Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

greendom wrote: »
    David Barrett the BT Marketing Manager who came up with the anti-Arsenal ads promoting the new season, is a Spurs season ticket holder

He's just been sacked for the campaign. His bosses should never have allowed them to be aired in the first place.

Hold your horses

https://twitter.com/MaiISport/status/496283072137289729/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I reckon we will sign Khedira for 3/4 years while arsene develops chambers into a DM

After wenger saying that's where he sees chambers there I can't see him signing carvalho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I reckon we will sign Khedira for 3/4 years while arsene develops chambers into a DM

After wenger saying that's where he sees chambers there I can't see him signing carvalho

Chambers will be our next big CB for me.

Raf32 wrote: »

I thought so too until wenger said he sees him as a DM he has all the attributes to be a top class one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I thought so too until wenger said he sees him as a DM he has all the attributes to be a top class one

0606dc9e03f7bd8f603e121d2d8f9bb36b98fb7a8a2540ff35757bd10a91d8c0.jpg

• Advertisement

As long as we dont turn him into a utility man like Phil Jones ill be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Daniel Crowley has signed his first professional contract. Looking forward to seeing this lad in the coming years, looks a bit special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

D'oh - and I did wonder why there wasn't a link to the article. Serves me right for jumping the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

D'oh - and I did wonder why there wasn't a link to the article. Serves me right for jumping the gun.

Still funny even if it is a fake. Nice twist on the usual rumor mill of scandal bust ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Tony Leen again saying that Sporting looking for €45m and we are talking €30m but that Sporting know they won't get that much and will be talked down. Dean seems to be supporting this claim.
    Tony Leen ‏@tonyleen 17m
    Arsenal have mentioned,not formally offered, E30m for Carvalho. Sporting taking negotiating stance of E45m. Willing buyer and seller. (1/2).

Tony Leen ‏@tonyleen 16m
    (2/2) Sporting know they've no chance of E45m for Carvalho so my reliable contact says expect gap to close fast between them and Arsenal.

Tony Leen ‏@tonyleen 15m
    Direct quote from Sporting Lisbon source: "If you ask for 30m you're never going to get 31m. Negotiating..."

DC ‏@DeanLDN22 14m
    You can trust the Irish when it comes to Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Hi all.

i went to the emirates cup on sunday.

Here are some pics:

114828219624_f4962b4d56_z.jpgEmirates cup 2014-283.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

14830565855_de27fc17e5_z.jpgEmirates cup 2014-226.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

Yes it is that sort of game again from the gunners
    14850422073_0023b11324_z.jpgEmirates cup 2014-220.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

14850422073_0023b11324_z.jpgEmirates cup 2014-220.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

14828137414_a1e3b32ff4_z.jpgEmirates cup 2014-40.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

14643982047_bc1a7ccb7a_z.jpgEmirates cup 2014-78.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Tony Leen again saying that Sporting looking for €45m and we are talking €30m but that Sporting know they won't get that much and will be talked down. Dean seems to be supporting this claim.

Does anyone know anything about him? Like the look of him from youtube videos. But then again i liked the look of Andre Santos aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

shano_88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about him? Like the look of him from youtube videos. But then again i liked the look of Andre Santos aswell!

Bad point: He's at Sporting and we seem to be the only club in for him (if we are). He can't really be that great then.

Good point: He's only 22 which is very young for a DMF so there's chance of huge improvement.

Bad point: He's only 22 - the man to sort out our team vrs City and Chelsea?

Good point: very strong recent development. Only came back from loan for last season. Did great and won young player of month 4 times in a row last year.

Telegraph going with it now too

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11011540/Arsenal-target-William-Carvalho-as-doubts-emerge-over-50m-move-for-Real-Madrids-Sami-Khedira.html

I haven't seen too much of him myself but seems to be very highly regarded. United were linked with him for a while too I believe? He's on feck all wages atm so that shouldn't be to much of an issue. And think I read he's an arsenal fan

Just from youtube viewing, he looks a little slow but that could just be me.

Khedira is better for now but carvalho will prob be world class in 2/3 years

What do we do???

What do we do???

Khedira for me, the lad is a winner. No guarantee carvalho becomes a world class player or even as good as Khedira. Win now mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Just from youtube viewing, he looks a little slow but that could just be me.

A little bit. Looks big and physical though.

I saw 45 mins of him at the world cup and a few youtube clips. Got a great array of passes and good/strong in the tackle from what ive seen.

If we are in for him and at a high price I'd imagine Wenger rates him highly for the position.

Happy as long as Wenger is happy spending a bit of cash on him.

Khedira for me, the lad is a winner. No guarantee carvalho becomes a world class player or even as good as Khedira. Win now mode.

I'm not so sure I'm afraid of his injury record and I think he is slow

I wanted schenderlin but I'm just going to have to hate him now :)

I think we will regret not getting carvalho though if we choose not too

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure I'm afraid of his injury record and I think he is slow

I wanted schenderlin but I'm just going to have to hate him now :)

I think we will regret not getting carvalho though if we choose not too

I really wanted him or Bender too :pac:
    Ya true Carvalho could become the best DM in the world, either way im happy though!

I really wanted him or Bender too :pac:
    Ya true Carvalho could become the best DM in the world, either way im happy though!

Some change fussing over two very good players instead of hoping we sign anyone at all

God i love Flamster :D

flamini.gif?w=650&h=366&crop=1#038;h=480

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I wouldn't be to worried about pace imo it's a position were if you can read the game well and have good positional sense you should be fine.

Sit deep, be strong in the tackle and be able to spray the ball around at ease is what I would be looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hi all.

i went to the emirates cup on sunday.

Here are some pics:

14830565855_de27fc17e5_z.jpgEmirates cup 2014-226.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

Jaysus Miquel looks like he's after throwing on a lot of muscle there. Could potentially play a part this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

cson wrote: »
    Jaysus Miquel looks like he's after throwing on a lot of muscle there. Could potentially play a part this season?

Does he?! He doesnt look muscley to me at all

cson wrote: »

Only as 4th choice id say have still a lot too prove to move up the pecking order

Only as 4th choice id say have still a lot too prove to move up the pecking order

5th choice no? Chambers 4th and TV/new CB 3rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

What do we do???

Khedira is too injury prone for me. We have enough of players like that in the team, wilshere, Ramsey, diaby, rosicky, and a couple of others. Go with Carvalho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Khedira is too injury prone for me. We have enough of players like that in the team, wilshere, Ramsey, diaby, rosicky, and a couple of others. Go with Carvalho.

And get it done before Sunday so he can get game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/arsenal-players-salary-list-2014/

Some good info on player salaries here.
    Also a good site for streaming games.

Is he really that injury prone though? Apart from the big injury last season he played over 40 games in each of the preceding 3 seasons for Real according to wiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Didn't know Giroud was on 100k...madness.

Didn't know Giroud was on 100k...madness.

Do we really have to start that debate again? He's on the same wages as Podolski and is far more valuable to the team

EDIT: Although according to that table Podolski is only on 75k. I thought it was generally acknowledged that he was on 100k +

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Do we really have to start that debate again? He's on the same wages as Podolski and is far more valuable to the team

Not trying to get that going again but according to that site Podolski is on 75k. In fact, only Sanchez and Ozil are paid more than Giroud and Walcott. 4 players in the team are earning 6 figures, one of them surprises me. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

It's Wilshere I would concerned about, 90k and he's been useless for a long time and no sign of improvement.

He should be no where near the highest earner.

Not trying to get that going again but according to that site Podolski is on 75k. In fact, only Sanchez and Ozil are paid more than Giroud and Walcott. 4 players in the team are earning 6 figures, one of them surprises me. That's all.

Generally speaking. strikers are the highest paid players in the team.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A. Wilshere has not been useless for a long time, jesus.
    B. The figures on that site would give us a total annual wage bill of less than £100m, when the 2012/13 total wage bill for the club was over £150m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Podolski is on 110k I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

A. Wilshere has not been useless for a long time, jesus.
    B. The figures on that site would give us a total annual wage bill of less than £100m, when the 2012/13 total wage bill for the club was over £150m.

Does it include coaches, ground staff, chef's, scout's and about 100 other people working for Arsenal?

Wilshere has been useless for a long time, by top 4 standards, highest earning CM standards.

He's fast turning into our version of Cleverly, it's just how much time Wenger is going to give him at this stage.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Does it include coaches, ground staff, chef's, scout's and about 100 other people working for Arsenal?

Wilshere has been useless for a long time, by top 4 standards, highest earning CM standards.

He's fast turning into our version of Cleverly, it's just how much time Wenger is going to give him at this stage.

Needs a big season this one coming. If not questions will be raised more explicitly about his form and 'full development'.

Oh and jesus don't compare him to Cleverly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Wilshire was useless last season exactly the way Rambo was useless the season before.

He was also out for over a whole year recently enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The money end of the club shouldn't worry fans at all. People there for that purpose.
    The performance end should.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Personnally I'm really looking forward to the up and coming season I know it's only the community shield but it would be great to win it.Just have a few points I'd like to share.

In my opinion we need 2 versatile cbs who can possibly play as a full back too if required losing sagna,vermealan,jenkinson is too much cover to lose to replace with 1 new cb and a young chambers(impressed with him all the same).A cdm is a must and it's looking like carvalho now however I would much rather khedira(pogba would be a dream but who am I kidding its not fifa here )

I would be very happy with them 3 additions upfront I think if we would have bought higuain last year we would have won the league we missed out on him big time.As of if we bring in a striker this season I honestly don't think we need one Sanchez will be our top dog and with a fit Walcott a giroud improving each year and an exciting Joel Campbell along with podolski I can see us doing very well this season

A 3 way battle of us city and Chelsea for the title imo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'm very optimistic about the upcoming season but I still fear our ability to hold out for the first 20mins of games - especially now that we are seen as a team who can be beaten via the early blitz. Apart from the high profile top of the table games where we were trashed, the FA Cup final was an excellent example of our issues.

We not only need a serious, well established DMF but we also need better tactic from AW. No matter how talented or superior you think the team is, you need to have balance to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm not worried about our squad this year, I'm really worried about our mentality and Wengers tactics in the big games though.

Personnally I'm really looking forward to the up and coming season I know it's only the community shield but it would be great to win it.Just have a few points I'd like to share.

In my opinion we need 2 versatile cbs who can possibly play as a full back too if required losing sagna,vermealan,jenkinson is too much cover to lose to replace with 1 new cb and a young chambers(impressed with him all the same).A cdm is a must and it's looking like carvalho now however I would much rather khedira(pogba would be a dream but who am I kidding its not fifa here )

I would be very happy with them 3 additions upfront I think if we would have bought higuain last year we would have won the league we missed out on him big time.As of if we bring in a striker this season I honestly don't think we need one Sanchez will be our top dog and with a fit Walcott a giroud improving each year and an exciting Joel Campbell along with podolski I can see us doing very well this season

A 3 way battle of us city and Chelsea for the title imo

Would you not factor in Man United? Van Gaal will get results, I would say. Won all the games in the US including the final.....

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm not worried about our squad this year, I'm really worried about our mentality and Wengers tactics in the big games though.

I would be happier if he beefed up defence. We were very lucky that Merts was fit all season. Would love to get Hummels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I would be happier if he beefed up defence. We were very lucky that Merts was fit all season. Would love to get Hummels.
    Germany showed that Hummels and Mertesacker can't play together, too slow. Sure, Hummels and Koscielny would be fine, as is what we have now, but what if Kos gets injured?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement