Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Would you not factor in Man United? Van Gaal will get results, I would say. Won all the games in the US including the final.....

Nope pre season counts for fcuk all I'm sure as a United fan after last season it's exciting times but anyone expecting United to challenge for the league are loosing the run of themselves.

Unless United go on a spree the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Would you not factor in Man United? Van Gaal will get results, I would say. Won all the games in the US including the final.....

With the way the fixtures have panned out, they'll be top going into October, I'd wager.

I see the Guardian has us predicted to be third.

Considering they usually have us outside the top 4 in their predictions, I guess we'll win the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Nope pre season counts for fcuk all I'm sure as a United fan after last season it's exciting times but anyone expecting United to challenge for the league are loosing the run of themselves.

Unless United go on a spree the next few weeks.

I wouldnt be so sure. United will be back in the hunt this season I think. Players last year just didnt play for Moyes. They will for Van Gael.

jonny666 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be so sure. United will be back in the hunt this season I think. Players last year just didnt play for Moyes. They will for Van Gael.

Regardless of the manager there defence and midfield is still weaker than ours, Chelseas and Citys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Regardless of the manager there defence and midfield is still weaker than ours, Chelseas and Citys.

They still have a month to get a few quality players. The cheque book is well and truly open at OT.

They still have a month to get a few quality players. The cheque book is well and truly open at OT.

Which was why I said unless they go on a spending spree ;) as of now they won't we can't even speculate that they will be challengers until you see who they sign

Bit premature to say they will be challenging on the basis of they might sign players.

Which was why I said unless they go on a spending spree ;) as of now they won't we can't even speculate that they will be challengers until you see who they sign

Bit premature to say they will be challenging on the basis of they might sign players.

A new manager is all the tonic that some teams need, as in van Gaal. Anyway, we will see, what happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I think Van Gaal will be able to squeeze a lot of good performances out of that United team even as is

• Advertisement

Good performances yes, big improvement on last season yes title challengers no.

As it is now I think we will fall just short behind City and Chelsea unless we sign the DM we have been crying out for.

Luckily I'm confident we Will sign what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Top class CDM and a centre back and we'll be in the mix. United having midweek off will be a huge advantage for them, as it was for the Scousers last season.

Good performances yes, big improvement on last season yes title challengers no.

As it is now I think we will fall just short behind City and Chelsea unless we sign the DM we have been crying out for.

Luckily I'm confident we Will sign what we need.

I hope you are right. Any names in the arena?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Soooo.... People want to say who will be our player of the season and most improved?

For me it will be Ozil for player of the season.

Wilshere for most improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

HazDanz wrote: »
    Soooo.... People want to say who will be our player of the season and most improved?

For me it will be Ozil for player of the season.

Wilshere for most improved.

If he stays injury free I think walcott will be our player of the season

Most improved could be the ox, given he gets a good run this season, really showed how much of a threat he can be towards the end of last season let's hope he can maintain on that if not improve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Screw it, I'm going Giroud for player of the season.

Chamberlain for most improved. Think he will have a big year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Most improved from lasts season? Has to be Walcott.

POTY, ermmmmm Alexis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Player of the year doesn't look like it can be anyone but Ramsey. Very possibly PFA player of the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Player of the year - Debuchy

Most Improved - Sanogo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Jaafa wrote: »

Would be preferable to him going to United.

Anyone got any ideas as to who we might sign to replace him? There really doesn't seem to be any hint. I reckon it will be someone reasonably young though maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

That'd be much more palatable than him going to Utd. Would be much easier to wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Push him to Barca, should be a no brainer for him anyway, bar the country move of course.

Player of the season: Rambo, seems to be getting better and better with every game

Most improved: The Ox, has all the raw ability to dominate the league for years to come, just needs cement a spot in the starting XI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Looking at the tweets of the u21 games loks like Crowley came off the bench and have another great game after signing his first pro contract

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Arsenal will draw one of the following teams: Athletic Bilbao/AEL, Lille, Copenhagen/Dnipro, Standard Liege or Besiktas/Feyenoord #afc” ESPN

Bilbao definetly the toughest draw i would say. Would like to avoid Lille and Feyenoord aswell tbh.

Either way, we should win but the easier the tie the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

shano_88 wrote: »
    Arsenal will draw one of the following teams: Athletic Bilbao/AEL, Lille, Copenhagen/Dnipro, Standard Liege or Besiktas/Feyenoord #afc” ESPN

Bilbao definetly the toughest draw i would say. Would like to avoid Lille and Feyenoord aswell tbh.

Bilbao would be seeded if zenit go out. They are currently losing 1 nil after the first leg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I know automatic qualification is better, but dammit I like having 2 extra games on TV so early in the season :o

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I know automatic qualification is better, but dammit I like having 2 extra games on TV so early in the season :o
    The Fenerbahce games were good craic last year, hopefully it'll be something similar again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Player of the year Ramsey as he announces himself to be world class

Most improved player and who will run Ramsey very close will be the ox

I think we're going to see a massive year from the ox if he stays injury free

shano_88 wrote: »

One of Copenhagen or Dnipro would probably be my choice out of that list. Hoping Limassol can do us a good turn tomorrow and keep us out of a potential trip to the Basque Country :)
    Zenit at home tomorrow night though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I really hope we don't get them. Strong team with strong neo-Nazi element within their fanbase.

• Advertisement

I really hope we don't get them. Strong team with strong neo-Nazi element within their fanbase.

We cant get Zenit but we hope they dont win on the basis of the fact that a Zenit advancement sees Bilbao demoted to the unseeded side of the draw due to their respective coefficients. If Limassol win, Bilbao are seeded....So go Limassol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

One of Copenhagen or Dnipro would probably be my choice out of that list. Hoping Limassol can do us a good turn tomorrow and keep us out of a potential trip to the Basque Country :)

Would not like to play Dnipro! A long Plane to East Ukraine with hostile atmosphere only to come back and play Everton on Saturday at goodison! No thank you

Other than that personally I don't mind who we get! We are the Arsenal one of the biggest teams in the world with world class players we can beat any of those squads

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I hate these CL Play-off games. But I suppose it's the penalty of coming 4th. They are just a calendar filler and I hate the hassle they bring. Not to mention the nervousness of a potential slip-up.

In terms of opposition, I'd just like us to get the team that is easiest and shortest to get to. In terms of ability we should be able to handle any of those teams so it's just a case of limiting the impact these games have on the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Not a fan of these CL qualification games at all. Think it was two years ago against Udinese when we were nearly knocked out only for a magnificent Szczesny save from Di Napoli.

There's always the potential banana skin lurking away in the draw, it's a shame we won't have the full squad to choose from as it'll probably come too early for the German trio. Just hope we have enough whoever we get in the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I reckon the Germans could play. They'll be back a few days before crystal palace and Wenger said he thinks Mert will be able to play that game. Pod isn't a starter anyway and a week and half of training should be enough for Ozil to play at least 45-60 mins in the 1st qualifier match.

I reckon the Germans could play. They'll be back a few days before crystal palace and Wenger said he thinks Mert will be able to play that game. Pod isn't a starter anyway and a week and half of training should be enough for Ozil to play at least 45-60 mins in the 1st qualifier match.

Wonder how much say the new fitness coach would have in these matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Any transfer news whatsoever?

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Any transfer news whatsoever?

Graham Hunter was on Talk Sport this morning confirming pretty much what we knew.

That a fee has been agreed with Real Madrid for Kheidira but his wage demands are too high for Arsenal. He seems happy enough to sit with Real Madrid for a year to run out his contract so no deal unless he has a change of heart.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Not sure we could wait 'til next year for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We cant, next!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I hate these CL Play-off games. But I suppose it's the penalty of coming 4th. They are just a calendar filler and I hate the hassle they bring. Not to mention the nervousness of a potential slip-up.

In terms of opposition, I'd just like us to get the team that is easiest and shortest to get to. In terms of ability we should be able to handle any of those teams so it's just a case of limiting the impact these games have on the league.

who do we play and when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

who do we play and when?

Draw is on Friday. First leg is midweek after Palace game.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Metro linking us with Nastasic.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Draw is on Friday. First leg is midweek after Palace game.

And full set of potential opponents won't be known until after tonight.

greendom wrote: »
    And full set of potential opponents won't be known until after tonight.

Tempted to watch the Zenit game, miss competitive football :pac:

• Advertisement

Saw this on twitter. Getting ahead of myself but if we sign Carvalho and Jack stays fit, this is some starting team
    BuXkMp8CAAAGvWr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Raf32 wrote: »
    Saw this on twitter. Getting ahead of myself but if we sign Carvalho and Jack stays fit, this is some starting team
    BuXkMp8CAAAGvWr.jpg

I like it

But we would prob get done down
    The flanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'd rather have Giroud + Sanchez than Sanchez + Walcott.

Not that we'll play that formation.. Its too narrow for us.

Yeah you'd have to ditch one of Sanchez or Theo there imo.

Ya i cant see theo and sanchez working out together just thought it would look so frightening haha
    Zenit 0-0 at half time

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement