Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Never thought Bradley Wright-Philips would ever become a sports star in New York City.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We're moving it about about well. Could be a couple down already though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Zelalem is getting bullied a bit so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Is it me or is John Champion being highly entertaining towards his American counter part? Chuckling at a few comments he's made.

Wenger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

keano_afc wrote: »
    Wenger out.

It's a friendly ffs

Soups123 wrote: »
    It's a friendly ffs

Sarcasm (sar-kas-um)

-noun

Harsh or bitter derision or irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Wenger has got his tactics all wrong #wengerout

Pjanic just scored a cracker from the halfway line against Utd.
    Pjanic Goal

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Sarcasm (sar-kas-um)

-noun

Harsh or bitter derision or irony.

Haha I know I was just practicing my midseason response

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Great move, unlucky not to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Lads I don't care what anyone says Wilshere is not good enough to be playing striker for us.

Wilshere was smoking there! Great save by the keeper!

Super stop that. Jack looks sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Mercantile is flooded with arsenal fans, brilliant spot

• Advertisement

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Mercantile is flooded with arsenal fans, brilliant spot

Best find for me last year missus loved it to so will make a habit of it this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wilshere has been our best player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cahill is still a dirty bstarsd.

That's two dodgy tackles from Cahill now

Cahill's had a couple of those. What's his beef?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Disgraceful how Wenger is playing Hayden and Monreal instead of Per and Koscielny...

#WengerOut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Soups123 wrote: »
    Best find for me last year missus loved it to so will make a habit of it this season

My 2nd time here, first time being the FA cup final, absolutely loving it, feel right at home.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    My 2nd time here, first time being the FA cup final, absolutely loving it, feel right at home.

Yeah me too great day out it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dorgasm wrote: »

He looks scared to try anything. Always goes for the safest pass. Needs to be doing a little more if he wants to play any part in first time football this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

CatInABox wrote: »
    Jay...sus....

They make how much per year? That's a total joke, I have seen a website like that since the mid 2000's.

Well, can't complain about the Arsenal site anymore. Well, apart from the e-ticketing side of it, although my main complaint there is that they store your passwords in plaintext, only a matter of time before someone hacks them and steals everyones passwords.

how do you know this?

Welcome back Abou! LANS!

greendom wrote: »
    dorgasm wrote: »

He looks scared to try anything. Always goes for the safest pass. Needs to be doing a little more if he wants to play any part in first time football this season

wenger was saying the other day 6 months at least before he's ready to start in the PL.

there's a lot on twitter, etc. that reckon he's been muck for a lot last season too you know.
    he's probably being overrated slightly (however high he is rated) by people who've only seen him play in pre season last year

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Anyone want to fill me in on what the score is? Not a mention yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

1-0 to NYRB

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

1-0 to NY so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

batistuta9 wrote: »
    how do you know this?

Ever forget your password for the site? They don't get you to change it, they email your old password back to you.

Only way that they could do that is if they have the password in plain text, or have the ability to decode it back to plain text easily available, either of which is pay dirt for anyone that gains access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Havent been very impressed by this showing, pre season or not.

Is anyone watching the US ESPN version of the match? The commentary is golden!

Kirby wrote: »
    Havent been very impressed by this showing, pre season or not.

You said it yourself. It's a preseason friendly, with 20 different players playing and only one 1st choice defender and one forward in the squad. Nothing really to read into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

pandaboy wrote: »
    Is anyone watching the US ESPN version of the match? The commentary is golden!

Alexi Lalas is having a worldie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

I do hope we don't see too much of Monreal this season.. especially at CB..

Giggling away. Champion is doing a stellar job, almost thought Alexei would roll some tears when Champ brought up the Arsenal trials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

Disappointing game this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lalas is only subbed in last minute to commentate, dont think hes a regular commentator.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Lalas is only subbed in last minute to commentate, dont think hes a regular commentator.
    Yeah I was thinking that. Still great to listen to, some cringeworthy moments. Great banter though, game is shocking. We've no shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

Well that wasn't very good.

Godge wrote: »
    Assuming Ospina and Chambers are signed, how does 25-man squad look now?

Overseas: Ospina, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Monreal, Rosicky, Arteta, Ozil, Cazorla, Flamini, Diaby, Podolski, Giroud, Sanchez, Sanogo, Campbell (17)

Homegrown: Szczesny, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Ramsey, Wilshere, Martinez, Walcott, Coquelin/Djourou/Miyachi (8)

Under-21: The Ox, Gnabry, Zelalem, Chambers, Hayden,

I am not sure if Miyachi qualifies as home-grown, if he doesn't he will definitely have to leave. As it is, we can only keep one of Coquelin/Miyachi/Djourou (still listed on arsenal.com) unless Martinez is sold and one of the younger goalies (Macey? Iliev?) used as cover.

As it is, we will have to sell/loan if we want to buy Khedira.

Edit: Swapping Vermaelen (overseas) for Smalling (homegrown) and dumping all of Coquelin/Miyachi/Djourou would free up a spot for Khedira/Bender.

sanogo is u21 for another year* & i doubt coq/miy would be favoured ahead of a new signing there.
    so still room for 2 players, 1 of each assuming no one goes. + like you mention martinez he could be chopped also

other u21s ox - 2y. gnabry, belerain, hayden, chambers** - all 3y, zelalem ? 10 years :pac:

* he might have to go on the A list for the CL however. even though he's u21, you need to be at the club for 2 continuous seasons as well to get on the B list
    ** same as above, i think he'll have to go on A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

batistuta9 wrote: »
    sanogo is u21 for another year* & i doubt coq/miy would be favoured ahead of a new signing there.
    so still room for 2 players, 1 of each assuming no one goes. + like you mention martinez he could be chopped also

other u21s ox - 2y. gnabry, belerain, hayden, chambers** - all 3y, zelalem ? 10 years :pac:

* he might have to go on the A list for the CL however. even though he's u21, you need to be at the club for 2 continuous seasons as well to get on the B list
    ** same as above, i think he'll have to go on A

Well spotted on Sanogo. Agree that sanogo is list a for champions league. He will never qualify as homegrown for champions league as he will only have 2 seasons at club before 21.

Think Chambers is ok, as he is two years at Southampton, so homegrown but not clubgrown.

I also left out Miquel who is over-21 for this season. We have no problem meeting homegrown quota of 8 as Szczesny, Walcott, Wilshere, Ramsey, Jenkinson, Coquelin, Miquel, Gibbs, Martinez, are all homegrown but some of them are easily culled. The problem is in finding space for an overseas signing. Sanogo to go on loan is the favoured option there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Not that bothered about a pre-season friendly, especially with so many players who will have very little to do with the first team. I am a bit worried about how little time our first 14-15 will have playing together before the Palace match. Very little pre-season for many of our players and none at all for some (Poldi, Merts & Ozil). I can imagine the team looking a little rusty for the first few matches. Hope it doesn't cost us in the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Sorry didn't get to watch the match and cant exactly make it out from the lineup but who played striker was it cazorla?? Too bad we didn't win but fair play to wright phillips scoring against a team his dad is a legend of!

Always kinda liked the ny red bulls to be honest so not too put off by this loss :)

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ever forget your password for the site? They don't get you to change it, they email your old password back to you.

Only way that they could do that is if they have the password in plain text, or have the ability to decode it back to plain text easily available, either of which is pay dirt for anyone that gains access.

i have a couple of times, can't remember though but i'm after checking it & they send a new one.

they must've changed it when they got the site upgraded last summer or whenever it was. looks like it's all outsourced anyway too now, maybe they were doing it themselves before (hosts, designers, are at the bottom of the pages)

Godge wrote: »
    Well spotted on Sanogo. Agree that sanogo is list a for champions league. He will never qualify as homegrown for champions league as he will only have 2 seasons at club before 21.

Think Chambers is ok, as he is two years at Southampton, so homegrown but not clubgrown.

I also left out Miquel who is over-21 for this season. We have no problem meeting homegrown quota of 8 as Szczesny, Walcott, Wilshere, Ramsey, Jenkinson, Coquelin, Miquel, Gibbs, Martinez, are all homegrown but some of them are easily culled. The problem is in finding space for an overseas signing. Sanogo to go on loan is the favoured option there.

Chambers - he'll be OK for CL homegrown yeah. though to get on the B list he needs 2 years at arsenal. oxlade-chamberlain had to go on the A list before. not the worst problem but still not

yeah sanogo on loan or just one of arteta/flamini with a new DM

back to PL what you said about swapping vermaelen for smalling or someone like that would be ideal i think too, space for 2 non HG then. a DM & another forward.
    though i'd actually be surprised if everyone you listed is still at the club come the end of the window, talking about first teamers & not including jenks. going on loan either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd rather keep Tommy V and let him go on a free next year, Smalling is muck and we're due an injury to Dave or Per

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

AdamD wrote: »
    I'd rather keep Tommy V and let him go on a free next year, Smalling is muck and we're due an injury to Dave or Per

Yup or let him go to Barca.

Not Utd though.

We don't have to sell him. He'll profit from staying around for another year too as he'll get much higher wages next year.

Ospina Confirmed

Great bit of business but having watched a lot of this guy. His catching statistics are quite low, but a great shot stopper nonetheless. EPL will be a difference for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement