Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's the same with anything that's not moderated on the internet. It's what boards would be without the likes of Mickeroo and GavRedKing.

Thanks friendly Mods!

Buttering us up, nice.

You're allowed one free dig, troll or wind up post anywhere and we'll look the other way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

efb wrote: »
    So Podolski is useless and even his social media charm can't save him

that's what saves already a bit i think, if he was inconspicuous off field like cazorla or rosicky even (rosickys' in a band ffs, imaging poldi was in a band) he'd get a lot more criticism

then there's the 'better used from the bench' line people like to use for him, it's not really true, he's more productive starting actually - against the bottom half teams though - he wasn't about to be sold for no reason either.
    13/14: 27app 12g 5a. (7sub on 2g 2a - one of each in two games)
    12/13 42app 16g 12a (9sub on 3g 0a)

a strange player, his numbers are quite good but some of the performances are shocking as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Buttering us up, nice.

You're allowed one free dig, troll or wind up post anywhere and we'll look the other way :D

I know how the game is played...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's the same with anything that's not moderated on the internet. It's what boards would be without the likes of Mickeroo and GavRedKing.

Thanks friendly Mods!

It'd probably just descend into petty Man U/Liverpool rivalries with loads of baiting and score settling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Buttering us up, nice.

You told me that wasn't possible :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Looking forward to spurs tomorrow. From what I've seen of them so far this season they're not at their mediocre best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

shano_88 wrote: »
    Team for the weekend lads?
    Schezney
    Chambers Mert Kos Gibbs
    Arteta
    Sanchez Wilshere Ramsey Ozil
    Welbeck

I expect Wenger to go back to 4141 for this match. Id prefer to see Ozil in the middle and 4231 but I cant see him leaving Wilshere or Ramsey out.

didn't Wilshere and Sanchez play mid week, maybe one might not play.

......Ramsey.....Arteta
    Sanchez....ozil....cazorla
    ...'...,'.......welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Oranage2 wrote: »
    You told me that wasn't possible :eek:

Depends what you offer us, us mods wouldnt turn our noses up at the odd bribe or two. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

An Interesting article on Goal.com today about Wenger and how naive he is with his purchases.

Hard to disagree with a lot of what is said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Last weekend could not have gone better for me. Internet went crap at home so quickly got ready and headed to my mates bar for the game. Took a bit of time to get set up but as soon as we did - 3 goals.

A bar that I have never seen any of my sports teams lose in.

So I have told the woman its now my duty to go to that bar for every game (at least until we lose) that I can so at least I am doing my bit for the team. Amazingly she has agreed - So come tomorrow night at 12:30 I will be propping up the bar shouting at the big screen and we are a certainty to at least not lose

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

shano_88 wrote: »
    Team for the weekend lads?
    Schezney
    Chambers Mert Kos Gibbs
    Arteta
    Sanchez Wilshere Ramsey Ozil
    Welbeck

I expect Wenger to go back to 4141 for this match. Id prefer to see Ozil in the middle and 4231 but I cant see him leaving Wilshere or Ramsey out.

I'm not sure why Ozil always has to be the one out wide - surely rotating them (JW, AR, MO) into that position might be a better idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Quazzie wrote: »
    An Interesting article on Goal.com today about Wenger and how naive he is with his purchases.

While I agree there are some valid points made, I just think this is just typical media bashing

When Wenger doesn't buy, his youth policy is set to fail.

When Wenger buys, his 'galactico-inspired' policy is set to fail.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    While I agree there are some valid points made, I just think this is just typical media bashing

When Wenger doesn't buy, his youth policy is set to fail.

When Wenger buys, his 'galactico-inspired' policy is set to fail.

We didn't buy cesc because we have ozil. we don't pay ozil where we would play cesc do why didn't we buy cesc. We essentially didn't buy cesc to sit Jack. you can argue ozil is better, some night argue Ramsey is, but there is no way Jack is. Wenger keeps buying the sneer player for the sane position and he can't even get that right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Ozil always has to be the one out wide - surely rotating them (JW, AR, MO) into that position might be a better idea

I think that does happen anyway, the rotation of the creative mid-field in order to confuse opposition, when Ozil is put on the Centre on the team sheet, it doesn't mean he will primarily play there and vice-versa with left wing

1411250165525_wps_12_Mesut_Ozil_graphic.jpg

Check out Ozil's heat map against Aston Villa, a lot across the middle and particularly the Left, and remember his assist came from the left wing. Maybe he was getting joy down the flank, maybe hes just getting back to full fitness?

It's like Wenger gives him the freedom to choose where he gets his joy from

For instance one of the best games I've ever seen Ozil play in was vs. Napoli at home, he was sensational check out his heat map. Despite playing through the Centre/No.10 he was practically a right-mid too

BVlSuK2CMAAKQXy.png

All his joy and touches were coming down that right-flank, most-likely because the Left-back that night was Zuniga, primarily a right-wing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I don't think it's necessarily the fact that he always needs to be in the middle that's the issue. It's the fact that he has much more positional freedom when he starts in the number 10 role.

When he's starting from the wing it's more disciplined role and he can't really come inside for the ball as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Totally different topic folks... Inspite of all his flaws you've to admire Wenger', he is class...

"on supporting the Rooney rule…
    I’m a supporter of being against any discrimination and I dream of a society where just competence comes in no matter where you come from or what is the colour of your skin or what your culture is. That is for me the most important thing. I don’t think the rules of employment should be positive discrimination. I wouldn’t like to be a part of any culture where I get a job and think I’m just there because I come from there. In some ways it’s encouraging discrimination. I just dream of a competitive world where everybody’s employed just because they’re good at their job. I’m in favour of that. We had that debate in France where there shouldn’t be any discrimination between a woman and a man - it’s just competence that is important."

Source: arsenal.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

We didn't buy cesc because we have ozil. we don't pay ozil where we would play cesc do why didn't we buy cesc. We essentially didn't buy cesc to sit Jack. you can argue ozil is better, some night argue Ramsey is, but there is no way Jack is. Wenger keeps buying the sneer player for the sane position and he can't even get that right.

You really need to get over this Cesc this, its tedious now.

Totally different topic folks... Inspite of all his flaws you've to admire Wenger', he is class...

"on supporting the Rooney rule…
    I’m a supporter of being against any discrimination and I dream of a society where just competence comes in no matter where you come from or what is the colour of your skin or what your culture is. That is for me the most important thing. I don’t think the rules of employment should be positive discrimination. I wouldn’t like to be a part of any culture where I get a job and think I’m just there because I come from there. In some ways it’s encouraging discrimination. I just dream of a competitive world where everybody’s employed just because they’re good at their job. I’m in favour of that. We had that debate in France where there shouldn’t be any discrimination between a woman and a man - it’s just competence that is important."

Source: arsenal.com
    "it's just competence that is important"

Trying to talk yourself out of a job Arsene?

"it's just competence that is important"

Trying to talk yourself out of a job Arsene?

We all know Wenger has his short comings...but there's not many managers competent than him...only a handful and most of them are cheque book managers or one season wonders...

• Advertisement

I see Gibbs has a twin brother. He looks more like Alex Oxlade Chamberlain then his twin brother :pac:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/features/20140918/arsenal-family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Jack doesn't get in the team when we have a first 11 out. We would have been buying Cesc to sit on the bench instead of Jack and to rotate in for Carling Cup matches. Not a good way to spend over £40m (cost of Fabregas to Chelsea plus loss of sell-on figure).

I see Gibbs has a twin brother. He looks more like Alex Oxlade Chamberlain then his twin brother :pac:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/features/20140918/arsenal-family

That's actually a decent insight into a footballers life...I think most of Arsenal players are decent blokes... I know its his brother so he is not gonna say anything bad about him but still..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'd start with the same 11 that played against villa

Jack and Sanchez on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Godge wrote: »
    Jack doesn't get in the team when we have a first 11 out. We would have been buying Cesc to sit on the bench instead of Jack and to rotate in for Carling Cup matches. Not a good way to spend over £40m (cost of Fabregas to Chelsea plus loss of sell-on figure).

um.gif

Godge wrote: »
    Oh yea, for all them games when we start with our best XI.

Cesc would still be in our best XI by the way. He'd be on it with Ozil where he is currently playing.

Also your figures are way off.

Oh yea, for all them games when we start with our best XI.

Cesc would still be in our best XI by the way. He'd be on it with Ozil where he is currently playing.

Also your figures are way off.

Just let it go

Let it go

You will fell better

Let it go

Just let it go

Let it go

You will fell better

Let it go
    I thought this was the part of the movie where we all break out into songs from Disney musicals when I first started reading your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Just let it go

Let it go

You will fell better

Let it go

For the love of fcukin god LET IT GO

• Advertisement

I thought this was the part of the movie where we all break out into songs from Disney musicals when I first started reading your post.

He is not coming back its gone

It's ok to move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mick, you're a ref, can you turn the word Cesc into ****? :pac:

Sick of the bloody Cesc talk, some people don't get the message.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mick, you're a ref, can you turn the word Cesc into ****? :pac:

Sick of the bloody Cesc talk, some people don't get the message.

I could abuse my powers and edit it out of everyone's posts, maybe I'll swap it with 'Shelvey' :p

I'd disagree with a huge amount tbh.

It's basically saying that Wenger is trying to model us on a team that played with two out and out strikers and the most holding holding midfielder in the history of the world.

It's a lot of speculation tbh, all based on the fact that Wenger said Zidabe played wide when he was asked about Ozil.

gosplan wrote: »
    I'd disagree with a huge amount tbh.

It's basically saying that Wenger is trying to model us on a team that played with two out and out strikers and the most holding holding midfielder in the history of the world.

It's a lot of speculation tbh, all based on the fact that Wenger said Zidabe played wide when he was asked about Ozil.
    It's hard to argue though that we have too many of the same player at the club and because of this we are effectively playing our best in a position that doesn't suit him, to try accommodate an inferior play to the detriment of the team overall.

We don't have the striker or holding midfielder to pull off what Wenger is trying to achieve, and he is too stubborn to admit it, thus when we play a decent side we get put aside with relative ease.

It's hard to argue though that we have too many of the same player at the club and because of this we are effectively playing our best in a position that doesn't suit him, to try accommodate an inferior play to the detriment of the team overall.

We don't have the striker or holding midfielder to pull off what Wenger is trying to achieve, and he is too stubborn to admit it, thus when we play a decent side we get put aside with relative ease.

Wilshire and Ozil are our number 10's.

The article is bulls hit because it says that Wenger is basically modelling his team on some idea but the reality is that when fit, Wally and Sanchez are both in which is absolutely counter to everything the article says.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Wilshire and Ozil are our number 10's.

The article is bulls hit because it says that Wenger is basically modelling his team on some idea but the reality is that when fit, Wally and Sanchez are both in which is absolutely counter to everything the article says.

The article does't say that Wenger is modelling on anything. It was Wenger who put forward the sides when asked about how he plans to work the side with so many players in the same mould. Wenger named two sides and the article just points out the obvious flaws in his thinking. Lack of a decent DM being the most blatant, and that's something we've all been saying here for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

3-0 win tomorrow lads.
    Welbeck to be among the goals again.
    COYG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Interesting article on Ozil and "football's distrust of introverts"

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ozil-ronaldo-and-footballs-distrust-introverts#H81ZpDYyi7gq7boA.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

right to the point. And perceptions won't change because he won't change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Great article, thanks for sharing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He's right without Özil arsenal are limp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ozil is technically the best player ever to wear the Arsenal jersey. I say this as Bergkamps biggest fans, but when I watch Ozil closely he does things that I have never seen any player do, his vision is extraordinary. Ive honestly seen Ozil playing great games and I still hear people say he was poor, madness the abuse he gets at times.

The article does't say that Wenger is modelling on anything. It was Wenger who put forward the sides when asked about how he plans to work the side with so many players in the same mould. Wenger named two sides and the article just points out the obvious flaws in his thinking. Lack of a decent DM being the most blatant, and that's something we've all been saying here for ages.

It says exactly that.

The DMF point is valid but it's your point and wasn't mentioned. Lots of the things YOU say about Arsenal are correct but that article is a bag of ****e.

#FavouriteNLDPhoto doing the rounds on Twitter. Some great ones in there. Cannot wait for tomorrow!

ByfoFBAIAAEda4U.jpg

ByfNFiPIMAA0KcX.jpg

ByfFBQVIIAAmqKQ.jpg

ByfA9kTIEAAsX1b.jpg

ByfXrNVCQAESf6S.jpg

Bye_qtkCUAA483L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Ozil is technically the best player ever to wear the Arsenal jersey. I say this as Bergkamps biggest fans, but when I watch Ozil closely he does things that I have never seen any player do, his vision is extraordinary. Ive honestly seen Ozil playing great games and I still hear people say he was poor, madness the abuse he gets at times.

I hear you but disagree.. There has been no better technichal player for Arsenal than Bergkamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I hear you but disagree.. There has been no better technichal player for Arsenal than Bergkamp.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just seen that Walcott who was due to be back in the squad for this game with Spurs is still 3 weeks away. Will he be back this side of Christmas I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Just seen that Walcott who was due to be back in the squad for this game with Spurs is still 3 weeks away. Will he be back this side of Christmas I wonder?

Who actually said he was due back for the Spurs game? I don't remember Wenger or Walcott ever saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I understood it to be after the international break. Next month that is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement