Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We're not on until Wednesday but fire away, it'll be bookmarked. :p

Well i won't promise anything but I've been able to get every Arsenal game this season although Chelsea are pretty low key so they could be hard to find :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Well i won't promise anything but I've been able to get every Arsenal game this season although Chelsea are pretty low key so they could be hard to find :p

We're only around a decade, and we're getting teh back end of the old Blackburn fans, give us time :pac:

keano_afc wrote: »
    The trick is to adequately strengthen your team in summer transfer window so you're not scrambling around looking for a fix after one injury.

Very hard to do when all the big teams are fishing in the same pond as you.

It makes it harder during a World Cup or Euros as players valuations go up a lot on the back of a few good games and you've less time to do business also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

It makes it harder during a World Cup or Euros as players valuations go up a lot on the back of a few good games and you've less time to do business also.

To add to that, I don't Wenger wants to rush and end up with another Djourou, Cygan or Senderos... who'll be a stop gap and hinder the development of his current youngsters

I think he had targets evidently and according to Ornstein he was continuially looking for a DF/DMF that can fill both positions but didn't find it.

Carvahlo could have been the answer but there was a lot of trouble with 3rd party and stuff. I suppose we just don't know whats going on behind closed doors.

Who knows if Hayden starts against Southampton and has a good game he could be given a nod for some smaller profile EPL games and slowly introduced into the squad as a back up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ozil singing Welbecks praises today, looks like a little dig at giroud too even if not intentionally

Also thanks the fans for the support during the tough times, glad he doesn't read this thread:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ozil singing Welbecks praises today, looks like a little dig at giroud too even if not intentionally

Also thanks the fans for the support during the tough times, glad he doesn't read this thread:)

I wonder if his twitter feed is anything like Borini's after a poor game - shocking stuff!

As for Giroud, even he said that he needed another striker to provide support/competition. It's great that we have 2 excellent choices to play up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Other teams seem to manage though mate. Your own manager, for all his faults, saw the areas of your team that needed improving and did it. Plenty of decent centre halves have moved this summer, not all for huge money. If he wanted to strengthen back there he could have.

Other teams seem to manage though mate. Your own manager, for all his faults, saw the areas of your team that needed improving and did it. Plenty of decent centre halves have moved this summer, not all for huge money. If he wanted to strengthen back there he could have.

I agree on that, we stole a march on some teams I'd say with Cesc.

Costa and Luis were probably easier to get due to the link with Atletico and Courtois.

The latest signing we made was Remy, which was weird as he seemed to be passed up on by a couple of teams, definietly Liverpool and maybe Arsenal although I'm not 100% if ye were in for him or not.

We done our best business by selling Luiz and Lukaku and replacing with huge upgrades in Cesc and Costa for simialr money, which is madness really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I still believe that Lukaku will prove tto be a great purchase In the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

We done our best business by selling Luiz and Lukaku

The money ye got for those two was insane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

What ever about the Lukaku fee the Luiz fee was insane and there was something not right there.

I don't know what it is but I just have the feeling something underhand went on, its the only way to explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

AdamD wrote: »
    I still believe that Lukaku will prove tto be a great purchase In the future

28mill is insane cash though. Good finisher. No first touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Especially for David Luiz £ 50 mil :eek:

Soups123 wrote: »
    What ever about the Lukaku fee the Luiz fee was insane and there was something not right there.

I don't know what it is but I just have the feeling something underhand went on, its the only way to explain it

I think you might be on to something if we had signed Cavani for similar money from PSG but we've given them no money in return for any players.

Luiz represented about 25million worth of profit.
    Lukaku was about 16million million worth of profit.

Thats good business but you need clusb mad enough to give ya the money ya want, Apaprentyl, PSG, Barca and Bayern all wanted Luiz so a bidding war ensued, no way his price would have been so much if only one of those clubs were in for him.

Barca probably offered 5million and tried to find claim some Barca DNA in Luiz to push through a cheap deal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Good thing for ye the deal was done before the wc

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Good thing for ye the deal was done before the wc

Stop :o

The deal was reached before the WC but it wasnt confirmed via a medicial until after it.

I thought PSG might find something to pull the plug as for the last 2/3 games of that tournment the whole Brazilian back line was terrible and 3 of them start for PSG, although Maxwell doesnt really count as an international at the WC, but he is Brazilian.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think you might be on to something if we had signed Cavani for similar money from PSG but we've given them no money in return for any players.

Luiz represented about 25million worth of profit.
    Lukaku was about 16million million worth of profit.

Thats good business but you need clusb mad enough to give ya the money ya want, Apaprentyl, PSG, Barca and Bayern all wanted Luiz so a bidding war ensued, no way his price would have been so much if only one of those clubs were in for him.

Barca probably offered 5million and tried to find claim some Barca DNA in Luiz to push through a cheap deal :pac:

I didnt know that part. No matter how many times I think about it I cant see how you ever arrive at €50m for Luiz but I also cant think of who or how it would benefit any sort of underhand deal.

Madness

Soups123 wrote: »
    I didnt know that part. No matter how many times I think about it I cant see how you ever arrive at €50m for Luiz but I also cant think of who or how it would benefit any sort of underhand deal.

Madness

Ya, Barca were tracking him for ages and Bayern became involved too, even those two couldnt compete with PSG who probably just threw in crazy money to make sure he went to them. I know its rich of a guy who follows Chelsea but PSG flaunting the UEFA FFP again this year is madness, they'll never balance their books legally, and these investments by the sheiks in the form of sponsorship that appeared on their balance sheet surely cant continue.

I'd have taken what we paid for Luiz and been happy with it to get double that, reportedly, was out of this world and I thoguht we'd end up with Cavani or Lavezzi to pay back some fo the money but nothing happened.

Weirdly Luiz had no 3rd party owner while at Benfica, I think Ramires did. We got Ramries in the summer and we got Luiz a few months later in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Ya, Barca were tracking him for ages and Bayern became involved too, even those two couldnt compete with PSG who probably just threw in crazy money to make sure he went to them. I know its rich of a guy who follows Chelsea but PSG flaunting the UEFA FFP again this year is madness, they'll never balance their books legally, and these investments by the sheiks in the form of sponsorship that appeared on their balance sheet surely cant continue.

I'd have taken what we paid for Luiz and been happy with it to get double that, reportedly, was out of this world and I thoguht we'd end up with Cavani or Lavezzi to pay back some fo the money but nothing happened.

Weirdly Luiz had no 3rd party owner while at Benfica, I think Ramires did. We got Ramries in the summer and we got Luiz a few months later in January.

What if Chelsea had sold him to a third party for €50m while the third party rents him at €10m per year to PSG.

Income of €50m for Chelsea, expenditure of €10m for PSG with the friendly third party (a Russian Sheik:D) in the middle.

Godge wrote: »
    What if Chelsea had sold him to a third party for €50m while the third party rents him at €10m per year to PSG.

Income of €50m for Chelsea, expenditure of €10m for PSG with the friendly third party (a Russian Sheik:D) in the middle.

A Russian Shiek, now thats some super rich hybrid. :D

Well if the transfer doesnt show up on the PSG accounts for the year 2014 we'll know something is up.

The main thing is we've spent it and PSG can feck off, all sales are final. :cool:

• Advertisement

Debuchy confirmed to be out for 3 months (by Arsenal standards make it 4 months), apparently had a surgery on Friday...

arseblog retweeted
    James Olley ‏@JamesOlley 14m
    Debuchy out for 3 months after ankle surgery on Fri. Wenger: "All went well. It can be a wk earlier or later, but it'll be around 3 mnths."

Recall Jenkinson please, and pick up a centre halve or two in Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Jenkinson can't be recalled until January.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Jenkinson can't be recalled until January.

Why not? Can we not pay West Ham some sort of fee and recall him whenever? Maybe that's just on Fifa :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Why not? Can we not pay West Ham some sort of fee and recall him whenever? Maybe that's just on Fifa :o

Must be just on Fifa. You cannot recall a season-long loan outside the transfer window.

Have to laugh at how often solutions on Fifa pop up as suggestions in real life. Fed up hearing about how such and such a player is so good on Fifa.

From the training pictures, it looks like all the starting 11 v Villa have been given off and won't be involved tomorrow.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140922/arsenal-train-ahead-of-southampton-match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Must be just on Fifa. You cannot recall a season-long loan outside the transfer window.

Have to laugh at how often solutions on Fifa pop up as suggestions in real life. Fed up hearing about how such and such a player is so good on Fifa.

Yep..

But if it says it in Football Manager then its true.. That stuffs practically gospel :pac:

Ah jaysus i didn't go that far, was just saying i thought you could recall whenever but you gotta pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Debuchy confirmed to be out for 3 months (by Arsenal standards make it 4 months), apparently had a surgery on Friday...

arseblog retweeted
    James Olley ‏@JamesOlley 14m
    Debuchy out for 3 months after ankle surgery on Fri. Wenger: "All went well. It can be a wk earlier or later, but it'll be around 3 mnths."

Massive blow that is. Bellerin doesn't look ready yet to do a job there judging by his performance against Dortmund and I would be against playing Chambers there as he is our only bit of cover for Kos and Mert. I would give the right back spot to Flamini for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Massive blow that is. Bellerin doesn't look ready yet to do a job there judging by his performance against Dortmund and I would be against playing Chambers there as he is our only bit of cover for Kos and Mert. I would give the right back spot to Flamini for the time being.

Really can't judge Bellerin on that Dortmund game.

He may or may not be ready but if we were to judge any of our players on that game and that game alone, most would struggle for a game at St Pats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Bit harsh judging him on that match, he wasn't any worse than anyone else that game. I still think we should stick with Chambers though for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

We all remember Flaminis awesome performances as stop gap LB in 06. But 8 years later, i don't fancy the prospect of him being our stop gap RB at all.

That said, we haven't got a lot of options either.

Bit harsh judging him on that match, he wasn't any worse than anyone else that game. I still think we should stick with Chambers though for the most part.

I agree, against Dortmund every one was crap...I think capital one cup is the ideal tie for him to start though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Maybe I am being a bit harsh on the lad, we should have another chance to see how he looks against Southampton tomorrow night. Huge risk involved playing Chambers, if he gets injured our back up centre half is Hayden :eek:

Maybe I am being a bit harsh on the lad, we should have another chance to see how he looks against Southampton tomorrow night. Huge risk involved playing Chambers, if he gets injured our back up centre half is Hayden :eek:

between suspensions and injuries, Hayden is nailed on for game time before January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Never forget

Team for tomorrow
    Ospina
    Bellerin Hayden. Pleggy. Coq
    Flamini. Diaby
    Campbell. Rosicky. Podolski
    Akpom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

What type of team are we expecting to see tomorrow? I suppose it will have to be something like...

Ospina

Bellerin Mert Chambers Gibbs

Flamini Diaby

Rosicky Zelalem Podolski

Akpom

And for those who say wenger doesn't analsis the opposition

"We knew exactly what strengths we would have, we analysed Aston Villa before the game and knew how they would play." Mesut Ozil

• Advertisement

Team for tomorrow
    Ospina
    Bellerin Hayden. Pleggy. Coq
    Flamini. Diaby
    Campbell. Rosicky. Podolski
    Akpom

Good call. Better he gets injured in a league cup game than costing us in the league.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    What type of team are we expecting to see tomorrow? I suppose it will have to be something like...

Ospina

Bellerin Mert Chambers Gibbs

Flamini Diaby

Rosicky Zelalem Podolski

Akpom

Mert, Gibbs and maybe even chambers

Can't play no many important games coming up

Good call. Better he gets injured in a league cup game than costing us in the league.

Harsh man, harsh

What concerned me with Bellerin is that he looked like he was giving it everything and was just not on the same level as other players.

As for Chambers, 3 yellow cards from 3 starts in the league so far. The yellow he got on Saturday was a very stupid one to get. I know it's being negative but I'm not sold on a 19 year old being our 1st back-up for 3 of the 4 defensive positions.

Interesting little thing for me on the average position chalkboard from Saturday was just how crowded our midfield was. Worked well in a match where we were 3-0 up quickly, the interchanging stuff probably won't work quite as well in other matches.

That's a pretty miserable thing to post. I know his record isn't great, but he could be an important player for us, if he could remain uninjured. And yes, I know, it's a big if.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

What a sh1tty view on things.

• Advertisement

What concerned me with Bellerin is that he looked like he was giving it everything and was just not on the same level as other players.

As for Chambers, 3 yellow cards from 3 starts in the league so far. The yellow he got on Saturday was a very stupid one to get. I know it's being negative but I'm not sold on a 19 year old being our 1st back-up for 3 of the 4 defensive positions.

Interesting little thing for me on the average position chalkboard from Saturday was just how crowded our midfield was. Worked well in a match where we were 3-0 up quickly, the interchanging stuff probably won't work quite as well in other matches.

Ya see your still negative but in a constructive way

I like the new button :)

Ya see your still negative but in a constructive way

I like the new button :)
    I'm about the same, everyone else has just cheered up. :pac: Last 16 of CL and 3rd is all we're going to get. :P
    I'm very worried about the defence though, tomorrow needs to be a practice match for benchwarmers.

greendom wrote: »
    That's a pretty miserable thing to post. I know his record isn't great, but he could be an important player for us, if he could remain uninjured. And yes, I know, it's a big if.
    What a sh1tty view on things.

Chap gets injured kicking a ball. We shouldnt be wasting a spot in the first team on him. No room for sentimentality when our squad is paper thin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Chap gets injured kicking a ball. We shouldnt be wasting a spot in the first team on him. No room for sentimentality when our squad is paper thin.

You talking about Giroud?

CatInABox wrote: »
    You talking about Giroud?

no, he gets injured being hit by a ball

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement