Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Danny Welbeck isn't the answer to our striker problems either. His movement and pace are great but he is poor in front of goal. Giroud may be slower but he is a much better finisher. Maybe Wenger can make something good out of him but I reckon average is all he'll be

We've missed Giroud a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Ronan14 wrote: »
    The 4-1-4-1 formation really has to go.

A 4-2-3-1 setup would suit us better, and Ozil HAS to be played in a central position.

2ur9hk6.jpg

We would be destroyed with that team. It's 4 defenders and 6 attackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Who's been saying that?
    We all know we needed a centre back and defensive midfielder for years.

See two posts above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

We are impotent without Giroud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im logging off lads, f uck this, im off to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

It's not the defeat, it's the manner of the defeat.
    We have lost ,many games but rarely play this bad although similar defeats happened last season.
    I never mind losing but hate losing playing crap.

I agree but will reserve judgement until after the Villa game. 2 brutal performances on the trot would be very worrying. I'm more interested in the response to tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

efb wrote: »
    We are impotent without Giroud

Maybe but missing Giroud has nothing to do with letting in 2 soft goals and almost several more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

wonga77 wrote: »
    Im logging off lads, f uck this, im off to bed

At the end of the day it's only a game.
    More important things in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ive been trying to think of something short to write to illustrate how I feel about that performance but I just cant, we could have been easily annihilated tonight against a weakened Dortmund.
    Its not even our team in terms of quaity, even with the injuries we have you couldnt say that we didnt have better quality in almost every position, but were still frightfully outplayed, it just points to a more serious underlying problem.
    Obviously if this was a once off I wouldnt say something but our performances so far this season have been so poor and we all know what our past is like against proper world class teams.
    Dortmund are solid but wouldnt really be classed as up with the best, but their manager instills something into them to make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Why this one don't really bother me, we could have went there played well and still lost

On we go to Saturday

What did Wenger say after the game?

I turned it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

jonny666 wrote: »
    Danny Welbeck isn't the answer to our striker problems either. His movement and pace are great but he is poor in front of goal. Giroud may be slower but he is a much better finisher. Maybe Wenger can make something good out of him but I reckon average is all he'll be

We've missed Giroud a lot.
    Will you give the guy a chance ffs man. Only his second game and your writing him off already.

Why this one don't really bother me, we could have went there played well and still lost

On we go to Saturday

We need a bit of rotation for Sat.
    Too many players completely off form.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Will you give the guy a chance ffs man. Only his second game and your writing him off already.

Its not one game though. He's been doing the same thing for united for years. Hopefully Wenger can improve it.

Its not one game though. He's been doing the same thing for united for years. Hopefully Wenger can improve it.

He was been played on the wing at Utd. When he got a run of games up front he scored reguarly. He needs time to gel into the team, once he gets that first goal he will score plenty more for us. For what its worth he done everything right tonight apart from his finishing. If he had of finished the chance he single handidly created for himself when he turned on a sixpence and left the defender for dead people would of been creaming themselves its was a sublime bit of skill.

• Advertisement

He's getting a chance from me anyway but seriously he has had 5 chances with Arsenal since he arrived, some very good chances, and he;'s not hit the target yet or forced a save out of the keeper. That's a poor start in any language.

Hopefully he'll find his shooting boots soon.
    When I said he reminded me of Gervinho i wasn't joking but i'll give him time.

Natural finishing isn't something that just comes with games, you with we have it or you don't.

I think its a confidence issue at the moment.

Give Welbeck time. The first goal should settle him and it's coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Always a great place to rant until all the anger goes away :D
    Yeah no point in getting ourselves in a tangle we be going through it a few more times trust me.

Any word from wenger?

• Advertisement

Any word from wenger?

Saw this reaction from a fan-

Oliver, embarrassed Arsenal fan in London: There has been a massive grey area which has been afforded to Wenger for years. His team selection is questionable, he needs to stop accommodating 4 CM's in to 3 spots - it doesn't go. The world can see that Ozil can't play on the left. As for the transfer window he needed to add 2 defenders and DM and ending up buying a striker that can't score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Natural finishing isn't something that just comes with games, you with we have it or you don't.

BULL****!!!

Go back 5 years and Walcott couldn't finish for ****! Now he's one of the most clinical wingers out there.

Finishing is one of the few things that you can become better at.

Nah dont believe that. You can master any skill with enough practice. Henry was hardly what you would call a natural finisher when he arrived from Juventus. Look at Diego Costa too, never a prolific goalscorer until a couple of seasons ago with Athletico Madrid.

He was been played on the wing at Utd. When he got a run of games up front he scored reguarly. He needs time to gel into the team, once he gets that first goal he will score plenty more for us. For what its worth he done everything right tonight apart from his finishing. If he had of finished the chance he single handidly created for himself when he turned on a sixpence and left the defender for dead people would of been creaming themselves its was a sublime bit of skill.

All his build up play is very good. His turn was great but he didn't get his shot on target. Its the same old.story with him. No composure in front of goal. Nothing to do with gelling with the team. He's actually fitted in very well. But his finishing is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Welbeck is the least of our worries right now. once again we have be mauled away from home. Huge problems when we face good teams.

Arsene wont be changing anytime soon so we may as well get used to these results.

Its fairly pointless debating it at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Seriously worried about Mertersacker - how long till he's up to speed ?

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    BULL****!!!

Go back 5 years and Walcott couldn't finish for ****! Now he's one of the most clinical wingers out there.

Finishing is one of the few things that you can become better at.

Hahaha you what?

Walcott could always finish, he just couldn't beat his man.

All his build up play is very good. His turn was great but he didn't get his shot on target. Its the same old.story with him. No composure in front of goal. Nothing to do with gelling with the team. He's actually fitted in very well. But his finishing is poor.

His finishing will come trust me. Giroud is hardly a great finisher too and imo we look more threatening going forward with Welbeck up front than we do with Giroud.

Nah dont believe that. You can master any skill with enough practice. Henry was hardly what you would call a natural finisher when he arrived from Juventus. Look at Diego Costa too, never a prolific goalscorer until a couple of seasons ago with Athletico Madrid.

I'm saying natural finishing, strikers instinct goals.

His finishing will come trust me. Giroud is hardly a great finisher too and imo we look more threatening going forward with Welbeck up front than we do with Giroud.

I must have missed that bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Hahaha you what?

Walcott could always finish, he just couldn't beat his man.

Eh no.. Walcott used to have awful finishing early in his career.

In the past 3 - 4 years he's really improved massively.. But if you go back his finishing wasn't good.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Eh no.. Walcott used to have awful finishing early in his career.

In the past 3 - 4 years he's really improved massively.. But if you go back his finishing wasn't good.

I do remember a couple years ruing Walcotts finishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Think a big problem that we keep skipping over is how easy arsenal seem to lose heart in games. There's no natural leader to drive them on show the team. I'd nearly bring henry to ****in tell them. Or just get them to watch his goal versus Leeds when he came back last.

henry, what'll he do? fúck off to barca again when the going gets tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Christ some of the stuff written here after a defeat is embarrassing. People are now saying we look gutless and impotent without Giroud in the team. Christ almighty, Giroud playing tonight wouldn't have made a ****ing difference, but one things for sure, had it been Giroud up top, a few people here would be saying that we look gutless and impotent WITH Giroud playing. I don't know are people taking the piss in here at times.

We don't always have to find a scapegoat. We played badly 1 through 11 tonight in my opinion. We didn't work hard enough, we didn't keep our shape in transition and we allowed Dortmund time and space to run at us from all over the park. Not good enough at all and changing personnel won't make a damn bit of difference if the tactics and coaching aren't changed too.

What are we going to do about ozil?

Its turning into one of the worst transfers in recent years.

greendom wrote: »
    I must have missed that bit

Do you think were better going forward with Giroud in the team? We played shocking tonight and Welbeck hadnt got much service but he managed to get himself into goal scoring positions and had 3 good chances. When Giroud doesnt get service he drops deep and very rarely gets himself into goalscoring positions.

I've been patient with Ozil but beginning to worry about his performances. For a lad of his ability he is delivering very little. I don't have any answers, hopefully Wenger does though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Build a team around and stop shunting him into the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Well I'm not going to judge him anyway while he's being played out on the left wing. It's a fcuking joke. Either play him in his right position or don't play him at all.

• Advertisement

I feel at this stage even if we constantly played him in the middle hed still be sh!te. Walcotts return and him hopefully going into the centre is make or break time for him imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wilshere has turned his ankle apparently...no indication yet of how serious it is. You couldn't make it up...

I feel at this stage even if we constantly played him in the middle hed still be sh!te. Walcotts return and him hopefully going into the centre is make or break time for him imo

Nothing to do with Walcott's return at all i think.

We could have been playing Ox or Rosicky on the left and Sanchez on the right all along with Ozil in the middle with Jack or Ramsey but we didn't do that.

Do you think were better going forward with Giroud in the team? We played shocking tonight and Welbeck hadnt got much service but he managed to get himself into goal scoring positions and had 3 good chances. When Giroud doesnt get service he drops deep and very rarely gets himself into goalscoring positions.

They are both very different type of players and it's still very early days for Welbeck but Giroud allows the midfield to build and to hold onto possession and play as a team more.

I'm not criticizing Welbeck for tonight as the whole team were awful but to say we would have been even worse with Giroud is wide of the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Found on Twitter. Hard to laugh when I'm this down but this did it.

https://twitter.com/gunnerpunner/status/511978530973179906

Nothing to do with Walcott's return at all i think.

We could have been playing Ox or Rosicky on the left and Sanchez on the right all along with Ozil in the middle with Jack or Ramsey but we didn't do that.

I know that, you know that, the man on the street knows that, but does himself? It appears not.
    Until theo is back it wont happen surely, based on the last 7months

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    They are both very different type of players and it's still very early days for Welbeck but Giroud allows the midfield to build and to hold onto possession and play as a team more.

I'm not criticizing Welbeck for tonight as the whole team were awful but to say we would have been even worse with Giroud is wide of the mark.

Never said we would have been worse with Giroud up top but I just felt we looked more menacing going forward and on the counter with Welbeck as our striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Had to watch it on Sky +. Result was disappointing but meh it's not the most important game or anywhere near it this season, so I'll get over it.

Seriously worried about the lack of performance by a high % of players.

It's scary how obvious our failings are yet Arsene can't see it. You really can't ignore his failings in not signing defensive cover and his decision to not sign a DM and make a problem player the captain, it's exactly were we are struggling now.

Another season has begun and we have progressed 0% with regards to tactics, there just aren't any.

Is jack really injured, jaysus.

I know that, you know that, the man on the street knows that, but does himself? It appears not.
    Until theo is back it wont happen surely, based on the last 7months

The problem lies with the manager though.
    He has been out manouvered by every manager in the top 4 in the EPL and Europe at one time or another. He just hasn't got it tactically and you can't get that right by switching the team either.

The problem lies with the manager though.
    He has been out manouvered by every manager in the top 4 in the EPL and Europe at one time or another. He just hasn't got it tactically and you can't get that right by switching the team either.

Exacly, thats what I alluded to in my long post a coupl pages back. I was merely referring solely to Ozil

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement