Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

jonny666 wrote: »
    If one had to leave who would ye rather? Cazorla is prob the better footballer but I think as a club we would miss pod more. Hard one to choose

Podolski for me. Think some are being very harsh on Cazorla last season. Relatively speaking he was poorer than his first season yet there was very little between himself and Ozil last year but we are not allowed say things like that about Ozil on here.

Furthermore Cazorla really stood up in the FA Cup Final. He brought us back into with a piece of brilliance, had two penalties scandalously turned down and came out a few weeks before and said we had to step up and I felt he did more than most after that.

The age is a factor I guess but I think we might be writing him off a bit prematurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

That dean lad on twitter, tweeted this 4 days ago

Welcome to Arsenal Ospina. And all the Colombians that will hopefully follow. 👀

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    A lot (nearly all) of them can play centrally too. 10 players for 4 positions (5 if we're only playing one in the DM type role) is what you need. Two of them can also play deeper, so it's 8 for 4 in that regard. Not sure why people want us to have the bare minimum when we have seen how badly that cost us.

Not all together though.

If we take Sanchez, Ozil, Walcott and Giroud as starters and add in the subs to cover GK, Defence and DM we can still only put maybe 3 of the below on bench.

Ox
    New Signing
    Podolski
    Rosicky
    Campbell
    Cazorla
    Wilshere
    Sanogo

Great problem to have but not a long term realistic one so I imagine you would soon be upsetting 2/3 regularly rather than just removing one from the equation from the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

If Cazorla did leave, I would always remember him fondly for his short spell here.

Very talented played who played a huge part in bringing us the FA Cup trophy and an even bigger part putting us in the top 4 after Van Persie left.

May be wrong here but I think he then referenced that Ospina is married to James Rodriguez's sister or James to his sister and he made a joke about Wenger planning for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Stuart MacFarlane ‏@Stuart_PhotoAFC 2m Good luck to Carl Jenkinson at West Ham. Whatever the outcome the bedroom will always remain the same. #afc

proxy.jpg?t=HBg_aHR0cHM6Ly9mYXJtOC5zdGF0aWNmbGlja3IuY29tLzcyMDMvNjg4Njg0MzM5M182MTFiYzE1MWIwX3ouanBnFIAKFJYHABYAEgA&s=BD3eFttZU5HtmVnmo75ZtvZzhilM5AhzEsw2lu4VboI

Stuart MacFarlane ‏@Stuart_PhotoAFC 2m Good luck to Carl Jenkinson at West Ham. Whatever the outcome the bedroom will always remain the same. #afc

proxy.jpg?t=HBg_aHR0cHM6Ly9mYXJtOC5zdGF0aWNmbGlja3IuY29tLzcyMDMvNjg4Njg0MzM5M182MTFiYzE1MWIwX3ouanBnFIAKFJYHABYAEgA&s=BD3eFttZU5HtmVnmo75ZtvZzhilM5AhzEsw2lu4VboI

Truly is a fantastic picture. I am delighted he is going out on loan. Yes he would have gotten a few games this year but I think he really showed his best when getting a long run of games.

I bet he is highly motivated now to prove himself Arsenal's right back for next year and is still in Wenger's backyard so really hope he can push on now and develop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

May be wrong here but I think he then referenced that Ospina is married to James Rodriguez's sister or James to his sister and he made a joke about Wenger planning for the future.

yep he's married to James's rediculously hawt sister afaik
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    A lot (nearly all) of them can play centrally too. 10 players for 4 positions (5 if we're only playing one in the DM type role) is what you need. Two of them can also play deeper, so it's 8 for 4 in that regard. Not sure why people want us to have the bare minimum when we have seen how badly that cost us.

well if you are considering that the lineup for all of the midfield inc DMF then surely you would have to add Flamini and Arteta to that list of names and although I think he could be off on loan somewhere Gnarby could be mentioned too and i'd assume most think a DMF will be signed so thats another one. I dont think people want Cazorla to leave but should another AMF be signed I doubt too many would be surprised if someone like him, a player that could be starting in a key role for the champions of La Liga perhaps was to move on especially considering he most likely wouldnt be starting for Arsenal in the big matches if everyone was fit.

Would have to assume Jenks was guaranteed first team football assuming he performs as i'd say there may have been a few clubs interested in his services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Might not mean that much but why would they go to the trouble of making Cazorla go for a full photoshoot in the new kit in New York a few days ago only to flog him a week later?

Can't see it happening, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Podolski for me. Think some are being very harsh on Cazorla last season. Relatively speaking he was poorer than his first season yet there was very little between himself and Ozil last year but we are not allowed say things like that about Ozil on here.

Furthermore Cazorla really stood up in the FA Cup Final. He brought us back into with a piece of brilliance, had two penalties scandalously turned down and came out a few weeks before and said we had to step up and I felt he did more than most after that.

The age is a factor I guess but I think we might be writing him off a bit prematurely.

Cazorla did stand up for us alright but the way im thinking is neither is goina be a starter and I think Podolski is better to bring off the bench. Plus Podolski seems to bring a bit more to the team spirit (could be way off with that but he seems very vocal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

I think Cazorla couldn't justify being second or third choice in a league where, bar maybe city and Chelsea, he'd make the starting XI of any other team any day.

I'd rather see Pod go to be honest. His flashes of brilliance are his long shots and goals where he has gotten a great pass and we all know he can finish, but his running in behind And dribbling leaves much to be desired from our starting LW. I would have thought a coy purchase here would be a much better recruitment choice.

I think the reason we are resigned to losing a player in this position if we get someone new in, is because Arsenal choose to give far more priority to nurturing growing talent than fielding a bench of players in their prime. Whether we want to change that is something I'm not so sure of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not sure how anyone would know this but as I am reading Fever pitch atm was wondering if anyone knows if Nick Hornby is a season ticket holder at Arsenal now? hope he still is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Not sure how anyone would know this but as I am reading Fever pitch atm was wondering if anyone knows if Nick Hornby is a season ticket holder at Arsenal now? hope he still is

Think he still is. This is from 2009 but still
    USA.Arsenal.com: How often are you normally able to attend matches?

Nick Hornby: I don’t miss many. I moved to London for good in 1984, and since then I doubt I’ve missed 20 home games. A combination of a stay-at-home job and a home 10 minutes’ walk from the Emirates make it pretty easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

I'm sure he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Quintero has dismissed the rumours of him coming to Arsenal so we can ignore all those reports.

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/

I was wondering how odd it would be sign another Attacking midfielder. We dont need it and we all know that plus how could we let Carzola go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Thought he was talking about the attractive females :pac:
    cathalio11 wrote: »
    If Cazorla did leave, I would always remember him fondly for his short spell here.

Very talented played who played a huge part in bringing us the FA Cup trophy and an even bigger part putting us in the top 4 after Van Persie left.

FA Cup final, 2-0 down, 30+ yards out, top corner.

A lot more than can be said for RVP or Nasri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Very happy with Jenks heading to West Ham. It'll give us a good indication of where he's at ability wise.

He should bring some top Banter to the them.

YetFFfU.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

jester77 wrote: »
    Cheers, the fixture list on the Arsenal site has under that particular fixture "Fixtures are subject to change". There is a capital one game the Wed. before but the potential CL fixtures are not listed yet. Last season the first CL game would have been the Wed. after this game. And the equivalent Sat. fixture was moved to 17:30 for TV, but it was the Liverpool game.

the TV fixtures are done up until the end of november, so that game won't be moved for that anyway.
    there is that CCup game midweek before & a CL game midweek after but they're no reason to move it either.

not sure why the notice appears on the list but it but there's one up on the palace game too. i think it might just be a warning that wasn't updated, the games that are on BT aren't updated with the logos either

only thing you should check out is tube/train strikes for that date. that's the only reason it wouldn't be on (or extreme weather).

from later today you can get setanta/BT for a euro for the month. satellite only.
    emirates cup & the charity shield are on BT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

For me Pod is the only that can come off the bench and score sort of like hernandez off united, he has to stay.

Would rather we kept both carzorla and pod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

batistuta9 wrote: »

from later today you can get setanta/BT for a euro for the month. satellite only.
    emirates cup & the charity shield are on BT

Is this deal just with sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Is this deal just with sky?

you've no need to be a sky subscriber to get it but it is a satellite only deal, so no UPC or evision

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

jonny666 wrote: »
    If one had to leave who would ye rather? Cazorla is prob the better footballer but I think as a club we would miss pod more. Hard one to choose
    Rosicky, Campbell, Podolski, in that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Not much happening today. We've signed 15 year old CM Georgios Spanoudakis from Barcelona after he rejected an offer to extend his contract at La Masia.

Seems he changed his mind in the last minute and went back to Germany instead. Joined Stuttgart instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Isn't it great though - we're all like 'oh a squad player - nice!'

Good to be an Arsenal fan!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

KINGVictor wrote: »
    I was wondering how odd it would be sign another Attacking midfielder. We dont need it and we all know that plus how could we let Carzola go?

Maybe he wants to leave because after being at the club two years people are still calling him Carzola?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Maybe he wants to leave because after being at the club two years people are still calling him Carzola?

Is that why Vieira isn't coming back ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

greendom wrote: »
    Is that why Vieira isn't coming back ?
    We nearly signed a Uruguayan goalkeeper a few years ago because people got it wrong so often...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Mr Blobby wrote: »

40 million buy out clause for a guy that started 4 times for porto last year and made only one start and two substitute appearances for Colombia at the World Cup?
    The market has gone mental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/08/mertesacker-could-face-palace-on-the-opening-day/

It kind of highlights the need for signing another cb. Rushing Mertasacker back early could be a disaster if he gets injured or hes not fully fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

wonga77 wrote: »
    40 million buy out clause for a guy that started 4 times for porto last year and made only one start and two substitute appearances for Colombia at the World Cup?
    The market has gone mental

Not mental from Porto's point of view, only mental if someone is willing to pay it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

wawaman wrote: »
    Not mental from Porto's point of view, only mental if someone is willing to pay it now

Yeah Porto and all the smaller Spanish clubs have ridiculous buy out clauses.

They can obviously deal lower if they want to but it's just solid business sense by them. I mean every single year, if they have a stand out player, he's gone in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

2PM press conference with Wenger should be interesting, CB + DM please

2PM press conference with Wenger should be interesting, CB + DM please

won't be expecting anything more than a knowing smile, but who's to say.

won't be expecting anything more than a knowing smile, but who's to say.

Oh i fully expect him to just smile and say something like "We'll see what happens"

• Advertisement

Wenger: "I'm very happy [with our business] and I'm still open to do more." http://

Wenger rules out move for Quintero. "That is wrong," he says

Wenger: "@T_Vermaelen05 is injured. It is a possibility that he goes."

Wenger: "I think August 15 to 30 will be busy again."

Wenger: "Yes, @joel_campbell12 is part of my plans. He might play tomorrow against Benfica."

Wenger: "Ospina has a little thigh problem. He won't be available."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wenger: "I'm very happy [with our business] and I'm still open to do more." http://

Wenger rules out move for Quintero. "That is wrong," he says

Wenger: "@T_Vermaelen05 is injured. It is a possibility that he goes."

Wenger: "I think August 15 to 30 will be busy again."

tumblr_mda49aRoO21qc41a4o1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Need to bring in a CB if Tommy V is injured. Kos our only fit centre half available.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Need to bring in a CB if Tommy V is injured. Kos our only fit centre half available.

Wenger has said that Mert will play against Palace

Yes, It sounds like Vermaelen is gone. Hopefully not to United but it looks that way. Should get £8-10 million for him.

We definitely need a replacement asap. Whos going to partner Koscielney in the Community shield?

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »
    Yes, It sounds like Vermaelen is gone. Hopefully not to United but it looks that way. Should get £8-10 million for him.

We definitely need a replacement asap. Whos going to partner Koscielney in the Community shield?

Chambers ?

If we only have 3 centres halfs going into the new season even if TV stays...it's retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

With Kos, Mert and TV5, we always needed a back-up center-half. We got lucky last season that we always had 2 fit center-halfs to start.

With Kos, Mert and TV5, we always needed a back-up center-half. We got lucky last season that we always had 2 fit center-halfs to start.

+ Sagna

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm going to take it from the press conference that were signing kheirda :)

I'm going to take it from the press conference that were signing kheirda :)

There is no way we are signing kheirda after seeing that conference

We may still get Khedira though:pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think he sees Chambers as back up CB behind TV and 2nd choice RB. If TV doesn't leave we won't sign another CB.

Bt9QL2oIEAEuNNP.jpg:large

Mikel showing off to the new boy.

Chambers ?

I guess.

It certainly will be a baptism of fire though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Are the Emirates cup matches on tv?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement