Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

Godge wrote: »
    I just don't get the people moaning about our signings.

Ospina is an upgrade on Fabianski Squad
    Campbell is an upgrade on Bendtner Signing?
    Debuchy is an upgrade on Sagna. Slight, open to debate
    Sanchez and Chambers are additions to the squad (unless Jenks goes and Chambers is an upgrade on him). Sanchez is a first teamer.

Even without a Khedira/Bender/Kallstrom(:eek:), we have had the best transfer window since the last Campbell joined us.
    One player into the first 11 despite all the activity. Forgive me if other than the Sanchez signing I'm not jumping for joy and delirious about how we're definitely winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

One player into the first 11 despite all the activity. Forgive me if other than the Sanchez signing I'm not jumping for joy and delirious about how we're definitely winning the league.

I'd probably have a stroke if I seen you jumping for joy to be honest.

Quazzie wrote: »

I'd probably have a heart attack if one of your digs was actually funny for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Quazzie wrote: »

He is right though.

Arsene has to do a lot more to stop a repeat of those 7-1, 5-0, score lines.

We need a top class DM and CB minimum from this window

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Think you are missing the point. Sanchez signed and the squad has been totally bolstered. Ramsey and Walcott fit. Options all over and it seems we are in for one more hugely influential signing.

Last year on the wings we had Podolski and Rosicky at one stage and no pace because of injuries.

We now have Walcott, Campbell, Sanchez and the Ox to cover that. We can play Sanchez through the middle when required like in big games with one of the best no. 10's in the world supplying him.

Had we kept Ramsey fit and Walcott fit last season who knows what might have happened??

If they get injured we will bring in Campbell, Ox or play Ssanchez there.

They are huge differences. If you cant or don't want to see that well then fair enough. But don't knock everyone elses optimism when there has been a clear and hugely significant advancement in terms of Arsenal's ability to compete and evidence of that been utilised by one of the best managers in the game.

Not winning the league this year is not a failure. Not competing is. But we are truly back at the top table now.

Think you are missing the point. Sanchez signed and the squad has been totally bolstered. Ramsey and Walcott fit. Options all over and it seems we are in for one more hugely influential signing.

Last year on the wings we had Podolski and Rosicky at one stage and no pace because of injuries.

We now have Walcott, Campbell, Sanchez and the Ox to cover that. We can play Sanchez through the middle when required like in big games with one of the best no. 10's in the world supplying him.

Had we kept Ramsey fit and Walcott fit last season who knows what might have happened??

If they get injured we will bring in Campbell, Ox or play Ssanchez there.

They are huge differences. If you cant or don't want to see that well then fair enough. But don't knock everyone elses optimism when there has been a clear and hugely significant advancement in terms of Arsenal's ability to compete and evidence of that been utilised by one of the best managers in the game.

Not winning the league this year is not a failure. Not competing is. But we are truly back at the top table now.
    Other than Sanchez what's the difference? Are we expecting a sudden stop to injuries this year? One extra injury compared to last year and it's the same situation.
    The back 4 is of similar standard to last year and so far the obvious weakness in front of them hasn't been addressed, if anything another year on Flamini and Arteta's legs is a disimprovement.

I know, I know, you all trust Wenger his ultimate plan to win nothing for ages then win an FA Cup followed by "competing" is coming to fruition. Trouble is that baseless theories about players doing completely different things to before have been around for the last 10 years with Arsenal and then the next summer the same thing happens.

If we finally have a nice injury-free season with the current squad we'll "compete" the same as we did last year. Until the soft midfield is sorted though I'm not optimistic of anything better than a solid Top 4 finish. I said last year that we failed because it was the year to push on, imagine some sensible spending even at Christmas last year and where we could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Someone posted this on reddit, our squad depth as of now. Pretty impressive and might put things in perspective to some people.

oGY7iWG.png

dorgasm wrote: »
    Someone posted this on reddit, our squad depth as of now. Pretty impressive and might put things in perspective to some people.

oGY7iWG.png

First 11: Sanchez is an upgrade, Debuchy debatable.
    Second 11: Improvement in 'keeper (I'm not convinced it's a massive one), added a 19 year old CB.

Again, other than Sanchez I just don't see where this massive improvement is supposed to be.

Second 11: Improvement in 'keeper (I'm not convinced it's a massive one), added a 19 year old CB.

Again, other than Sanchez I just don't see where this massive improvement is supposed to be.

If Wenger brings in a DM, I find it hard to see how else he could have improved the squad without selling everyone and starting fresh. I know it's optimistic but I hope we can go through this season relatively injury free. The main reason our squad always ends up looking bare is injuries. The world cup won't have helped but I think having a new conditioning coach and the shorter pre-season for the non-world cup players will only help in that regard.

What do you think still needs to be done? What would you rate our transfer dealing out of 10 so far as a matter of interest? I'd personally give an 8/10, bumped up to a 9/10 should a top quality DM be brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Look how close we came last year. No crippling injuries like Ramsey and Walcott, plus Sanchez and we should easily close that gap. A top DM and we'll do even better.

• Advertisement

If Wenger brings in a DM, I find it hard to see how else he could have improved the squad without selling everyone and starting fresh. I know it's optimistic but I hope we can go through this season relatively injury free. The main reason our squad always ends up looking bare is injuries. The world cup won't have helped but I think having a new conditioning coach and the shorter pre-season for the non-world cup players will only help in that regard.

What do you think still needs to be done? What would you rate our transfer dealing out of 10 so far as a matter of interest? I'd personally give an 8/10, bumped up to a 9/10 should a top quality DM be brought in.

DM would bring it up to an 8, striker along with that 9.5. Not expecting a striker any more, nor is anyone else, lovely bit of expectations management from the club :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Does anyone know if the Emirates Cup is on tv this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

DM would bring it up to an 8, striker along with that 9.5. Not expecting a striker any more, nor is anyone else, lovely bit of expectations management from the club :P

Sanchez is a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    He is right though.

Arsene has to do a lot more to stop a repeat of those 7-1, 5-0, score lines.

We need a top class DM and CB minimum from this window
    No he isn't. Our starting XI didn't let us down last year. Our lack of squad depth did. Where would you fit a top class CB into our starting XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

This is frustrating. Finally the club spends the money that we've been all longing for and now people are moaning at what we've spent it on.

The players probably aren't available that Wenger wants right now and remember it is only July. We also have Joel Campbell back (which I think should be classified as a new signing)

I mean I think that first line up personally is sensational. With the possibility of removing Arteta and replacing with another player as I feel he's brilliant but I think a tall, strong midfielder who has a brain to distribute (Busquets type) would be perfect in there.

The squad depth means if we're injury free we can challenge for all sorts of honours Carling Cup, FA Cup and Champions League!

Okay we are not on the level of Chelsea, Manchester City yet but Wenger's project has only been completed and now he has 6 more transfer windows to spend in before his contract is up, as I said it's only July in his first proper transfer window with funds... I think he's done quite well. When you add up we've spent about just 60mil. Manchester United have spent the same on an unfit Luke Shaw and an unproven/non-experienced/non-international Ander Herrera

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

maybe on sky? im going on sunday btw

oGY7iWG.png

Added to that Rosicky, Diaby and Campbell aren't even included in that 22. Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

its on BT Sports

I'm at a loss as to how many players people thought the first 11 needed.

We can all agree on a new DMF but beyond that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

gosplan wrote: »

If Vermaelen stays then I guess yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Keeping players fit is the key, as someone mentioned on this before, the new German Team fitness coach we're getting could be the most important signing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Now bare with me, just an idea, if we don't sign a DM and we keep Vermaelen and maybe add another CB how would you feel about adopting a 3-5-2 kind of formation? http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=3wx6d Similar to this?

Now bare with me, just an idea, if we don't sign a DM and we keep Vermaelen and maybe add another CB how would you feel about adopting a 3-5-2 kind of formation? http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=3wx6d Similar to this?

Not for me. Way too many holes to pick at there I think. The left hand side would worry me greatly between Vermaelen and Gibbs and by extension I think Mert would suffer terribly too. I think 3 at the back would make Mert redundant.

Not for me. Way too many holes to pick at there I think. The left hand side would worry me greatly between Vermaelen and Gibbs and by extension I think Mert would suffer terribly too. I think 3 at the back would make Mert redundant.

Yeah it wouldn't be for a lot of people but i think it would be something at least worth experimenting with, i think mert would have a lot more freedom in the sweeper role and would take the pressure of kosc and verm a bit, i wouldn't worry too much about the left hand side with wilshere helping out and mert for cover.

3 at the back with wilshere and ramsey helping out and ofc gibbs and debuchy would be quite strong i think. As far as attacking well i think it's very strong, giroud has sanchez to link up with there's debuchy and gibbs who both like getting forward, ozil to pull the strings and ramsey/wilshere making runs, i dunno just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Another email yesterday offering me a season ticket. 3 one this summer.

Surprised they are still available considering how god like we are gonna be next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I think Wilshere has the quality to play a more defensive game but I'd question his discipline and smarts to play the DM role tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Added to that Rosicky, Diaby and Campbell aren't even included in that 22. Not bad.

I'm worried that we might start the season with Flamini and Arteta as DM's.
    They are too slow now for me.
    We get a proper DM and i'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm worried that we might start the season with Flamini and Arteta as DM's.
    They are too slow now for me.
    We get a proper DM and i'm happy.

Think everyone is on the same page there. Signs still pointing towards us getting one fortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think Wilshere has the quality to play a more defensive game but I'd question his discipline and smarts to play the DM role tbh

I don't rate the defensive side of his game at all. Wouldn't like to see him with much in the way of defensive responsibilty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Outside of Giroud (and only because no alternative was available) the two most important players in the squad spent a huge chunk of last season injured. Ramsey being the teams best player and Walcott the only one with any pace to unlock teams. People have the right to be optimistic because the squad has been added to as well as one world class player for the first XI, with the returning players to be (dare I say it) like new signings. Seriously though, injuries happen but it would take some monumental bad luck for those two same players to miss half the season again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Haven't followed this thread at all recently, so my apologies if this has been readily discussed.

But what are most people's thoughts on in terms of signing another striker?

For me, I think you are possibly covered, when you consider Podolski, Walcott (who did excellent there in a the 5 games or so he managed before injury last year), and Sanchez have all excelled in central positions at stage, or another.

The signing Arsenal perhaps need most, would be the old cliche, the defensive midfielder. Has it all quietened down on the Khedira front?

Spurs are signing Schneiderlin, who I rate highly and could have been an interesting punt, even if the price seems high. He'd certainly have fit in at Arsenal. Lars Bender is another name who was linked in windows gone by, but I've heard nowt on recently.

Aside from that, can only really see potentially full back being a problem, as I've never rated Debuchy. Far too rash and headstrong. But if Chambers signs, and Jenkinson in reserve, that would seem to be another position covered.

Not much more you can ask for then, really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Knex. wrote: »
    Haven't followed this thread at all recently, so my apologies if this has been readily discussed.

But what are most people's thoughts on in terms of signing another striker?

For me, I think you are possibly covered, when you consider Podolski, Walcott (who did excellent there in a the 5 games or so he managed before injury last year), and Sanchez have all excelled in central positions at stage, or another.

The signing Arsenal perhaps need most, would be the old cliche, the defensive midfielder. Has it all quietened down on the Khedira front?

Spurs are signing Schneiderlin, who I rate highly and could have been an interesting punt, even if the price seems high. He'd certainly have fit in at Arsenal. Lars Bender is another name who was linked in windows gone by, but I've heard nowt on recently.

Aside from that, can only really see potentially full back being a problem, as I've never rated Debuchy. Far too rash and headstrong. But if Chambers signs, and Jenkinson in reserve, that would seem to be another position covered.

Not much more you can ask for then, really?

I wouldn't mind another CF but can't see it happening so I'm happy with Sanchez and bringing Campbell back. Sanchez's versatility is a great asset imo.

DMF is definitely next on the list in terms of priority. Gone quiet on Khedira but being linked to William Carvahlo a bit now too. Nothing really on Bender recently but Wenger seems to be a fan.

Chambers has already signed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

For sure, if we can make this signing then anyone having a moan after that will never be happy. If most people were asked what they would like from this summer it would have been;
    • Fitness looked at (tick)
    • Striker added (tick)
    • Because Sagna was leaving a new RB (tick)
    • New GK (tick)
    • New DM (pending)
    • Marguee signing (tick)
    • Keep our best players (tick so far)
    • 4th choice CB (pending)
    that is exceptional work for July 29th, I really believe a quality DM will come also and thats the icing on the cake for me, if it doesnt happen then I'll be disapointed

Soups123 wrote: »
    For sure, if we can make this signing then anyone having a moan after that will never be happy. If most people were asked what they would like from this summer it would have been;
    • Fitness looked at (tick)
    • Striker added (tick)
    • Because Sagna was leaving a new RB (tick)
    • New GK (tick)
    • New DM (pending)
    • Marguee signing (tick)
    • Keep our best players (tick so far)
    • 4th choice CB (pending)
    that is exceptional work for July 29th, I really believe a quality DM will come also and thats the icing on the cake for me, if it doesnt happen then I'll be disapointed

I assume you mean disappointed in the lack of DM and not with our overall dealings in the window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

When was the last time Arsenal has made this many transfers, and have a rather tasty looking squad by this time of the summer.
    I haven't felt this assured about the squad since I was a kid, even the season of the Invincibles, I had some doubts that summer before. DM or not for the beginning of the season - we still have Flamini and Arteta. And as we've seen from last season's improvement (thank you Bouldy), our players know how to track back and play a defensive game. The biggest reason for a DM, imo, is to cover Mert if he pushes up and gets caught on the break. It's happened quite a few times, and I think it's what showed Kos's strength as a defender. His coverage improved.

Crystal Palace first game with a team consisting of Gibbs/Monreal-Vermaelen/Kos-Mert-Debuchy-Arteta/Flamini covering defensive positions. I'm being honest, I'm not worried and we all know how close to the wire Wenger can bring transfers. If everyone can stay fit then there shouldn't be disappointment to the fact that we do not have a DM just yet.

Again, just my own opinion but this has been the best summer for us in transfers since 2002-2004.

Also, having watched Chambers'videos and snippets form last season. He's a much fuller full back than Jenks'. His attacking play, technical ability and height for headers looked impressive. Jenks will improve with more play though and I recommend a loan than a transfer. Chambers looks to be great CB potential - almost like Vermaelen when he first came to the club. And he's just a young ún.

L'Equipe are reporting that Giroud is set to sign a 2 year extension of his contract, taking it up to 2018. Good news if it happens.

Just one to consider lads. I would love another DM, young athletic and all the good attributes needed.

But I think Arteta is being written off a little too much? He had some brilliant games last year and particularly along with Ramsey. There was times he was pressed hard and struggled for legs. He still very very good and important in that position.

Also another thing is there an argument that Sanchez and the returning Walcott will alleviate some pressure on our DM this year. I may be way off here but we had zero pace threat most of last year. Teams were happy to push up on us knowing we had feck all in behind. Is there a case to be made that Walcott and Sanchez will stop the big teams doing this perhaps?

I assume you mean disappointed in the lack of DM and not with our overall dealings in the window?

Yep I think a DM moves us into serious contentender category. Its the only position on the team where I see weakness

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

Agree with the last post. Big-Mike has been a very important player for us and will be again this season.

I also think people have completely written off the Flamster without, it would seem, any real cause or good reason other than they just "want" someone new in the that position. Like Arteta, he had some brilliant games for us last season (particularly in the first part of the season). Yes, he got a bit reckless with his challenges in the second part of the season but you would hope that he has learned his lesson and won't fall into those traps as much again. I just find it ridiculous how people are calling out for a DM when we have Flaimini - I was delighted when he came back to the club on Bosman last summer. There is no questioning his passion, work-rate and aggression. One would say these are the key attributes for a DM, no?

Just one to consider lads. I would love another DM, young athletic and all the good attributes needed.

But I think Arteta is being written off a little too much? He had some brilliant games last year and particularly along with Ramsey. There was times he was pressed hard and struggled for legs. He still very very good and important in that position.

Also another thing is there an argument that Sanchez and the returning Walcott will alleviate some pressure on our DM this year. I may be way off here but we had zero pace threat most of last year. Teams were happy to push up on us knowing we had feck all in behind. Is there a case to be made that Walcott and Sanchez will stop the big teams doing this perhaps?

Very valid point, I mentioned a while back the DM doesnt fix the issue with the goals conceded last year and the games we collapsed was tactical and mindset. With the pace we are no injecting teams cannot press us as much. The threat of a Sanchez, Ozil, Theo, Ox break will naturally force teams to hold the squeeze.

A controlled commanding DM will keep the attack minded players in control when we need to tuck in and rid out.

• Advertisement

Snatchy wrote: »
    Agree with the last post. Big-Mike has been a very important player for us and will be again this season.

I also think people have completely written off the Flamster without, it would seem, any real cause or good reason other than they just "want" someone new in the that position. Like Arteta, he had some brilliant games for us last season (particularly in the first part of the season). Yes, he got a bit reckless with his challenges in the second part of the season but you would hope that he has learned his lesson and won't fall into those traps as much again. I just find it ridiculous how people are calling out for a DM when we have Flaimini - I was delighted when he came back to the club on Bosman last summer. There is no questioning his passion, work-rate and aggression. One would say these are the key attributes for a DM, no?

Arteta, yes a great player, and would be fantastic to have as cover for a world class DM. Flamini, you must be joking? If DM wasn't an issue nobody would be talking about it, it's our biggest weakness and Flamini simply isn't good enough to play there for a team like Arsenal, if we want to be serious contenders we need better than Flamini, you have to be able to see that.

Arteta, yes a great player, and would be fantastic to have as cover for a world class DM. Flamini, you must be joking? If DM wasn't an issue nobody would be talking about it, it's our biggest weakness and Flamini simply isn't good enough to play there for a team like Arsenal, if we want to be serious contenders we need better than Flamini, you have to be able to see that.

I wouldn't say Flamini isn't good enough for a team like Arsenal. He's done very well since coming back and I'd definitely like him as a back up. My main reason for wanting a new DM now to replace Flamini is the fact his contract runs out at the end of this season and it looks like he doesn't want to take up the option of a 3rd year. Getting in a DM this season will give us good depth in that area before he leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Shad Forsyth is in Austria I'm excited by this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Sorry just to add to the point about the DM and people thinking that this transfer window hasn't 'improved'

As I have said and other people, it is only the 29th of July, remember how long the Sanchez deal took and even Debuchy?

Wenger said after the Boreham Wood game his number 1 priority was goalkeeper (which he has acquired) and then he will continue to look at defensive midfielders

As well as this David Ornstein in nearly every tweet has stated that Wenger is still in for a DMF. He's working on it, it's July, expect something in the next few weeks. The reason the papers have given up is because they don't expect Arsenal to sign anyone and come up with vicious spiraling rumors that just make punters read their s**t and sell a paper.

Now that Arsenal are actually signing players, well they've given up and moved to what's in John Terry's washbag.

We are in for a DMF, I don't know who it is but as you know the papers always get it wrong and Arsenal are an extremely private club (which I am happy about) when it happens we will be linked the day before, a tweet will go up for Ornstein and we'll most likely be completing it within that week

I wouldn't say Flamini isn't good enough for a team like Arsenal. He's done very well since coming back and I'd definitely like him as a back up. My main reason for wanting a new DM now to replace Flamini is the fact his contract runs out at the end of this season and it looks like he doesn't want to take up the option of a 3rd year. Getting in a DM this season will give us good depth in that area before he leaves.

Well i would not be happy seeing his name on the team sheet, not so sure any United/City/Chelsea/Barca fans would either. 3 caps for France aswell, which is an argument someone used in here for Mathieu not being good enough for Barca.

BTW just saw a pic of Chambers wearing the no.5 could be nothing, but has me worried over verm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It might not mean anything, or it could be a sign that TV is leaving, but there's a picture of Calum Chambers wearing the no 5 training jersey in the training camp. He's meant to be wearing 21.

gun__1406637717_chambers_training.jpg

Sanchez is a striker.
    Hence why we paid £30 million for him and everyone expects him out wide? Good one.
    fat-straws1.jpg

:pac:

Well i would not be happy seeing his name on the team sheet, not so sure any United/City/Chelsea/Barca fans would either. 3 caps for France aswell, which is an argument someone used in here for Mathieu not being good enough for Barca.

No I used it to say that the 20 million paid for him was over-priced. Flamini was brought in on a free.

He has been an important player for our squad, but I wouldn't want to become over-reliant on him.

CatInABox wrote: »
    It might not mean anything, or it could be a sign that TV is leaving, but there's a picture of Calum Chambers wearing the no 5 training jersey in the training camp. He's meant to be wearing 21.

Talk that there are no pics of TV in training either...

• Advertisement

Hence why we paid £30 million for him and everyone expects him out wide? Good one.

Whatever.

He is a striker. It actually doesn't matter though.

Before the summer we needed (in about this order)

1: Striker
    2: RB
    3: Backup goalie
    4: Backup CB
    5: CMF

We've signed 4 out of five before August but obviously you're going to have a moan.

Just for everyone else here, can you list what you would like to see done before the window shuts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement