Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I've been very consistent with my criticisms, I'm not being reactionary. Hell, I pretty much predicted the current injury mess at the back.

With us though, that's like predicting rain in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I have been afraid to post here for the slating il get but anyway....this place is gone to pot since the beginning of the season with some of the worst type of reactionary hyperbole and sheep media mentality that was rare in this forum in the past.

We have played 5 competitive games. In that period Jack Wilshere, Olivier Giroud, Mesut Ozil, Mathieu Flamini and Mikel Arteta have been slated, cast off, disregarded and put up for sale by many on here. After 5 games. Hell even Chesney is headed towards the bench now with Mert. But wait...at the same time we have an unreal squad apparently yet we writing off 5 or 6 and now turning on the manager. Are some of you guys for real??

Jeez he has his faults lord we know that. It's a pity though we couldn't get more independent analytical thought on here (bar a few) rather than the reactionary twitter/media driven crap we are getting. Anyone that thinks Wenger is tactically clueless is simply the latter themselves...clueless and impervious to history, fact and ability to study those and make up their mind. Wenger while hugely influenced by attacking philosophy is not or has not been tactically clueless.

No Manager wins 3 EPL's, 5 FA Cups and goes 49 unbeaten if tactically clueless. He makes lots of mistakes...loads. Like every other manager. What makes me laugh most is calling him tactically clueless, always the same, predictable, etc. the very same people slating the 4-1-4-1 formation. It's 5 games in...he is trying this to maximise the teams potential. It is a tactical change. 5 games...maybe a lot of ye are addicted to Football Manager or something but this is real life. Maybe he will revert back when he thinks it has failed. Maybe it will succeed. This is football...none of this is preordained. For those of you who want instant gratification follow Cesc to the Kings Road.

W also shifted to 4-4-2 at two different points in big games last season mid game and guess what...we won! mourinho = master class....Wenger does it and we get out of jail. Anyone that things we are anything else than a work in progress and with expectations grander than that will be disappointed this year I think. Jesus I'm as disappointed as everyone else with Tuesday. This is the same team who were decimated with injury last season and pummelled Madrid 2-0 and should have put them out. A top quality side better than us. Yet we had people on here expecting the win.

We need to calm down here a bit and get some perspective 5 games into the season.

I agree. I think this is just a wobble due to losing key players and changing formation.

I think a lot of people though are just broken down from the capitulation over the years.

It'll make the good times great though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

So villa tomorrow, big game against a side in good form who will be very physical against us.
    We will need to be at our best. I hope to see a reaction from the players and the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

In times gone by we've usually seen an "afraid to lose" approach in the game immediately after a non-performance. Hoping that we dont go out at Villa Park afraid to give it a right go. While they've been impressive, we should be winning games like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I've been very consistent with my criticisms, I'm not being reactionary. Hell, I pretty much predicted the current injury mess at the back.

Button you would be hating Arsenal if we won the league :pac:. Are you sure you are in the right thread :P

gosplan wrote: »
    I agree. I think this is just a wobble due to losing key players and changing formation.

I think a lot of people though are just broken down from the capitulation over the years.

It'll make the good times great though :)

We are a negative bunch of sods at times me included, without doubt the worse fans on here. I doubt other fan's moan as much as we do.

I just think watching other teams get better and we're stuck in the same situation year in and year out happy to accept 4th (it's nice to get it) plus the lack of sorting out our main weakness's and Wenger sprouting the same B.S after another title race goes down the pan. It does wear you down, after a few bad performances you really just can't help thinking "not again".

You seriously want to defend the team and manager but after performances like Dortmund, Everton and Leicester you just can't defend it :(

greendom wrote: »
    Am I stupid or hopelessly optimistic to think that after Tuesday the penny will have finally dropped and there is a realisation that we cannot give top level opponents the freedom of our half with just a couple of central defenders to keep their attack company.

Hopelessly optimistic maybe, The sad truth is we can only play one way, that's the overall weakness to us. We don't have the players to bully and harass the opposite team. We are a pass it through them and score the perfect goal, if we get bullied out of it there isn't a Plan B. That's the scary thing.

You just can't Imagine Ozil or Carzola, getting stuck in for the battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Looper007 wrote: »
    Hopelessly optimistic maybe, The sad truth is we can only play one way, that's the overall weakness to us. We don't have the players to bully and harass the opposite team. We are a pass it through them and score the perfect goal, if we get bullied out of it there isn't a Plan B. That's the scary thing.

You just can't Imagine Ozil or Carzola, getting stuck in for the battle.

but even if there was an awareness that their presence, blocking the path to goal will slow things down and allow the maurading full backs to get back and defend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

dibs101 wrote: »
    Just speaking of grimandi, completely forgot about when he punched simeone and when he elbowed guardiola in the face. Absolute legend, great goal by bobby at the end of the first clip. Off topic I know but think the thread could do with some lightening up.... COYG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1XeLFrMSKQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEGbRYhoqA4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Two things

1. even the greats were susceptible to mistakes read PV4

2. they knew how to finish, we get so many chances but we hardly finish them and try to pass the ball even from 6 yards out.

gosplan wrote: »
    With us though, that's like predicting rain in Galway.
    Yet I was being negative.
    Looper007 wrote: »
    Button you would be hating Arsenal if we won the league :pac:. Are you sure you are in the right thread :P
    I want to be wrong. Same with what happened last night in Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wilshere, Flamini and Chambers fit for tomorrow. Some good news I suppose. AW calling for support for Özil. Which could mean he wont drop him tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yet I was being negative.

I want to be wrong. Same with what happened last night in Scotland.

Maybe you will take up my offer of a small wager on your over/under Wellbeck goals prediction? I'll take over and you can take under.

You can be happy either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Godge wrote: »
    Maybe you will take up my offer of a small wager on your over/under Wellbeck goals prediction? I'll take over and you can take under.

Surely Godge if Button offered an over under and you take it up then you have to pay him if Over isnt reached not only if the Under isnt beaten ;)

Godge wrote: »

The over/under I set meant I though 50/50 for either, I'm not letting you call it. :pac:

Where would you be happy to set it for the season? Say 20 quid for Aware?

EDIT: I'll take Under 12.5 if that'll do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Looking for a bit of advice lads, going over for a game in January and wondering what's the best place to fly into and stay for a night or 2. I am thinking Gatwick airport and from there getting the train to Kings Cross and staying in that area?? :confused:

Cheers lads.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice lads, going over for a game in January and wondering what's the best place to fly into and stay for a night or 2. I am thinking Gatwick airport and from there getting the train to Kings Cross and staying in that area?? :confused:

Cheers lads.

Gatwick is well to the South of London, so City of London Airport, Heathrow, Stanstead or even Luton would all be better options. In terms of where to stay,London is your oyster and I suppose it really depends on your budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Gatwick is well to the South of London, so City of London Airport, Heathrow, Stanstead or even Luton would all be better options. In terms of where to stay,London is your oyster and I suppose it really depends on your budget

In terms of price, Stansted is the best balance between closest/cheapest to travel to the city by train and plane

Most Airports in London are miles out of the city (doesnt matter if you're too south, too north, too east.. you're always at least 40km away) , so you will always pay top dollar for transport to the city, once you get to the centre , the tube is your crutch and youre ten minutes from everything

People will say Heathrow but there's pros/cons to everything you pay more for an Aer Lingus flight than Ryanair.. so it depends what you're looking for..

If you are looking for good price/luxury and location I usually stay in Hyde Park Executive Apartments.

Otherwise if I'm just going for a match I'll stay in an Easyhotel. They once offered me a window for an extra two pounds , I obliged, thinking I'd get a spectacular view of London, silly me I got to look at the staff in the office adjacent to the building doing spreadsheets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cheers lads.

Fly to Heathrow and get the tube to Kings Cross.
    Here's a good place to stay and not too expensive.

http://www.travelodge.ie/saver_rooms/

About 15 mins walk.
    Here's a list of hotels in the area too -

http://www.milford.co.uk/england/emirates-stadium.html

I 'm just looking for the handiest way of getting into London city centre from the airport, flying with Ryanair so its between Gatwick, Luton and Stanstead. There doesn't seem to be a big difference in prices between the above 3 railway services into the city centre, all seem to be around 30-35 pound for a return ticket. Looking for somewhere to stay that would be in between the stadium and central London as the missis wants to do a bit of sight seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I 'm just looking for the handiest way of getting into London city centre from the airport, flying with Ryanair so its between Gatwick, Luton and Stanstead. There doesn't seem to be a big difference in prices between the above 3 railway services into the city centre, all seem to be around 30-35 pound for a return ticket. Looking for somewhere to stay that would be in between the stadium and central London as the missis wants to do a bit of sight seeing.

Definitley check out Hyde Park Executive Apartments, 2 minutes from oxford street on a tube and 10 minutes from Ashburton Grove (Emirates).. plus very cheap.. I'm not canvasing I just stay there with my misses whenever I go

Just if you're looking at a map it's London City Airport, not City of London.
    CityJet fly to London City Airport from Dublin, is right on a DLR line, includes snack/breakfast on-board and a checked bag. It's much nicer to pass through as well. If there's only a small price difference on the dates you're looking at I'd strongly consider it.

EDIT: Quick comparison for the Stoke match going over on Friday and back on Sunday, CityJet is 40 more than Ryanair. 20 of that is made up for by the cheaper travel connection from the airport. Whether the time savings are worth 20 quid or not is up to yourself.

Thanks for the quick replies lads some great info there cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

If you don't use the gatwick express, trains from Gatwick are about £15 return to Victoria from here http://www.southernrailway.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

^ I'd recommend the regular train to Victoria also. Half the price, and not even that much longer a journey.

If you don't use the gatwick express, trains from Gatwick are about £15 return to Victoria from here http://www.southernrailway.com/

Thanks for that, its half the price of the Express. What's the catch :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Takes a bit longer I'd say. Stops at more stops

Just checking that out there, seems to be a day return only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ah sorry, the one I'm thinking of doesn't go to Victoria, it's to London Bridge station!

Looking on thetrainline.com it's £18 for an open return

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

I have been afraid to post here for the slating il get but anyway....this place is gone to pot since the beginning of the season with some of the worst type of reactionary hyperbole and sheep media mentality that was rare in this forum in the past.

We have played 5 competitive games. In that period Jack Wilshere, Olivier Giroud, Mesut Ozil, Mathieu Flamini and Mikel Arteta have been slated, cast off, disregarded and put up for sale by many on here. After 5 games. Hell even Chesney is headed towards the bench now with Mert. But wait...at the same time we have an unreal squad apparently yet we writing off 5 or 6 and now turning on the manager. Are some of you guys for real??

Jeez he has his faults lord we know that. It's a pity though we couldn't get more independent analytical thought on here (bar a few) rather than the reactionary twitter/media driven crap we are getting. Anyone that thinks Wenger is tactically clueless is simply the latter themselves...clueless and impervious to history, fact and ability to study those and make up their mind. Wenger while hugely influenced by attacking philosophy is not or has not been tactically clueless.

No Manager wins 3 EPL's, 5 FA Cups and goes 49 unbeaten if tactically clueless. He makes lots of mistakes...loads. Like every other manager. What makes me laugh most is calling him tactically clueless, always the same, predictable, etc. the very same people slating the 4-1-4-1 formation. It's 5 games in...he is trying this to maximise the teams potential. It is a tactical change. 5 games...maybe a lot of ye are addicted to Football Manager or something but this is real life. Maybe he will revert back when he thinks it has failed. Maybe it will succeed. This is football...none of this is preordained. For those of you who want instant gratification follow Cesc to the Kings Road.

W also shifted to 4-4-2 at two different points in big games last season mid game and guess what...we won! mourinho = master class....Wenger does it and we get out of jail. Anyone that things we are anything else than a work in progress and with expectations grander than that will be disappointed this year I think. Jesus I'm as disappointed as everyone else with Tuesday. This is the same team who were decimated with injury last season and pummelled Madrid 2-0 and should have put them out. A top quality side better than us. Yet we had people on here expecting the win.

We need to calm down here a bit and get some perspective 5 games into the season.

Agree with everything you say here but it is frustrating when the whole world and his dog knew we needed another CB and a strong DM and neither arrived and here we are struggling in those areas. Wenger had an excellent opportunity after getting Sanchez, Chambers & Welbeck to have the best ever transfer window and set us up for a real good go at the title. Instead I don't think we're going to improve on 4th place.

+1.

I think Crystal Palace or Selhurst Park is one of those stops iirc.

• Advertisement

London City Airport... Missus can take a full bag of crap with her. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

everyone has their own preference for travelling id say, i used to live in london and as I had family in Luton I always used to fly there. You will still have a bit of travelling to do either way and as someone said earlier it depends on your budget. Once you get to kings cross or anywheer like that its fairly easy as long as you understand the underground system

At least 6 weeks out for Debuchy, more if surgery is required. At this stage I was expecting the worse though

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29275029

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

GrinGo - I live in Islington about a mile from the ground. Travel home to Ireland at least every 8 weeks.

On the list of Hotels Tayto provided:
    The Jurys Inn at Angel is now called a Double Tree operated by Hilton. It is great if within your budget. You could walk to the ground in 40 minutes or abOut 15/20 minutes by bus. It is also handy for the west end for shopping or shows for the missus as it is about £10 taxi into the westend or a 20/30 minute bus trip with bus stop bringing you right into the west end. Handy also for the night life around Islington - plenty of great late night bars and restaurants.

The hotels listed on seven sisters road - personally I couldn't recommend. Some are beside DSS hostels and whilst they will be the closest to the football stadium, it wouldn't be the best of areas and certainly you would need your wits about you at times as there is a significant crack and heroin issue around there and Finsbury Park.

The Citadines appartments come recommended by friends who stayed there and very handy for the west end - walking distance and just a short tube hop to the ground. Similarly the hotels in Russell square.

The Montana in Kings cross I would void. Unless you want to visit the numerous brothels on the same street mascerading as hotels or score some crack.

On flights and airports -

Depends on your timing BUT Luton in terms of security is the best - you are in and out very quickly, Gatwick not far behind but Stanstead can be a pain in the arse. The train prices are pretty much similar but the fast train from Luton or the slow train from Gatwick both come into Kings Cross are faster than the Stansted express. I always fly Luton if I can with Stansted my least favourite just for the train journey time and the security time.

PM if you need any advice as I've been living over here 20+ years and know the area well and can recommend stuff for the missus to get you in the good books whilst you watch Arsenal win 4-0.

But much more convenient for North London than Victoria and the time taken getting from Victoria to North London means the slow train is just as fast.

At least 6 weeks out for Debuchy, more if surgery is required. At this stage I was expecting the worse though

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29275029

My seat is right by where he got injured albeit in the upper tier. I would have bet my life savings that he had broken his leg given the way he was acting plus the gas and Arteta's reaction. Couldn't believe it was only ligament damage albeit given no one was near him that made more sense. Welbeck was one of only 2 players who went over and consoled him. I can't remember who else but was impressed by Welbeck for doing that.

Welbeck got a fantastic reception from the fans from the outset against City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So our revenue hit the 301 million mark and wage bill is 166 million.

Anyone know we're that puts us compared to other clubs?

Pretty much what you'd expect, lower than Chelsea and City, above the rest with United being a question mark what with all their additions this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya sure thats right?

In 2012-13 we done about 256m and for last year, the increase of TV money and EPL finishing put us at about 335m although some of that is with selling of players which puts it up a fair whack.

Without transfers included we're down about 80m on that figure.

Our wage bill is in and around 180m for 2013-14 which is about 14m more than you guys or 270k a week, if you want a simple view of it.

Our wage bill reported for 2014-15 will probably see a saving of about 20million though with Lampard, Torres, Eto'o, Cole all leaving.

This is our wage bill through recent years :
    2012-13 - £176.6m
    2011-12 - £171m
    2010-11 - £189.5m
    2009-10 - £172.5m
    2008-09 - £165.6m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Revenue yet again FFS.??? We are not broke or likely to be.

Can we not concentrate on the football, the team and the manager and discuss the good and bad points of all of it?
    Wenger is a football manager, not a banker.
    I'd prefer if he was motivating the team before they go on the pitch,placing the players properly, fixing the wrongs, plugging the gaps and getting up to speed with the tactics and fitness needed to win matches.

Let the accountants look after the money end.
    You don't see the managers of the other top teams being involved in the financial dealings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

-end of may 14
    turnover 301.9 up from 280.4
    wages 166.4 up from 154.5
    selling players 6.9 down from 47
    pre tax profit 4.7
    in the bank 173.3

Revenue yet again FFS.??? We are not broke or likely to be.

Can we not concentrate on the football, the team and the manager and discuss the good and bad points of all of it?
    Wenger is a football manager, not a banker.
    I'd prefer if he was motivating the team before they go on the pitch,placing the players properly, fixing the wrongs, plugging the gaps and getting up to speed with the tactics and fitness needed to win matches.

Let the accountants look after the money end.
    You don't see the managers of the other top teams being involved in the financial dealings.

This is all things Arsenal thread ;)

Was only asking to see how we compared to other clubs.

No mention of Wenger ;)

Deep breaths tayto :)

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya sure thats right?

In 2012-13 we done about 256m and for last year, the increase of TV money and EPL finishing put us at about 335m although some of that is with selling of players which puts it up a fair whack.

Without transfers included we're down about 80m on that figure.

Our wage bill is in and around 180m for 2013-14 which is about 14m more than you guys or 270k a week, if you want a simple view of it.

Our wage bill reported for 2014-15 will probably see a saving of about 20million though with Lampard, Torres, Eto'o, Cole all leaving.

This is our wage bill through recent years :
    2012-13 - £176.6m
    2011-12 - £171m
    2010-11 - £189.5m
    2009-10 - £172.5m
    2008-09 - £165.6m

If that is true puts a massive hole in one of the arguments that we cannot compete with Chelsea financially that's get thrown around here a bit.

Abromovich was one of the major players in pushing through FFP.

Wage bill isn't a whole lot bigger than ours and revenues are fairly similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If that is true puts a massive hole in one of the arguments that we cannot compete with Chelsea financially that's get thrown around here a bit.

Abromovich was one of the major players in pushing through FFP.

Wage bill isn't a whole lot bigger than ours and revenues are fairly similar.

That's because it makes sense for the establishment. I'm not surprised all the big clubs love the idea. It protects them.

Another City or Chelsea cant happen if proper FFP comes in. City and Chelsea have already spent their millions and made their clubs a global brand. They will have the income to keep spending but some random Asian fellow took over Scunthorpe, he wouldn't be able to do what they did.

arsenal & tottenham + liverpool & man u are/were/did really push fair play with in the PL too - a quartet of strange bedfellows, well for the fans at least :pac:

i don't think the oil clubs were in favour of it all

Kirby wrote: »
    That's because it makes sense for the establishment. I'm not surprised all the big clubs love the idea. It protects them.

Another City or Chelsea cant happen if proper FFP comes in. City and Chelsea have already spent their millions and made their clubs a global brand. They will have the income to keep spending but some random Asian fellow took over Scunthorpe, he wouldn't be able to do what they did.

Yea it's fairly obvious why Abromovich was one of the first and main people in trying to push it through.

But it does go to show that there not operating on a whole other planet in terms of finances as it is often portrayed.

That said PSG helped them massively this summer.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    arsenal & tottenham + liverpool & man u are/were/did really push fair play with in the PL too - a quartet of strange bedfellows, well for the fans at least :pac:

i don't think the oil clubs were in favour of it all

Abromovich was a major player in getting it pushed through from what I've read.

Abromovich was a major player in getting it pushed through from what I've read.

could've been & lumping them in with the others.
    city voted against the ones for the premier league anyway

here's an article on the PL ones, which limit losses & the amount of TV money that can be spent on wages.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2274957/Financial-Fair-Play-Premier-League-agree-financial-cap-clubs-face-points-deduction.html
    Six clubs — Southampton, Swansea, Manchester City, Fulham, West Brom and Aston Villa — voted against but Reading abstained, meaning the two-thirds majority was enough to carry the proposal.

Chelsea, whose owner Roman Abramovich has subsidised the Stamford Bridge silverware to the tune of £1bn, had been one of the refuseniks but switched sides on the eve of the meeting.

• Advertisement

Yea it's fairly obvious why Abromovich was one of the first and main people in trying to push it through.

But it does go to show that there not operating on a whole other planet in terms of finances as it is often portrayed.

That said PSG helped them massively this summer.
    He would be, Chelsea had been well shored up by then.
    These figures again show that either there's malice or ineptitude in running the club.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement