Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ozil in his proper position has been very good.
    Ox doing well too as is Welbeck.

Hope you keep playing him there and not just cos itl piss me off if villa are the only side he shows his skills as a 10 against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Arsenal must have a got a right good rollicking after last Tue.
    Pressing defenders and huge workrate today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Possibly controversial but I'd like to see Ox and Sanchez on the wings until Walcott is back, Ox can be a bit raw but his work rate is brilliant and I think its really worth giving him game time as he could become an incredible player. I prefer seeing us play wingers rather than extra playmakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Chambers very lucky not to be off.. And we have no defenders on the bench... Why?? Fcuk knows

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I'd love to see Rosicky get a solid halve hour now.

Would like to see Diaby too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

3-0 up, why are we not resting players?! Nice to get an away win after an away European game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

second half very boring but the job done.
    Very good win in 3 mad minutes. Great to see Welbeck off the mark and an assist for Ozil too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

That was just what we needed. Goal and assist each for Ozil and Welbeck, a clean sheet, Alexis got a rest, and not new injuries that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ozil motm

All is well in the world again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Yeah great result, just a bit disappointed we decided to settle for 3 when there's a lot of players who could do with a few goals or at least practice our shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Thats the real Ozil. Hopefully Arsene will learn from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yeah great result, just a bit disappointed we decided to settle for 3 when there's a lot of players who could do with a few goals or at least practice our shooting.

Happen to remember a lot of matches in the early 2000s when we would go 2-0, 3-0 up after half and hour and pass the ball around at a slow pace for the rest of the game, just killing it off.

Really delighted to see that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

no point in overstretching it and risk unnecessary injuries.
    And in any case, Villa wasn't interested at all in the second half.

3 points, a good performance and no injuries, happy days!

Rhetoric questions: why did he wait until the 78th minute for the changes? And why not Diaby? No better opportunity than this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Godge wrote: »
    Happen to remember a lot of matches in the early 2000s when we would go 2-0, 3-0 up after half and hour and pass the ball around at a slow pace for the rest of the game, just killing it off.

Really delighted to see that again.

I remember a lot of games where we'd go 2-0, 3-0 up and then win by 6 or 7! Will take todays result and the manner of it all day long though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Had a match today only caught from 60 minutes forward... how did Ozil do?

• Advertisement

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Had a match today only caught from 60 minutes forward... how did Ozil do?

one goal, one assist.
    Played centrally and he was brilliant.
    Hopefully Wenger will remember that for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

No love for Cazorla

Thought he was brilliant today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Ozil shouldn't be on the pitch without a proper striker in front of him. He made his name feeding Ronaldo and Giroud is too slow to play striker.

Welbeck is a breath of fresh air because it's about time we had a real striker at the club. I really hope him and Ozil can gel together this season, like they did today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Anybody know whats the story with campbell??

Watched a lot of him at olympiakos and im adamant that he'll be a great player for us when given his chance, todays game woulda been a perfect scenario for him.

Delighted for welbeck, played great today, sanogo should be kept well clear of any of our league games in my opinion, has a long way to come before being picked over danny.

I know Ramsey wasnt the best today but he is so important to this team. He gives way more balance than Wilshere would. Arteta-Ramsey-Ozil is our best combination in the middle and all work well together. Stick with them even if Ramsey is out of form. Arteta though looked terrible again today but he is our best option sadly.

• Advertisement

Prior to today off the ball he's been great and in front of goal been dreadful. If he works on his finishing and starts banging in a few more he'll be great. If the finishing continues to be poor with the odd goal i'll be very disappointed.

I do think though that Welbeck is starved of good ball. They need to be getting that ball into him sooner. The media of course gave him a hard time and over analysed him the last two games over his finishing but the fact is he is not getting the service he should be and their reaction to Van Gaal's remarks were outrageous and totally OTT. He's a young player who is hardworking and will only get better but the midfielders need to be picking him out sooner as he is making some excellent runs.

What i really liked to see today is that positional switch between himself and Ozil for the first goal where he assumed the number 10 role for the assist and Ozil assumed the number 9 role. That type of movement is absolutely paramount to any attack in any sport. With Walcott back soon its hard not to be optimistic. Its keeping that back door shut is my real concern.

Wenger should play two defensive midfield players against Chelsea and nail them on the break. Could be a great game for Jack to answer alot of questions. There will be huge emphasis on Wingers tracking back in that game and the defending from set pieces really needs to be sorted and Terry and Ivanovic wont need to be asked twice if they want to bury a free header.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Wenger needs to bench either Wilshere or Ramsey. I vote Ramsey on his form, it's not great.

Ozil needs to play centrally and Cazorla should be given as much game time as possible, in very good form.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Thats the real Ozil. Hopefully Arsene will learn from that.

Yep i think play him centrally or not at all. Problem is that both Cazorla and Ramsey are also more comfortable in that position too and while its a nice dilemma to have, you'd wonder if we can keep all three happy long term?

Do you think perhaps Wenger might be waiting to get Khedira on a free next summer? I know we need a one now but with Coquelin and Diaby still on the books, perhaps our hands were a little tied in that department?

To not buy an extra defender during the window though is inexcusable.

This win should be celebrated and rightly so, of course we still have the old issues to work on. And I'd fancy us v Spurs at home. And it's off topic and I don't usually say things like this, but seeing Liverpool struggle here is giving me quite a lot of pleasure. Tables have turned on my Liverpool supporting housemate who had been smugly mouthing off all week

This win should be celebrated and rightly so, of course we still have the old issues to work on. And I'd fancy us v Spurs at home. And it's off topic and I don't usually say things like this, but seeing Liverpool struggle here is giving me quite a lot of pleasure. Tables have turned on my Liverpool supporting housemate who had been smugly mouthing off all week

Lots of points to be lost again this year.
    Though I think tomorrow's derby at Manchester is of great significance. If Chelsea get away with 3 points, they make a big statement.

Yep i think play him centrally or not at all. Problem is that both Cazorla and Ramsey are also more comfortable in that position too and while its a nice dilemma to have, you'd wonder if we can keep all three happy long term?

Do you think perhaps Wenger might be waiting to get Khedira on a free next summer? I know we need a one now but with Coquelin and Diaby still on the books, perhaps our hands were a little tied in that department?

To not buy an extra defender during the window though is inexcusable.

Agreed, we are wasting him out the wing. Just feel Arsene was forced into it with Wilshere not being fully fit rather than wanting to do it. Hopefully im wrong. I feel Ramseys best position is box to box in the two and Ozil and santi can rotate, thats what all the top teams do. Yes I get that Feeling about Khedira too but dont know is it worth it. A year older and another injury already. Artetas contract up too next year. Yup was very worried with Chambers on the yellow today, one injury away from massive trouble now. Monreals injury doesnt sound too good.

Liverpool and their fans have really got a bee in their bonnet over Arsenal lodging the bid for Suarez and yet what they don't seem to remember is that it was their own owner JW Henry who broke the news on twitter in order to spark a bidding war just like the Auctioneer telling the room there is a reserve to be met.

He completely slipped my mind and I haven't seen his name mentioned here much but why haven't we recalled Jenkinson from his loan? We need him. It's as simple as that

The best thing sbout ozil Central is he comes deep for the ball

When arteta is marked ozil comes deep to collect it, I likes that

He completely slipped my mind as haven't seen his name mentioned here much but why have we bot recalled Jenkinson from his loan? We need him. It's as simple as that

Dont think we can recall him until the market opens back up. Read that somewhere.

• Advertisement

Yep agreed and we can forget about expecting him to make 70 yard lung bursters to track back for the full back. He is not up to that and its a waste really. Play him centrally. Less ground and makes the opposition that bit warier about going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Jenks has a winning debut, good to see him with a smile on his face :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah I mentioned it in the match thread that it gives him the freedom to come looking for the ball rather than having to wait for it to come to him on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ozil should be allowed a free role to go wherever he wants.
    Let him express himself.
    I wonder will Wenger reinstate Jack alongside Ramsey next week and put Ozil back out on the left?
    Was Ozil's role today forced on Wenger or has he seen the light?
    Next week will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

No love for Cazorla

Thought he was brilliant today

Actually thought he was the unsung hero. Huge work rate, always available. Class. Love the guy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A city win would be no harm tomorrow imo. Draw would be good too but Chelsea need to be reigned in whereas City look more likely to drop points elsewhere at the moment (having said that they started last season like that too and won the title).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

You do know it's their year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Good performance much needed.

Really want a city win so if nothing else the only team that can match the invincibles is us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Godge wrote: »
    You do know it's their year:)

Don't draw them in here!

• Advertisement

'Lazy' Mesut Özil covered more ground than any other Arsenal player today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

'Lazy' Mesut Özil covered more ground than any other Arsenal player today.
    Good stuff.

When he starts doing it away to the likes of Dortmund it will be great.

K4t wrote: »
    Good stuff.

When he starts doing it away to the likes of Dortmund it will be great.

So we turn on him when he plays bad but can't praise him when he plays well

Up them steps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's funny seeing another teams thread going into meltdown for a change.

Same excuses;
    Poor players
    Drop players
    Managers tactics
    X player should never play for the club again

Up them steps

Human nature.
    For many people it's easier to criticize than praise.
    I reckon certain fans won't "appear" in our thread for the next couple of days.

Edit: I am the exact opposite obviously, I don't "appear" when things go bad, enough negativity as it is and bad timing for my "half-full glass"

Up them steps

For me he played his position today and made his point to Arsene..... over to you now Arsene

• Advertisement

Up them steps
    Never said that and never turned on him.

Just saying he should maintain that work ethic in every game, not just the straightfoward ones like today. He needs to kick on from here and take that kind of form and mentality into the big games which would be great for Arsenal.

If Welbeck does decent until December, is he our main striker? Id say Ozil would rather play with him.

Raf32 wrote: »
    If Welbeck does decent until December, is he our main striker? Id say Ozil would rather play with him.

I really like him up there I know it's early days but he seems to suit us he makes us look more of a threat.

Early doors but signs are very promising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Soups123 wrote: »
    For me he played his position today and made his point to Arsene..... over to you now Arsene

It's a tricky one cause Wilshire is there too and I don't think Wilshire is nearly as good in the Ramsey position.

Good point on arseblog the other day about Ozil. He's smart enough to pick up some stuff about playing wide. It might not be his optimal position but in the last couple of games he could find himself left, right or central with the ball at his feet and he's done very poorly.

Basically while positioning would have an impact on his overall game, when Ozil finds himself in space on a football pitch with players open it doesn't really matter where on the pitch he's standing. We expect him to find a man or not lose the ball in those situations.

I mean before the goal, Ozil found Ramsey with a fantastic pass from the right. He wasn't doing that last week.

I am über-delighted for him though. I just had the biggest smile in my ace after those first two goals.

Even without goals, Welbeck offers so much to the team through his work rate and link up play (just compare to Balotelli's performance for Pool at West Ham tonight.) Combine the scoring (and assist) with the work rate and you have a phenomenal player.

It's obvious to anyone who followed Welbeck for the last few years that he has the potential to be top class. And he is going to prove that week in week out now for you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement