Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Aenaes wrote: »
    I so wanna see Khedira, Sanchez, Ozil and Podolski at Arsenal. Then I can whip off my neutrality cloak and become a Gunner.

"Arsenal? Supported 'em for years"

True fans are always there for bad times and the good times mate.

If you need Arsenal to sign particular players to convince you to support the team then you can as well stay neutral.

Hope Khedira signs for us anyways :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

weird question,

does anyone think it's weird getting a personal jersey, with your own name on it.. is it childish.. etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

byrneg28 wrote: »
    weird question,

does anyone think it's weird getting a personal jersey, with your own name on it.. is it childish.. etc.?

Perfectly fine if you are about 8:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

weird question,

LOL you got that Arsenal snailmail mailshot as well eh. I have to admit my surname looked great on that Jersey :)

(Unfortunately my beer belly would look terrible in it!!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So the Ox put this picture up on instagram, with a comment.
    The Ox wrote:
    10546820_332139360293341_249754878_n.jpg

Lol! That look when the fitness coach tells you he's about to run you into the ground!! 🏃😡😂 #SeriousFace #PreSeason

Looking forward to seeing what Shad Forsythe can do with these players, keeping them injury free has to be a priority. If that's their first reaction to his training methods, then I'm thinking that Arsenal just got a massive upgrade to their coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I will be in Islington for a conference at the end of October and I have to submit flight + hotel requests this week. The Burnley games is the day after it (Sat. afternoon kickoff). What would be the chances of getting a ticket for the game and what would be the best way of going about it? And is there a guarantee that the game will not be moved.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

jester77 wrote: »
    I will be in Islington for a conference at the end of October and I have to submit flight + hotel requests this week. The Burnley games is the day after it (Sat. afternoon kickoff). What would be the chances of getting a ticket for the game and what would be the best way of going about it? And is there a guarantee that the game will not be moved.

There's never a guarantee, in fact last year they were particularly bad about it. Look up the dates for the FA Cup and the Champions league, make sure that they aren't schedule around the same time.

Becoming a red member will allow you to buy tickets. Burnley is not a game that will sell out, so you should be fine so long as you buy your ticket more than 24 hours beforehand.

Also, see here for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

weird question,

I would go as far as saying getting a jersey with a players name on it is childish for anyone in their 20s and above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

CatInABox wrote: »
    There's never a guarantee, in fact last year they were particularly bad about it. Look up the dates for the FA Cup and the Champions league, make sure that they aren't schedule around the same time.

Becoming a red member will allow you to buy tickets. Burnley is not a game that will sell out, so you should be fine so long as you buy your ticket more than 24 hours beforehand.

Also, see here for more info.

Cheers, the fixture list on the Arsenal site has under that particular fixture "Fixtures are subject to change". There is a capital one game the Wed. before but the potential CL fixtures are not listed yet. Last season the first CL game would have been the Wed. after this game. And the equivalent Sat. fixture was moved to 17:30 for TV, but it was the Liverpool game.

Cheers, the fixture list on the Arsenal site has under that particular fixture "Fixtures are subject to change". There is a capital one game the Wed. before but the potential CL fixtures are not listed yet. Last season the first CL game would have been the Wed. after this game. And the equivalent Sat. fixture was moved to 17:30 for TV, but it was the Liverpool game.

Yeah, that's a tough one then. It does look that it's in the likely period for rescheduling.

Maybe look into if you can get a refund if it does change? You might miss the match, but you'll still have a day in London, which is something I can't recommend enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

if we play in the CL the following week, that game will be 90% on the Saturday but it still might be the late 5.30 KO which might impact on your ability to get a flight that night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Interesting blog on how Arsenal might line up next season:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/arsenal-line-season-121045367.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Speedy

Bt3rGrVIEAAzF8a.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

marvin80 wrote: »

All just guessing really, plus according to that Theo and Giroud get very little game time.

Theo is a nailed on started if fit, whether its Giroud or Sanchez up top we need his pace

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They were only leaving Walcott out of the line-ups because of the injury I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They were only leaving Walcott out of the line-ups because of the injury I thought.

Yeah actually spotted this just now

Note: We have included fellow new signing Mathieu Debuchy, who has also joined Arsenal for £12m as a replacement for Bacary Sagna, as well as leaving out Theo Walcott, who is currently sidelined with a knee injury. David Ospina is also unlikely to displace Wojciech Szczesny.

Still all guessing really, I think it will change a lot with the class of player we have through the middle. Not sure Cazorla will be a starter each week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Is it just me or do they look wrecked in that photo, eyes look fcuked :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Anyone see the vine of Campbell teasing Monreal with the ball?

Can't post link on my phone, but really think he could leave his mark this year. After his performances in the world cup I'm more than happy to give him a go.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone see the vine of Campbell teasing Monreal with the ball?

Can't post link on my phone, but really think he could leave his mark this year. After his performances in the world cup I'm more than happy to give him a go.

http://benchwarming.com/benchgags/joel-campbell-shreds-nacho-monreal-in-arsenal-training/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Is it just me or does anyone agree letting jenkinson go out on loan is a bad idea. The fact we let sagna go to city upsets me and in my opinion he's alot better then debuchy I wish Wenger could have agreed a new contract with him but I guess it was not meant to be, with sagna and jenkinson gone and I'm 99% sure vermealen will be gone too hopefully outside England but if it is to United I want smalling involved in a swap deal.We needed cover in the back line big time but instead we no longer have sagna rb/cb cover jenkinson rb/cb cover and most likely vermealan cb/lb this leaves no margain for injuries in the back 4 of Gibbs,Koschielny,Mertesacker,Debuchy as monreal is too attack minded and not good enough for arsenal imo and chambers still has alot to learn he's still very young and if it were me I would be loaning him out instead .If vermealen stays we still need a versatile cb who can also cover as a full back if he leaves(most likely) we need 2 would love to see nastasic or varane come to arsenal but we could also pick up hangaland for free would be good cover.We are crying out for a cdm for years now and I have a good feeling about the khedira deal still,Schneiderlin seems to be spurs bound and I don't think bender will happen either it's between khedira,Pogba,Carvalho if we get anyone itl be one of these 3.Upfront I honestly think we're sorted I didn't but the more I think of it I'm starting to believe Sanchez will be our Suarez he is a striker after all and with giroud (16 goals in league last season ) a fit Walcott who can be deadly in front of goals and Campbell to get his chance I think we will be just fine .2 new cbs and a cdm and it's happy days!anything after that is an extra slice of cake I woudnt say no to ballotelli,Remy or rues(I guess we can dream :P ) if the chance comes along to sign a high profile player either .But cdm and 2cbs and were good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

^ Paragraphs lad paragraphs.

I only read the first sentence or two for this very reason, however jenks on loan is a fantastic idea, which i mentioned last month maybe (obviously not an original idea from me) but yeah with debuchy and chambers and bellerin for league cup there is very limited use for jenks this season, a loan is what he needs, regular 1st team football to make him consistent and see what he can do, i see no downside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

^ Paragraphs lad paragraphs.

I only read the first sentence or two for this very reason, however jenks on loan is a fantastic idea, which i mentioned last month maybe (obviously not an original idea from me) but yeah with debuchy and chambers and bellerin for league cup there is very limited use for jenks this season, a loan is what he needs, regular 1st team football to make him consistent and see what he can do, i see no downside.

Bellerin over jenkinson even in the league cup is an awful decision if you ask me, he should be our 2nd choice to debuchy with chambers playing cup games and leauge cups imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Bellerin over jenkinson even in the league cup is an awful decision if you ask me, he should be our 2nd choice to debuchy with chambers playing cup games and leauge cups imo

Chambers has a lot more potential than Jenks and would have been starting for Southampton this season.

Jenks still has a lot to prove.. Him going to West Ham is perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Chambers has a lot more potential than Jenks and would have been starting for Southampton this season.

Jenks still has a lot to prove.. Him going to West Ham is perfect.

The way I see though is this is our season to make a proper push for the title, not to let players like chambers fulfill their potential in league games when they're barely tried and tested. Jenkinson is a better player right now in my opinion.

Not disagreeing with you on chambers starting for southampton this year but I thought clyne would have started over him? Correct me if I'm wrong

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    The way I see though is this is our season to make a proper push for the title, not to let players like chambers fulfill their potential in league games when they're barely tried and tested. Jenkinson is a better player right now in my opinion.

Not disagreeing with you on chambers starting for southampton this year but I thought clyne would have started over him? Correct me if I'm wrong

Clyne was supposedly training to play on the left so Chambers could play RB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

A few Colombian journalists on Twitter saying that we're signing Juan Quintero from Porto. An attacking mid. If this has legs then it would probably mean that Santi is off. Will take it with a pinch of salt for now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Juan Fernando Quintero (Colombian) of Porto?

Rory Smith @RorySmithTimes · 8m
    Reports from Colombia - brought to you by my favourite Wiganer, @cworswick - that Juan Fernando Quintero is on his way to Arsenal.\

Carl Worswick @cworswick · 20m
    RCN journalist @momdeportes is reporting that Juan Fernando Quintero is on his way to London & will sign for Arsenal in the next few hours.

Carl Worswick @cworswick · 10m
    One of Colombia's most reliable journos @diegonoticia says "the possibility of JFQ playing for Arsenal is real. He'll arrive on Monday."

Very good player!!

Also very greedy.. If we sign him then Santi is off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Santi or Podolski I'd imagine will leave if we sign another amf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Podski won't leave, he's on a fcuk tonne of money.

In fairness, Santi's out of the first 11 now, you could see why he'd want a move.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    In fairness, Santi's out of the first 11 now, you could see why he'd want a move.

He'll also be 30 in December.
    Probably a good time to cash in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sign him so we can have the most amazing Fifa team going

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Could have been fabregas if timing was different don't know much about this Columbian kid he was impressive in the world cup I thought.Sad to see cazorla go all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Signing a defensive midfielder should be more of a priority. We have attacking options coming out our ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Def the end if cazorla if true

Shame I liked him but if we can get 20m for him and he is 30

And sign this kid for 16m who is 21 seems like good business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't believe this one will come to fruition. Reminds me a little of the Bernard rumours last Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

The Santi rumours must have some legs so, sad to see him go, one of my favourite arsenal players. But at least there will be another replacement! It will be nice to have a bench of international first teamers again. I can only assume we are still in for a defensive mid and/or a centre back, Arsene throwing money around like he just found the keys to the vault!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

greendom wrote: »
    I don't believe this one will come to fruition. Reminds me a little of the Bernard rumours last Summer.

In fairness, the tweets here make it seem very far along and we're unopposed. In the case of Bernard, we were up against Shakhtar and Porto and didn't splunk the full amount they wanted in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I expect santi to be here at the start of the season and no new attacking players in.

I still think we will get khedira and 1 more defender if verm goes and that will be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like Santi and will be sorry if he leaves but as i said in another post he would have had to up his game. Was poor enough last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Absolutely no need for him, and would take away from our younger players game time.
    Only signings we need at the moment are
    1: Defensive Midfield, 2: Centre Back, 3: Striker.

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Absolutely no need for him, and would take away from our younger players game time.

Striker being honest I really don't think we need anymore at least not in this window. We signed Sanchez who I can see being deployed as a CF and I'm excited by the prospect of seeing what Campbell can bring.

Defensive midfield is a big yes which hopefully we fill, I'd love Khedira any more news on that one today?

As for this Columbian would have no problem with it whilst I like Cazorla he was mostly poor last season and only showed in flashes what's he capable of. Cazorla is most likely going to be a squad player this season not a nailed on starter this season if we bring in youthful potential in his place I've no problem, I've seen people say we should have signed Cesc then but Cesc would have not been happy on the bench that is the huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Jenks gone on loan. Very happy its not permanent. Good chance for him to kick on and show he deserves to be a part of our future

Ronan14 wrote: »

Assuming this Quintero business is true and he's Cazorla's replacement... It makes perfect sense.

1. Cazorla will be 30 in december.
    2. It seems like Atletico Madrid are offer crazy money which we'd be crazy to turn down.
    3. Quintero is a very good player and imo with the right tutoring will be great.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Why are people so insistant on Cazorla or Podolski leaving if we sign someone? The idea is to have more than just a starting 11 for a change.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Why are people so insistant on Cazorla or Podolski leaving if we sign someone? The idea is to have more than just a starting 11 for a change.

Don't think people are insistent on them leaving but as things stand right now Podolski and Cazorla will be on the bench next season so if other players come in, in the positions they played either be pushing them off the bench or the new players won't feature.

We have decent squad depth with Campbell and Sanchez arrival this window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Because we would have the following players all fighting for 3 places:

Cazorla
    Ozil
    Rosicky
    Podolski
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Campbell
    Walcott
    Sanchez
    Quintero/New Signing
    Wilshere played there a bit last season

Injuries crisis and all there is no keeping all that happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

If one had to leave who would ye rather? Cazorla is prob the better footballer but I think as a club we would miss pod more. Hard one to choose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Because we would have the following players all fighting for 3 places:

Cazorla
    Ozil
    Rosicky
    Podolski
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Campbell
    Walcott
    Sanchez
    Quintero/New Signing
    Wilshere played there a bit last season

Injuries crisis and all there is no keeping all that happy.

A lot (nearly all) of them can play centrally too. 10 players for 4 positions (5 if we're only playing one in the DM type role) is what you need. Two of them can also play deeper, so it's 8 for 4 in that regard. Not sure why people want us to have the bare minimum when we have seen how badly that cost us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement