Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

According to Dean (afcamden) were definitely in for a DM but at the moment CB has taken priority as Verm has told the club he wants to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can we not just be looking for both why must one be a priority

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can we not just be looking for both why must one be a priority

They are looking for both I would think but we have better cover for CM at the moment than we do for CB so it makes sense to prioritise it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Just looking at the Euro co-efficients and if we make the group stages we should overtake ManU this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Anyone know if Saturday's game is live on any of the UK or Setanta sports channels or just US tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Anyone know if Saturday's game is live on any of the UK or Setanta sports channels or just US tv?

Match live on Premier Sports in the UK.Think thats setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Setanta are showing it at 10pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

At the start of last season though Flamini was barking at the players around him to try and get some structure back when we were under pressure and I love Flamini for that. He puts his heart into everything its just a pity he is the wrong side of 30 for me and makes rash challenges

Bitterly disappointed when he went to Milan but was glad to see him back last season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

marvin80 wrote: »
    Bitterly disappointed when he went to Milan but was glad to see him back last season

His form tailed off in a big way last season. He was fantastic at the start, a real leader and driving force. He wasn't that player at the end of the season for some reason.

His form tailed off in a big way last season. He was fantastic at the start, a real leader and driving force. He wasn't that player at the end of the season for some reason.

Must have been the long sleeves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Incase you lads missed it, came up in my newsfeed.

Edit: apologies if posted already.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

I was happy when flamini returned even though it was the cheap option at the time. But over the course of last season I think it was proven that he is not at the level required to get us winning leagues and C L,s. Wenger needs to invest in the world class DM that we all crave and the team badly needs. We are very close to a squad capable of challenging on all fronts and we should just pay what is required to get that final piece of the jigsaw. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Currently on Holiday so there won't be any daily Arsenal transfer news..

I had a replacement but he kept quoting Daily mail :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

ronjo wrote: »
    Ah no, lets bring back the invisible wall instead. :)

What's this in relation to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Gilberto Silva was known as the invisible wall because he was so good but always went unappreciated and unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gilberto was a genius of a player. Wasn't a hard-hitting traditional DM (not that I'd want to fight him), his game was based around anticipation and positioning. Rarely got a yellow card.

Did I mention that I miss him? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtUdosNCEAEOHGB.jpg:large

Thought i'd post this, a great tribute to an undervalued servant

This is kind of random, I think Laurent Koscielny is one of the best centre backs i've ever seen a pure athlete and reads the game so well.

He kind of came from nowhere when he signed for Arsenal and he was 24 not a kid or nothing, does anybody know if around that time (I can't remember) he was much sought after or is it just another Wenger hidden gem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

byrneg28 wrote: »
    This is kind of random, I think Laurent Koscielny is one of the best centre backs i've ever seen a pure athlete and reads the game so well.

He kind of came from nowhere when he signed for Arsenal and he was 24 not a kid or nothing, does anybody know if around that time (I can't remember) he was much sought after or is it just another Wenger hidden gem?

Don't think he was that big. One season in the French top flight and Wenger signed him.

He did turn heads some though. One of my all time favourite football statistics is that in that season with Lorient, he really didn't miss a tackle, as in not a single tackle ... all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arsenal press conference live
    http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

BtVcGrvCAAAKTue.jpg

Together again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

BtVcGrvCAAAKTue.jpg

Together again :)

I cant decide who I want as a successor to Wenger; Henry, Pires or Bergkamp?

Arsenal is just a wonderful club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

byrneg28 wrote: »

He was rather unknown and a lot of people questioned it due to his lack of experience at the top level. We would have easily been the biggest club interested in him. Not a total hidden gem, but pretty damn close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Some may disagree but I hope we dont have to 'find' the next Koscielny, hopefully we just buy the finished product. He only fully established himself 18 months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

AdamD wrote: »
    Some may disagree but I hope we dont have to 'find' the next Koscielny, hopefully we just buy the finished product. He only fully established himself 18 months ago

Who could we get? I'm at a loss to really name any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It would be very hard to sign an already established top CH as its unlikely one would sign to sit on the bench so its more likely to be either a solid pro or a top young prospect.

KINGVictor wrote: »
    I cant decide who I want as a successor to Wenger; Henry, Pires or Bergkamp?

Arsenal is just a wonderful club.
    Bergkamp for me. Smart, getting his coaching badges, cool but with a temper when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Bergkamp for me. Smart, getting his coaching badges, cool but with a temper when needed.
    Just has to manage by remote control for European away days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Logically, that would be my choice as well. No doubt. For some reason, I think there is some of quiet agreement between him and Arsene.

However, if you overlook process based coaching, Pires comes across as very passionate by always identifying himself with the Club, building relationships with current players etc, not too sure with his technical abilities though.

Personally, I would love someone who is passionate about the club rather than some overpaid lackey who is just basically experimenting to achieve results.

Anyways, Arsene is still the Boss and deservedly so, cant wait for the season to commence. We look the business and seem to be on a winning mission.

GOYG!!!

• Advertisement

Although I could see Bould taking over too.

But most of all I hope Arsene is here for a long time yet

At the start of last season though Flamini was barking at the players around him to try and get some structure back when we were under pressure and I love Flamini for that. He puts his heart into everything its just a pity he is the wrong side of 30 for me and makes rash challenges
    Yeah I remember that in the middle of the great run after Villa. He didn't have the legs to back it up though. And it almost seemed to stop affecting the players after a while.

We need a defender for Mertesacker when he gets injured and when he's done. Koscielny can go another 6 years easy with someone decent next to him but it has to be the right kind of defender. A proper DM in front of them and fullbacks bombing forward, it's so obvious and simple. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

What do ye make of this Casillas talk lads? The daily express are reporting it now.. I know it's paper talk but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

What do ye make of this Casillas talk lads? The daily express are reporting it now.. I know it's paper talk but still...

We've offered him a 5 year deal? Nonsense!

No way. For the money he would want he isn't worth it. A few years ago for sure, but Szczesny is far better than him now so he wouldn't even be competition. We can find someone younger, cheaper and with potential to sit on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I bet half this thread will be calling Sanchez a flop this side of Xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Couple of intersting lines this morning. Our German World Cup Winners will return to training on 13th August, just 4 days before the Crystal Palace game so will not be ready.

It also seems that Milan are very keen to off-load Ballotelli to us. The latest doing the rounds in the Italian press is that 10million and Joel Campbell will seal the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Sky Sports reporting the Casillas deal now, doesnt make an ounce of sense.

Not too keen on Balotelli at all tbh. Rumours of Schneiderlein, Bender have died off too.
    I miss waking up each morning to an array of transfer links :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

greendom wrote: »
    Couple of intersting lines this morning. Our German World Cup Winners will return to training on 13th August, just 4 days before the Crystal Palace game so will not be ready.

I don't have a problem giving them the time off. We have enough players fit to be able to cope with their absence for the first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not too keen on Balotelli at all tbh. Rumours of Schneiderlein, Bender have died off too.

I'd be pretty disappointed if this was the sum total of our spending.
    In reality we have just added one player to the squad, a good one though, while replacing another. That would not leave us strong enough for the battles ahead imo.
    We really do need at least a DM.

Nothing that I can see on the website? Only links I see are the likes of the Mirror which isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

• Advertisement

I know I'm not meant to mention the DM

But they've reported that Santi Cazorla isn't happy at the emirates at all and isn't content on staying,

That's the last time I read that toilet paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Lets not forget there is still over 5 weeks of the transfer window left plenty of time to sort out signings..

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

I bet half this thread will be calling Sanchez a flop this side of Xmas

Why would you even say that? You'll be wanting him to flop so you can be proved right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Why would you even say that? You'll be wanting him to flop so you can be proved right now...

Nope he will get off to a slow start and he will be labeled a flop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

BduOavv.gif

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

For someone who always comments on people's negativity and "moaning" in the thread that was a pretty random negative post tbh.

I don't get this attitude at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I don't understand how anyone could be disappointed with us signing Casillas. He has had a rough 2 years at Real, but is still a top class player, we need more strength and dept in every position.

The way I see it, 2 things can happen. Szczesny would play even better because of the quality backup behind him, or Casillas would push Szczesny to number 2 for the time being, I have no problem if Casillas comes and performs better than Szczesny.

The thing about it is, the Casillas rumors are probably total bullsh!t anyway :P

thorbarry wrote: »
    I don't understand how anyone could be disappointed with us signing Casillas. He has had a rough 2 years at Real, but is still a top class player, we need more strength and dept in every position.

The way I see it, 2 things can happen. Szczesny would play even better because of the quality backup behind him, or Casillas would push Szczesny to number 2 for the time being, I have no problem if Casillas comes and performs better than Szczesny.

It just doesn't seem like a smart signing to me when someone like Ospina is available who is younger and would demand much less wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Nothing that I can see on the website? Only links I see are the likes of the Mirror which isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

My bad it was on their Facebook page, now I see it was from their Paper Talk section, Daily Express saying 5year deal worth 1.3m a year :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement