Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Soups123 wrote: »
    It's the Carling Cup lads FFS now the trophy monkey is off the back we should have no interest in.

The saved games means more for me

Ffs we won 1 fa cup in 9 long years and now the league cup isn't worth it. I get the worry about more games risks more injuries but a winning mentality is more important. After the highs of a Wembley cup final victory last year I want more of the same, and so should the manager and players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

dorgasm wrote: »
    I'm the same. It's ammo for the media and other fans. Just have to try and take a logical view of things. I'm not going to say we're better off being out of the Capital One cup, but we certainly won't be worse off for being knocked out.

I agree dorgasm, we get a rest midweeks and not a chance of us getting injuries at the back. Sad that some of the unused talent won't get another try. I doubt Wenger will throw Diaby on that many times.

Wait and See tomorrow, Arsenal bottle it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Cheer up looper.

Liverpool play Real Madrid soon.

Well have a smile coming already thanks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Looper007 wrote: »
    One chance in the 2nd half they had. They had far more. We had Internationals out there enough talent on the pitch to cause more trouble then we need. We won't agree on this Soups.

That's fine I've no appetite to debate for the Carling Cup.

It was a poor performance but it's a notch up from playing a friendly.

We played 3 19 yr olds in defence, gave Diaby a game, gave a GK a debut, gave 4 fringe players a start against an inform full strength prem team who needed a peno and cracker from range to beat us!

Suppose there's a little bit if appetite there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Out of curiosity.

Are the people annoyed at the inconsistency annoyed that Wenger made ten changes and started a midfield trio that have never played together?

omega man wrote: »
    Ffs we won 1 fa cup in 9 long years and now the league cup isn't worth it. I get the worry about more games risks more injuries but a winning mentality is more important. After the highs of a Wembley cup final victory last year I want more of the same, and so should the manager and players.

I want more cups too but not Carling Cups. We have the league, FA cup and CL to get through with one fit CFs and 4 first team defenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ffs we won 1 fa cup in 9 long years and now the league cup isn't worth it.

Yes, we should be focussing on getting minimum second in the league.

The Carling cup has NEVER benefitted us. Wenger plays the kids not matter what and that means we can't win it. People say 'oh it's a good run out for them' but I don't think that's based on anything. Baptista scoring 4 at Liverpool is fcuk all use.

Seriously, it's never been of any benefit.

I want more cups too but not Carling Cups. We have the league, FA cup and CL to get through with one fit CFs and 4 first team defenders

Fair enough I get that bigger and better attitude but I hope we don't end up finishing 3rd or 4th in the league with no cups and then see if fans look back with the same contempt for the league cup. I hate losing any match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just home from work so just seen we lost. Pretty disappointed to say the least, how did Ospina and Campbell do lads?

• Advertisement

Fair enough I get that bigger and better attitude but I hope we don't end up finishing 3rd or 4th in the league with no cups and then see if fans look back with the same contempt for the league cup. I hate losing any match!

Tbh if we came 3rd or 4th I wouldn't get any comfort from a Carling Cup.

Sure lets see how the season plays out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Disagree. That's one trophy gone already and it's only September.

It's only September and we already have a trophy :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Once again when a team gets a little tough on us. We crumble.
    We had enough on the field to win that game. Only one clear cut chance in that whole second half, at home. While they had 5 or 6.

Once again Inconsistent=Arsenal

Rosicky was muck all game, didn't look bothered. The Same with Pod.
    Campbell was indifferent. Our defence look like they would let a goal in at most of their attacks. Wilshire tried but it never came off for him. Belerin looks out of his depth.

That's why no one will take us serious as Title Contenders.

Of course this performance wasn't consistent, the majority of the team was made up by players who either haven't played together before, lacked experience or haven't played any games this year!

Having said that, I thought our defence actually did all right all things considered. As people have said, it was the more experienced players with something to prove like Podolski and Rosicky that let us down the most. I would have liked to stay in the cup obviously, even just because I like seeing the youngsters get game time. But it's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Biggest thing I take from tonight is podolski is finished

And Sanchez gives the ball away a lot

Biggest thing I take from tonight is podolski is finished

This thread has finished off about 10 players already this year.

Pod is best used off the bench when a goal is needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

This thread wanted Ramsey sold a couple of years ago :pac:

He is best sold

Not a bit interested

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    This thread wanted Ramsey sold a couple of years ago :pac:

Ramsey was 21 coming back from
    A broken leg, only a fool wouldnt have giving him a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Pod usually gets lots of love on his many, many instagram pics...not tonight :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Tony Adams on Sky sports 1

Proper Legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Didn't see the game so I can't comment on the actual match, but that starting eleven should have been able to get a result tonight.. Complacency? Who knows.. Disappointing.. Sounds like experienced players let us down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

AdamD wrote: »
    We have an awful knack of players who never score, scoring wonder goals against us.

Clyne is one of the most in form defenders in the league and has already scored at Anfield this season tbf to him.
    One chance in the 2nd half they had. They had far more. We had Internationals out there enough talent on the pitch to cause more trouble then we need. We won't agree on this Soups.

This isn't FIFA. Southampton fielded their first team against a team who had never played together before. You get away with that stuff against lower league opposition (usually barely), not against top 10 PL opposition.
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just home from work so just seen we lost. Pretty disappointed to say the least, how did Ospina and Campbell do lads?

Campbell was fairly anonymous but his passing was accurate and was trying to get some things going when he did get a chance to get involved. Ospina made a few good saves. I would argue Shez would have probably got a hand to their second, although nobody pressed Clyne so the problem started there.

Hard to knock the young defenders who got starts, Hayden looks like he could be a prospect, Coquelin can do a job if needs be at LB and Diaby started well and faded, he will hopefully get up to speed over the coming weeks and months.

After watching Liverpool's efforts with a lot of 1st team playing 120 mins. I will be backing Everton to get a result on Saturday. I know which result Everton fans will be more focused, and with our own derby around the corner I feel the same. I wouldn't have chosen to get knocked out, but if the Pool do get beat on Saturday if I was a Liverpool fan I would be a lot angrier at Rodgers than any of us should be at Wenger right now. I guess that's just where the league cup sits in the list of priorities, it's not even as important as one league match.

See wenger talked about trying too transform diaby into a defensive midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Didn't see the game so I can't comment on the actual match, but that starting eleven should have been able to get a result tonight.. Complacency? Who knows.. Disappointing.. Sounds like experienced players let us down

yes, defenders performed really well, considering their age and experience, Diaby did well considering his lack of game time and recovering from injury.

Last night was a real opportunity for Podolski, Rosicky and Campbell to show the fans and Wenger what we were missing and they really failed to deliver. You could put that down to lack of match time but this was a real opportunity for them and they didn't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

What did he say?

Diaby certainly has the physical attributes for it whether or not they can perform a miracle and get him to last a few consecutive games is another thing.

Didn't see last night's game but meh its the carling cup my only disappointment is not getting to see more of the youth fringe players in a cup run.

What did he say?

Diaby certainly has the physical attributes for it whether or not they can perform a miracle and get him to last a few consecutive games is another thing.

Didn't see last night's game but meh its the carling cup my only disappointment is not getting to see more of the youth fringe players in a cup run.

Just after all his injuries IT will be easier for him facing the game

And he has all the attributes for it

I like the idea, let's give him a run out here and there and see can he develop his game

Really really want him to make it either with us or somewhere else

He gets unfair stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

BySWkYTCcAAx5k-.jpg

Full quote from Wenger. It would be fantastic if he stayed fit. There was a passage of play last night where he brushed one of their players away like he was a fly. Have missed someone with that kind of power in midfield.

Transform him into a fit player first before talking DM.

Would love to know how much the lad has earned from arsenal per minute of actually playing time.

Look he is or perhaps was a real talent but how we've afforded him successive contracts despite his injury history baffles me. He may come good and I hope he does but that needs to happen this season otherwise wages are better off being spent on other players.

Edited to remove insensitive wording!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Would love to know how much the lad has milked , er earned, from arsenal per minute of actually playing time.

Look he is or perhaps was a real talent but how we've afforded him successive contracts despite his injury history baffles me. He may come good and I hope he does but that needs to happen this season otherwise wages are better off being spent on other players.

Yeah...Player gets injured and has his career ruined, lets give up on him and let him go...maybe Utd or Real would do that but I'm glad that Arsenal are the type of club that will support him and give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Would love to know how much the lad has milked , er earned, from arsenal per minute of actually playing time.

This is the sort of comment that really bothers me regarding Diaby. Do you think he wants to be out injured the whole time?

Fair enough ask questions about why we've given him so many contracts (and we don't know the full details of them, maybe he gets reduced pay for not playing?). But why make snide comments on the player himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Diaby has refused wages and donated his wages to charity when he has been unfit on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Just after all his injuries IT will be easier for him facing the game

And he has all the attributes for it

I like the idea, let's give him a run out here and there and see can he develop his game

Really really want him to make it either with us or somewhere else

He gets unfair stick

I really like him too, hope he can still make it with us, but the stick he gets is about being injury prone which isn't really that unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This is the sort of comment that really bothers me regarding Diaby. Do you think he wants to be out injured the whole time?

Fair enough ask questions about why we've given him so many contracts (and we don't know the full details of them, maybe he gets reduced pay for not playing?). But why make snide comments on the player himself?
    Even in his prime of fitness I didn't rate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Quazzie wrote: »
    Even in his prime of fitness I didn't rate him.

(wish there was more clips from this match he was sensational)

Always loved him, great dribbler and passer, reminds me of a Yaya like player -

always hated how people thought cause he looked like Viera, he was the same type of player..

very poor post - the lad gave up his wages on several occasions when out injured. I think his persistence to make a go of it is admirable and I really hope he makes it

This post bothers the fcuk out of me

Milked the club ffs

He played 42 games the season before his new contract, he earned his contract

It's not his fault he got injured and as another poster says, I'm delighted we stuck by him and gave him every chance to make a career for himself

Fcuking ridiculous post

greendom wrote: »
    very poor post - the lad gave up his wages on several occasions when out injured. I think his persistence to make a go of it is admirable and I really hope he makes it

I'm looking at it from the club's perspective. He may indeed be admirable but his job is to play football for his club regardless of how nice or decent he is. The club has afforded him every support possible but what I'm saying is this can't continue Indefinitely. You think differently obviously.

I'm looking at it from the club's perspective. He may indeed be admirable but his job is to play football for his club regardless of how nice or decent he is. The club has afforded him every support possible but what I'm saying is this can't continue Indefinitely. You think differently obviously.

What
    How is it we will continue indefiently
    We're honouring a contract we gave him

Fair enough and I'm not saying it should be indefinite - he really needs to get playing a run of games this season or he should seriously considering hanging up his boots before Arsenal end his contract.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

it obvious that AW sees a huge talent in Diaby. I think we'd have lost patience by now if he didn't think there was a chance he'd come good

What
    How is it we will continue indefiently
    We're honouring a contract we gave him

Ok look we have different opinions on the subject. This would be a boring forum if we all had the same views on everything arsenal related.

How many contracts have we given him though? You really want the club to keep renewing his contact because he's a good lad? Not many employers who'd afford an employee that much good will, rightly or wrongly.

Ok look we have different opinions on the subject. This would be a boring forum if we all had the same views on everything arsenal related.

How many contracts have we given him though? You really want the club to keep renewing his contact because he's a good lad? Not many employers who'd afford an employee that much good will, rightly or wrongly.

We gave him a long contract and he has been injured for most of it, we're just honouring it, we're not doing anything special
    His contract is up for renewal in the summer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

We gave him a long contract before he got injured, at a time when he was getting first team games. Since he got injured, he hasn't gotten his contract renewed, and this year is his last year.

The contract would work both ways, if we wanted to drop him, most likely we would have had to pay a massive amount of his due wages anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Laurent Blanc is quoted as saying a fit Abou Diaby would of being the first name on his team sheet when he was in charge of the French national team. A massively talented player who without a doubt would of being a top top player if he wasn't so injury prone.

You have to give the lad massive credit too, the majority of people would of long ago retired, mentally he is a giant in my opinion.

Laurent Blanc is quoted as saying a fit Abou Diaby would of being the first name on his team sheet when he was in charge of the French national team. A massively talented player who without a doubt would of being a top top player if he wasn't so injury prone.

You have to give the lad massive credit too, the majority of people would of long ago retired, mentally he is a giant in my opinion.

The guy had talent no doubt about it. That's not debatable.

Why would he retire if he's getting a circa 60k pw contract though? If he manages to get game time this season wenger may well give him a contract extension but I feel he's done, sadly for him.

However he's a professional footballer who has earned millions of pounds over the years so I suspect he's financially secure. For that reason alone I don't get the high levels of sympathy for him as there are many people out there who've suffered far worse in life and don't have the luxury of his wealth. The reports of him giving up his wages were rumours too and never confirmed, that I know of at least. I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

The guy had talent no doubt about it. That's not debatable.

Why would he retire if he's getting a circa 60k pw contract though? If he manages to get game time this season wenger may well give him a contract extension but I feel he's done, sadly for him.

However he's a professional footballer who has earned millions of pounds over the years so I suspect he's financially secure. For that reason alone I don't get the high levels of sympathy for him as there are many people out there who've suffered far worse in life and don't have the luxury of his wealth. The reports of him giving up his wages were rumours too and never confirmed, that I know of at least. I could be wrong.

Plenty of uninjured players have been paid a lot more and pissed there career away, from the outside it appears Diaby has always been a genuine guy and not being able to play football as much as he could I wouldnt imagine the money gives him any sense or satisfaction or achievement.

I have sympathy for him and theres nothing wrong in that.

Plenty of uninjured players have been paid a lot more and pissed there career away, from the outside it appears Diaby has always been a genuine guy and not being able to play football as much as he could I wouldnt imagine the money gives him any sense or satisfaction or achievement.

I have sympathy for him and theres nothing wrong in that.

no there's nothing wrong with that at all likewise others can have a differing opinion, as I do. It's nothing personal with respect to the player as a person.

Money aint everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He's getting a reported £65,000 a week.

I think he is after getting enough "credit". Time to start paying something off now.

Quazzie wrote: »
    He's getting a reported £65,000 a week.

I think he is after getting enough "credit". Time to start paying something off now.

Part payment down already for the crippling injuries he's had to endure as an Arsenal player

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement