Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am still a bit sceptical about Gibbs and Monrael at LB.
    They just don't do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Zenit up 1-0, level on agg. Playing against ten men too

Raf32 wrote: »
    Zenit up 1-0, level on agg. Playing against ten men too

3-0 winners in the end. So Bilbao are unseeded. Another potentially tough draw. Besiktas 1-0 up against Feyenoord after 38 minutes

Athletic Bilbao, Lille, Standard Liège, Beşiktaş or Copenhagen.
    Just stay away from Bilbao and its a decent draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Athletic Bilbao, Lille, Standard Liège, Beşiktaş or Copenhagen.
    Just stay away from Bilbao and its a decent draw

I'm drinking a can of Tuborg right now! Have a feeling we're going to get Copenhagen! :cool:

DenMan wrote: »
    I'm drinking a can of Tuborg right now! Have a feeling we're going to get Copenhagen! :cool:

That has to be a sign :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'd be happy with any of Copenhagen, Liege or Lille. So chances are we'll get one of the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

DenMan wrote: »

Make sure you stay away from the wine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Don't care who we play to be honest, travel wise/fitness we should have the depth to beat either of those sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Arsenal run so bad in champions league draws in recent years. Fully expect to draw Bilbao.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

We shouldn't be worried about playing any of them with the squad we now have ,same every summer though we always panic over which team we're going to get then we breeze past them anyway

There in the qualifiers for a reason, Suppose you could say the same about us , But we're seeded in the last qualifying round we might aswell already be in there

shano_88 wrote: »
    Arsenal run so bad in champions league draws in recent years. Fully expect to draw Bilbao.

Since we have been coming outside the top 2 (or top 3 as it were from 09 on) and having to play the prelim round we have had to play against

2006 - Dynamo Zagreb 5-1 Agg (Won both home and away)
    2007 - Sparta Prague 5-0 Agg (Won both home and away)
    2008 - Twente 6-0 Agg (Won both home and away)
    2009 - Celtic 5-1 Agg (Won both home and away)
    2010 - n/a
    2011 - Udinese 3-1 Agg (Won both home and away)
    2012 - n/a
    2013 - Fenerbache 5-0 Agg (Won both home and away)

Aside from the Udinese tie in 2011 where we did win both home and away but not without a scare or two, we have came out of the previous ones with relative ease.

That all said we are in a better place this season in terms of facing into this tie.

We shouldn't be worried about playing any of them with the squad we now have ,same every summer though we always panic over which team we're going to get then we breeze past them anyway

There in the qualifiers for a reason, Suppose you could say the same about us , But we're seeded in the last qualifying round we might as well already be in there

The two fears i have is both complacency and perhaps also the World cup players returning are lacking that bit of sharpness. Another potential issue is that perhaps for the first time in a long time we dont really know our best 11. Few of our younger players such as Bellerin, Sanogo, and Campbell could potentially lay down a marker this year.

As you said though, we have a good squad for the first time in a long time going into this fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There in the qualifiers for a reason, Suppose you could say the same about us , But we're seeded in the last qualifying round we might aswell already be in there

While I commend Arsenal for always getting through, you don't always breeze through. :p

I remember watching that second Udinese game and when di Natale scored, both the Arsenal fans and players were visibly sh*tting bricks. Pulled it out in the end but it was pretty nervy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Kirby wrote: »
    While I commend Arsenal for always getting through, you don't always breeze through. :p

I remember watching that second Udinese game and when di Natale scored, both the Arsenal fans and players were visibly sh*tting bricks. Pulled it out in the end but it was pretty nervy.

Thats true , You might aswell say if Eduardo hadn't dived against Celtic they'd have pulled something out, There are incidents like that in alot of games , But agree on the Udinese game but that was 1 out of how many we usually breeze through

We were in tatters for that Udinese game if i recall. Cesc and Nasri leaving and alot of injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

shano_88 wrote: »
    We were in tatters for that Udinese game if i recall. Cesc and Nasri leaving and alot of injuries.
    13 Szczesny
    03 Sagna yellow card
    05 Vermaelen yellow card
    20 Djourou
    25 Jenkinson yellow card
    14 Walcott yellow card (Arshavin 90+1)
    16 Ramsey
    17 A Song
    26 Frimpong (Rosicky 46)
    10 Van Persie
    27 Gervinho (Traore 86)

13 Szczesny
    03 Sagna
    05 Vermaelen
    06 Koscielny
    28 Gibbs yellow card (Djourou 47) (Jenkinson 55)
    07 Rosicky (Frimpong 72)
    14 Walcott yellow card
    16 Ramsey
    17 A Song
    27 Gervinho
    29 Chamakh

Chamakh and Gervinho in the same team. A defence of Sagna, Vermaelen, Djourou and Jenkinson. The dire days really are over

Thats true , You might aswell say if Eduardo hadn't dived against Celtic they'd have pulled something out, There are incidents like that in alot of games , But agree on the Udinese game but that was 1 out of how many we usually breeze through

Udinese gave us a hell of a scare and could have taken an away goal back to Udine easily. Celtic though never came within an asses roar of us. We were way too good for them and had 2 away goals going into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

So not really up to scratch with my FFP regulations, but would any of our current spending have to start slowing down due to the spending of this summer and lasts (with no big sales)? Is it based on a year by year balance of the books or can years of saving warrant a big year of spending? Thanks to anyone who can simplify!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Ajfunky wrote: »
    So not really up to scratch with my FFP regulations, but would any of our current spending have to start slowing down due to the spending of this summer and lasts (with no big sales)? Is it based on a year by year balance of the books or can years of saving warrant a big year of spending? Thanks to anyone who can simplify!

We're still on course to balance the books this year, I'd say, very probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Ajfunky wrote: »

Its calculated over a 3 year period i think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The big thing with FFP (as far as I can tell) is that others are spending more than they are making, whereas we have already made the money so it won't effect us for a quite a while yet. Basically, we are currently spending the leftover money after already balancing the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

The other thing people are overlooking in relation to FFP is the new sponsorship deals with Puma and Emirates have pretty much offset the recent increase in transfer expenditure. The renewed deals with Puma and Emirates have increased annual revenue somewhere in the region of £40m by most accounts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Unless we're paying Sanchez 500 grand a week we should be very comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Reus and Nastasic - pah ha ha ha.

It's getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

gosplan wrote: »
    Reus and Nastasic - pah ha ha ha.

It's getting ridiculous.

Think Reus may go next summer, for when his release clause kicks in.
    No movement this year. Dortmund can't let their two best leave the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

dvemail wrote: »
    Think Reus may go next summer, for when his release clause kicks in.
    No movement this year. Dortmund can't let their two best leave the same year.

Our only chance of getting reus would be this summer I'd say

Next summer I reckon he will be offered serious wages to join one of the big boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Next summer I reckon he will be offered serious wages to join one of the big boys

With Ribery and Robben on the wrong side of 30 if he doesnt end up at Bayern I'd be very surprised.

Makes better business sense to do it next year.
    Get him this summer for at least 40m plus with wages of 130pw or so.
    Or next year with his release clause (reportedly 25 million as said by Rumenigge) with wages 150pw plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Was it this week Wenger said would be a busy week for us transfer wise or the end of August in his interview after Monaco match?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was it this week Wenger said would be a busy week for us transfer wise or the end of August in his interview after Monaco match?

After the 15th I think he said.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Star saying Juve will sell Vidal to United and replace him with Wilshire. I don't buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Arsenal are training live on ATV now. Was cool to see them playing a big game against each other.

http://player.arsenal.com/schedule/live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Makes better business sense to do it next year.
    Get him this summer for at least 40m plus with wages of 130pw or so.
    Or next year with his release clause (reportedly 25 million as said by Rumenigge) with wages 150pw plus.

If we wait til next year when his contract is gone we wont have any chance of getting him. The wages he will get will be too much for us

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Star saying Juve will sell Vidal to United and replace him with Wilshire. I don't buy it.

Haha, that is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Mickeroo wrote: »

The Star's football news room.

BE2axHaCIAAoAXg.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Vermaelen's off, Wenger pretty much confirmed it his presser. A number of clubs including United have had bids accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

August 7, pre-Community Shield
    TEAM NEWS: Similar squad to Emirates Cup
    Wenger - Man City one of six title contenders
    Wenger - Germans will miss league opener
    'We've received bids for Vermaelen'
    Wenger - We are well stocked in midfield
    'Chambers can play a major role this season'
    Wenger - Walcott could return in September

So....what about a DM :o

Kevin Palmer ‏@kpsundayworld 5m
    Wenger rules out Sami Khedira move: "We were never close to signing him because we have quite a few offensive box-to-box players.” #AFC

Carvalho or nothing, its beginning to look like

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Kevin Palmer ‏@kpsundayworld 5m
    Wenger rules out Sami Khedira move: "We were never close to signing him because we have quite a few offensive box-to-box players.” #AFC
    Carvalho or nothing, its beginning to look like

Nice that AW is thinking defensively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He also had some travel advice.

The quickest route from London to Manchester is not via New York!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is anyone else worried that we are very close to the start of the season and there is a genuine chance that Monreal could start at CB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is anyone else worried that we are very close to the start of the season and there is a genuine chance that Monreal could start at CB?

Why can't Chambers start there?

Only way he starts at CB is if one of our CBs gets injur..... Fcuk!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Jaafa wrote: »

probably the two teams he has no hope of joining lol

So maybe we won't be signing a recognised DM, just integrate Chambers over the next few seasons.

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/08/wenger-chambers-will-be-a-dm/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

So maybe we won't be signing a recognised DM, just integrate Chambers over the next few seasons.

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/08/wenger-chambers-will-be-a-dm/

That's the worry

That's the worry

Aye, I don't doubt he could be a great DM in the years to come, but for the season coming we are just left in the same hole again for the big games.

• Advertisement

If Vermalen leaves he will definetly be replaced. Agger and Nastasic are the names ive seen mentioned on twitter. I think Nastasic would be a good option. Not sure City would sell though.

Im still hopeful of a DM. Carvalho or Schneiderlin would be brilliant!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement