Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

At home on Wednesday I'm sure he'll see plenty of Ozil, Sanchez, Chamberlain and Cazorla, I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Wenger said that Diaby is not ready yet so forget about him for Wed.

I expect to see Chamberlain on the right Cazorla and Ozil in the middle and Sanchez on the left. Flamini in behind and Wellbeck up front alone and lonely.

Everytime I see Cazorla and Ozil on the same starting 11 I immediately get very worried. A good few game last year neither of them turned up when they were on the pitch at the same time and we were very vulnerable. If they both clicked I am sure we would be very impressive offensively but I would worry about them tracking back after a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

farna_boy wrote: »
    Everytime I see Cazorla and Ozil on the same starting 11 I immediately get very worried. A good few game last year neither of them turned up when they were on the pitch at the same time and we were very vulnerable. If they both clicked I am sure we would be very impressive offensively but I would worry about them tracking back after a break.

There seems to be no alternative with all the injuries.
    Rosicky will probably be kept on the bench. He was so poor last week and kept giving the ball away. Our bench is very weak too now with Rosicky, Coq and Bellerin the only real experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

There seems to be no alternative with all the injuries.
    Rosicky will probably be kept on the bench. He was so poor last week and kept giving the ball away. Our bench is very weak too now with Rosicky, Coq and Bellerin the only real experience.

Rosicky needs to play imo, i wasn't aware that Wilshere is out for Wednesday?
    Rosicky needs game time bad, if we leave him out constantly he'll play Sh1t when he gets the rare run out, he's a fantastic player and gets back a lot, way more important to have him in with Ozil/Carzola and not have both of them on together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Interesting quotes from Ozil from earlier in the year about playing for Germany

BytQkmaCUAAhjEr.jpg:large

• Advertisement

Rosicky needs to play imo, i wasn't aware that Wilshere is out for Wednesday?
    Rosicky needs game time bad, if we leave him out constantly he'll play Sh1t when he gets the rare run out, he's a fantastic player and gets back a lot, way more important to have him in with Ozil/Carzola and not have both of them on together.

Wllshere may not be out. He took a heavy knock when caught by Rose in the box. he carried on playing but may be injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

greendom wrote: »
    Wllshere may not be out. He took a heavy knock when caught by Rose in the box. he carried on playing but may be injured.

Arsenal handed Jack Wilshere injury boost with news he WILL be fit to face Chelsea this weekend | @johncrossmirror http://mirr.im/1opNyU9

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Arsenal handed Jack Wilshere injury boost with news he WILL be fit to face Chelsea this weekend | @johncrossmirror http://mirr.im/1opNyU9

Not that it matters, we're still going to get thumped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wednesday

Flamini
    Sanchez - Ox - Ozil - Caz

Sunday

Flamini
    Ox - Wilshire - Ozil - Sanchez

gosplan wrote: »
    Wednesday

Flamini
    Sanchez - Ox - Ozil - Caz

Sunday

Flamini
    Ox - Wilshire - Ozil - Sanchez

Can't see Cazorla on the wing on Wed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Can't see Cazorla on the wing on Wed.

My thinking is that he won't play Sanchez and Ox on alternate wings cause of some weird idea of 'shape' that I don't get. He seems to want at least one central style player in w wide position to cut back inside all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    Not that it matters, we're still going to get thumped

I love the optimism around this place :pac:

Even though we haven't set the world on fire we seem to be missing that final bit extra to win games.

We did though play City and Spurs off the park. Chelsea May be a team in form and they may beat us but there's nothing to suggest they will thump us either.

Even though we haven't set the world on fire we seem to be missing that final bit extra to win games.

We did though play City and Spurs off the park. Chelsea May be a team in form and they may beat us but there's nothing to suggest they will thump us either.

I think its down to the heavy defeats away to these teams last year that has led to the lack of confidence.
    That and the fact that we have not strengthened at DM and have now shipped even more injuries to key midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I didn't hink we played Spurs off the park...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

efb wrote: »
    I didn't hink we played Spurs off the park...

70% possession would suggest otherwise, although the argument could be made that we done next to nothing with that possession, and we lacked genuine penetration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think its down to the heavy defeats away to these teams last year that has led to the lack of confidence.
    That and the fact that we have not strengthened at DM and have now shipped even more injuries to key midfielders.

Oh I get it we do have problems but lets at least try be glass half full until after the game :).

I sure as hell hope the team have more confidence than most in here do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

They are making out Chelsea are world beaters, they played mid table teams and Man City, who they struggled with even though they played the last half hour agaisn't ten men. The defence Chelsea have are also leaking goals. So let's stop making Chelsea out to be an unstoppable force. It be tough but not as bad as some of these so called Arsenal fans are making out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Quazzie wrote: »
    70% possession would suggest otherwise, although the argument could be made that we done next to nothing with that possession, and we lacked genuine penetration.

You are pretty miserable ain't you :pac:. You, Button and Tayto should do that Three grumpy men show, I'd go and see it. Everything is so downbeat and Arsenal are doing everything wrong.

Looper007 wrote: »
    You are pretty miserable ain't you :pac:. You, Button and Tayto should do that Three grumpy men show, I'd go and see it. Everything is so downbeat and Arsenal are doing everything wrong.

I'm normally the one giving out about other being negative, but lately every time I look at the side all I see are Wenger's faults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wouldn't believe anything on that site, it's the internet equivalent of the Daily Star.

Was it the other Looper who was posting last week? :pac:

It's a goal.com article with no quotes so I wouldn't pass any heat of it.

Although there may be an element of truth I guess simply because there is some reason why Wenger has decided to rest him, and his losing the ball has been his biggest weakness so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

One thing is for sure, we'll score goals, averaging about 3 a game and leaving in 1 a game, there'll be goals this Sunday and I'd be confident they'll be in our favour, unless Arsenal can produce a defensive master class but I'd imagine both sides are incapable, at the moment, of doing so.
    They are making out Chelsea are world beaters, they played mid table teams and Man City, who they struggled with even though they played the last half hour agaisn't ten men. The defence Chelsea have are also leaking goals. So let's stop making Chelsea out to be an unstoppable force. It be tough but not as bad as some of these so called Arsenal fans are making out.

We've played 4 of the same teams,

Villa, we both beat 3-0.
    City, ye drew at home, we drew away.
    Leicester, ye drew away, we beat at home.
    Everton, ye drew away, we beat away.

So thats 12 points available, ye got 6 and we've got 10.
    Arsenal have 1 clean sheet, Chelsea 2.
    Arsenal have 11 goals, Chelsea 19

We've let in the same amount of goals, slightly skewed by the 5 we let in against Swansea and Everton while scoring 10 in the process so not a big deal.

Both are the only unbeaten sides left in the league but I expect that record to go one way or the other on Sunday and even without Ramires and possibily Drogba, I'd reckon we'll shade it and open up a 9pt gap.

On a positive note, Drogba is out injured for the weekend.

On a positive note, Drogba is out injured for the weekend.

and Ramires, who I'd rather play in the big games as a partner to Matic and allow Cesc go to number 10 and willian wide.

Its a loss but one we should be able to absorb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Christ I'm over 7 years older than Giroud 😢

The way our players are dropping at the moment, I'm just wondering who won't be available for us after the Galatasary game tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

It’ll be a very tall order for most teams to stop Chelsea this season.
    I just think we’re not playing as well as we should be at the moment and we’d have to be at our best to get a result there.
    I’d be happy with a draw, I expect a loss.
    The narrower the better.
    A drubbing like last season is a distinct possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

efb wrote: »
    Christ I'm over 7 years older than Giroud 😢

I'm 2 years younger than you...:D

FWIW, I cant see us racking up a 3 + goals win n Sunday, that'll only happen if something like last year happens or Wenger sends out a very attacking team that are naive to their defensive duties and switches off, then we might hurt ye.

A lot depends on Costas fitness too as hes very likely to start tonight even though I'd much prefer if Remy was played and Costa rested.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I hope the team don't have the same negative opinion about the weekend otherwise we're beaten before we start.

We just need to contain them for the first 30 mins or so. Add some pace into our counter-attacks to keep them on their toes. Maintain possession and look for an opening when it comes - just don't try and force it right out of the gate

Our best 11 against theirs we'd have a good chance.
    They have a much stronger panel and have more ability to change tact if plan A is not working. We will always only have a Plan A.
    Mourinho is a much better tactician than Wenger and that will probably sway it.
    Last year showed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I hope the team don't have the same negative opinion about the weekend otherwise we're beaten before we start.

We just need to contain them for the first 30 mins or so. Add some pace into our counter-attacks to keep them on their toes. Maintain possession and look for an opening when it comes - just don't try and force it right out of the gate

It all sounds very simple, makes you wonder why we didnt change out tactics for the drubbings we took last season.

I wold love Wenger to analyze the opponent and set the team up accordingly - but he's admitted himself he doesnt do that. We're just not playing well enough at the moment to get a result at the weekend. And our vulnerability on the counter attack could really see us in trouble. I dont think its unfair to say there's real cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Chelsea are flying look unbeatable

We look shît and now have a mountain of injuries

We're going to go there and win aren't we

• Advertisement

Chelsea are flying look unbeatable

We look shît and now have a mountain of injuries

We're going to go there and win aren't we

'puter says no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We look shît

Am I the only one who thinks we played well on Saturday :pac:

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks we played well on Saturday :pac:

Second half we played a lot better

But we need to be converting when we're dominating games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Playing well is ok and good but its all about points, id rather win ugly than lose pretty at the moment

You've also got to factor its only 6 games in, given we've to play Utd and Liverpool soon too, even if we win we're not exactly home and dry after 7 games and X amount of points up over City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd.

Theres nothing handed out for being top this early and you guys know that more than most.

Its impossible to tell how we'll react after a defeat and a defeat on Sunday would throw a serious spanner into the works, IMO.

If we start half as well as we did last year we'll be flying.

• Advertisement

Gnabry back in training

Gnabry back in training

Any news on Theo? Surely he must be close once the international break is over ?

greendom wrote: »
    Any news on Theo? Surely he must be close once the international break is over ?

Back in training today too so must be very close

keano_afc wrote: »
    It all sounds very simple, makes you wonder why we didnt change out tactics for the drubbings we took last season.

I wold love Wenger to analyze the opponent and set the team up accordingly - but he's admitted himself he doesnt do that. We're just not playing well enough at the moment to get a result at the weekend. And our vulnerability on the counter attack could really see us in trouble. I dont think its unfair to say there's real cause for concern.

I think it was Ozil that said after the Villa game that they'd analysed them and knew how they'd play so maybe things have changed in this regard? I guess we'll know more when we see how we approach the Chelsea game. Not analysing an opponent might be ok when you have the quality and intelligence of the Invincibles but our current team are nowhere near that level and need a proper game plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Not analysing an opponent might be ok when you have the quality and intelligence of the Invincibles but our current team are nowhere near that level and need a proper game plan.

Exactly. When you look at that invincibles team and even our earlier teams under Wenger, the one thing we had at the back was intelligence. Winterburn, Dixon, Adams, Keown, Bould, Cole, Lauren, Campbell etc all had serious football brains, they didn't need to be told what had to be done, whereas the likes of our players of today do, especially at the back. You look at Spurs goal on Saturday, okay we lost the ball in a bad position but look were Gibbs was, in absolute no mans land on the wing and couldn't make it back in time. Not a chance you would of seen the likes of Winterburn or Cole that high up the field when the ball was deep in our half.

Quote from Wenger's presser:

"We haven't had much time to work on set-pieces but we know we want to do more with our set-pieces."

They "haven't had much time"?! We've been sh1t at set pieces for years now...wtf are they doing in training every day! Comments like that just make my blood boil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

@Arsenal

TEAM NEWS: Wilshere in squad. No Ramsey, Arteta or Diaby #AFCvGAL

Quote from Wenger's presser:

"We haven't had much time to work on set-pieces but we know we want to do more with our set-pieces."

They "haven't had much time"?! We've been sh1t at set pieces for years now...wtf are they doing in training every day! Comments like that just make my blood boil!

But then there'd be no time for all those photos of the lads having fun at the training ground. Ok yes set pieces could do with improving, but let's get our priorities right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Exactly. When you look at that invincibles team and even our earlier teams under Wenger, the one thing we had at the back was intelligence. Winterburn, Dixon, Adams, Keown, Bould, Cole, Lauren, Campbell etc all had serious football brains, they didn't need to be told what had to be done, whereas the likes of our players of today do, especially at the back. You look at Spurs goal on Saturday, okay we lost the ball in a bad position but look were Gibbs was, in absolute no mans land on the wing and couldn't make it back in time. Not a chance you would of seen the likes of Winterburn or Cole that high up the field when the ball was deep in our half.

Football is very different to those days, you put those players in this formation in todays world then the same issues exist I feel. The did well in a very different time and its hard to use them as an example of how to do it right in todays game!

Injuries from the last 10 years:

ByyWUNEIIAAN7sU.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement