Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Wenger changed to 4-1-4-1, cause he thinks it will give us a better chance in the big games And we will be more compact

So far it hasn't worked, but we had a short pre season and were only a few games in

I dont think we're finished with this formation yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

K4t wrote: »
    Even without goals, Welbeck offers so much to the team through his work rate and link up play (just compare to Balotelli's performance for Pool at West Ham tonight.) Combine the scoring (and assist) with the work rate and you have a phenomenal player.

The only box he doesn't tick for most people is his finishing. A lot of United fans think it's just a consistentcy thing.

By Xmas if he stays fit we'll know for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Wenger changed to 4-1-4-1, cause he thinks it will give us a better chance in the big games And we will be more compact

So far it hasn't worked, but we had a short pre season and were only a few games in

I dont think we're finished with this formation yet

I dont mind it for the big away games but 4-2-3-1 is our bread and butter. Would play it against 16 teams in the league, it fits all our best players into their best positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Soups123 wrote: »
    The only box he doesn't tick for most people is his finishing. A lot of United fans think it's just a consistentcy thing.

By Xmas if he stays fit we'll know for sure
    If he stays fit, he's going to score 10-15 goals before Xmas and 15+ league goals this season. You can quote me on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Happy enough with that today.
    A few little issues but I will remain positive.
    Nice to see players happy and comfortable in their positions.
    We have to push on now.
    Two London derbies ahead and confidence up.

Happy enough with that today.
    A few little issues but I will remain positive.
    Nice to see players happy and comfortable in their positions.
    We have to push on now.
    Two London derbies ahead and confidence up.

Biggest issue have to be how slow we are when teams break, were too slow

And I counted 4 free headers from set pieces

What's that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Biggest issue have to be how slow we are when teams break, were too slow

And I counted 4 free headers from set pieces

What's that about?

Yes. I said that the other day. Also we're still keeping too high a line. Even saw Mert in the Villa half twice today. Have issues with Gibbs positioning too and his marking. He made some silly mistakes but Chez saved his blushes.

Anyway great to get the win but still a work in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I've always been a backer of Giroud.

However, I will admit that it's feckin awesome having a striker who can beat someone in a foot race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Yep i think play him centrally or not at all. Problem is that both Cazorla and Ramsey are also more comfortable in that position too and while its a nice dilemma to have, you'd wonder if we can keep all three happy long term?

This is why we did not get fabregas. He would have made the central role issue more of a headach

Yes. I said that the other day. Also we're still keeping too high a line. Even saw Mert in the Villa half twice today. Have issues with Gibbs positioning too and his marking. He made some silly mistakes but Chez saved his blushes.

Anyway great to get the win but still a work in progress.

Second this. It also could have been very different but for some awesome goalkeeping from Szcz. For the stick he sometimes gets, he is really good at actually saving the ball.

I think all his mistakes come from being a young goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Chambers is already on 3 yellow cards in the Premiership. 2 more and he's adding to our squad depth problems.

This is why we did not get fabregas. He would have made the central role issue more of a headach

Fair point. Jesus when you think of all of the time he was played out on that wing its some waste really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Just seeing the match now. Great ball from Özil for the second.

Our set piece defending is as bad as its ever been though. I'm wondering has training for the new formation taking precedence over defensive training while we get up to speed?

Villa had 3 chances from set pieces. All good chances too. Need to sort that out

Chambers is already on 3 yellow cards in the Premiership. 2 more and he's adding to our squad depth problems.

That's why its vital for the wingers to track back the next few games. Luckily those three quick goals knocked the sting out of Villa because Agbonlahor smelt blood after Chambers booking and id blame the winger more for leaving Agbonlahor in a one on one situation with Chambers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He could have signed Fabregas, a better player than anyone at Arsenal, and worried about the headache later.

JPA wrote: »
    He could have signed Fabregas, a better player than anyone at Arsenal, and worried about the headache later.

Please stop

Just stop

Pain in my hole with this ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Wenger is not Perez or Van Gaal.

So I've watched the match , the sky game of the day version and the MOTD highlights and it is 1000000% obvious we need the play Ozil central that is the world class player we signed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I think we really need to play both Ozil and Cazorla. And that means that when Walcott returns, to fit both him and Alexis in the team we need to play one of them up front. Probably Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think we really need to play both Ozil and Cazorla. And that means that when Walcott returns, to fit both him and Alexis in the team we need to play one of them up front. Probably Walcott.

I reckon Wenger will take it easy with Walcott. Probably 15-20 minutes for the first few weeks.
    Very curious to see how we will show up for the next two games. I would expect something similar like today for the NLD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

The over/under I set meant I though 50/50 for either, I'm not letting you call it. :pac:

Where would you be happy to set it for the season? Say 20 quid for Aware?

EDIT: I'll take Under 12.5 if that'll do?

Only just saw this. You're on.

If you want to discount today, that is fair enough.

You can't lose this bet though. Welbeck fails and scores only a few, I donate the money, or else, Welbeck succeeds and Arsenal have a good season and you won't mind donating the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

So I've watched the match , the sky game of the day version and the MOTD highlights and it is 1000000% obvious we need the play Ozil central that is the world class player we signed

He'll probably ruin Ramsey now and lob him on the wing for a few months!

Godge wrote: »

You can't lose this bet though. Welbeck fails and scores only a few, I donate the money, or else, Welbeck succeeds and Arsenal have a good season and you won't mind donating the money.
    Well if you want to do head-to-head then fair enough, thought charity would be better like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Did anyone hear wengers interview with bbc after the game? Basically when asked about Ozil and his best position being through the centre he basicall said

1. Well he won the World Cup playing on the flank
    2. He started life as a winger
    3. Even wen we play him as a winger we give him the freedom to come in the middle
    4. Ozil himself thinks it's his best position but there are 10 others in the squad who think the same of themselves

Odd response. I know he didn't want to be drawn and concede he shouldn't start in the centre, but I thought his answer was a bit strange. If Sanchez and Jack were there would Mesut have played centrally? Who knows. It was great to see him show what he can do. Wenger has to realise and design the midfield to accommodate Ozil, still out best ad key player in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Did anyone hear wengers interview with bbc after the game? Basically when asked about Ozil and his best position being through the centre he basicall said

1. Well he won the World Cup playing on the flank
    2. He started life as a winger
    3. Even wen we play him as a winger we give him the freedom to come in the middle
    4. Ozil himself thinks it's his best position but there are 10 others in the squad who think the same of themselves

Odd response. I know he didn't want to be drawn and concede he shouldn't start in the centre, but I thought his answer was a bit strange. If Sanchez and Jack were there would Mesut have played centrally? Who knows. It was great to see him show what he can do. Wenger has to realise and design the midfield to accommodate Ozil, still out best ad key player in my opinion.

sounds like wenger is saying he's the boss and he'll play players where he wants and not where they want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Oranage2 wrote: »
    sounds like wenger is saying he's the boss and he'll play players where he wants and not where they want to play.
    He also said

I adapted a bit game by game. There is a little difference but not a major one. Ozil played today behind their midfield because I thought they made it very tight. But it’s important for us to find Ozil between the lines and move the game forward. It worked, but he can play everywhere.

Hes not against playing him centrally. People have been calling for him to change tactics from game to game. Thats what he says he is doing

He also said

I adapted a bit game by game. There is a little difference but not a major one. Ozil played today behind their midfield because I thought they made it very tight. But it’s important for us to find Ozil between the lines and move the game forward. It worked, but he can play everywhere.

Hes not against playing him centrally. People have been calling for him to change tactics from game to game. Thats what he says he is doing

Exactly
    I'm not a fan of 4-1-4-1 cause frankly at the moment it's not working, but should we start to look more solid with it it will be another option
    A least we can switch from game to game or even during the game

anyone see see cesc's interview

Practically crying that wenger don't talk to him anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

anyone see see cesc's interview

Practically crying that wenger don't talk to him anymore

Link?

Sounds interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Exactly
    I'm not a fan of 4-1-4-1 cause frankly at the moment it's not working, but should we start to look more solid with it it will be another option
    A least we can switch from game to game or even during the game

4141 makes more sense against the big sides, I think 4231 should be our formation against everyone outside of the top 6, and potentially even against the top 6 when its a home game.

I'm not so worried about Welbeck's finishing if his all round game is as good as it was yesterday.

He might miss a few but he'll create a lot of chances for people that score.

If we manage a couple of decent results against Spurs and Chelsea, we can hopefully hit form coming into a run of friendlier games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

AdamD wrote: »
    4141 makes more sense against the big sides, I think 4231 should be our formation against everyone outside of the top 6, and potentially even against the top 6 when its a home game.

What's the thinking behind 4-1-4-1? Is it the forward 4,can press very high up the pitch? Doesn't work against the better sides and then there's a huge gap between them and arteta

Godge wrote: »

Nah we can include yesterday. It's not win-win for me though, have you got any idea how much I hate being wrong? :P

Anyway, on yesterday. Happy enough with the result but there were still a few things about the performance I wasn't enamoured with. The pacy attacks for the goals almost seemed to happen by accident rather than by design. Good to see attackers move around quickly though, been crying out for it for quite a while.

Anyway, Chelsea loss today would leave us the only unbeaten team in the league. :P

Button your posts have been very readable and a lot less negative since you got your rocks on that date last week.

For the love of god keep up the ridin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Anyway, on yesterday. Happy enough with the result but there were still a few things about the performance I wasn't enamoured with. The pacy attacks for the goals almost seemed to happen by accident rather than by design. Good to see attackers move around quickly though, been crying out for it for quite a while.

Anyway, Chelsea loss today would leave us the only unbeaten team in the league. :P

I was thinking the same as yourself about the goals seeming to be by accident rather than design. Although we definitely controlled the game and were good value for our win, it seemed like we caught Villa sleeping for those few minutes and if we didn't, a scoreless draw could have been on the cards. Wenger did say though that we took the foot off the pedal for the second half.

Button your posts have been very readable and a lot less negative since you got your rocks on that date last week.

For the love of god keep up the ridin :)
    If you think I'm in a good mood wait til I actually get the ride. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dorgasm wrote: »
    I was thinking the same as yourself about the goals seeming to be by accident rather than design. Although we definitely controlled the game and were good value for our win, it seemed like we caught Villa sleeping for those few minutes and if we didn't, a scoreless draw could have been on the cards. Wenger did say though that we took the foot off the pedal for the second half.

Surely we would have attacked with much more vigour had we not been 3 goals ahead, Foot seriously taken off the pedal in the 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Spurs beaten at home by West Brom who were bottom of the league
    United throw away a 2 goal lead and are 5 - 3 down to Leicester deep in stoppage time.

Football is bonkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

this gameweek just gets better with each match. . .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wonga77 wrote: »
    Spurs beaten at home by West Brom who were bottom of the league
    United throw away a 2 goal lead and are 5 - 3 down to Leicester deep in stoppage time.

Football is bonkers

Wow watching United didn't realise Spurs lost - more or less a perfect weekend. As long as Chelsea don't win now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

What a fantastic response from Leicester, great performance

He he he :D Great weekend so far lads. Now hopefully a goalfest at Eastlands that ends in a draw or at least a City win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just need a City win or a draw now to cap a great weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I don't know why, but actually feel sorry for United.....

this only goes to show what a great job Monsieur Wenger is doing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

greendom wrote: »
    Wow watching United didn't realise Spurs lost - more or less a perfect weekend. As long as Chelsea don't win now..

I really think this is the year Everton will finish 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

wonga77 wrote: »

Should concentrate on his own performances before giving a LOL!

• Advertisement

If Chelsea don't win, this will have been a good weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement