Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Rte panel made some good points about our players being too nice. Flamini is about the one with a bit of bite and is always pointing, organising and giving out, it's a pity his legs are gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Lads, welbeck will come good for ye, has suffered under presure at utd too but keep faith :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lassana Diarra, apparently a free agent is on our radar. Similar to Flamini in that he left for bigger and better things - Portsmouth ! Anyway he's 29 now and could provide some much needed strength to our midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

dorgasm wrote: »
    Justify that statement please. Ridiculous how you're writing him off so early. He's looked dangerous, getting into the positions. Just needs to put the first one in.

Its just my opinion on his career up to now, never did it for united & didn't exactly rip it up at Sunderland either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

liam7831 wrote: »
    Welbeck is gonna be a flop, be lucky if he gets in double figures this season. Remy would have been a great signing compared to him and for half the price......the mind boggles

The only flop playing v Dortmund is Mesut Ozil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

liam7831 wrote: »
    Remy would have been a great signing compared to him and for half the price......the mind boggles

I'm not a fan of Welbeck by stretch of the imagination but I'd have bought him over Remy. Having said that, neither of them are players of ermmmmm "Top, top quality"

Nothing but filler imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Any decent defenders available for loan? That should be a priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wonga77 wrote: »
    Any decent defenders available for loan? That should be a priority

Don't think we can get players on loan now window is shut, only free agents - Diarra plays right back too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    The only flop playing v Dortmund is Mesut Ozil.

Didn't know the game was still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Schalke draw away to Chelsea, Bayern beat City at home, Dortmund beat Arsenal at home, German teams got the hex on the Premiership.

Last night doesn't look as bad after tonight's results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Lads, welbeck will come good for ye, has suffered under presure at utd too but keep faith :)

If he was Scottish he wouldn't get a game for Rangers.

Justify that statement please. Ridiculous how you're writing him off so early. He's looked dangerous, getting into the positions. Just needs to put the first one in.

How many do you fancy him for so? I'd put the over/under at about 7 league and 11 total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Didn't know the game was still going.

Typical boards troll you know exactly what I intended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Zico wrote: »
    If he was Scottish he wouldn't get a game for Rangers.

You have to be Scottish to play for rangers?? Even Sanogo would walk onto the rangers team ;-)

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Typical boards troll you know exactly what I intended

Ha, troll :pac:

Yeah you intended on spouting completely unrelated crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

How many do you fancy him for so? I'd put the over/under at about 7 league and 11 total.

If he plays as our main striker this year, I can see him getting around 12-15. Maybe a tad optimistic but I like what I've seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

The Daily Mail ( yes I know) are saying we are sniffing around Lugano and Joseph Yobo.. While we need numbers obviously, this highlights our farcical transfer policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

The Daily Mail ( yes I know) are saying we are sniffing around Lugano and Joseph Yobo.. While we need numbers obviously, this highlights our farcical transfer policy

It tells you Wenger has lost the run of himself.

We need a DOF or Wenger has to go in the summer.

This can't go on

How much?

If he plays as our main striker this year, I can see him getting around 12-15. Maybe a tad optimistic but I like what I've seen so far.
    Well it's only 1 over the over/under :P
    Godge wrote: »
    How much?
    I'm setting the under/over. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    It tells you Wenger has lost the run of himself.

We need a DOF or Wenger has to go in the summer.

This can't go on

You are incredibly dramatic with your wenger out mentality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    You are incredibly dramatic with your wenger out mentality

I should probably tone it down.I will try.

He just pisses me off so much, can't bear to look at him and his smug face these days.

Anyone else feel the same?

He just pisses me off so much, can't bear to look at him and his smug face these days.

Ya he does really annoy me at times too but he has done more for the club than anyone and I think you that we should remember that.

I could make a comment about Chelsea and their complete lack of loyalty but a simple glance at their trophy haul and current squad and you'll see that loyalty means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

For anyone who has an interest , and there probably won't be many,twitters most vocal and high profile arsenal fan piers Morgan co hosted talksport drive time last night and expressed typically divisive points about arsenal... Divides opinion always but some interesting points made, most of which have been listed here already to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

For anyone who has an interest , and there probably won't be many,twitters most vocal and high profile arsenal fan piers Morgan co hosted talksport drive time last night and expressed typically divisive points about arsenal... Divides opinion always but some interesting points made, most of which have been listed here already to be fair

I'd rather have my ears pulled off

Well it's only 1 over the over/under :P

I'm setting the under/over. :P

But you don't want to put money on it? You can have under and I'll take over.

Good question if he wants to stay as our main striker he will probably need between 15-20 this season

Joseph Yobo and Lassana Diarra would actually be excellent additions, if it was 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

What does Alisher Usmanov's face do for you? Because if you don't like how Wenger has built a competitive club and a stadium without saddling us with debt, he's the alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What does Alisher Usmanov's face do for you? Because if you don't like how Wenger has built a competitive club and a stadium without saddling us with debt, he's the alternative.
    I'd kiss him for a tactically capable manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Fair play to Wenger and all.. but if that's what hes good at maybe he should step aside in to a Football Directors role and bring in a younger manager who knows the modern game better!

Don't get me wrong I don't want Wenger to go at all, I want him to stay 1/2 more years to see how things go and I completely agree Wenger has kept this club a float the right way and it's a project he implemented he should be at least given the chance to balance the ship! - but to reiterate my point that's what a Director of Football is good at.. Wenger needs to get his tactics right and his head together for the coming season

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd kiss him for a tactically capable manager.

I wouldn't kiss him with your lips, mate! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Fair play to Wenger and all.. but if that's what hes good at maybe he should step aside in to a Football Directors role and bring in a younger manager who knows the modern game better!

Don't get me wrong I don't want Wenger to go at all, I want him to stay 1/2 more years to see how things go and I completely agree Wenger has kept this club a float the right way and it's a project he implemented he should be at least given the chance to balance the ship! - but to reiterate my point that's what a Director of Football is good at.. Wenger needs to get his tactics right and his head together for the coming season

I agree but feel we do at least need to see some kind of improvement I'm games against the big clubs home and away. Ok were better at home but not great either. He has to show he can bend and change tactics depending on the opposition. Dortmund made us look schoolboy during the week it wasn't the defeat but the manner of the defeat that angered most.

That along with stopping ignoring problem positions which everyone can see. For years he stuck by Almunia when he was never the standard required and the same is happening now with Arteta and Song before him neither were ever good enough.

Ok up front he has done the same with Giroud but I'll give some leeway until we see how Welbeck turns out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't think Wenger has any other tactics.
    He has done wonders for the club and the stadium BUT very little by way of success on the pitch in the last 10 years.
    I remember Murinho being chased out of Chelsea i think it was the year after winning the CL. Not calling for Wenger's dismissal as such because it won't happen but the club needs to bring in someone alongside him who has a football brain. If not then Wenger might be more suited to the boardroom and someone else as manager.
    Sentiment wins you nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I'd like to see a few changes for the weekend. Villa is now a MASSIVE game for us.
    Something like this:

Chesney

Chambers Mert Kos Gibbs

Arteta Jack

Ox Santi Alexis

Welbeck

• Advertisement

but some interesting points made, most of which have been listed here already to be fair

Think Piers is a boardsie? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I agree with you Ed, HUGE game at the weekend. Think we need to rotate the midfield berths up a bit. I liked the Ox's energy when he came against Dortmund. Rosicky has supposedly been chomping at the bit to play this season, I couldn't fit Cazorla in - but I plumped for the Ox on the wing as he hopefully should offer more protection to Bellerin (Chambers if fit) as he will track back.

We need to ditch this years system too - we look woeful at the back, as the team aren't defending as a unit - like we managed last year.

I can't see Wenger dropping Ozil, but for the love of Dennis Bergkamp (God), we need to start playing him in his proper position.

Chesney

Bellerin Mert Kos Gibbs

Arteta Rosicky
    Ox Ozil Sanchez

Welbeck

Think Welbeck needs one goal to get started with his Arsenal career. He got into good positions on Tuesday and the goals will come. I'd be up for taking on that bet too Button - think he will get over 8 league goals for Arsenal this year.

The back four should hold their line not more than 10 yards outside the box.
    They are too slow getting back against speedy attackers. Villa have Agbonlahor, Delph and Benteke (if he's back) who will attack at pace like Navas did. Jack and Kos couldn't keep pace with Immobile and he running with the ball.
    Arteta should not go more than 10/15 yards further up the field than the back 4 either. Too many big gaps between back 4 and midfield/DM in last few games.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    I agree with you Ed, HUGE game at the weekend. Think we need to rotate the midfield berths up a bit. I liked the Ox's energy when he came against Dortmund. Rosicky has supposedly been chomping at the bit to play this season, I couldn't fit Cazorla in - but I plumped for the Ox on the wing as he hopefully should offer more protection to Bellerin (Chambers if fit) as he will track back.

We need to ditch this years system too - we look woeful at the back, as the team aren't defending as a unit - like we managed last year.

I can't see Wenger dropping Ozil, but for the love of Dennis Bergkamp (God), we need to start playing him in his proper position.

Chesney

Bellerin Mert Kos Gibbs

Arteta Rosicky
    Ox Ozil Sanchez

Welbeck

Think Welbeck needs one goal to get started with his Arsenal career. He got into good positions on Tuesday and the goals will come. I'd be up for taking on that bet too Button - think he will get over 8 league goals for Arsenal this year.

I'd agree with most of that but no way I'd be dropping Wilshere for Rosicky. No point in dropping our best player this season.

Would like Arteta dropped to but sadly the alternative is Flamini so he keeps his place.

They are too slow getting back against speedy attackers. Villa have Agbonlahor, Delph and Benteke (if he's back) who will attack at pace like Navas did. Jack and Kos couldn't keep pace with Immobile and he running with the ball.
    Arteta should not go more than 10/15 yards further up the field than the back 4 either. Too many big gaps between back 4 and midfield/DM in last few games.

Don't think Benteke is playing this weekend. Saw that he was only looking forward to getting back training this week, and he's had a long lay off too.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with most of that but no way I'd be dropping Wilshere for Rosicky. No point in dropping our best player this season.

Would like Arteta dropped to but sadly the alternative is Flamini so he keeps his place.

Sorry, thought i'd included it on my post but saw that Wilshere was a doubt. If he's fit to play, play him, but if not Rosicky should be brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't think Wenger has any other tactics.
    He has done wonders for the club and the stadium BUT very little by way of success on the pitch in the last 10 years.
    I remember Murinho being chased out of Chelsea i think it was the year after winning the CL. Not calling for Wenger's dismissal as such because it won't happen but the club needs to bring in someone alongside him who has a football brain. If not then Wenger might be more suited to the boardroom and someone else as manager.
    Sentiment wins you nothing.

I agree with a lot of this.

But taking a look at Chelsea.

Their success was built on firstly spending about 400 million on a team which would cost you twice that now and then hiring Jose.

After Jose left the team were good enough to pick up trophies but the trajectory was downwards. They hired the best available manager every time and all they did was wobble.

That's with resources we could never hope to meet. When they really had problems they just spent enough to cover it.

Just like Utd are doing now - problems with the squad? Fix the problems and bring in Di Maria and Falcao as well to get them back up the table.

We will never ever have that response available to us.

If Chelsea were on our budget they would regret firing Jose for a long long time. If Man U were they would be far more worried about the future right now.

Maybe it's not right to be scared of the unknown but for all his flaws i think Wenger does a lot of great stuff that we're so used to we just take for granted.

gosplan wrote: »

Their success was built on firstly spending about 400 million on a team which would cost you twice that now and then hiring Jose.

After Jose left the team were good enough to pick up trophies but the trajectory was downwards. They hired the best available manager every time and all they did was wobble.

That's with resources we could never hope to meet. When they really had problems they just spent enough to cover it.

Just like Utd are doing now - problems with the squad? Fix the problems and bring in Di Maria and Falcao as well to get them back up the table.

If Chelsea were on our budget they would regret firing Jose for a long long time. If Man U were they would be far more worried about the future right now.

Maybe it's not right to be scared of the unknown but for all his flaws i think Wenger does a lot of great stuff that we're so used to we just take for granted.

Like what?
    I don't want us to be like Chelsea and United but i do expect us to improve steadily with what we have and to learn from our mistakes.
    We do not seem to do that as we are still making the same mistakes or at least Wenger is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

The pace that Villa has would be my main concern.
    Would it worth, you reckon, to play Chambers instead of Mert at CB?

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Sorry, thought i'd included it on my post but saw that Wilshere was a doubt. If he's fit to play, play him, but if not Rosicky should be brought in.

If Wilshere is out then I'd use it as a chance to revert by to Arteta and Ramsey at CM further back and Ozil in the middle where he belongs.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    The pace that Villa has would be my main concern.
    Would it worth, you reckon, to play Chambers instead of Mert at CB?

At some stage during the season we will have to play him there.
    Mert won't play every game nor will Kos. The way we're going i can see him even playing DM.

I don't think we can keep using money as an excuse or get out clause for Wenger or the club.

We have the players to compete bar one or two positions that could have been fixed in numerous windows but have been ignored by the manager would another manager ignore such glaringly obvious holes I think not.

Secondly we are now spending huge amounts of money on players, Sanchez and Ozil were no bargain basement buys and would be seen as two of the biggest transfers the last two summer transfer Windows.

Like what?
    I don't want us to be like Chelsea and United but i do expect us to improve steadily with what we have and to learn from our mistakes.
    We do not seem to do that as we are still making the same mistakes or at least Wenger is.

Granted, but we have improved steadily in terms of consistency and points totals over the last few years.

The bottling issue has gone away in that we're not conceding 4 to Newcastle and we actually looked really solid against the other teams last season.

The big teams are still the problem.

Right now feels like a 'two steps back' moment but if you stand back from te pain of it all, our trajectory has been upwards for some time.

The problem is that Wenger won't sign the five players he needs but rather three of them and take a risk without the other two.

But I really believe that without Wenger we'll be signing Soldados instead of Sanchezes.

But I really believe that without Wenger we'll be signing Soldados instead of Sanchezes.

I don't think so with the money Wenger earns and the clubs reputation we could easily attract top managers which draws in top players.

I don't think so with the money Wenger earns and the clubs reputation we could easily attract top managers which draws in top players.

Perhaps but if we find ourselves out of the CL places which has happened to Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool, we'll have very little to offer.

The move by so many rising stats to France and people like Falcao and Di Maria going to Utd shows that there's one thing that really motivates top players.

But look this year we bought Ozil Sanchez and Chambers. 3 more like that next summer in the Striker, DMF and CB positions and we'll look really strong.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement