Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It just doesn't seem like a smart signing to me when someone like Ospina is available who is younger and would demand much less wages.

Fair enough. But as fans we shouldn't be worried about how much wages out players are on. Most footballers are on crazy money anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Every time I hear of a story like this Casillas one, my first thought is that it's part of a contract negotiation. Ospina is after asking for a little too much, so Arsenal "leak" a story of a move for Casillas so that Ospina will see it and realise he has to back down because the club has other options.

This theory is something I've applied to most of our transfer rumours, including Khedira. He was just looking for a better contract from RM in my opinion by showing that he has options should be look to move.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

AC Milan have offered us Balotelli for 8m + Joel Campbell apparently, slow news day obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

TBH I wouldn't even do a straight swap with Campbell for Ballotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Khedira is gone from Madrid imo if not this summer next summer.

His playing time is going to be limited this season if he doesn't leave.

Only reason he stays this summer is wages if he does in the knowledge next year he can go for free and get himself a nicer deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Khedira is gone from Madrid imo if not this summer next summer.

His playing time is going to be limited this season if he doesn't leave.

Only reason he stays this summer is wages if he does in the knowledge next year he can go for free and get himself a nicer deal.
    I am confident we will get in a new DM before the window closes.

At the moment it could still be a game of chicken between Khedira and Arsenal over the wages. I can still see him deciding to take less as we get closer to the deadline and the deal being back on.

Unless chelsea come in for him - then I never liked the money grabbing whore

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Afternoon fellow Gooners,

Like the rest of you I'm getting a little impatient to see who else we will sign ... it's difficult when you have all the gutter press and spoof sites talking horeshi - ite ... however here's my ... err horseshi -ite

Things will start moving again soon
    • I believe we have Ospina signed and sealed ... forget about Casillas - doesn't make sense to pay that much (wages) for a goalkeeper who is in his twilight years
    • Thomas Vermaelen to Barcelona sooner than to Utd
    • Either Khedira, Sneiderlan or Bender as DM but sadly ... I think it will be goodbye to Santi Cazorla
    • A centre half ... it could be Nastasic ... someone who will be prepared to wait his chance to fill Mertesacker's boots
    • Joel Campbell, Akpom and Zenalem to be given their chance
    • ... a last minute deal for a World Cup player who has been under the radar ... a Frenchman perhaps ;) ...
    Things will get a bit of a jolt when some of the big hitters start selling or signing - one thing will trigger another ... I wouldn't be surprised if Reus could become available, but I don't think Arsene will go for another striker

I am confident we will get in a new DM before the window closes.

At the moment it could still be a game of chicken between Khedira and Arsenal over the wages. I can still see him deciding to take less as we get closer to the deadline and the deal being back on.

Unless chelsea come in for him - then I never liked the money grabbing whore

So in theory Chelski would have ... 27 midfielders :eek: ... can't see Mourinho signing him ... and I think he'll be found out this season (Mourinho) ... big gamble on Cesc and Costa ... I think we did better with Sanchez :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

ugsparky wrote: »
    So in theory Chelski would have ... 27 midfielders :eek: ... can't see Mourinho signing him ... and I think he'll be found out this season (Mourinho) ... big gamble on Cesc and Costa ... I think we did better with Sanchez :D

I heard Mourihno is planning on loaning Fabregas out to Vitesse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We wont be signing Khedira anyway, no need for him.

Also hes available on a free next summer, if he doesnt move now he'll pre-sign for a team in January I'd imagine or go ultra cheap in January so Real can get rid of him and get back some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'd be gutted if Santi left.

I'd be gutted if Santi left.

You and me both ... but I think Arsene will looking at our heavy defeats last year and opt for a tough midfielder ... he'll keep faith with Jack ... Santi is 29 and £15m would be good business ... but when he's good he's fcuking excellent ... so I too would be sad to see him go

... as for the French guy I speak of
    if Monreal goes with Santi as is the current speculation I think Arsene will look for Daley Blind - yeah I know he's Dutch :)

BtJGbSJCAAACuk8.jpg

Lets just keep spinning the wheel till we get something right

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

My bad it was on their Facebook page, now I see it was from their Paper Talk section, Daily Express saying 5year deal worth 1.3m a year :pac:

1.3m a year seems very cheap. Thats about 25k a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Casillas has been linked to arsenal every season I can remember.

If he's not on Mega bucks I can only see it a positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Casillas won't happen his form has dipped, he is not a guaranteed starter at Madrid and will leave for first team football.

No way will he leave Madrid to sit on our bench.

Lets just put this to bed people. Casillas is not happening he's currently on £165,000/wk, there is no way we are matching that for starts. He may decrease it if he is guaranteed a starting place but he isn't because Szczesny will be world class soon enough and if he wants to sit on the bench for £165,000/wk he has a contract with Madrid till 2017, he's more likely to sit on the bench in his hometown, with his family were they are currently situated and fight for his place at the club he's been with all his life.

In other news we've been linked with Nani, anyone wanna put that one to bed. After a great first two signings by Arsenal the papers will do anything to keep selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

In other news

Marcus Christenson @m_christenson
    BT says Nicklas Bendtner demanded nearly £40,000 a week PLUS £30k for every point picked up to join Frankfurt. They're now looking elsewhere

BT: 'The high wage demands and the picture of a nearly naked Friday Nicklas Bendtner meant there was no way back for Frankfurt' Fair enough.

What a pro :pac:

wonga77 wrote: »
    In other news

BT says Nicklas Bendtner demanded nearly £40,000 a week PLUS £30k for every point picked up to join Frankfurt. They're now looking elsewhere

BT: 'The high wage demands and the picture of a nearly naked Friday Nicklas Bendtner meant there was no way back for Frankfurt' Fair enough.

At least he is not draining our resources any more. A disgrace of a man. No ambition whatsoever. I could kinda of understand him turning down moves last year because he was on such a long contract worth an absurd amount of money at us no doubt that no one could and/or would possibly be willing match it, but this summer he is free and should be mad to sign for any club. Good riddance. Not our problem any more thank fúck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

wonga77 wrote: »
    In other news

Lord Bendtner

• Advertisement

byrneg28 wrote: »
    BtJGbSJCAAACuk8.jpg

Lets just keep spinning the wheel till we get something right

can't see the picture (NSFW) but I'm assuming it's of Danny Blind :o ... but I meant that French guy Daley :pac::pac::pac:

ugsparky wrote: »
    can't see the picture (NSFW) but I'm assuming it's of Danny Blind :o ... but I meant that French guy Daley :pac::pac::pac:

Who is actually Dutch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Southampton value Schniederlein at over £27m pounds according to the Guardian. Cannot see us matching that valuation even though i do think he would be a great signing.

Cant really blame them for slapping a massive price tag on him considering how their squad has been ripped apart this summer. Would probably need Schniederlein to force a move for it to happen id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/07/wenger-ospina-to-challenge-szczesny/

Another essential piece of business done. Really are only 1/2 signings away from a complete squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Zelalem's that annoyingly talented guy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/07/wenger-ospina-to-challenge-szczesny/

Another essential piece of business done. Really are only 1/2 signings away from a complete squad.

Ya, defiently thing this is great business. Havent seen much of him besides the world cup but his stats are good and he should provide a good competition for places.

Centre back and Central midfielder and were done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I notice some Chelsea supporters referring to Drogba as "The King"

74369961-thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wenger has confirmed the ospina signing

DM and 1/2 cbs and I'm happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I notice some Chelsea supporters referring to Drogba as "The King"

74369961-thumb.jpg

Every fan has a "king" ye can have yere king of North London. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Bookies suddenly odds on for a swap deal Joel Campbell to AC Milan With a deal involving Balotelli coming the other way - flurry of bets apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Now that we have Sanchez, if Wenger wants to take a risky punt on Balotelli, I'm fine with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Swap deals almost never happen. It's easy clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Would like to see Wenger give some of the young lads game-time during home games that we are winning comfortably at half-time. The likes of Zelalem, Hayden, Akpom etc. Nice to see us bringing these young lads along with the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Would like to see Wenger give some of the young lads game-time during home games that we are winning comfortably at half-time. The likes of Zelalem, Hayden, Akpom etc. Nice to see us bringing these young lads along with the first team.

Now, this is something I want to see!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I'd love that too in an ideal world but Wenger will be bringing along 7 experienced players who can change games on the bench each week.

He will have the sub goalkeeper, the sub centre back and sub full back. Then he will need 4 players divided between game-changing attackers and a midfielder to put on to help hold our lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Tony Leen of the Irish Examiner is suggesting that we're 10m apart in our valuation of Carvalho. They want the 34m buyout. He suggests that at present we won't budge, but that Porto may possibly give in eventually.

The advantage of having a couple of possibilities is that it gives us a stronger bargaining position, although I think we might have to wait it out a bit. Let's hope we don't just settle for what we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I'd love that too in an ideal world but Wenger will be bringing along 7 experienced players who can change games on the bench each week.

He will have the sub goalkeeper, the sub centre back and sub full back. Then he will need 4 players divided between game-changing attackers and a midfielder to put on to help hold our lead.

He only has to have one youngster at a time on the bench among the established players to make it happen. Zalelem one week and someone else the next.

Who is actually Dutch ;)

As was his Dad Danny ... I was just being gutter press - ish ... I know he's Dutch and he has been at the Ajax academy under Dennis ... he'd provide cover across the entire backline - ideal replacement for Vermaelen and natural successor to Mertesacker

• Advertisement

Who is actually Dutch ;)

As was his Dad Danny ... I was just being gutter press - ish ... I know he's Dutch and he has been at the Ajax academy under Dennis ... he'd provide cover across the entire backline - ideal replacement for Vermaelen and natural successor to Mertesacker

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

Mirror reporting Callum Chambers is done for 7m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Paj wrote: »
    Mirror reporting Callum Chambers is done for 7m

Depending on who you believe, medical was done today. Koeman reported as saying it was only rumours tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Everyone reporting it now, looks a good deal. Gnabry rumoured to be going the other way on loan which would be a great move for him and us.

Would like to see Gnabry at Southampton

I know its a ruthless sport but cant help but feel gutted for Southampton, losing everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Would that signal the end of Jenko at right back and he be our new 4th centre back? Or did he get loaned to Newcastle that time as was rumoured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I know nothing about him. Any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Jenkinson would be a disaster at centre back.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Jenkinson would be a disaster at centre back.

Time at Arsenal is finished imo

Some talk that Chambers could be the 4th choice CB and has even played CM previously, hard to tell what his purpose will be until its confirmed and we get quotes from Wenger.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement