Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

Lads i suppose if AW was to pick a team based on the level of support they give AFC then im pretty sure i could do a good job in that defensive midfield role :pac:

greendom wrote: »
    Bottom line is though that a player's career is short and precarious. If they feel (RVP, Nasri, etc) that they can do better elsewhere, I don't think they should be seen as traitors to the cause.

Just as the club should not be seen as disloyal when it decides that it can do better than a particular player it has on the books

As Jon Kenny said in Father Ted, 'Ah sher dats d'bizness like, in'n'outta doors n'giddy up!' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Tottenham getting Schneiderlin and Rodriguez. They are having a great summer too in fairness. Poor Southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

At least we're buying a Southampton player on potential. There's no way 6/7 of their team are ready to start for top 4 clubs, they came 8th ffs.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Tottenham getting Schneiderlin and Rodriguez. They are having a great summer too in fairness. Poor Southampton

Feel bad for their fans but it would seem that Pottechino knew exactly what was coming back in January when Cortese resigned so decided it was the best time to jump ship himself. These new gangsters in charge are stripping the club bare. Only 2 signings with 8 of their top players having departed (Granted Dani Osvaldos stint was a bit untenable). If Waynama returns to form after his injury there is no doubt that he'll be the next to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Still not seeing anywhere reliable that Jenko has gone and I am waiting to see that.

Hoping its not true because I still think the lad has real potential and a loan will do him good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Now we need a really big one Arsene so keep the cheque book handy, a defensive midfielder please.
    Then we can mount a serious challenge.

Button, one of those rare things that has unified us.

I just don't get it.

Stop being so Goddamn negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I think I'll actually be relieved if we don't get Schneiderlin, have a feeling he might have reached his level and it's a level that probably won't win us titles. If Wenger goes for a DM, I reckon it will be a big one. It's the last piece of the jigsaw now and he still has plenty of funds left.

• Advertisement

Now we need a really big one Arsene so keep the cheque book handy, a defensive midfielder please.
    Then we can mount a serious challenge.

Khedira or Bender? since Schneiderlinn is now apparently no longer an option.

Khedira or Bender? since Schneiderlinn is now apparently no longer an option.

Never saw William Carvalho playing but I liked the write-ups I read about him.
    He seems big and strong and someone likened him to a mix of Yaya and Vieira.
    He is young too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2138595-arsenal-william-carvalho-is-the-answer-to-gunners-midfield-transfer-conundrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Just because you are loyal to a club does not mean you should never lose your place with them, hell i would be extremely loyal to Arsenal that doesn't mean i should be signed and kept on even if there are 2-3 players better than me in my position.

I didn't say we had to keep him. Just pointed out that this is how it works. Everybody in the game is a professional, their number one goal is success. Money and trophies are the two main forms of that.

You can't crap on someone for abandoning Arsenal and then cheer on when Arsenal abandons a promising young player who might just not be quite good enough. Both did it for the same reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

My reaction when I realise we've had 4 inbound transfers in the last 18 days: http://www.gfycat.com/QualifiedVigilantBlackcrappie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Really don't think and hope Jenks wont go. It makes no sense when given a run he was brilliant so much so people called for him to keep his place ahead of Sagna, he was given a 5 year contract only last season so unless something happened behind closed doors it be very un Wenger like to change his mind so suddenly about a player.

A loan may do him good but no reason to sell him especially not for the figures being quoted.

Debuchy is an upgrade on Sagna who is a few years past his best imo but is Chambers an upgrade on Jenks currently or does Wenger see Chambers as an RB who knows so far could see him as a CB or DM.

Could be all speculation.
    I think I'll actually be relieved if we don't get Schneiderlin, have a feeling he might have reached his level and it's a level that probably won't win us titles. If Wenger goes for a DM, I reckon it will be a big one. It's the last piece of the jigsaw now and he still has plenty of funds left.

Agreed it's the last piece of the jigsaw were missing and going big is what I would love to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If Jenkinson has gone which looks likely then he really has lived the dream.
    Played and scored for his boyhood club, won an FA cup and

BtpITgwCcAA0oVg.jpg

He's achieved more than most fans can dream of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jenkinson leaving would seem odd if he has 4 years left on his contract. He could do a season or two on loan and still be sold for good money if he doesn't cut the mustard, 3 million seems a ridiculously low fee for a good english player with a long contract, taking into account that clubs can charge good fees for loans of better players this would seem to be bad business.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

I think if Jenkinson does go on loan this season it could be the making of him. If he goes to Hull, he'll have Europa League football plus steady Premier League game time, and since Hull aren't exactly all that, he'll get to work on his defensive capabilities which is what people tend to doubt about him. Then, he (hopefully) comes back next June with loadsa confidence and wins his place in the side! That's the dream at least, I really flippin' want him to make the grade.

Seriously though has one credible site reported that Jenko is going permanently? I am more upset about this than I even thought I would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hopefully it will just be a loan deal for Jenkinson. 1 year? into a 5 year contract, I can't imagine that Arsene has changed his mind about him so quickly.

Joel Campbell with the squad heading to Austria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Joel Campbell with the squad heading to Austria

I reckon that's our forward line done and dusted imo, be exciting to see what Campbell can do this year could be a great addition to the squad.

Don't know much about Carvallho but a lot on Twitter are singing his praises make it happen Wenger a DM for the perfect summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Would love to get a DM and a replacement for Vermaelen (should he go) in before the Palace game and we are good to go I think. If a top striker comes available at the end of the window, we could try to nab him.

Judging from his social media etc. (I know) Joel Campbell just seems so damn happy to be there. Really like his attitude, definitely seems like somebody who is going to make the most of his talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Raf32 wrote: »
    Tottenham getting Schneiderlin and Rodriguez. They are having a great summer too in fairness.

Wouldn't say that, they have bought decent players from mid-table teams but not one of them would help to make them a top-four team.

Really can't understand letting Jenkinson go for £3 million. Aside from anything else we've downgraded on our first choice RB and the back-up may well be better long-term but I wouldn't be putting much expectations on him yet.

Don't get the bit in bold. Debuchy has pushed Sagna out of the French team.

Debuchy may not be as good as Sagna was in his heyday three/four seasons ago but the French manager is not the only one who thinks Sagna's time has gone and Debuchy's is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Considering this years excellent transfer business, do we think that maybe, regardless of the board's statements, Arsene may have been held back in his spending in windows past? It seems strange that last year we were content with free agents (flam) or just proven quality (ozil), where as the caution-to-the-wind transfer of Chambers this year and reinforcements such as Ospina this year are a surprise to most of us.

No complaints here anyway! I think Chambers is an excellent buy for the future, unfortunately Jenks just doesnt tick all the boxes to be a starter for us yet - maybe a loan will do him well - but with bellerin such a prospect and now Chambers, it doesnt look like a lot of room left for him to return even.

What do we think has changed Arsenes mind? Sponsorship Money? Consecutive 4ths? Reading the Arseblog every day like the rest of us?!

AdamD wrote: »
    Judging from his social media etc. (I know) Joel Campbell just seems so damn happy to be there. Really like his attitude, definitely seems like somebody who is going to make the most of his talent.

Well if he shows the commitment, work-rate and sheer guts evident in the WC he will be a welcome addition. Very pleased with that.

Godge wrote: »
    Don't get the bit in bold. Debuchy has pushed Sagna out of the French team.

Debuchy may not be as good as Sagna was in his heyday three/four seasons ago but the French manager is not the only one who thinks Sagna's time has gone and Debuchy's is here.
    Fair enough, but I think he was a lot more solid defensively than he was given credit for last season. I'm not gonna state it for sure but I think we were attacked a lot more down the left than the right last season for that reason. Or at least that's where many of the non-counter-attacking goals were conceded from. If someone has those stats/chalkboards handy it'd be appreciated. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I was worried that we would lose out on Sagna's heading ability but the stats seem to show Debuchy is at least as good.

Do worry that he seems to pick up yellow cards very easily. Great though that we now have Chambers in reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

• Advertisement

I can't remember ever really looking forward to an Emirates Cup before but am absolutely buzzing for this one now! Can't wait to see all the new lads in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I can't remember ever really looking forward to an Emirates Cup before but am absolutely buzzing for this one now! Can't wait to see all the new lads in action.

I just hope that Sanchez gets a run out. And Campbell too.

Watched City demolish Milan last night.
    Very impressive even without the big players.
    Balotelli was poor too. I think we are better off without him.

ZhTUWS6.jpg

Love how he still calls him "the boss"! His current manager probably doesn't though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

This popped up on my bookyface
    Just a short article on Sanchez and his upbringing, worth a look

http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/alexis-sanchez-s-brother-humberto-we-were-the-poorest-of-the-poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Wenger looks extremely gaunt of late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You are right about that. You can really see it in that photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Been on holiday all week and wouldn't ya now we sign 2 players the week im away.

Have to say im happy with the duo. Ospina is a cracking keeper and will give Szez a run for top GK.
    Chambers is a good buy and can fill multiple positions. We've spent similar money for young Southampton players before and both have turned out to be cracking signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We need to send someone on loan to Southampton with the sole job of finding out what the hell they do in their Youth Academy to be able to pump out players like this every few years. Ours needs a real kick up the arse. No reason we shouldnt be producing a few every season with at least one being good enough to stay.

• Advertisement

Mrs Ospina :)

100% Colombian

53d54f7f5cf72.png

Mrs Ospina :)

100% Colombian

53d54f7f5cf72.png

And James Rodriguez's sister...on the off chance he flops at Madrid, Wenger already has the connection set up :pac:

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    We need to send someone on loan to Southampton with the sole job of finding out what the hell they do in their Youth Academy to be able to pump out players like this every few years. Ours needs a real kick up the arse. No reason we shouldnt be producing a few every season with at least one being good enough to stay.

A few things:

We have a new guy in charge of our academy this year, so its being addressed.

Its easier to develop players when you're Southampton and able to play 18 year old full backs every game.

We're still not doing too badly. Wilshere, Szczesny and Gibbs are in the team right now and Zelalem and Gnabry look good for the future. Bellerin and Akpom have a chance too.

I think we need to get rid of some players quicker though, I mean somebody like Chuks Aneke just doesn't have a hope of making it so is probably a waste of minutes we could be giving to somebody else.

And James Rodriguez's sister...on the off chance he flops at Madrid, Wenger already has the connection set up :pac:

Holy god those Rodriguez kids are talented! :eek:

In different ways of course ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If arsenal really are interested in schneiderlin then I genuinely cannot fathom how he would prefer a move to spurs. Unless it's money I really cannot see a reason to make that choice. Vertonghen did the same but at least he would have had a battle to win a place in the team. As much as I like Arteta and Flamini, Schneiderlin would have been going into the first XI.

Chuks Aneke just doesn't have a hope of making it so is probably a waste of minutes we could be giving to somebody else.

This reminded me of someone else that got minutes against NY...Coquelin. If he hasn't made it by now, he surely won't. Not sure what was the point of wasting a squad place on him when we could have brought another young player for the experience.

• Advertisement

If arsenal really are interested in schneiderlin then I genuinely cannot fathom how he would prefer a move to spurs. Unless it's money I really cannot see a reason to make that choice. Vertonghen did the same but at least he would have had a battle to win a place in the team. As much as I like Arteta and Flamini, Schneiderlin would have been going into the first XI.

Might really like Pocchetino :pac:

Fair enough, but I think he was a lot more solid defensively than he was given credit for last season. I'm not gonna state it for sure but I think we were attacked a lot more down the left than the right last season for that reason. Or at least that's where many of the non-counter-attacking goals were conceded from. If someone has those stats/chalkboards handy it'd be appreciated. :P

I just don't get the people moaning about our signings.

Ospina is an upgrade on Fabianski
    Campbell is an upgrade on Bendtner
    Debuchy is an upgrade on Sagna.
    Sanchez and Chambers are additions to the squad (unless Jenks goes and Chambers is an upgrade on him).

Even without a Khedira/Bender/Kallstrom(:eek:), we have had the best transfer window since the last Campbell joined us.

He wanted a guarantee of first-team football - Wenger doesn't give those, it is only small teams and squads that can guarantee first-team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Actually forgot about Pochettino, might be a factor alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

A few things:

We have a new guy in charge of our academy this year, so its being addressed.

Its easier to develop players when you're Southampton and able to play 18 year old full backs every game.

We're still not doing too badly. Wilshere, Szczesny and Gibbs are in the team right now and Zelalem and Gnabry look good for the future. Bellerin and Akpom have a chance too.

I think we need to get rid of some players quicker though, I mean somebody like Chuks Aneke just doesn't have a hope of making it so is probably a waste of minutes we could be giving to somebody else.

Chamberlain and Chambers were both fully produced by Southampton, Walcott was snapped up very early so they deserve most of the credit for him too. Our only player like that is Wilshere. Even Gibbs and Szczesny were signed from other Youth Academies. We can take partial credit but not full. Southampton have produced more of our first team than we have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement