Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its hard to know where to start with yesterday. We are a very unbalanced team and the one thing we're most severly lacking is the bite and desire, that bit of dirt that every team needs. To me a point at home to Spurs is two points dropped and theres no two ways about it. They are the kind of games we need to be winning and will prove the difference over the season.
    Im worried about the Chelsea game, i just cant see us getting any change from their defence and really hope we set up in a defensive manner and try and hit them on the counter as its our best hope. Costa is proving to be very clinical so we cant afford to be giving him space.
    Its stating the obvious I know but we're just so unbalanced as a squad. It wouldnt be so bad coughing up chances if we were awesome going forward but we're lacking that killer instinct in front of goal. Also this 4 1 4 1 is sickening my sh1t, i just hate the formation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liam O wrote: »
    This is pure bull. A top destroyer, COVER in defense and Giroud getting fit again and Arsenal have a really good squad, easily capable of taking on anyone in the league and easily contenders. Too light in the middle atm but a deep strong midfielder will solve that. Still capable of challenging but Chelsea look to be in a league of their own barring an implosion.

we're one injury to costa way from falling down the league IMO.

I'm confident that if we keep him fit and rotate him we'll do very well this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Interesting that we had 70% possession and didn't win yesterday.
    We were always likely to be caught on the break though.
    I know that when you have so much possession it is natural to push forward but at one stage i thought Mert was our left winger.
    Pushing too far forward can lead to being caught on the break but it also leads to the pitch being made too compact for our attackers and denies them room. Plus it's easier for the opposition to defend if the area is cramped.
    We also offer very little in the air attacking-wise at the moment and should change the way we take corners. Better paying them short when you consider we took 15 yesterday and posed no problems whatsoever but gave possession away and had to defend their breaks from our corners.

We also offer very little in the air attacking-wise at the moment and should change the way we take corners. Better paying them short when you consider we took 15 yesterday and posed no problems whatsoever but gave possession away and had to defend their breaks from our corners.

We're not really a physicaly big team, too many shortish players, outside of Mert and Kos coming up for corners and possibly Welbeck we have no other arial threat (with Giroud out obviously)

wonga77 wrote: »
    We're not really a physicaly big team, too many shortish players, outside of Mert and Kos coming up for corners and possibly Welbeck we have no other arial threat (with Giroud out obviously)

We win feck all headers in the opponents area.
    Hence the need to vary our corners as all it's doing is giving away possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's the floating them in that drives me mad. A smaller guy might win a header but not when you loft the ball in and give everyone an extra second to get in position and time their jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

If by some miracle we can beat Chelsea next week I think it would be such a massive confidence boost we could well go on to win the league.

Of course I'm still expecting a hammering unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

One thing I noticed yesterday is that when we had a corner they had 8 men in there box to our 3 with another 2 on the edge of the d. I think we should just play it short because we will never ever score with so little bodies in the box.

Overall yesterday, I was very pleased with our performance. I thought Spurs and especially Kaboul defended excellently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

When we get a corner we should just kick it out for a goal kick as we are more likely to concede from one of our corners than score.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    One thing I noticed yesterday is that when we had a corner they had 8 men in there box to our 3 with another 2 on the edge of the d. I think we should just play it short because we will never ever score with so little bodies in the box.

Overall yesterday, I was very pleased with our performance. I thought Spurs and especially Kaboul defended excellently.

Yes but we didn't vary anything and made it easy for them to defend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Yes but we didn't vary anything and made it easy for them to defend.

Maybe so but I think we were very unfortunate not to win. Lloris pulled off a few world class saves to be fair. We battered them all over the pitch, it was like boys against men. Just gutted we didnt come away with the 3 points.

Arteta, Ramsey, Monreal, Sanogo, Debuchy, Giroud, Gnabry & Walcott are all out injured, Am I missing anyone? Tis a bit early for this, even by our standards

Maybe so but I think we were very unfortunate not to win. Lloris pulled off a few world class saves to be fair. We battered them all over the pitch, it was like boys against men. Just gutted we didnt come away with the 3 points.

I believe they came for a point and got it.
    Can we do the same at Stamford Bridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

For me that's the problem we should have bet City and Spurs so I see them as 4 points dropped not two gained.

We just couldn't muster up enough to put either games to bed. We're already dropping far to many points in games we should have won.

We need to start clicking soon, so far we've been lucky that bar Chelsea no one else has hit the ground running either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We won't go to the bridge looking for a draw

We will go attack and try win

Anyone expecting otherwise is codding themselfs

Ye'd be better off setting up defensively and counter, its got more of a chance to get ye points.

Id much prefer if ye did come up and play ball we'll ship a goal or two but we'll score at the other end too. Gonna be a good game.

I agree.
    It's not in Wenger's psyche.
    But we should go and park the bus and try to hit them on the break.
    Other teams do this and sometimes succeed.
    If we go and attack then i don't believe we will get anything unfortunately.

I agree.
    It's not in Wenger's psyche.
    But we should go and park the bus and try to hit them on the break.
    Other teams do this and sometimes succeed.
    If we go and attack then i don't believe we will get anything unfortunately.

Make your peace with it now we will attack and whatever will be will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Were going to batter Chelsea, no doubt about it. And I'm not being sarcastic in the slightest. Just ye wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ye'd be better off setting up defensively and counter, its got more of a chance to get ye points.

Id much prefer if ye did come up and play ball we'll ship a goal or two but we'll score at the other end too. Gonna be a good game.

Wenger hasnt a bulls notion how to set a team up defensively. We'll go there, get blown apart through the middle and lose heavily. I just can't see any other outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Quazzie wrote: »
    When we get a corner we should just kick it out for a goal kick as we are more likely to concede from one of our corners than score.

you know what, I bet loads of fans would complain if we did that

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Were going to batter Chelsea, no doubt about it. And I'm not being sarcastic in the slightest. Just ye wait.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Wenger hasnt a bulls notion how to set a team up defensively. We'll go there, get blown apart through the middle and lose heavily. I just can't see any other outcome.

I just fcuking love this thread :)

I just fcuking love this thread :)

It's what it's all about though :)

He does though. Or did at least. That's the worst thing about it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Arteta, Ramsey, Monreal, Sanogo, Debuchy, Giroud, Gnabry & Walcott are all out injured, Am I missing anyone? Tis a bit early for this, even by our standards

Pretty sure Wilshire is out too.

• Advertisement

Given yere injury list its a distinct possibility alright. Last year before Matic our cm was soft, too slow, lacked creativity and weve done well to change it in the last few months. I dont know about blown apart, City pinned us back for extended periods and donr well by just kicking fellas around the park,could work in Wengers favour if he follows suit.

Given yere injury list its a distinct possibility alright. Last year before Matic our cm was soft, too slow, lacked creativity and weve done well to change it in the last few months. I dont know about blown apart, City pinned us back for extended periods and donr well by just kicking fellas around the park,could work in Wengers favour if he follows suit.

Wenger's current side are not kickers so it won't happen.
    Now if it was Adams, Keown and Co. .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Wenger's current side are not kickers so it won't happen.
    Now if it was Adams, Keown and Co. .......
    GTFO if Alexis isnt a kicker, I clearly dont know what a kicker is

astonaidan wrote: »
    GTFO if Alexis isnt a kicker, I clearly dont know what a kicker is

For some reason he's not getting much chance to kick anything.

Watch an Arsenal match when the other side do some kicking as a tactic. Each player will get away with a couple before getting booked. Arsenal will wait a while before leaving one in and get a booking straightaway.

• Advertisement

Quick glance on statto and we've had 1.3 goals per game in the 10 matches so far this season. Not great. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Quick glance on statto and we've had 1.3 goals per game in the 10 matches so far this season. Not great. :/

It's very poor button. Leaky at the back and not scoring much going forward. I do think we'll improve well over the season, but too late to do anything noteworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

This is probably true but do people honestly forget that even in recent seasons we have played very defensively in some games? eg Dortmund away last year, and games against Bayern and Barca in recent years

This is probably true but do people honestly forget that even in recent seasons we have played very defensively in some games? eg Dortmund away last year, and games against Bayern and Barca in recent years
    I'm happy enough with that kind of pukeball when used sparingly. I'll never get over that referee screwing us against Barcelona.

I we get out of the bridge next week without conceding 4

I will celebrate like when we won the FA cup :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

In relation to 4-1-4-1 , take a look at this, http://vimeo.com/71062176

Compared to Bayern it's like we set up in the formation but don't actually do any of the tactics required e.g. pressing, triangles, dropping to a 4-4-1-1.. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

byrneg28 wrote: »
    In relation to 4-1-4-1 , take a look at this, http://vimeo.com/71062176

Compared to Bayern it's like we set up in the formation but don't actually do any of the tactics required e.g. pressing, triangles, dropping to a 4-4-1-1.. etc.

Yep, that sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

A lot of work to be done on the training ground this week. Few positives from the Spurs game -dominating possession, the amount of corners, Chambers and the Ox both played well, Koscielney swatting away two successive challenges and carrying the ball forward, and we're still unbeaten.Will be interesting to see how we change up our corners as for myself they represent where we can definitely do a lot more. 15 corners against spurs and we look more like conceding than actually scoring. The injuries also to key players needs to be addressed as subbing off two players before even half time knocked the stuffing out of any momentum we had accumulated.

Need to beat Gala on Wednesday, not pick up any more injuries and look a lot more solid for what will surely be a massive test at the Bridge on Sunday. Its these weeks of big games we look forward to the most as supporters so we need to start winning again,but I'd take bite your hand off if offered a draw at Chelsea right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think we should try a midfield trio of Ozil,Cazorla and Diaby for Wed, with a view for implementing something similar for Chelsea.

I think Giroud's absence proves what an important component of the team he is. Walcott's return to action can't come sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Something seriously wrong when 2 players that were rested midweek drop with hamstring injuries after half an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I think we should try a midfield trio of Ozil,Cazorla and Diaby for Wed, with a view for implementing something similar for Chelsea.

I think Giroud's absence proves what an important component of the team he is. Walcott's return to action can't come sooner.

I'd fear for Diaby with that set up, he'd have WAY too much work to do, i think Diaby,Wilshere,Ozil would be our best bet, at least Wilshere will work back and make a few challenges relieving some pressure from Diaby and the back 4, Cazorla would be too lazy and not a good enough tackler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That's leaving all of the work to Diaby, the other two don't put enough of a shift in. I'd play Rosicky, bad as he was last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

L'prof wrote: »
    Pretty sure Wilshire is out too.

Gibbs is due another hamstring injury now too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That's leaving all of the work to Diaby, the other two don't put enough of a shift in. I'd play Rosicky, bad as he was last week.

Well maybe Chambers alongside Diaby, Cazorla and Ozil then, see how that works.

Sure Diaby could do with putting a bit extra work in, make up for lost time!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Well maybe Chambers alongside Diaby, Cazorla and Ozil then, see how that works.

Sure Diaby could do with putting a bit extra work in, make up for lost time!

Doubt AW will move Chambers from RB and Wenger said on Saturday that Diaby isn't ready.

So really our midfield picks itself - Rosicky, Wilshire, Ozil, Sanchez and Ox/Cazorla with Welbeck up front.

Scences on Wednesday night if Per or Kos gets injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Scences on Wednesday night if Per or Kos gets injured
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I believe he means scenes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think he means séance

edit:or maybe not - although a good séance may get the undead to help us

• Advertisement

Wenger said that Diaby is not ready yet so forget about him for Wed.

I expect to see Chamberlain on the right Cazorla and Ozil in the middle and Sanchez on the left. Flamini in behind and Wellbeck up front alone and lonely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement