Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I'd be happy with a good CDM and another CB wheter Tommy stays or goes, that's it really, good work so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If Vermaelen and Campbell stay, we can take our time getting the right DM, only position we need, then we are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I am sure a new DMF will be in.

At this stage I expect TV to be gone. He would be with the squad today if he was staying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Raf32 wrote: »
    If Vermaelen and Campbell stay, we can take our time getting the right DM, only position we need, then we are good to go.

I don't mind startin the season with arteta we can leave our persuit of a CM go right to the wire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I don't mind startin the season with arteta we can leave our persuit of a CM go right to the wire

I dont mind for the Palace game but would like to see a new one in by Everton. We have a tough start so need to integrate all the new players in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd put Flamini over Arteta but both are on the way down so we need someone to push them from starters to squad players.

CB if Vermaelen leaves, otherwise we're sorted in my mind unless someone like Özil becomes available again.

Good luck lads. Once again the circle-jerkery bull**** and moving goalposts has come along and it's impossible to actually debate with people behaving like idiots. Apparently a DM wasn't in the top 4 things we needed this season and a few of you agree so really there's just no point in engaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

We definitely do need a DM but that doesn't mean we should take anything away from what we've achieved so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Is Vermaelen not injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Good luck lads. Once again the circle-jerkery bull**** and moving goalposts has come along and it's impossible to actually debate with people behaving like idiots. Apparently a DM wasn't in the top 4 things we needed this season and a few of you agree so really there's just no point in engaging.

I don't understand why you're throwing your toys out of the pram. I think everyone agrees we need a DM. We're just prepared to wait a bit longer for it to happen or not before giving out about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No, I said in 'about this order'. If you think a CMF/DMF was further up the list than it may well be.

Personally, I thought the number one problem last year was pace up front to help Giroud out/pose more if a threat to organised teams.

Then Bac and Fabianski HAD to be replaced. Otherwise you'd be running huge risks.

But that's just my opinion.

As I said, can you tell us what should be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

We definitely do need a DM but that doesn't mean we should take anything away from what we've achieved so far.

This. We've needed a DM for a number of years now but I'm nonetheless very impressed with our business thus far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

gosplan wrote: »

Before the summer we needed (in about this order)

1: Striker
    2: RB
    3: Backup goalie
    4: Backup CB
    5: CMF

We've signed 4 out of five before August but obviously you're going to have a moan.

Just for everyone else here, can you list what you would like to see done before the window shuts?

I think I'd have Striker/Forward at the top but then I think the DMF is a close second. Obviously a GK and RB are essential as replacements but for me are less likely to suffer if a world class player isn't signed in those positions.

For striker nad DMF a world class player is essential. No youngsters, no player for the future. Just players who are proven at the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gosplan wrote: »
    Whatever.

He is a striker. It actually doesn't matter though.

Before the summer we needed (in about this order)

1: Striker
    2: RB
    3: Backup goalie
    4: Backup CB
    5: CMF

We've signed 4 out of five before August but obviously you're going to have a moan.

Just for everyone else here, can you list what you would like to see done before the window shuts?

For me a DM and Striker were the two biggest needs, not sure if CMF is the same as DM but I wouldnt have it 5th in order of priority.

I also am very confident Wenger will make a substancial signing in this position before the window closes, we dont need it in place for kick off though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

:pac::pac::pac::pac: nonsense post.

Everyone agrees a DM is needed but so far this has been a fantastic window brought in exactly what we need and all indications are we are looking for a DM with plenty of time left in window to do that.

But sure don't mind that piss and moan about it ignore the brilliant work done so far this window and label the fact no one agrees with you "idiots" the irony of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Hold on now a second and lets be realistic about this. Gosplan is correct in what he is saying. A DM while highly desirable was 4th in terms of priority and being essential.

We lost our 1st choice right back. Absolutely essential we brought in someone there. So that beats a DM in terms of priority.

A top class forward like Sanchez. I think everyone would agree we needed this much more than a DM given that we have two. So that beats a DM in terms of priority also.

You can argue rather legitimately that a backup GK and another DM are more important than the other but I would say this - we saw the importance of a quality backup last year. Secondly - would you rather to have Martinez as 2nd choice or a 3rd option at DM or have Ospina in and still have Arteta and Flamini? For me again the GK takes slight priority.

So in effect Arsene Wenger by the 28th of July has achieved the first 3 ESSENTIAL replacements/improvements to the squad.

We all want a DM but it is not as high up the list as the others was and there is still loads of time to get one.

I also concur with a post earlier, may have been from Soups that DM was by no means as much an issue as some have made out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I think people are forgetting we were only 7 points off top last season and there were easier matches than the infamous defeats where we could have picked up those 7. So even considering the fact the likes of manu and Chelsea have improved their squads I don't think a "massive"improvement is needed on our part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think a DM is very important now. Think it's on the list.
    I particularly want to forget a few games last year when we were over-run.
    I am very happy with our business so far and think we will be in a great position with a new very mobile and tough DM.

Campbell - big plus
    Walcott back - big plus
    Chamberlain back - big plus (but needs to focus on his defensive duties)
    Diaby back - big plus if he stays fit
    New RB - big plus, good fit too
    Replacement RB/CD - big plus, reading good things about him
    New keeper - big plus
    Wilshere fully fit - big plus

Big year for Santi. Was a bit disappointed with him last season.
    This will be the year Ozil shows his real value with 3 great players to supply.

Looking very good Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Im sure there is one more signing this summer, I think a top DM will be brought in. After that we will only sign a CH if Vermalen goes, I posted last week or so saying CH signing will only be young with great potential or solid pro, I reckon Wenger thinks we got the former, so if Verm goes I can see us buying a solid pro not a world class player. I reckon that if Verm stays a replacement might be bought in january as he is almost definitely gone next summer. Beyond that we might see a couple leaving almost definitely Jenkinson is gone on loan which is probably the best thing for all parties. Possibly might lose a squad player or two but probably on loan. The reality is that Sanchez is the difference between last years squad and this years as other signings are replacements for players that are gone. Add in Campbell and hopefully we can avoid some of the injuries of last year that decimated our squad at times and we suddenly have a squad that should be able to compete on all fronts. A full season for Walcott and Ramsey would be a major boost and Diaby could be very useful if he can manage twenty or so appearances without any injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

GeoffArsenal being the cryptic shiit he is, just tweeted a vine of Marcos Reus.

Must not let myself dream

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

GeoffArsenal being the cryptic shiit he is, just tweeted a vine of Marcos Reus.

Must not let myself dream

Thats next summers dream signing i think.
    Sanchez
    Reus Ozil Walcott

:drools:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Reus isn't a DM though, what the hell are you doing Wenger :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

dorgasm wrote: »
    Reus isn't a DM though, what the hell are you doing Wenger :P

He can play Cazorla or the Ox there if he signs Reus:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Jaafa wrote: »
    I think people are forgetting we were only 7 points off top last season and there were easier matches than the infamous defeats where we could have picked up those 7. So even considering the fact the likes of manu and Chelsea have improved their squads I don't think a "massive"improvement is needed on our part.

We were also hammered by Chelsea, City, Liverpool.

Don't forget that.

We were way off top teams in the league and Europe head to head.We can't ignore it, we need to learn from those savage beatings, not act like we are fine.

We are were much weaker in midfield, blunt in attack and a dodgy keeper in those games didn't help either.

We had no injuries against City when they humiliated us, Walcott, Ramsey all played.

We have made good signings, but we need a few more and we need to massively improve our tactics in the big games.

Would I fancy ourselves to beat Chelsea, City even United in the morning if we we're to play?

No I wouldn't.

Chelsea and City's midfield would wipe the floor with us at present and a disciplined United with Van Persie, Rooney and Mata would find away past our defence.

We have it all to prove next year and based on our signings this year so far, only Sanchez improves our first eleven

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    We had no injuries against City when they humiliated us, Walcott, Ramsey all played.

5 changes from the previous game. Monreal started. Walcotts first game back from injury (still managed 2 goals).

What about the home games against them?

We have massively improved this summer. No stars leaving. No one to build a team around. Added Debuchy who keeps Sagna out of the French team and Sanchez, who is just class.

Yes a DM would be nice, but if we don't get them, still a great summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Don't forget that.

We were way off top teams in the league and Europe head to head.We can't ignore it, we need to learn from those savage beatings, not act like we are fine.

We are were much weaker in midfield, blunt in attack and a dodgy keeper in those games didn't help either.

We have made good signings, but we need a few more and we need to massively improve our tactics in the big games.

Would I fancy ourselves to beat Chelsea, City even United in the morning if we we're to play?

No I wouldn't.

Chelsea and City's midfield would wipe the floor with us at present and a disciplined United with Van Persie, Rooney and Mata would find away past our defence.

We have it all to prove next year and based on our signings this year so far, only Sanchez improves our first eleven

A new season is a new season also.

Coming of the back of a FA Cup win and players who won the World Cup will instill confidence within the team and with everyone looking around going jesus Alexis Sanchez, this guy is serious, the whole camp will be happier and push on.

There's a lot more factors to the new season. If we were to play Chelsea, City and United in the morning, I reckon we could beat City and United on our backyard, but Chelsea will bring the bus as usual and the portugese Tony Pulis will be applauded for his 'mastermind' tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dodgy keeper? What??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Don't forget that.

No I wouldn't.

Firstly, that City game was entirely different to the Liverpool and Chelsea matches. Close for ages, a disallowed goal for us and a freak last 20 mins. It wasn't at all the same as when we just bottled it from the start.

Liverpool away, Chelsea away, Utd home and away.

They were the four truly bad performances from us.

The thing is, it's not about the players but rather the mentality of the team. I mean we just did not turn up - Utd matches too but they couldn't turn the screw the way the other two could.

It's still a worry because there's no obvious fix. Letting in 4 goals in 20 mins is not about getting a DMF.

I mean we saw Brazil do it but that was probably the most pressure those players will ever have going into a match and they plainly weren't good enough. We probably were good enough but still manage to just collectively lose the ability to play a few times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The City game was very different. For one
    we had just returned from Naples on the Thursday and had to travel to Manchester for the Saturday morning ko. Also Koscielny went off injured before half time. We had a lot of bad luck that game too with 2 disallowed goals as well. Really can't be compared to the disasters at Stamford Bridge and Anfield which were total capitulations of embarrassing proportions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Great work done so far this transfer window. Still need a DM and another quality striker to compete for league/champions league later stages imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I think that one of the most important signings is Shad Forsythe as the new fitness coach. It is absolutely critical that we keep our big players fit and handle their load management better. Wenger said last year that Giroud was overplayed and Ramsey as well and we all know what happened to Ramsey.
    There was also data that I read somewhere saying that Walcott's injury could have been avoided as well but we all know that injuries like this can happen.
    Look at how long Rosicky was out and that was partly due to a misdiagonsis by Arsenal medical staff.
    Arsenal have brought in an expert in the field so hopefully he is allowed to do his job and that his recommandations are acted upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

HazDanz wrote: »
    Great work done so far this transfer window. Still need a DM and another quality striker to compete for league/champions league later stages imo.

I wouldn't be too concerned on a striker right now. Sanchez has just arrived, it will be interesting to see what Wenger does with him, he may do an Henry on him. Plus we have Campbell in the squad now, and Giroud may not be your classic striker type player but he complements our midfield superbly. With the speed of Walcott and Sanchez being fed by Özil or setup by Giroud we have a very lethal attack right there.

Goals are not an issue, but protecting our back 4 is an issue. A fully fit Diaby could be a solution but that is too risky, if he could get a break with his fitness and have consistency then he would be perfect. We need a Toure type player but there are not too many out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Diaby is in no way, shape or form a defensive player.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Frisbee wrote: »

I'm not sure if he's ever even been played in that role, certainly not over the last few years when fit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ronjo

Does anyone really know??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I disagree, I think he has the attributes to play there, he's an excellent soccer player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

8-10 wrote: »
    I disagree, I think he has the attributes to play there, he's an excellent soccer player

He has more defensive attributes than Wilshere, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He looks like Vieira so people often assume he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Seriously, are we advocating Diaby as a possible CDM? A guy who gets injured kicking a ball?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Quazzie wrote: »
    He looks like Vieira so people often assume he is.

this really is the case a lot of the time.

I would see Diaby more as a player driving forward attacking play, I wouldnt see him with the attributes to tackle, stay discaplined or command those around him. He can also be quite lazy at times, but all that said he is still an unknown entity in many ways.

anyone know how to get away tickets for games?

byrneg28 wrote: »
    anyone know how to get away tickets for games?

If you want to be in with the Arsenal fans it's nearly impossible. You really need to be a Gold/Platinum member or a member of the Travel Club - both of which are crazy hard to join.

There maybe people on here with those that might help you though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Soups123 wrote: »
    I would see Diaby more as a player driving forward attacking play, I wouldnt see him with the attributes to tackle, stay discaplined or command those around him. He can also be quite lazy at times, but all that said he is still an unknown entity in many ways.

In fairness to Diaby, everything about him is unknown again. Three years of fighting your way back from horrific injuries would change anyone, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes with him.

What are the chances of getting 2 tickets for the Spurs home game in September for 2 new red members? Would we be better off trying for one of the smaller games?

What are the chances of getting 2 tickets for the Spurs home game in September for 2 new red members? Would we be better off trying for one of the smaller games?

Easily done if you are lucky with the queue

Make sure you're on early the morning they go on sale and que about an hour before they go on sale (think its 11am, so go on at 9:45/10am any earlier and you'll be timed out) (online queing) you should be fine. When you see the seating chart try and get two seats as quickly as possible as it'll be live when you're selecting them and other people will be doing the same, if you don't mind sitting apart its not a problem..

I tried getting tickets for Bayern Munich last year and I kept getting timed out, so I kept checking the seats every day refreshing hoping someone would give up their tickets and then I got two at opposite sides of the stadium.. the day before the match there were about 200 seats given up by people who couldn't make it obviously.

Good luck!

Good Post about Alexis and some of his attributes

http://www.7amkickoff.com/2014/playing-alexis-attributes-versus-positions/

it's easy to forget how good Diaby is. Despite his lack of games when he has played he has injected much needed pace into the team. His first thought is to get the ball forward, he has great awareness around him and he can surge forward on runs akin to Yaya. He's the spark that we have lacked recently.

You can see why AW doesn't want to give up on him as a sustained period in the team could really make a difference for us.

Not sure where the boss would play him now but his talent is unquestioned

Hyzepher wrote: »
    it's easy to forget how good Diaby is. Despite his lack of games when he has played he has injected much needed pace into the team. His first thought is to get the ball forward, he has great awareness around him and he can surge forward on runs akin to Yaya. He's the spark that we have lacked recently.

You can see why AW doesn't want to give up on him as a sustained period in the team could really make a difference for us.

Not sure where the boss would play him now but his talent is unquestioned

I agree with all that but I'm afraid its already too late for him to make it big with us. The team has moved on and at best he will be a squad player this year filling in for injuries and in cup games. But I'm confident he'll do us well for us at that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement