Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Gary Neville did a brilliant analysis on Monday night football of the Arsenal Man City game.
    He talked about how Arsenal had huge defensive problems, highlighted by the fact that at 2-1 up and with 10 mins to go we could not close out the game, and close up shop.
    He ran thru a few phases where we made poor defensive passes, playing ourselves into trouble and our midfield were puled out of shape, caught up front too much and leaving big gaps down the middle.
    This was why he said we would stuggle against the big teams who would press and expose this.

Twas a good analysis, and considering the game last night , he was spot on.

I seen that thought it was a brilliant piece by him

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

We should hire him for tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I think once Sanchez settles in it will make a big difference. He has played well so far, but it is still very much as an individual. Once he gets used to the players around him and everyone gets used to playing with each other, we should see a big improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'd love to know what Steve Bould actually does. To have a league winning defender as your assistant manager and yet still defend like schoolboys is baffling.

I'd love to know what Steve Bould actually does. To have a league winning defender as your assistant manager and yet still defend like schoolboys is baffling.

Maybe he is shît at his job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

I'm commented earlier in the thread after our first or second game that he seems to be gone all Hollywood

Hope I'm wrong

How many times a game does he try that stupid backheel and nothing comes of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Gary Neville did a brilliant analysis on Monday night football of the Arsenal Man City game.
    He talked about how Arsenal had huge defensive problems, highlighted by the fact that at 2-1 up and with 10 mins to go we could not close out the game, and close up shop.
    He ran thru a few phases where we made poor defensive passes, playing ourselves into trouble and our midfield were puled out of shape, caught up front too much and leaving big gaps down the middle.
    This was why he said we would stuggle against the big teams who would press and expose this.

Yeah I mentioned that on Monday night. The clip of all the players with their backs to the ball whilst flamini was having a stretch and a chat with another player!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

omega man wrote: »
    Yeah I mentioned that on Monday night. The clip of all the players with their backs to the ball whilst flamini was having a stretch and a chat with another player!!

Yep thats the one, sorry didnt see your earlier post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Hyzepher wrote: »
    We should hire him for tactics

Worked out great for England :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

U-19's have won 2-0 away to Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Against a city side who stoke beat in the etihad in their previous game.

And we didn't beat them so what's the big deal about us playing well?

When Chelsea beat Barca, Liverpool beat Chelsea, Wigan beat Liverpool, Swindon beat Wigan. Aldershot beat Swindon.. So therefore Aldershot are the best team in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    When Chelsea beat Barca, Liverpool beat Chelsea, Wigan beat Liverpool, Swindon beat Wigan. Aldershot beat Swindon.. So therefore Aldershot are the best team in Europe

I see it hasn't taken long to be told to stop been so negative again.

All I was saying is city have hardly got going yet and people think its a wonderful thing we got a draw against them.

We looked good going forward but were terrible in defence.

Same old story. To me that doesn't equate to us playing well against city. Playing well is a combination of attack defence etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Wake up my ass are you watching this game you clown? He's made 7 saves so far and counting two crucial ones from mkhityarian tipping one wide and tipping one from a straight on shot over the bar! If you think szcz is the problem in this match I think you need to get a life! He could do nothing about the two goals and had made 7 saves so I don't see why he should be dropped

I bet you were the same person who said give bellerin a chance over chambers well there you go .. Clearly unprepared and not ready for a match of that magnitude.

I'm a goalkeeper for the last 15 years and it's people like you who piss me off! When szcz is world class don't come onto this forum saying he's the best thing since neuer

Jesus christ dude, if anyone needs to get a life it's you. I never said he was THE problem i said he was sh1t which he was, 2nd goal was woeful there's a lot he could have done.

Well you bet wrong, i said nothing of Bellerin so...yeah. I don't care how long you've been a GK Szcz will never be world class, that's not my fault so don't start throwing insults around as if i'm some sort of asshole for having a different opinion than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Jesus christ dude, if anyone needs to get a life it's you. I never said he was THE problem i said he was sh1t which he was, 2nd goal was woeful there's a lot he could have done.

Well you bet wrong, i said nothing of Bellerin so...yeah. I don't care how long you've been a GK Szcz will never be world class, that's not my fault so don't start throwing insults around as if i'm some sort of asshole for having a different opinion than you.

Have people just forgotten that Szczesny was joint best BPL GK last season?

Also i've a feeling that the people calling for Szczesny to be dropped have never watched Ospina and think he's some GK god!

Like Ospina is good.. But not on Szczesny's level *yet*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

People are basically saying it's tactics and squad because that's all we really know anything about. You need to look at the pattern for what it is, not just where we see an obvious fix.

This team is mentally weak. They can't handle a big game that isn't in the Emirates. They can't handle the first leg of a big Champions league game. they can't handle the pressure of a title challenge.

Basically any pressure or expectation and they crumble.

... except when their backs are to the wall.

They can deliver a championship winning style run in ... when 4th is on the line.

They can play blinders against Barca, Milan and Bayern ... provided they've lost the first leg 3 or 4 nil.

It's a massive problem and god knows how we're going to fix it.

Edited to include: and we froze in the FA cup semi AND final but Wigan and Hull let us away with it. This goes all the way back to the final against Birmingham and perhaps before tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

U-19's have won 2-0 away to Dortmund.

Can we try be football hipsters and pretend we only like youth football and we know all the players before they become mainstream?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

This logic is completely flawed, for it to be factual the first team to be beat should have been Bayern

For now we need to switch back to 4-2-3-1

Play Ramsey and wilshere behind ozil and Sanchez and ox on the wing

I no people will say we will concede but we won't be any worse defensively as we are now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Can we try be football hipsters and pretend we only like youth football and we know all the players before they become mainstream?

It's upto ya mate...;)

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Have people just forgotten that Szczesny was joint best BPL GK last season?

Also i've a feeling that the people calling for Szczesny to be dropped have never watched Ospina and think he's some GK god!

Like Ospina is good.. But not on Szczesny's level *yet*.

By that measure though Fabianski is having a better season than Chesney so far. And I was told Ospina was a big upgrade on him....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Now that I'm thinking about it, post invincibles when we just played and brought through youngsters, we basically started playing the big matches like inexperienced kids.

Somehow we've kept that mentality and thinking now of the previous FA cup when Arsenal held a superior Man U team for 120 mins and won on penalties, you'd wonder how it was te same club and manager.

The only light is that we've corrected other stuff. Hopefully this spell is jut a blip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

We all go on about the amount we concede from set pieces but to be honest I think the lack of goals we score from them is just as concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I see the Villa game is a nice traditional Saturday 3pm kick off thankfully.

This game will tell us a lot about the players state of mind. Will they respond to wengers rally call (assuming there was one)? If they don't perform then it could be the start of players doubting wengers ability to bring them on as a team and individually.

For me it's going to be how the players react to last night as I've no doubt wenger won't change his tactical approach. It'll be the same approach as usual from arsene. Only a win will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

gosplan wrote: »
    People are basically saying it's tactics and squad because that's all we really know anything about. You need to look at the pattern for what it is, not just where we see an obvious fix.

This team is mentally weak. They can't handle a big game that isn't in the Emirates. They can't handle the first leg of a big Champions league game. they can't handle the pressure of a title challenge.

Basically any pressure or expectation and they crumble.

... except when their backs are to the wall.

They can deliver a championship winning style run in ... when 4th is on the line.

They can play blinders against Barca, Milan and Bayern ... provided they've lost the first leg 3 or 4 nil.

It's a massive problem and god knows how we're going to fix it.

Edited to include: and we froze in the FA cup semi AND final but Wigan and Hull let us away with it. This goes all the way back to the final against Birmingham and perhaps before tbh.

All of which stems from the manager......its getting pathetic now at this stage. Maybe if we lost that FA cup we would have a better tactical manager now. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just saying dont call in the Wenger is Wonderful brigade!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

It's just sad that it takes a heavy defeat for the team to respond, they should be responding every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

It's just sad that it takes a heavy defeat for the team to respond, they should be responding every week

They haven't responded yet Villa could very well do us over.

We need to start winning games and picking up some points.

On lasts nights result for me it boils down to Wenger we have the players to compete these days to be brushed aside with such ease is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Were you not watching the games last season when the same thing happened.
    Any of us who watch Arsenal could have given the same analysis.
    We all see it except Wenger.

6 points from the next 2 matches looks pretty important now. No excuses for not getting them either.

Very poor interview on BBC by Wenger.
    Glossing over everything and saying that the team didn't perform on the night.

The manager didn't perform either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Lassana Diarra is a free agent and only 29. Better than what we have?

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »

Is that the lad Fabregas threw at Ferguson :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Raf32 wrote: »

I'd take him in a heart beat! We shouldn't have let him go in the first place imo!

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/512079/Former-Chelsea-star-Lassana-Diarra-tipped-for-shock-Arsenal-return

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

I know it's early days but I reckon we will have a fight on just to make 4th again. Serious deja vu from last season with us being caught wide open on counter attacks and conceding soft goals while struggling to find a goalscorer ourselves ( bar sanchez). We were all crying out for a top class DM all summer and to sell TV5 and not properly replace him was ludicrous. Wenger needs to take a good look at himself because his performance in the transfer window was atrocious. I can see this being a frustrating season for us supporters with a few heavy away defeats to the top teams. Tactically Wenger seems to be out of his depth in the big games and doesn't seem to motivate the players like klopf did for dortmund last night. It's very frustrating but hardly surprising but wengers stubbornness and lack of signings means a long slog of a season. So sad to have to go through the same cr*p year after year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Diarra is a no brainer bring him in massive upgrade on flamini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Jaysus, hard to believe he's 29! We were stupid to let him go originally, can't see us getting him back now. We need to really invest properly in that position in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Too early to hang Welbeck out to dry, once he gets a goal or two he can do a job for us. He is an honest lad and a good worker is still alot better then Sanogo.....Cant hammer Ozil or Sanchez as both are being played out of position, but at least Sanchez runs his arse off unlike Ozil. The rest of the team need a huge wake up call, I think Mert has gotten even slower and the whole team looked knackered after the city game. But we know that is how it is in the PL and CL two hard games a week its been like that for yrs. We barely have a squad for the PL never mind competing on both front. Utd will benefit big time with no CL this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Diarra is a no brainer bring him in massive upgrade on flamini

Has anyone seen him play lately?

Wenger has to go this summer, old man has lost the plot.

Welbeck was bad enough, now bringing in a semi retired money whore.

Does he have any clue what he is doing anymore?

Jose was right, he needs a dressing down from higher management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen him play lately?

Wenger has to go this summer, old man has lost the plot.

Welbeck was bad enough, now bringing in a semi retired money whore.

Does he have any clue what he is doing anymore?

Jose was right, he needs a dressing down from higher management.

You're definitely right about someone not having a clue..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

What's even sadder is all our fans making that trek to Germany to be subjected to that rubbish :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    You're definitely right about someone not having a clue..

Name a recent game where Wenger has proved to be tactically astute.

Its simple.

Wenger isn't getting the best out of these players.

We have some great players in our first eleven, players some managers could only dream of.

Get the finger out Wenger and earn that highest managerial wage in england you have yourself on.

Its simple.

Wenger isn't getting the best out of these players.

We have some great players in our first eleven, players some managers could only dream of.

Get the finger out Wenger and earn that highest managerial wage in england you have yourself on.

I agree. Leaving the financial side of things to one side for a moment i think that tactically we are fúckin terrible in the big games and we are repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I agree. Leaving the financial side of things to one side for a moment i think that tactically we are fúckin terrible in the big games and we are repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

I actually forget what it feels like to win a game against a top team. Deep down I expect a draw at best and fear a really bad mauling.

Not using this as an excuse for one second but what in gods name was either ourselves or the ref (or both) at by both wearing dark coloured tops last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not using this as an excuse for one second but what in gods name was either ourselves or the ref (or both) at by both wearing dark coloured tops last night?

Same tonight in the chelsea game. It must be what all the refs are wearing this round. Official refs jerseys for UCL are red, yellow and black. I don't understand why they didn't wear red last night.

• Advertisement

Aye it was pretty bloody annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Quazzie wrote: »
    Name a recent game where Wenger has proved to be tactically astute.

I agree that Wenger isn't the most tactically astute in general. But taking off Sanchez for Giroud against Everton at HT was a good move.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I actually forget what it feels like to win a game against a top team. Deep down I expect a draw at best and fear a really bad mauling.

We have to face facts, 8-2, 6-3, 5-1, 6-0 and it could have been another mauling last night. It tells its own story about the tactics and preparation.

Its nothing psychological, in fact id say we were being overconfident if we think we can go to these places away from home and leave the back door wide open.

Its just sheer bad tactics, bad positioning, and total naivety. Our manager who some seem hesitant to criticise has to take responsibility for this. What he has achieved in the past is becoming more and more irrelevant by the day. We're being setup to go away from home and get mauled and if anyone has questions with regards to Wenger thereafter, scorn is poured on them.

Id love for Wenger to make me eat my words but i know that it isnt going to happen any time soon. We are on a hiding to nothing in the big games unless he finally admits his tactics are a recipe for failure. We got the luck of the draw in the FA Cup last year and almost fúcked that up too.

dorgasm wrote: »
    I agree that Wenger isn't the most tactically astute in general. But taking off Sanchez for Giroud against Everton at HT was a good move.

Should have been ozil. Sanchez is twice the player ozil is.

Subbing a new player in his second game at half time is a bit of a risk for the players attitude in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Rudi Garcia looks some coach.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement