Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I love these quotes from Wenger.. its like hes commenting on another team.

Full quote from Wenger. It would be fantastic if he (Diaby) stayed fit. There was a passage of play last night where he brushed one of their players away like he was a fly. Have missed someone with that kind of power in midfield.'

well why dont you go out and buy one... so ffs.
    When Wanyama was moving on from Celtic , he was ideal, and had shown real ability , shone for Celtic in their CL run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Full quote from Wenger. It would be fantastic if he (Diaby) stayed fit. There was a passage of play last night where he brushed one of their players away like he was a fly. Have missed someone with that kind of power in midfield.'

When Wanyama was moving on from Celtic , he was ideal, and had shown real ability , shone for Celtic in their CL run.

Wanyama can't get a game for Southampton. Even after they sold all their midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

BySWkYTCcAAx5k-.jpg

Full quote from Wenger. It would be fantastic if he stayed fit. There was a passage of play last night where he brushed one of their players away like he was a fly. Have missed someone with that kind of power in midfield.

Just to clarify the bit you are quoting is from extra gravy, not Wenger. Unless of course extra gravy is Wenger! Well, are you??

Wanyama can't get a game for Southampton. Even after they sold all their midfielders.

Wanyama scored the winner against Swansea on Saturday. He's being eased back from a long term injury but he most certainly is a useful footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Wanyama scored the winner against Swansea on Saturday. He's being eased back from a long term injury but he most certainly is a useful footballer.

He started very brightly for Southampton last season but never seemed to get back to that level after injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

The biggest worry for me is that Wenger yet again wants to transform someone into something that they're not. Likewise with sanchez. If Wenger accepts that we need a DM then go and buy a proven performer in that position. We are arsenal ffs and we should be looking for the best in every position and not trying to transform players into something that they aren't for the sake of saving a few bob.

The biggest worry for me is that Wenger yet again wants to transform someone into something that they're not. Likewise with sanchez. If Wenger accepts that we need a DM then go and buy a proven performer in that position. We are arsenal ffs and we should be looking for the best in every position and not trying to transform players into something that they aren't for the sake of saving a few bob.

I suppose it worked with your name sake, so he thinks he has the knack. I don't see it as too much of a stretch to have him in that position, although he needs to be able to turn out week in week out before he could be relied upon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sanchez is a better striker than he is a winger.

Wherever Diaby plays, if he plays, is hardly a big concern to us at the moment.

For 2 years now Wenger has been buying or chasing the best available in every position.

Edited to include: people are still so down on the summer but look at what we did. Best available option for LWF/striker, best available RB and best available option for backup/future CB.

3 years ago we would have placed a hige amount of faith in Campbell, promoted Jenks and bought Kolo back. We also would have sold Ramsey.

I think it's like the creationist view of the evolution chain. For every improvement to the squad people just see the gaps more clearly.

I look at the business we've done!! Imagine if we get the best available DMF and CB in the summer!

gosplan wrote: »
    For 2 years now Wenger has been buying or chasing the best available in every position.

:eek: are you Kim Kallstrom in disguise ...
    My Junior team put in a bid for Suarez, 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps it was. WE are trying to get the best available in every positon too.

:eek: are you Kim Kallstrom in disguise ...
    My Junior team put in a bid for Suarez, 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps it was. WE are trying to get the best available in every positon too.

That's great. Do you have a point that can be discussed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Sanchez is a better striker than he is a winger.

Wherever Diaby plays, if he plays, is hardly a big concern to us at the moment.

Edited to include: people are still so down on the summer but look at what we did. Best available option for LWF/striker, best available RB and best available option for backup/future CB.

3 years ago we would have placed a hige amount of faith in Campbell, promoted Jenks and bought Kolo back. We also would have sold Ramsey.

I think it's like the creationist view of the evolution chain. For every improvement to the squad people just see the gaps more clearly.

I look at the business we've done!! Imagine if we get the best available DMF and CB in the summer!

Only Sanchez meets that criteria.

Welbeck throws your theory out the window, he's far from the best available anything.

Debuchy is a stop gap, he's pretty ordinary IMO, your not 29 years old and playing for Newcastle without reason.

Think Arsene is surprised how good Chambers is and would have probably left Debuchy where he is and signed a dmf had he known that.

Welbeck/Giroud + Arteta/Flamini are going to kill us this season, upgrade them significantly then your theory stands up.

Chelsea signed the best available this season as did United with best intentions, we started and Arsene lost the head in August

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Welbeck throws your theory out the window, he's far from the best available anything.

Debuchy is a stop gap, he's pretty ordinary IMO, your not 29 years old and playing for Newcastle without reason.

Think Arsene is surprised how good Chambers is and would have probably left Debuchy where he is and signed a dmf had he known that.

Welbeck/Giroud + Arteta/Flamini are going to kill us this season, upgrade them significantly then your theory stands up.

Chelsea signed the best available this season as did United with best intentions, we started and Arsene lost the head in August

Better available RB than Debuchy?

No point discussing what you think Wenger's opinion was of a player before he signed him.

Welbeck was a reaction to losing Giroud.

Wenger went into the summer with a target of buying three players and did that admirably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

omega man wrote: »
    Ok look we have different opinions on the subject. This would be a boring forum if we all had the same views on everything arsenal related.

How many contracts have we given him though? You really want the club to keep renewing his contact because he's a good lad? Not many employers who'd afford an employee that much good will, rightly or wrongly.
    It wasn't good will. It was a bet. It lost. A lot of bets do.

Chambers a 16milluon signing at 19. Arsene wouldn't spend that sort of money without a pretty good idea of how good he was going to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ok.

Lets spend £16 million on a player...is he any good? Maybe!

Ok.

Lets spend £16 million on a player...is he any good? Maybe!

I didn't say that smart arse!

We are all surprised how good/ready Chambers is, he's 19.

Usually they need time at that age, but you knew he would walk into the team unfazed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If we perform we could really thump spurs

greendom wrote: »
    Chambers a 16milluon signing at 19. Arsene wouldn't spend that sort of money without a pretty good idea of how good he was going to be.

He spent it on potential I would think, I said he was surprised at how good he is now (19)

How stupid of me though, all knowing Muhammad Arsene, knew precisely how he would do!

He spent it on potential I would think, I said he was surprised at how good he is now (19)

How stupid of me though, all knowing Muhammad Arsene, knew precisely how he would do!

All knowing yourself seems to have some insight that if Arsne had known he would have put all his faith in a 19 year old RB and instead worked harder to sign a midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Quazzie wrote: »
    He's getting a reported £65,000 a week.

I think he is after getting enough "credit". Time to start paying something off now.
    Pretty sure he would give every penny away just to stay injury free for the rest of his career. Money isn't everything to some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Does that say the same about Cabaye? This point doesn't really strengthen any argument in my opinion, whats wrong with buying an experienced right back who's played in the premier league?

It sounds like you'd be unhappy with any club we would have signed from in the Premier League unless it was Chelsea or City.. and there's no chance we would have signed Zabaleta or Ivanovic..

Debuchy is a solid right back and I think a solid improvement on Sagna while one of Chambers, Jenks or Bellerin steps up to the plate..

He me be your least favourite man for the job, but sometimes you have to bow to the fact that as much as we think we know about football, a man who has won multiple domestic titles over a highly successful career in the game actually knows more than us.

Very interesting read in this mornings arseblog.

http://arseblog.com/2014/09/kroenkes-money-decisions-not-that-upstanding/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's an interesting take on the situation. I'm of the mind that while the 3% hike and the subsequent 3 million payment is unseemly, it's not the end of the world.

The main reason I don't think that he'll start taking money out of Arsenal is his rumoured plans for the St Louis Rams. He's bought 60 acres in LA, and is looking to buy more, which would then meet the NFL requirement for stadium and parking(Parking at a stadium? Weird).

In order to fund this, he could take money out of Arsenal, or he could do what I think more likely: use Arsenal as a guarantee to secure more favourable loans to fund the stadium. As Arsenal are a cash rich, steady, growing company, he's get a fair bit knocked off the price of the loans.

All conjecture and supposition there.

That's great. Do you have a point that can be discussed?

try this one ...

Originally Posted by gosplanviewpost.gif

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    He me be your least favourite man for the job, but sometimes you have to bow to the fact that as much as we think we know about football, a man who has won multiple domestic titles over a highly successful career in the game actually knows more than us.

Bentdner, Djourou, Gervinho, Chamak, Jeffers, Baptista, Cygan, Wright, Squillaci and the ones that got away Drogba, Ibrahimovic, and Yaya Toure say hi...

Bentdner, Djourou, Gervinho, Chamak, Jeffers, Baptista, Cygan, Wright, Squillaci and the ones that got away Drogba, Ibrahimovic, and Yaya Toure say hi...

You might as well throw in Messi, Schweinsteiger, Ronaldo. Zidane, sure why not? Ferguson missed out on all them and Shearer, Ramsey, Kompany too. Pair of wasters.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

*insert names of successful players Wenger signed and pretend it's a valid form of argument or makes any point whatsoever*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Manchester United - Kleberson, Bebe, Jordi Cryuff, Djemba Djemba, Forlan, Liam Miller, Anderson, Obertan, Veron

Chelsea - Parker, Marin, Boulahrouz, Wright-Phillips, Mutu, Veron, Kezman, Shevchenko, Torres

Manchester City - Savic, Jo, Bridge, Santa Cruz, Sinclair, Rodwell, Caicedo, Samaras, Benjani, Robinho

Liverpool - The whole of this transfer window

Tottenham - The whole of last years transfer window

While the ones that got away... Henry, Pires, Viera, Fabregas, Sanchez, Ramsey...

Clubs make mistakes, just we don't spend much on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Chelsea - Parker, Marin, Boulahrouz, Wright-Phillips, Mutu, Veron, Kezman, Shevchenko, Torres

you only had to have one name: Winston Bogarde!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Clubs make mistakes, just we don't spend much on them...

I remember reading some analysis on it before... a good manager is deemed to be someone with about a 1 in 3 success rate over the long term. Too many variables involved to have much confidence in achieving a higher success rate.

try this one ...

Originally Posted by gosplanviewpost.gif

Yeah, all you gave to counter that was an emergency short term loan deal.

Now try discussing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Why do people keep mentioning Yaya Toure in players that got away? We went in for him, we couldn't get a work permit, end of story.

Petit, Vieira, Grimandi, Ljunberg, Pires, Overmars, Henry, Silvinho, Suker, Kanu, Wiltord, Edu, Gilberto, Anelka, Henry, Lauren, Campbell, Toure, Fabregas, Van Persie, Clichy etc.

All to the massive cost of 72 million pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Petit, Vieira, Grimandi, Ljunberg, Pires, Overmars, Henry, Silvinho, Suker, Kanu, Wiltord, Edu, Gilberto, Anelka, Henry, Lauren, Campbell, Toure, Fabregas, Van Persie, Clichy etc.

Henry gets 2 mentions cause he's just THAT good! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Ha well he did play for us twice.

:pac::pac: You know it makes sense :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Gringo180 wrote: »

Some absolute heros there! This list mades me sad.

Oh wait, I get it now ... Here goes.

Thierry Henry says hi!

Is that right?

Noo wrote: »
    Some absolute heros there! This list mades me sad.

Don't worry the good times are just around the corner :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Jaysus the last few pages are eye gouging stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

How we going to set the team up against Spurs on Saturday? Bring Sanchez back in, and leave Ozil in his preferred position. Need to beat them, and maintain the pressure on Chelsea who no disrespect to Villa could hammer them in the 3pm kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Chez

Chambers Dave Mert Gibbs

Jack Rambo

Sanchez Özil Santi

Welé

Thats how I'd line up.

Dave?? Am i missing somthing!?

And i wouldn't start Jack and Rambo. Its either or for me. Arteta will and should start instead of one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Roddy23 wrote: »
    How we going to set the team up against Spurs on Saturday? Bring Sanchez back in, and leave Ozil in his preferred position. Need to beat them, and maintain the pressure on Chelsea who no disrespect to Villa could hammer them in the 3pm kick off.

I'm very wary of Villa, I dont predict a hammering anyway. Theyre squad had a virus that pretty much killed any energy they had for yere game but ye were ruthless in those 5mins when ye killed the game.

I'd hope we win but it will be a 2-0 or 2-1 IMO. Villa have a good record against us in the last few years, home and away so it isnt a banker 3pts fro me anyway.

Although I do expect you guys to trounce spurs by at least 2 goals.

Man City did an Ask Me Anything with Sagna and he rather predictably got absolutely rinsed by Gooners.

Don't have a link but personal favourites include:

"Would you describe yourself as the type of player who likes to get forward or is happy to sit? #asksagna"

"Community Shield 2014: Arsenal 3 Man City 0. Four right backs played in this game and none of them were you. This isn't a question #asksagna"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Those q&a sessions are daft, they always end going the same way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

So Podolski is useless and even his social media charm can't save him

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

wonga77 wrote: »
    Those q&a sessions are daft, they always end going the same way

It's the same with anything that's not moderated on the internet. It's what boards would be without the likes of Mickeroo and GavRedKing.

Thanks friendly Mods!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Team for the weekend lads?
    Schezney
    Chambers Mert Kos Gibbs
    Arteta
    Sanchez Wilshere Ramsey Ozil
    Welbeck

I expect Wenger to go back to 4141 for this match. Id prefer to see Ozil in the middle and 4231 but I cant see him leaving Wilshere or Ramsey out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement