Bellerin may prove to be the real deal but let's give him a few sub appearances before throwing him into the lions den.

He's been around for a few years now. Any time i've seen him he hasn't really stood out. If he was as good as you're suggesting, he'd surely have had more first team opportunities.

He is still only 19, giving his chance convinced he will take it

Like cole/slivinho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Bellerin has yet to start a senior game for the club and there's a call for him to play against Dortmund?? Ah come on now.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Bellerin has yet to start a senior game for the club and there's a call for him to play against Dortmund?? Ah come on now.

Worked out ok with sanogo last season :)

Here is the full quote that I was on about yesterday

Here is the full quote that I was on about yesterday

To have admitted that proves to me that they were on the look-out for such a player but couldn't seal the deal. Perhaps 3rd party ownership made things too complicated (Carvahlo) ?

To have admitted that proves to me that they were on the look-out for such a player but couldn't seal the deal. Perhaps 3rd party ownership made things too complicated (Carvahlo) ?

I'm thinking that too, we might go back in January

better natural fullback? Based on what exactly?

I've seen him play twice. He's a good prospect, great pace, very good going forward. He's still very light weight and needs to work on his game defensively.

No way would he fit in away to Dortmund in a champions league game. Way too early for him imo. Home games against teams we expect to dominate possession against and the Carling cup are the Times he will get gametime this season imo.

I suspect that was the case, which is a shame. Hopefully in January we can sort something but I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe Schneiderlin would be a possibility

• Advertisement

better natural fullback? Based on what exactly?

I've seen him play twice. He's a good prospect, great pace, very good going forward. He's still very light weight and needs to work on his game defensively.

No way would he fit in away to Dortmund in a champions league game. Way too early for him imo. Home games against teams we expect to dominate possession against and the Carling cup are the Times he will get gametime this season imo.

Throw him in and see, we have some tough games coming up and if chambers gets a knock he is in anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Bellerin looks great and all and i hope to see him play soon, but no way could we start him in such a big game especially with Chambers fit.

The reason I would hold chambers back is he is out only CB cover

Let bellerin in and see what he can do, instead of having all our CBs on the pitch. At the same time

The reason I would hold chambers back is he is out only CB cover

Let bellerin in and see what he can do, instead of having all our CBs on the pitch. At the same time

Not a good enough reason to throw a rookie into an important champions league game imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I get the feeling we will see Coq right back a bit

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement