Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

If a sub appearance in the FA Cup is "capable" then good for you. If not having enough defenders to cover 2 injuries but having loads of attacking midfielders then that's just great. In defence we've gone from
    Gibbs-Kos-Mert-Sagna
    Monreal-Vermaelen-Sagna-Jenkinson

to

Gibbs-Kos-Mert-Debuchy
    Monreal-Miquel-Chambers-ChambersBellerin

Which do you think is stronger?

Four additions - Debuchy, Bellerin, Chambers and Miquel
    Three departures - Sagna, Jenkinson and Vermaelen

Numbers-wise we are better.

Quality wise, Debuchy is better than Sagna, Chambers than Jenkinson, Vermaelen is better than either Bellerin or Miquel but there are two of them. It is debatable.

A further addition of Carvalho or someone like that would unequivocally make it better.

I take it that we are agreed that up front, midfield and goalkeeper positions are better than last year and you only have a problem quality-wise (numbers are up) with the defence?

I don't think Debuchy is a big improvement like others seem to and I think Jenkinson got far too much flak.
    If we get a CB who'd be pushing for a start then overall I'd say we have made the most marginal improvement overall for our defence. Right now last year's looks better.

Further up the pitch we need a DM and either a striker or change of tactics. Can't see any of that happening unfortunately.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We need another CB and an upgrade on Arteta or Flamini. Anything less than that will be a disappointment now for me.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    We need another CB and an upgrade on Arteta or Flamini. Anything less than that will be a disappointment now for me.

I'd prepare to be disappointed so.

We'll get a 3rd choice CB.

Chambers will be groomed to the DM slot. Flamini and Arteta will rotate, possibly we'll see the famed double pivot of Wilshere and Rambo this season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Too early for predications for Sunday?

Im going with 2-1 to the Arse.

• Advertisement

City set to be without Sagna, Agüero, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Fernandinho, Kompany and Lampard.

And we're missing Walcott, Ozil, Mertesacker and Poldi? No one else?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think we'll win but not by much of a margin. We beat them in pre-season last year too sure. but I guess this isn't technically a friendly, unless we lose then it's totally a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just noticed that "The curse of the Captains" has happened again with Vermaelen on his way out.
    Should have made Bendtner the captain long ago.

Match thread -> here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I see skysports website are saying that should the Vermalen to Barca deal go through he will vacate his roll as club captain. Is it necessary to have a frontal lobotomy to become a sports writer these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Only 5 years ago. So many changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Wenger already said that should Vermaelen leave we will sign a new centre back. Although Im not sure if this was before or after we signed chambers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Wenger already said that should Vermaelen leave we will sign a new centre back. Although Im not sure if this was before or after we signed chambers.

It was last week after Chambers arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Team I think we will see on Sunday

Secz

Debouchy kos. Chambers. Gibbs

Arteta. Wilshere

Sanchez. Ramsey. Campbell

Sanogo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Secz

Arteta. Wilshere

Sanogo

Ox for Campbell and Id say that will be it alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Secz

Arteta. Wilshere

Sanogo

Swap Ramsey and Jack then you're spot on.

Secz

Arteta. Ramsey

Sanchez. Cazorla. Campbell

Giroud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Chesney

Debouchy Kos Chambers Gibbs

Arteta Ramsey

Sanchez Wilshere Cazorla

Sanogo

Can't see him starting Giroud after his comments regarding his fitness last week.

Doubt he will leave Cazorla out with Ozil missing and I have a feeling Wilshere needs his confidence boosted with a start so Ox and Campbell have to make do from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

If leave cazorla on the bench, he looked fat last week

Ox or Campbell for me

And I like to see Campbell in a proper game

If the game meant anything ox would start

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

Its great having Campbell as an option. He's impressed me so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

szcs
    deb - kos - chamb - gibbs
    ram - art
    ox - wil - caz
    alexis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Bui-l4zIEAEmhQ2.jpg

Not impressed with Adams talking to that rag when he could have just rang Jack and told him what he thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Rich coming from Adam's if it is referring to Wilshere's off the pitch behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Pot, kettle, black to be fair. Adams had plenty of time to think about professionalism from inside his jail cell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

dinorebel wrote: »

Nice article. Bit of a dig at Sagna at the end?!

"Everyone approaches their career differently. Some are looking for money, some are looking just for the football side. Every player sees it different and everyone has the right to choose what they want."

Godge wrote: »
    The alternative is to sell a first-team player (Arteta, Cazorla or Podolski) and bring in an overseas centre-half. There are not many substantive rumours around either of those three and all have stated in recent times that they want to stay.

So unless someone can uncover another decent homegrown centre-half or has other ideas on who to sell, I find it hard to see where the fourth-choice centre-half comes from and that Carvalho (or my preference Javi Martinez) or his ilk will be our only other signing.

the obvious alternative is to leave them out, no need to sell

miyachi he can f off for a start, his place will have to be be taken by chambers though
    sign a DM only then one of art, flam or diaby get the chop
    sign a DM + CB then two of them

there's now two overseas spots in the PL squad too so it's doable from that side as well

one of rosicky, campbell & sanogo could possibly be considered for axing from the CL squad too
    miquel & coq won't be at arsenal come 1st sept either i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Diaby - Keep forgetting he is fit.

The Diaby Drinking game when he plays.

-Anytime he touches the ball and doesn't get injured you take a drink.

-Anytime he goes down under a tackle you take a shot.

-If he has to come off due to strain at any time during the match you have to down a bottle of vodka.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Diaby - Keep forgetting he is fit.

The Diaby Drinking game when he plays.

-Anytime he touches the ball and doesn't get injured you take a drink.

-Anytime he goes down under a tackle you take a shot.

-If he has to come off due to strain at any time during the match you have to down a bottle of vodka.

Sure no one will get drunk with that :pac:
    No in all fairness as much as i respect Diaby and all that may not be a runner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

He is a refreshing one. Delighted he played in cup final too..pity McShane cleared his shot off the line in the last minute to make it 4-2 Would love to have seen the emotion from him and the fans had he wrapped it up.

Its amazing how little we have counted him in terms of an option this year. He is still a fine fine footballer with plenty to offer this season I think. And no better man to score against Spurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

He is a refreshing one. Delighted he played in cup final too..pity McShane cleared his shot off the line in the last minute to make it 4-2 Would love to have seen the emotion from him and the fans had he wrapped it up.

Its amazing how little we have counted him in terms of an option this year. He is still a fine fine footballer with plenty to offer this season I think. And no better man to score against Spurs!

Hes a Wenger favourite and will definetly get games. Id say he will play 15-20 games at least. He really is a great squad option to have.

Had to go watch this, what a beauty it was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

That article says our 3 longest serving players are diaby walcott and rosicky, also 3 of our most injury prone players. Wenger really doesnt give up on a player he sees talent in, a gent of a manager in all respects given that a lot of other managers would simply off such injury prone players. Except walcott because he's a beast.

Rosicky: In the Chelsea game it was a bit different. We had the best chance of the game [early on]. We missed our chance, straight after they had a chance they scored and a second one. They had two chances and two immediate goals. “That is what we have to improve as well. Maybe the influence of Sanchez can help in this department. In these kind of games you cannot expect to get two or three chances for a goal. You get one chance and that is it. That is what Chelsea do very well in the big games in particular. There is a place for improvement in this department.

quick someone get outraged & tell him about girouds hold up play

Still love Rosicky. TBH if we're playing a double pivot PIVOT PIVAT! I'd like him and Ramsey in it. Means leaving other players out but sweet jesus no-one slide tackles like Rosicky.

Also, not gonna click on a link to the Sun, did Adams actually sit down for an interview with them or did they just pick up comments from him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Rosicky: In the Chelsea game it was a bit different. We had the best chance of the game [early on]. We missed our chance, straight after they had a chance they scored and a second one. They had two chances and two immediate goals. “That is what we have to improve as well. Maybe the influence of Sanchez can help in this department. In these kind of games you cannot expect to get two or three chances for u a goal. You get one chance and that is it. That is what Chelsea do very well in the big games in particular. There is a place for improvement in this department.

Jesus, grow up!

farna_boy wrote: »
    Jesus, grow up!

Why?

I can't get in a debate on this thread without getting shouted down. Someone else comes along and sums up what I'm saying in a sentence and they get thanks. As soon as things go past the headline everyone in here freaks the **** out.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Im very surprised Rosicky didnt end up starting more considering just how influential he was off the bench last season alone. His positioning and running is often world class - and Id think maybe his legs would be going at his age but he doesnt show it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Why?

I can't get in a debate on this thread without getting shouted down. Someone else comes along and sums up what I'm saying in a sentence and they get thanks. As soon as things go past the headline everyone in here freaks the **** out.

People disagreeing with you is not being shouted down. I have defended many unpopular players on here by going into great detail, stats and articles and some of the replies have been just like "well I don't like him so he's **** ".

I understand your frustration but there is no point in replying in kind and making the forum worse. I don't agree with a lot you say but you do offer a good counter balance and make sure the thread isn't one big circle jerk.

Sometimes though I think it's your style of response (similar to that above ) is what other poster's have a problem with rather than what you have to say because you often do have a valid point but if it was phrased a different way you would gain more support.

Jesus, grow up!

what are you on about grow up?
    mention on here giroud isn't good enough & loads go ott about it.
    giroud does get harshly criticised too tbf but that's football fans, you're either a god or a donkey to them

now someone who plays with him say something that could've been written about him on this thread & it's telling imo
    though i suppose pointing out that the players themselves recognise & openly admit that giroud isn't up to it is upsetting to some.

• Advertisement

People disagreeing with you is not being shouted down. I have defended many unpopular players on here by going into great detail, stats and articles and some of the replies have been just like "well I don't like him so he's **** ".
    When I exchange 2 posts with someone who then says they won't reply again and keep getting thanked you can see why it might feel like that.
    I understand your frustration but there is no point in replying in kind and making the forum worse. I don't agree with a lot you say but you do offer a good counter balance and make sure the thread isn't one big circle jerk.
    This is the thing. I'd love to be positive but other than one very good signing (I never said otherwise about Sanchez) I can't help but feel we're a bit precarious in defence. I expect Chelsea and City to push on this year, for both of them if they don't it's a failure of management.
    Sometimes though I think it's your style of response (similar to that above ) is what other poster's have a problem with rather than what you have to say because you often do have a valid point but if it was phrased a different way you would gain more support.
    As I said, others say what I say in one sentence and get thanked. I'm not trying to pick on those guys, but I try to have a proper discussion on the topic and I get attacked rather than either someone addressing the points or those quiet ones agreeing with me :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Have to admit, NBC are really nailing it with their ads for the Premier League.

The return of Tim Lasso, with the great line "They look at least as good as Spurs did"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Rosicky: In the Chelsea game it was a bit different. We had the best chance of the game [early on]. We missed our chance, straight after they had a chance they scored and a second one. They had two chances and two immediate goals. “That is what we have to improve as well. Maybe the influence of Sanchez can help in this department. In these kind of games you cannot expect to get two or three chances for a goal. You get one chance and that is it. That is what Chelsea do very well in the big games in particular. There is a place for improvement in this department.

I don't think anyone in here said we didn't need Sanchez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

what are you on about grow up?
    mention on here giroud isn't good enough & loads go ott about it.
    giroud does get harshly criticised too tbf but that's football fans, you're either a god or a donkey to them

now someone who plays with him say something that could've been written about him on this thread & it's telling imo
    though i suppose pointing out that the players themselves recognise & openly admit that giroud isn't up to it is upsetting to some.

Sorry, didn't see this.

Don't think anyone would disagree that Giroud isn't the guy to take the one chance in a big game.

That was never the discussion.

My take would have been that Giroud can be effective if he's surrounded by the right players. i.e. Sanchez and Wally.

That's not the same as suggesting there isn't a striking problem at Arsenal which is what your original post seemed to throw on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Rosicky was always one of my favourites and I'm so happy he silenced his critics in the last couple of seasons. Just a shame he missed so much of his peak years with injuries. Had he stayed injury free, I have no doubt he would be up there with the likes of Henry and Bergkamp as legends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gosplan wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't see this.

Don't think anyone would disagree that Giroud isn't the guy to take the one chance in a big game.

That was never the discussion.

My take would have been that Giroud can be effective if he's surrounded by the right players. i.e. Sanchez and Wally.

That's not the same as suggesting there isn't a striking problem at Arsenal which is what your original post seemed to throw on us.

This is the argument that always baffles me somewhat.

Don't we have Ozil and even Cazorla for that? By putting Giroud just in front of them trying to do the exact same thing but not quite as good nullifys Ozil's game to a certain extent.

Yes hopefully with Sanchez and Walcott it won't be as much an issue but it killed us last season.

On Giroud be a great option off the bench but I'm hoping to see more of Campbell and Sanchez up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This is the argument that always baffles me somewhat.

Don't we have Ozil and even Cazorla for that? By putting Giroud just in front of them trying to do the exact same thing but not quite as good nullifys Ozil's game to a certain extent.

Yes hopefully with Sanchez and Walcott it won't be as much an issue but it killed us last season.

On Giroud be a great option off the bench but I'm hoping to see more of Campbell and Sanchez up top.

For me, with Sanchez and Walcott playing and providing pace, Giroud will be allowed stay up top more. There will be less need for him to drift back and hold up play. He'll become more of a spearhead of the attach than he has for most of last season. This was how he started last season and it's the only place for him in my opinion. Have him on the end of attacks rather than falling back into midfield with no one ahead of him, as this was where he can be most effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Im very surprised Rosicky didnt end up starting more considering just how influential he was off the bench last season alone. His positioning and running is often world class - and Id think maybe his legs would be going at his age but he doesnt show it!

Rosicky is a great squad player and it's hard not to love him he plays with his heart on his sleeve and runs his socks off a trait people will always admire, he can make things happen as well.

But he's not without his flaws a lot of the time he can be very sloppy in posession and give the ball away far to often.

15/20 games a season is just about right for him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

With Walcott out Im sure Sanchez will start wide right and Id say it will depend on how Giroud goes in the early weeks to see how things will look when Walcott is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

salmocab wrote: »
    With Walcott out Im sure Sanchez will start wide right and Id say it will depend on how Giroud goes in the early weeks to see how things will look when Walcott is back.

Again?!?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement