Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Ah just out of bed to see Utd got beaten at Leicester. Simple pleasures are the sweetest in life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ah just out of bed to see Utd got beaten at Leicester. Simple pleasures are the sweetest in life

Enjoyed the Spurs defeat more myself.

Nice little kick in the balls ahead of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I enjoyed the liverpool result the best

Still bitter over a few of there fans and there carry on in here last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Chelsea take the lead, hopefully city can pull one back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Second place is anyones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Raf32 wrote: »
    Second place is anyones.

Or first ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

LAMPARD lol

Soups123 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Spurs defeat more myself.

Nice little kick in the balls ahead of next week

Jesus, Spurs are such a non-entity i didnt even check their result! at home to WBA! Brilliant.. We should batter them next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gosplan wrote: »
    If Chelsea don't win, this will have been a good weekend.

This has been a good weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Kerry are All Ireland champs, this has been an epic weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

wonga77 wrote: »
    Kerry are All Ireland champs, this has been an epic weekend!

Ah couldn't have it all I suppose! Didn't want Donegal to win either so well done Kerry (through gritted teeth)

Even Everton lost at home. Crazy results and all in our favour for once.

Good weekend for us all in.. Very confident for the Spurs game.. Any word on Walcott?? Read before he was due to be back by this match, maybe he will feature midweek in The League Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Everton lost too.

Have to say: I can't wait to go into office tomorrow for some friendly bunter towards the Man Utd fans/colleagues.

The things I've heard the day we signed Welbeck was unreal. Most popular punchline was "we have some more where Welbeck came from".

Maybe I could go and ask for a defender since we need one or two and they have some to spare. . . oh, wait. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What a great weekend for us :)

Jaysus at this rate even Buttonftw will be positive :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Everton lost too.

Have to say: I can't wait to go into office tomorrow for some friendly bunter towards the Man Utd fans/colleagues.

The things I've heard the day we signed Welbeck was unreal. Most popular punchline was "we have some more where Welbeck came from".

Maybe I could go and ask for a defender since we need one or two and they have some to spare. . . oh, wait. . .
    Welbeck has actually proved to be a great tool for me in football debates.

I can immediately confirm that someone knows next to nothing about football (includes a lot of Utd fans unsurprisingly) when they do not rate Welbeck at all and compare him to Heskey etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

All the Pool v Man U slagging stuff is really annoying though. You can't really go anywhere on the forum any more.

The gas thing is they both look way off the pace.

gandalf wrote: »
    What a great weekend for us :)

Jaysus at this rate even Buttonftw will be positive :P

Not sure. In another thread he posted something along the lines of:

"Two shots on target. Three goals. Not good enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Arsenal website down for anyone else?

Didnt get to watch the game Saturday and mad to watch it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Good weekend for us all in.. Very confident for the Spurs game.. Any word on Walcott?? Read before he was due to be back by this match, maybe he will feature midweek in The League Cup

Don't think so. Due to play a couple of U21 games before he plays for the first team. Still a while away I would have thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

greendom wrote: »
    Don't think so. Due to play a couple of U21 games before he plays for the first team. Still a while away I would have thought

Think Walcott himself laughed off the suggestion of him being fit for the Spurs game.

Brilliant weekend for us.

Love the fact Chelsea drew might quiet down some of the hyperbole of them running away with the league for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Think Walcott himself laughed off the suggestion of him being fit for the Spurs game.

Brilliant weekend for us.

Love the fact Chelsea drew might quiet down some of the hyperbole of them running away with the league for a bit.

Most of that hyperboil has come from others than Chelsea fans.

Anyway even had we won it wouldnt have meant much in the 3rd week of September.

Are we favourites.....maybe, but its still very early to be signing praises for teams when most havent hit top form or found their rhythm yet.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Most of that hyperboil has come from others than Chelsea fans.

Anyway even had we won it wouldnt have meant much in the 3rd week of September.

Are we favourites.....maybe, but its still very early to be signing praises for teams when most havent hit top form or found their rhythm yet.

Oh it sure did I can't think of any Chelsea fans who said mostly opposition fans.

Exactly Chelsea yet may win it but way to early to be writing off teams or saying any team is hands down to win the league.

Oh it sure did I can't think of any Chelsea fans who said mostly opposition fans.

Exactly Chelsea yet may win it but way to early to be writing off teams or saying any team is hands down to win the league.

100% , theres no trophies handed out for your first couple of games, even if ya blitz the league early.

Weve got 3 really tough games coming up in our next 6 league games that will tell a lot of our title aspirations.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

100% , theres no trophies handed out for your first couple of games, even if ya blitz the league early.

Weve got 3 really tough games coming up in our next 6 league games that will tell a lot of our title aspirations.

Yeah, as nice as it was being called the "team that spent the longest at the top" last year, I'd have preferred to just have won the league, to be honest.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, as nice as it was being called the "team that spent the longest at the top" last year, I'd have preferred to just have won the league, to be honest.

Ya, id take a weekend at top at the end of May over months at the start. Everyone is the same. Its a long slog anyway plenty of ups and downs and good and bad performances from the 20teams.

Wonder when the last time was that none of City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool or Spurs could muster a win between them, and we did ?

Can't wait for MOTD2. You have to enjoy these moments when they happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Well done Arsenal, made for a great weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

gosplan wrote: »
    All the Pool v Man U slagging stuff is really annoying though. You can't really go anywhere on the forum any more.

The gas thing is they both look way off the pace.

It will be even funnier if the highlight of their seasons turns out to be that pre-season cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Watching this now again. United's defence really was completely all over the place. Wouldn't have minded playing them sooner before they get a chance to sort things out a bit, although knowing us I'd imagine we'd still manage to lose and not score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL Lampard looked like he was going to throw up after scoring that goal against Chelsea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Swiss Ramble have gone through the Arsenal finances with a fine tooth comb, and it's an amazing read for anyone interested in the business side of things.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

What a weekend. great results for arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Suddenly our result against Leicester doesn't look so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

New Swiss Ramble article
    http://swissramble.blogspot.ch/2014/09/arsenal-money-changes-everything.html

"Enough of the profit and loss account, the main financial topic on the lips of Arsenal fans these days is that huge cash balance. Guess what? It’s gone up again, rising another £55 million in the last 12 months from £153 million to £208 million. For some reason the club’s headline statement insists on reporting this as net of debt service reserves of £35 million, giving the widely reported figure of £173 million, but the actual cash balance is indeed north of £200 million.

To place that into context, the next highest cash balances in the Premier League in the 2012/13 season were Manchester United £94 million, Chelsea £26 million and Southampton £14 million. Since then, United’s 2013/14 balance has come down to £66 million, so Arsenal’s cash balance really is in a class of its own, over three times as much as the next highest figure."

New DM and CB in January please Wenger :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Suddenly our result against Leicester doesn't look so bad.

Leicester at home will shock a few people. They are a bullying and hard biting side. Plus they got a one or two good results away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Wonder when the last time was that none of City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool or Spurs could muster a win between them, and we did ?

Utd lack a proper strong backbone in defensive side, but I think Van Gaal will sort It out by January. But I think Utd will drop plenty of points this season.

Spures and Liverpool are weaker then us, I'll stand by that any day of the weak. Liverpool's whole success last season was thanks to Suarez, I'm glad they are playing bad the fan's cockiness was beyond belief last year they need taking down a little. Spures just scream 7th place to me, mind you we can't get cocky on Saturday we need to make sure we put them to the sword.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Utd lack a proper strong backbone in defensive side, but I think Van Gaal will sort It out by January. But I think Utd will drop plenty of points this season.

Spures and Liverpool are weaker then us, I'll stand by that any day of the weak. Liverpool's whole success last season was thanks to Suarez, I'm glad they are playing bad the fan's cockiness was beyond belief last year they need taking down a little. Spures just scream 7th place to me, mind you we can't get cocky on Saturday we need to make sure we put them to the sword.

We've have our own issues re defence but allowing Evra, Ferdinand and Vidic to leave in the same window and not sign adequate replacements ( not convinced with Shaw or Rojo) seems like madness

New Swiss Ramble article

"Enough of the profit and loss account, the main financial topic on the lips of Arsenal fans these days is that huge cash balance. Guess what? It’s gone up again, rising another £55 million in the last 12 months from £153 million to £208 million. For some reason the club’s headline statement insists on reporting this as net of debt service reserves of £35 million, giving the widely reported figure of £173 million, but the actual cash balance is indeed north of £200 million.

To place that into context, the next highest cash balances in the Premier League in the 2012/13 season were Manchester United £94 million, Chelsea £26 million and Southampton £14 million. Since then, United’s 2013/14 balance has come down to £66 million, so Arsenal’s cash balance really is in a class of its own, over three times as much as the next highest figure."

I've seen "Arsenals Cash Pile" thrown around for the last few years, and it always seemed to be a bit weird to me that most fans would want their club to spend all their operating money in one transfer window.

To quote the Swiss Ramble article that you refer to:
    Of course, this figure is a bit misleading and not all of this cash balance is available to spend on transfers. In fact, this is so important that I’m going to say it again: not all of the £208 million cash is a transfer fund.

This is due to many factors, including the fact that most season ticket renewals are paid in April and May, so Arsenal’s cash balance will always be at its highest when its annual accounts are prepared, namely 31 May.

And then:
    there’s that annoying debt service reserve

Followed by:
    The club also has to pay a good proportion of its annual running expenses out of this cash, though other money will flow into the club during the course of the season

and the final one I'll quote:
    However, there are a couple of reasons why we still need to be cautious with the cash figure. First, the club clearly stated that the cash impact of the £64 million invested in new players during the accounts period has been partially offset by the credit terms agreed with the vendor clubs. In other words, Arsenal have not paid all the cash upfront, but (sensibly) agreed stage payments, so part of the cash balance has to be reserved to pay sums due on those transfers. This is reflected in the £53 million increase in creditors falling due within one year from £150 million to £203 million.

Similarly, as these accounts were closed on 31 May, that means that they do not take into consideration this summer’s transfer activity, so another £50-60 million should be deducted from the reported cash balance.

Not having a go at what you quoted, the fact is that Arsenal have a larger pile of cash than any other team, and I really wish that they splashed the cash to fix our defensive problems, but I just see so much wrong information or information condensed into soundbites out there that I had to balance your post out.

Still can't figure out why Arsenal didn't bring in any defensive cover.

New Swiss Ramble article

Spending in January is very hit or miss.

The really top class players wont move in January and those that will, well be Champions League cup tied and will cost an absolute fortune.

Off the top of yere heads, who would ye approach in January that might move that didnt move or wasnt approached in the Summer?

For the record I cant see us doing any incoming business at Chelsea in January, injury permitting of course.

• Advertisement

Spending in January is very hit or miss.

The really top class players wont move in January and those that will, well be Champions League cup tied and will cost an absolute fortune.

Off the top of yere heads, who would ye approach in January that might move that didnt move or wasnt approached in the Summer?

For the record I cant see us doing any incoming business at Chelsea in January, injury permitting of course.

Not to mention, Wenger hates the January sales !

Not to mention, Wenger hates the January sales !

I think everyone does, usually the bigger teams are just sending players out on loan and maybe selling the guys who are surplus to requirements and they only dip into the market if they're really stuck, or worse, think you're buying a gem and you get a Fernando Torres. :o

Is the game on tv tomorrow? Seen the Mercantile are showing it.

Although it's only the Carling Cup I do enjoy the games as its a chance to see some the fringe/youth players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

It's not on any channels i know of but should be easy to stream.

Although it's only the Carling Cup I do enjoy the games as its a chance to see some the fringe/youth players.

Campbell has to get a run out.

I hope Joel Campbell gets to prove his worth tomorrow. I imagine he wishes he was out on loan somewhere.

It's not on any channels i know of but should be easy to stream.

i remember last year in the early rounds of the Capitla 1 it was hard to get any stream for the Chelsea game, I suppose it depends on the opposition and that but I'm sure we palyed Everton one year early and there was no stream available, just internet radio commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

i remember last year in the early rounds of the Capitla 1 it was hard to get any stream for the Chelsea game, I suppose it depends on the opposition and that but I'm sure we palyed Everton one year early and there was no stream available, just internet radio commentary.

Don't worry I'll pm you 2mo night if interested, you just gotta know where to look ;)

Don't worry I'll pm you 2mo night if interested, you just gotta know where to look ;)

We're not on until Wednesday but fire away, it'll be bookmarked. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The trick is to adequately strengthen your team in summer transfer window so you're not scrambling around looking for a fix after one injury.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement