Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

1194195196197198200»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Gus99 wrote: »
    Tony Gale (Sky) would probably call him out for sitting down, clearly lazy and disinterested

I don't think tony gale ever has anything positive to say about arsenal in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

omega man wrote: »
    I don't think tony gale ever has anything positive to say about arsenal in general.

Ya I coped that tonight too. Even when he had to say something positive he followed it up with a negative.

4-1 up his hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Ya I coped that tonight too. Even when he had to say something positive he followed it up with a negative.

4-1 up his hole

Isn't he a West Ham lad, he's not going to love us so :pac:. Gale really does like to lay into us but sure Jamie Carragher and Phil Thompson are just about the same as well, even tonight through grinded teeth Carragher had to say something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Wenger twice had a go at Sanchez for loosing the ball leading up to there goal

Brillant player but the way we play he just needs to protect the ball a little bit better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Woot!!

A decent win. Sunday is such a massive game in our season already.

Lose and we're out of really challenging for the title and it's been a poor start.

Draw and it's been a good week on a 'meh' start but we're in a good place.

Win and everything is great.

(We won't win though)

Cazorla is undropable at the moment

Everytime we played well this season he was in the team

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Cazorla is undropable at the moment

Everytime we played well this season he was in the team

I know Alexis lost the ball leading up to their goal but Carzola got caught at least 3 times last night pretty much doing the same thing and if he does that against Chelsea well....

Roaster wrote: »
    I know Alexis lost the ball leading up to their goal but Carzola got caught at least 3 times last night pretty much doing the same thing and if he does that against Chelsea well....

Didn't notice that

Id say he will be playing right wing on sundayb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Roaster wrote: »

Carzola did get caught once or twice last night. I blamed Flamini for both at first!

Its a team wide problem to be honest. We are desperate for losing the ball in our own half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Don't think the ox will start Sunday

Wilshere will replace him with santi on the wing

I thought Ox was brilliant last night and it would be very harsh for him to lose his place to Wilshere. Can see it happening though

greendom wrote: »
    I thought Ox was brilliant last night and it would be very harsh for him to lose his place to Wilshere. Can see it happening though

Fully agree with Ya

Can't see him leaving wilshere out, and I don't reall mind I think wilshere is in a bit of form

Fully agree with Ya

Can't see him leaving wilshere out, and I don't reall mind I think wilshere is in a bit of form

Yes, it's a good situation to be in, even with the injuries we have, that in certain positions we have players fighting for their places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Really looking forward to the game now on Sunday, the way some people are going on we've already lost it, so we have nothing to lose.

I think if we sit back and invite pressure we probably will lose we just don't have enough quality defensive minded players to do that.

I want to see Wenger set up similar to last night and really have a go at these, pace on the wings and Welbeck through the middle with Ozil supplying, Flamini and Wilshere hard hitting in the middle, just hammer them for the first 20 mins I'm not sure if they could handle the pressure, City pegged them back for a good 40mins and it just took guys like Hazard out of the game, we need to do something similar but take our chances, we could easily win, or lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Really looking forward to the game now on Sunday, the way some people are going on we've already lost it, so we have nothing to lose.

I think if we sit back and invite pressure we probably will lose we just don't have enough quality defensive minded players to do that.

I want to see Wenger set up similar to last night and really have a go at these, pace on the wings and Welbeck through the middle with Ozil supplying, Flamini and Wilshere hard hitting in the middle, just hammer them for the first 20 mins I'm not sure if they could handle the pressure, City pegged them back for a good 40mins and it just took guys like Hazard out of the game, we need to do something similar but take our chances, we could easily win, or lose.

Ye, same. I think the problem last year was we lost our heads big time. I want to see us take our chances and then contain them and hit them on the break. Last year we'd one or two chances before Etoo scored. Remember Giroud was clean through and hit a shot straight at Cech, Chelsea went up the other end and Etoo took his chance well. We lost our heads soon after and capitulated big time. Welbeck should be brimming with confidence so now is the chance to shine. I think we need to contain them, hit them on the break, but Matic in midfield for Chelsea is a colossal player, so we'll need to keep our shape and hope to hit them on the break with speed. We've serious pace up front now, and Chelsea through the middle wouldn't be the quickest so we need to capitalise on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Last year mou saw how Liverpool destroyed us and set Chelsea up to do the same. And it worked.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Last year mou saw how Liverpool destroyed us and set Chelsea up to do the same. And it worked.

Nobody has destroyed us this year although Dortmund was embarrassing i don't think Mou has too much to go on, if we focus on taking the front foot rather than trying to counter their tactics i think we have a great shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Ye, same. I think the problem last year was we lost our heads big time. I want to see us take our chances and then contain them and hit them on the break. Last year we'd one or two chances before Etoo scored. Remember Giroud was clean through and hit a shot straight at Cech, Chelsea went up the other end and Etoo took his chance well. We lost our heads soon after and capitulated big time. Welbeck should be brimming with confidence so now is the chance to shine. I think we need to contain them, hit them on the break, but Matic in midfield for Chelsea is a colossal player, so we'll need to keep our shape and hope to hit them on the break with speed. We've serious pace up front now, and Chelsea through the middle wouldn't be the quickest so we need to capitalise on that.

If Wenger was to go out like this and attack with speed having a very offensive team and we go on to lose, he will be blamed yet again for not applying appriopriate tactics and just playing away.

If we go out with this approach against Chelsea and in the first 10 minutes Chelsea cope with it and hit us back with same, we are fcuked.

We need a solid approach to this game not an open one, but we dont have the players to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We need to play without fear too. Sometimes in these big away fixtures we seem to freeze and give our opponents far too much respect, especially in the early stages of the game. First 20 minutes or so we should press them and not give them a minute on the ball the way Dortmund did to us a few weeks back.

A win on Sunday will be absolutely priceless to this team, it will give us the belief and swagger that we can beat anybody, which is one thing I think we lack.

Nobody has destroyed us this year although Dortmund was embarrassing i don't think Mou has too much to go on, if we focus on taking the front foot rather than trying to counter their tactics i think we have a great shot.

Don't think we were destroyed until December last year....

Soups123 wrote: »
    If Wenger was to go out like this and attack with speed having a very offensive team and we go on to lose, he will be blamed yet again for not applying appriopriate tactics and just playing away.

If we go out with this approach against Chelsea and in the first 10 minutes Chelsea cope with it and hit us back with same, we are fcuked.

We need a solid approach to this game not an open one, but we dont have the players to do it

That's what i said earlier, I rather we go out there and risk it all with a mean,fearless, opportunistic approach and lose 5-4 than sit back and try to be defensive and fail miserably, 3 or 4 nil.

There's no doubt Chelsea are better defensively than we are, But we are amazing going forward when we have the form, we could easily out score them and it's best to play to our strengths rather than try to adapt to Chelsea's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Id quite happily sit back and soak up pressure and hit them on the break. We are quite good at this still I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

Gringo180 wrote: »

A win on Sunday will be absolutely priceless to this team, it will give us the belief and swagger that we can beat anybody, which is one thing I think we lack.

a win on sunday would be massive.

I'm not optimistic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Soups123 wrote: »

Thanks for quoting me there Soups - but looks like you didn't even read my post.
    I want to see us take our chances and then contain them and hit them on the break.
    I think we need to contain them, hit them on the break
    so we'll need to keep our shape and hope to hit them on the break with speed

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Setting up like last night on Sunday would be suicidal and is exactly the approach that caused us to lose our **** last year. It's only two weeks since we used a high line against Dortmund and paid the price.

Turn our big away games into draws and our home games into wins, that's the target imo.

I think the target should be to win all of our games and not get bullied into playing a different game to suit the bigger teams, we are a big team we need to get our identity back and start playing teams off the park while taking our chances, trying to set up defensively on Sunday with 1 natural DM will be a massive mistake and will invite Chelsea to attack us and keep possession. I rather we go at them and keep on them.

Oh my god??

Last year Wenger was torn apart for his approach of attacking the big teams away from the start.

I read a few comments before the Dortmund game that we should 'go for them from the first whistle'

How short a memory do we have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I hope Arsenal come and play football, our best performances have come when a team has been open and attacking. City nullified us by kicking lumps out of the supporting 3 players to Costa, in the first half neither team were on top and it was a terrible game as the foul count was racked up.

If ye can take a leaf out of Swanseas book who turned up well up for it from the start then ye have a chance, they had 2 or 3 good chances and only took 1, the o.g. but I imagine Arsenal would be more clinical than guys like Nathan Dyer.

Last year an awful lot of games and twice this year, Swansea and Leicester, both at home, we've started slowly, a better team might punish us more than the 2 mentioned above.

I'd be amazed if we keep a clean sheet as we're a pretty open team this year and if it goes down to an end to end game it could be game of the season given the attacking talent on display.

gosplan wrote: »
    Oh my god??

Last year Wenger was torn apart for his approach of attacking the big teams away from the start.

I read a few comments before the Dortmund game that we should 'go for them from the first whistle'

I never tore Wenger apart for an attacking approach? There's a difference between attacking with Ozil and Carzola on the wings and Giroud up front with no runners or pace and attacking with 3 pacy workhorses as the front line with Ozil in behind and say Flamini and Wilshere sitting.

We didn't go at Dortmund from the start? We sat back while they dominated us and tried to get them on the counter which just did not work at all.

Oh my god??

thats yere best chance IMO, I've just posted it, we often start slowly, especailly at home, there maybe somethign in it if ye start very well.

Oh my god??

I think were caught in between a rock and a hard place. I don't think we have the players to play a containing game and on the other hand if we do play an attacking game we could be well beaten again. I really worry about Flamini on Sunday, If Debuchy wasn't injured I would of opted for Chambers in the DMF position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Personally I think both camps would be happy enough with 0-0

Chelsea dont let a rival (assuming we are one) catch up a bit on them and them and we avoid a bad defeat away to a top team.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think Chelsea are vulnerable in the same areas that we are. They have a very attack minded midfield that if we can shutdown will leave a lot of room for counter-attacking with pace behind them.

We need to focus on defending as a team and then attacking quickly on turnovers.

Strongly strongly disagree with a lot of the stuff here.

Jose's Chelsea are a big game team. We need to take a step back and look at the consequences of opening up to them. We have been defending poorly this year.

Welbeck will put in a shift in both directions. After that Ozil gets a free role and everyone else focuses on not letting people in behind.

If we're drawing at half time, then reevaluate. The 3rd quarter is our strongest period in games, nick a goal there as then counterattack.

If we don't then play for the draw. Stay 6 points behind with the home game to come.

If we concede an early goal, it's over and given the way our season is going, it's obvious that if we commit men forward, we'll concede rather than score.

Gibbs, Wilshere, the Ox and Welbeck all called up for England.

Small knee, thigh, ankle and calf niggles after hard fought Chelsea game prevent them from going perhaps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I suppose one thing to note is that this on paper is our hardest game of the season, so if we can come out of it with a point I'd be very happy

I'd say City away is the toughest game of the season for everyone, them being defending champions and all. :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd say City away is the toughest game of the season for everyone, them being defending champions and all. :o

Last year, I got a sense of inevitability around Man City, this year I'm getting that vibe from Chelsea.

It's hard to win the Premier league twice in a row these days.

I don't mind attacking let's try impose our game, were not a team to sit back and defend

What I would do though is tell Gibbs and chambers to leave the others off, don't get caught ahead of the ball to often

I think out fullbacks were the biggest reason we took them hammerings, no where to be seen for most goals

CatInABox wrote: »
    Last year, I got a sense of inevitability around Man City, this year I'm getting that vibe from Chelsea.

It's hard to win the Premier league twice in a row these days.

I think its to early to say that, not this side of Christmas anyway. Good starts arent a yard to stick to measure strong finishes generally.

We've got you guys, Utd and Liverpool in the next 5/6 games.

If we're still in and around top after that run I'd be delighted as we're away to Utd and Pool.

I'm just happy we got City away over and done with in 6 games.

• Advertisement

I don't mind attacking let's try impose our game, were not a team to sit back and defend

What I would do though is tell Gibbs and chambers to leave the others off, don't get caught ahead of the ball to often

I think out fullbacks were the biggest reason we took them hammerings, no where to be seen for most goals

Only 1 of our FBs goes driving down the line and thats usually Ivanovic, while a terrible crosser and user of the ball in general, hes a threat that pops up all to often in the opposition box and its not like hes easy to stop, hes a pretty big lad but he can be got at down the sides. Cahill or Azpilicueta are our quickest defenders not blessed with blistering pace but can get around, if theres a foot race betweem Welbeck and any of our back four I'd be backing him to leave them for dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Only 1 of our FBs goes driving down the line and thats usually Ivanovic, while a terrible crosser and user of the ball in general, hes a threat that pops up all to often in the opposition box and its not like hes easy to stop, hes a pretty big lad but he can be got at down the sides. Cahill or Azpilicueta are our quickest defenders not blessed with blistering pace but can get around, if theres a foot race betweem Welbeck and any of our back four I'd be backing him to leave them for dead.
    You're a lot more positive about Arsenal than a few of the regular posters here.

Following on from my previous post, here is what Ferguson thinks of our fullback play. I think a lot of teams target that area

Great post. Look were Gibbs was when Spurs scored there goal on Saturday, in no mans land miles up the pitch, so when we do lose the ball were way to open to a counter attack on both flanks.

dinorebel wrote: »
    You're a lot more positive about Arsenal than a few of the regular posters here.

Respectful, the drubbing last year aside, the games between us are usually close affairs through the years.

Get away from the Bridge with the unbeaten record in check, that's all that's needed.

• Advertisement

Get away from the Bridge with the unbeaten record in check, that's all that's needed.

And 3 points, not needed, but wanted and should be considered attainable.

New thread up lads, nearly at 10K.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement