Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

The reason I would hold chambers back is he is out only CB cover

Let bellerin in and see what he can do, instead of having all our CBs on the pitch. At the same time

This is Dortmund away in the CL. We can't just lob a lad in and see what he can do. Chambers must and will start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This is Dortmund away in the CL. We can't just lob a lad in and see what he can do. Chambers must and will start.

What happens if Chambers gets injured? Flamini will then have to be deployed in a centre half role as our only CB backup. Is he up to that challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

And if any of out CBs gets a strain bellerin will be in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Might as well change to 3 at the back with all the injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

What happens if Chambers gets injured? Flamini will then have to be deployed in a centre half role as our only CB backup. Is he up to that challenge?

That won't happen, he'll most likely go with youth maybe Isaac Hayden will get a run out if that does happen..

I'm glad this place wasn't around when wenger dumped our record goal scorer for an unproven 17yr old

byrneg28 wrote: »
    That won't happen, he'll most likely go with youth maybe Isaac Hayden will get a run out if that does happen..

Risky Business must be Wenger's favorite movie.

That's then putting two unproven players into the core of the defence. Here's what I think is an acceptable compromise; put Chambers at lb for the first half, then take off Mert/ Kos at half time for Bellerin and let him slot in at lb. Gives us more pace when players might be already tiring as well as reducing risk of injury to our senior CBS and gives Bellerin game time in a big match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm glad this place wasn't around when wenger dumped our record goal scorer for an unproven 17yr old

Why not? You would have managed the biggest "I told you so" ever ! :D

So it's ok for Hayden but not for bellerin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Hayden is probably 4th or 5th choice CB and will only play in an injury crisis.

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »
    Hayden is probably 4th or 5th choice CB and will only play in an injury crisis.

Well bellerin is 3rd choice RB and were in a injury crisis

Well bellerin is 3rd choice RB and were in a injury crisis

The second choice isn't injured so he will rightfully play.

We're very close to a scenario where Hayden and Bellerin could very well be called upon. Two injuries/ suspensions away as a matter of fact.

Not exactly. I'm talking about when it comes down to the bare bones. The argument here is if I'm correct that Bellerin should start tomorrow, over Chambers so we don't get our CBs injured.

This is despite Bellerin never playing a competitive game for Arsenal, people are arguing to protect our CBs, risk under performing in a match by placing pressure on the young guy in the biggest match of the Champions League group stage, away vs. Dortmund.

Yes it was bad squad management in the first place, but that's just nonsensical. Chambers was bought as a versatile RB/CB and he is much more prepared for this than Bellerin at the moment.

Most likely all will go well tomorrow and Wenger will then start to ease Bellerin and possibly in the slight chance Hayden into the squad to see where they are.

Undeniably Bellerin is a fantastic talent and that really showed in the pre-season game against Benfica, be that as it may, Sanogo also looked amazing in that match. So Chambers to start

The second choice isn't injured so he will rightfully play.

Ok

What if chambers picks up a knock tomorrow
    And kos (who is struggling with an Achilles) strains something at villa

What will be our back 4 at the bridge

(This is not as far fetched as some people are thinking)

Risky Business must be Wenger's favorite movie.

That's then putting two unproven players into the core of the defence. Here's what I think is an acceptable compromise; put Chambers at lb for the first half, then take off Mert/ Kos at half time for Bellerin and let him slot in at lb. Gives us more pace when players might be already tiring as well as reducing risk of injury to our senior CBS and gives Bellerin game time in a big match.

Switch off your Playstation, this isn't FIFA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It'll be time for Steve Bould at that rate

Ok

Wenger always says. 'The next game' and rightly so, looking into the future to the game against Chelsea, won't win us the game against Dortmund tomorrow

Can I just point out

Chambers is also 19 and played 4 times for us

So this experience bullshît don't wash or ruining a young player either

• Advertisement

Switch off your Playstation, this isn't FIFA

Don't have a playstation mate.

Dortmund don't have a full strength team, have been plagued with injuries, and we're on a tightrope( even more so if Monreal is sidelined for.long) from having to rely on TWO players who have never played a competitive match for Arsenal.

Wenger always says. 'The next game' and rightly so, looking into the future to the game against Chelsea, won't win us the game against Dortmund tomorrow

Managers never only look at the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Soups123 wrote: »
    Managers never only look at the next game.

wenger does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Can I just point out

Chambers played a good few games for Southampton last season though

Ok

What are trying to argue?

Of course if we pick up them injuries we will be extremely short at the back. It's still not a reason to start Bellerin tomorrow night.

Chambers played a good few games for Southampton last season though

15 I think (open to correction)

Hardly call that bags of. Experience

• Advertisement

What are trying to argue?

Of course if we pick up them injuries we will be extremely short at the back. It's still not a reason to start Bellerin tomorrow night.

It is wrap him up in case he is needed at CB

Esp we you have a very good right back ready to go

Can I just point out

He's played 4 times in the League, twice in Europe and once in the community shield. He also played 22 times for Southampton unlike Bellerin whos only top level experience is 8 games for Watford.

He also won Player of the Month last month and was outstanding throughout for the most part. It's between him and Bellerin, I'm not saying he's highly experienced, but he's got a fair bit more than Bellerin at this moment in time.

Fair enough anyway that's just my opinion, but you might get your wish sooner than you think my friend as Chambers missed training today

He's played 4 times in the League, twice in Europe and once in the community shield. He also played 22 times for Southampton unlike Bellerin whos only top level experience is 8 games for Watford.

He also won Player of the Month last month and was outstanding throughout for the most part. It's between him and Bellerin, I'm not saying he's highly experienced, but he's got a fair bit more than Bellerin at this moment in time.

Fair enough anyway that's just my opinion, but you might get your wish sooner than you think my friend as Chambers missed training today

So what your sayin. Is he gor his chance at arsenal and grabbed it with both hands

And he got player of the month playing CB just to let you no

It is wrap him up in case he is needed at CB

Esp we you have a very good right back ready to go

I disagree. I guess we will see what Wenger thinks tomorrow night.

I disagree. I guess we will see what Wenger thinks tomorrow night.

I'd say he will start chambers

• Advertisement

I'm certainly not against playing Bellerin when we have to and in the Carling cup etc, but Chambers is ahead of him in the pecking order so should play there unless he's needed at CB.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    wenger does

He says he does but that wouldnt be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Montreal out injured for Dortmund

So what your sayin. Is he gor his chance at arsenal and grabbed it with both hands

And he got player of the month playing CB just to let you no

saysomethinginteresting.jpg

I'd say he will start chambers
    I'm certainly not against playing Bellerin when we have to and in the Carling cup etc, but Chambers is ahead of him in the pecking order so should play there unless he's needed at CB.

Chambers will start tomorrow. But its a valid point emergingstar is making. Chambers is the only band aid we now have for RB and CB for the next few months.

Using him wisely would make sense, Bellerin is capable of coming in and doing a job if needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Can I just point out

+ his 19 or so appearances for Southampton last season as well as an England international. It washes at a slightly higher temp than Bellerin (still really a delicate fabric where Chambers is a non-fast coloured !!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

So 1 month in and we are short again. Same sh*t different season.

Flamini to LB?

I thought the new medical team was gonna sort the injuries stuff out.

Chambers will start tomorrow. But its a valid point emergingstar is making. Chambers is the only band aid we now have for RB and CB for the next few months.

Using him wisely would make sense, Bellerin is capable of coming in and doing a job if needed

Yeah Bellerin could be good against teams who are less of a threat to our defence. I just don't think he's ready to be tested defensively against the likes of Dortmund.

Houdini couldnt sort this **** out

• Advertisement

So what do we expect to see vs Dortmund then.

Ches
    Chambers Mert Kos Gibbs
    Arteta
    Alexis Wilshere Cazorla Ox
    Welbeck.

I expect some rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

Giroud and Debuchy were both freak injuries. No medical team in the world could prevent them.

So what do we expect to see vs Dortmund then.

Ches
    Chambers Mert Kos Gibbs
    Arteta
    Alexis Wilshere Cazorla Ox
    Welbeck.

I expect some rotation.

Can't see the Ox Starting or Ramsey being rested unless he is carrying, suspect it will line up very much like Saturday with Chambers and Arteta back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

People are forgetting dortmund are almosy in as much of an injury crisis as us for this match, be grand :)

He says he does but that wouldnt be the case.

remember a couple of season ago, fabregas was on the bench vs. villa because of injury/rested, arsenal were losing i think, fabregas comes on scores two, arsenal win but he gets injured

after going 2 down against chelsea in the carling cup last year he brought ozil & giroud on. no need for it, especially giroud

he admitted playing ramsey last year when he was in the 'red zone'
    walcott just back from injury played something like 6/7 in a row before getting injured vs spurs.
    sanogo or bendtner could've play more last season instead of giroud, though he never go injured from it
    & how many others have he overplayed - a reason given for the amount of injuries

some of the decisions look very short sighted at times

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So we should field our last resort players now in case we have to resort to fielding them later.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    remember a couple of season ago, fabregas was on the bench vs. villa because of injury/rested, arsenal were losing i think, fabregas comes on scores two, arsenal win but he gets injured

after going 2 down against chelsea in the carling cup last year he brought ozil & giroud on. no need for it, especially giroud

he admitted playing ramsey last year when he was in the 'red zone'
    walcott just back from injury played something like 6/7 in a row before getting injured vs spurs.
    sanogo or bendtner could've play more last season instead of giroud, though he never go injured from it
    & how many others have he overplayed - a reason given for the amount of injuries

some of the decisions look very short sighted at times

There'll be plenty of times, especially last season when that looked the case. However I think a lot of that was to do with options and the level we would drop by resting certain players.

All managers including Wenger will look at some of the 'handier' games and rest some players with future games in mind. In recent years our limited squad size would have been the main reason but certainly in the top half of our squad this year you'll see rotation and game selection play heavily.

Fergie was by far and way the best manager at it

Mickeroo wrote: »
    So we should field our last resort players now in case we have to resort to fielding them later.

TBH Mick we are only Chambers away from being at the last resort point for 3 positions, RB, CB1 and CB2!

Mickeroo wrote: »

bellerin is hardly last resort though. chambers was signed as a RB, because of him doing well at CB, wenger decided he'll do for 3rd CB, not signing another, as well pushing bellerin closer to 2nd choice RB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

keano_afc wrote: »
    Bellerin has yet to start a senior game for the club and there's a call for him to play against Dortmund?? Ah come on now.

It didn't stop Wenger playing Sanogo against Bayern last season in the CL.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement