Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I would be much comfortable if a central defender was brought in before the season starts. We have a fairly busy couple of opening weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Ah yeah I remember that whole messi to arsenal saga....will he, won't he and so on so forth. It really did drag on a bit!

I bought into the dream whilst reading it. Nice piece of fiction all the same ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

omega man wrote: »
    Ah yeah I remember that whole messi to arsenal saga....will he, won't he and so on so forth. It really did drag on a bit!

I bought into the dream whilst reading it. Nice piece of fiction all the same ;-)

It was all over the web there about 2 weeks ago, was never really discussed in here though I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Who is this guy and where did he get all this insider info? Fascinating if true, but I have my doubts at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So, the most nonsensically protracted transfer ever has finally been acknowledged by Arsenal.

Djourou has "officially" signed for Hamburg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »
    So, the most nonsensically protracted transfer ever has finally been acknowledged by Arsenal.

SNAP!

omega man wrote: »

Well it may not have been a dragged saga ala Vieira, Cesc or Henry but nonetheless good to know the best player in the world wanted to come to us (doesn't matter whatever the reason was)

greendom wrote: »
    Who is this guy and where did he get all this insider info? Fascinating if true, but I have my doubts at the moment

He has been writing on Arsenal for a good few years now, he has been very critical of Wenger in the past for his transfer policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Well it may not have been a dragged saga ala Vieira, Cesc or Henry but nonetheless good to know the best player in the world wanted to come to us (doesn't matter whatever the reason was)

To be honest I was being sarcastic as I genuinely never heard the story myself. I must say I think it's BS and really doubt we'd be on messi's radar at all.....(maybe next season though!)

I don't think Cavani would leave PSG unless Di Maria came in, and PSG have said today that they won't be buying Di Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

CatInABox wrote: »

Am I led to believe that we could in fact have cancelled the transfer even after we got a new board/sport-director and we still signed him? I thought it was done back in April/May. Arsenal must have some embarrassing pictures of our manager or something. He's the founder and sole member of the Johan Djourou fan club.

He had an awful season. (The lower the rating the better. 3 is meh, anything over 3 for a defender is bad.) The fee is €3m FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

This is brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

It looks nailed on that Vermaelen is going, hopefully to Barca and not Utd. Surely we should have a replacement lined up and Arsene is ready to pull the trigger before the season starts. He couldn't take a chance on either Mert or Kos not getting injured - we could be held ransom to pay way over the odds if we were seen to be desperate to sign a replacement centre half. I know Chambers can play in this position but he's inexperienced at both Premiership and European level. A bit worrying this ...

Having said that ... I'd like to see us signing our defensive midfielder sooner than later ... at this stage of the transfer window does €5 million either way on a players price really mean that much considering the fee is very rarely paid in one lump sum ? I'm hopeful for Khedira as I think he would show real intent and ambition - Carvalho may be the better long term prospect but is he proven at top level ? I also think Khedira would pave the way for any future bid for Reus, Bender or Draxler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Did wenger say yesterday he is not a DM and we were never interested in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Right, I'm after this elusive third strip. Does anyone know when it's released or where it can be got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Is the Champions League draw live on the UEFA website?

United have turned down the chance to sign Vermaelen, as we wanted a swap deal apparently?

United have turned down the chance to sign Vermaelen, as we wanted a swap deal apparently?

Makes sense really! He's off to Barca now! Won't be too long before it goes through! We need to get a new Captain in place asap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Celtic reinstated in UCL hope we draw them - weakest team by far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Hopefully that was our way of telling him he is not moving to United. About time

Champions League draw is live on Eurosport! COYG

efb wrote: »

Don't think we can draw them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Don't think we can draw them
    Why? We did before.

Did wenger say yesterday he is not a DM and we were never interested in the first place

Arsene says many things ... to the newspaper hacks :-)

Arsene says many things ... to the newspaper hacks :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

This is quite the deal for us.

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 37s #AFC & #FCB agree fee around £15m for Vermaelen. Terms & medical over weekend. #MUFC ended interest after refusing player swap #bbcsportsday

15m is not bad at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

#AFC & #FCB agree fee around £15m for Vermaelen. Terms & medical over weekend. #MUFC ended interest after refusing player swap #bbcsportsday

Ornstein has spoken!

Happy enough with that, £15m is a great fee and he isnt going to United. He must be replaced now...

efb wrote: »

Theyll go through the 'Champions' route. We're in the non-champions route

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

Sad to see Vermaelen go but can't complain too much if the fee is 15m

shano_88 wrote: »
    #AFC & #FCB agree fee around £15m for Vermaelen. Terms & medical over weekend. #MUFC ended interest after refusing player swap #bbcsportsday

Ornstein has spoken!

Happy enough with that, £15m is a great fee and he isnt going to United. He must be replaced now...

Yes, very happy with that, and happy for TV as well. Always struck me as a nice guy, hope he does well in Barca.

Theyll go through the 'Champions' route. We're in the non-champions route

Indeed. Here are the teams they can face:
    BBC wrote:
    Celtic are now seeded for the play-off draw and can face Ludogorets of Bulgaria, Maribor of Slovenia, Slovan Bratislava of Slovakia, Malmo of Sweden or Denmark's Aalborg.

15m is great business for us

• Advertisement

Decent price. To be fair to the lad he could have sulked and headed off last year but showed terrific professionalism so best of luck to him. He'll get a decent reception should he ever come back to the Emirates.

Id imagine we have his replacement in sights if we are agreeing to let him go. Surely those days of last minute trolley dashes are long behind us?!

Ya, he hasnt been at his best for the last 2 seasons but he is a good player and hopefully he does well at Barca.

Ill always remember him for that last minute goal against Newcastle.

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 2m
    Arsenal continue search Vermaelen replacement & also in market for DMF, but may sign 1 player who can perform both roles #afc #bbcsportsday

Someone who can play both roles = Carvahlo?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Live stream of the draw for anyone who wants to watch: http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2015/draws/index.html

Draw here. Sorry if anyone has already linked it

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2015/draws/index.html

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Live stream of the draw for anyone who wants to watch: http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2015/draws/index.html

Snap....:) Beat me too it

I'd hand Ramsey the captains armband straight

Someone who can play both roles = Carvahlo?

Can Carvalho play both roles?

Linked with Adrian Rabiot this morning of PSG. 19 years old, Central midfielder. Apparently refusing to sign a new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I'd hand Ramsey the captains armband straight

Too much pressure then.

Give it to Mert or Kos

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Too much pressure then.

Give it to Mert or Kos

The kid can handle pressure

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Besiktas it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Besiktas

Besiktas! Turkey again, sake

Besiktas it is.

Quite the distance. :mad:

Besiktas it is.

Happy enough with that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement