Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's crazy that the Germans are not back yet. The World Cup is over weeks ago. They should have been given two weeks holidays like everyone else and should have been back training by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's crazy that the Germans are not back yet. The World Cup is over weeks ago. They should have been given two weeks holidays like everyone else and should have been back training by now.

Ah nah the level they play at two weeks to mentally and physically unwind is not enough, even 3 weeks is tough.

Arsene is right giving these as long as he can, too many top players go on to have a poor/burn out season after a World Cup

We also have the squad to allow it with the exception of Mert

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

They needed the rest otherwise come Xmas they would have been wrecked and would prob have been broken down

Delighted the club done this thinking long term for the season

I'd say shad has a very big input into all this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Schurrle has played 90mins for us over 2 games in the last 5 days, hes back since Monday gone.

I can see why Ozil is still off, hes played more game time in the WC than Schurrle but I'd imagine Mert and Schurrle had similar game time or very close to it.

Unless of course they have any slight knocks thats better rested now than treating for weeks during the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

So we have won the last two trophies available in England.

Total domination ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Back as of today. As Wenger said, better for them to miss the first week of the season than to miss out a month in October through tiredness/injury.

Buv_pnpCQAA-GH-.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Schurrle has played 90mins for us over 2 games in the last 5 days, hes back since Monday gone.

I can see why Ozil is still off, hes played more game time in the WC than Schurrle but I'd imagine Mert and Schurrle had similar game time or very close to it.

Unless of course they have any slight knocks thats better rested now than treating for weeks during the season.

Mert and Ozil are far more valuable to Arsenal than Schurrle is to Chelsea tho, Pod had no need for the break as he hardly played but after winning the biggest trophy in football a 3 week break is understandable, plus how many starts did Schurrle make for chelsea last year? Nowhere near as many as Ozil and Mert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

They're back...

Podolski just tweeted

"Look out the Germans are back ;) #afc #coyg #gunners #poldi #aha #back #training #redarmy #backtowork pic.twitter.com/mpNLYLgE4j"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mert and Ozil are far more valuable to Arsenal than Schurrle is to Chelsea tho, Pod had no need for the break as he hardly played but after winning the biggest trophy in football a 3 week break is understandable, plus how many starts did Schurrle make for chelsea last year? Nowhere near as many as Ozil and Mert.

I agreee with ya, both are starters for you guys but this year Schurrle will probably start on the right wing more than Willian, hes got an eye for a goal.

I think Schurrle played 41 games, not sure how many starts, I'd have to go dig up stats, gimme a minute.

20 starts, 20 sub appearances for Schurrle.

They're back...

Podolski just tweeted

"Look out the Germans are back ;) #afc #coyg #gunners #poldi #aha #back #training #redarmy #backtowork pic.twitter.com/mpNLYLgE4j"

Really hope we keep Pod I love him at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It must be down to this new fitness guy. If it means they are less injury prone through the season, I suppose we have to bow to his wisdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

According to the papers this morning....
    Pod and Joel are off to Galatasaray and were after either Agger or Hummels :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I agreee with ya, both are starters for you guys but this year Schurrle will probably start on the right wing more than Willian, hes got an eye for a goal.

I think Schurrle played 41 games, not sure how many starts, I'd have to go dig up stats, gimme a minute.

20 starts, 20 sub appearances for Schurrle.

Yeah well i personally think Willian has a lot to prove especially in front of goal and would play Schurrle over him everyday of the week.

Mertesacker had 51 Starts and 1 Sub. Ozil had 37 Starts and 3 Sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

According to the papers this morning....
    Pod and Joel are off to Galatasaray and were after either Agger or Hummels :pac:

Agger no thanks.
    As mentioned above I really hope we keep pod, seems like a great character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

wonga77 wrote: »
    Agger no thanks.
    As mentioned above I really hope we keep pod, seems like a great character

I agree that Podolski is a great character and great to have around the dressing room but in saying that if he was to leave I dont think it would be a big loss to the team, for a winger he doesnt have the pace to hurt teams and cant really play the lone striker role as good as Giroud. Top bloke but bit of a "meh" player for me.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I agree that Podolski is a great character and great to have around the dressing room but in saying that if he was to leave I dont think it would be a big loss to the team, for a winger he doesnt have the pace to hurt teams and cant really play the lone striker role as good as Giroud. Top bloke but bit of a "meh" player for me.

He is very effective off the bench and has scored some important goals. Exactly the sort of player we need from the bench

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Soups123 wrote: »
    He is very effective off the bench and has scored some important goals. Exactly the sort of player we need from the bench

Yeah he's a proven goal scorer and the best finisher in the squad, seems happy enough to be a squad player rather than the main man too. Just the kind of strength in depth we need.

Definitely a good option to have on the bench, but I would have the likes of Cazorla, Walcott, Sanchez, Ox, Campbell all ahead of him in the pecking order.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Definitely a good option to have on the bench, but I would have the likes of Cazorla, Walcott, Sanchez, Ox, Campbell all ahead of him in the pecking order.

When we need a goal Pod is direct and our best finisher.

He is a quality option and has the pedigree we should be in no hurry to move him on especially if he is happy with his role on the squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

@DavidOrnstein

Arsenal continue search Vermaelen replacement & also in market for DMF, but may sign 1 player who can perform both roles #afc #bbcsportsday

... Javi Martinez??? Wishful thinking

If everyone Is fit Pod prob won't make the bench most weeks

If everyone Is fit Pod prob won't make the bench most weeks

When everyone is fit! We need a big squad to challenge on all fronts we need more than a good 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

IMO the most important thing in a striking bench option is accuracy.

I don't think Pod's at the stage where he'll do it against great defences or put in a great 90 mins but in those annoying games where you're deadlocked against the average team, he stands a way better chance on converting in 20/30 mins than anyone else we have.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    @DavidOrnstein

Arsenal continue search Vermaelen replacement & also in market for DMF, but may sign 1 player who can perform both roles #afc #bbcsportsday

Mascherano maybe? That would be great for a year or 2 i guess.

When everyone is fit! We need a big squad to challenge on all fronts we need more than a good 16

One of our top earners not making the match day squad most weeks

Would the club and the player be happy km that situation?

• Advertisement

I would say there will be 1 or 2 departures as we are over stocked in the midfield/wingers department. If anybody were to leave I would think it will be most likely Pod. Reports in some of the rags are saying Galatasary are sniffing around for him and Joel Campbell, hopefully Campbell is giving a chance with us as he is a player I really like, very hard working winger who has a lovely turn of foot and can cause mayhem in the final third. As I said already if Podolski left it would in no way weaken us as a squad in my opinion.

Hopefully we sort out the DMF position too, wouldnt mind Wenger having a sneaky bid for Pogba.

Big clubs around the world have to do this. As I said teams always have injuries so he will get enough of game time.

I don't get people wanting players capable of doing a good job away from the club, we are trying to build a squad getting rid of a player like Pod who is clearly happy with his role in the squad is counterproductive

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think people are overestimating Campbell a bit too, he has a lot to prove before he could be considered ahead of Pod in the pecking order. I hope he gets his chance but at the moment I'd have Pod ahead of him for goal threat alone.

I don't think both Campbell and pod will be here when the window closes

I think one has to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

TheChevron wrote: »
    Right, I'm after this elusive third strip. Does anyone know when it's released or where it can be got?
    Anyone have any info on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Meant to be on sale from Thursday

I don't think both Campbell and pod will be here when the window closes

I think one has to go

Id give Sanogo a loan spell tbh. He needs games and experience and we cant really give him that at present. Campbell deserves a go and i wouldnt hear tell of getting rid of Podolski. Fantastic squad player to have. We're prone to injuries so id hold off until now on making a decision on either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

love it :pac:
    BuwnLRHCUAArAeV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

From BBC

"Arsenal target Manolas

Arsenal are preparing to step up their interest in Greek defender Kostas Manolas, who was previously linked with Tottenham and Sunderland, as a replacement for Thomas Vermaelen, reports Daily Express.
    Vermaelen signed for Barcelona in a £15m deal. Manolas, 23,has also been linked with Juventus, Roma and Napoli".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

TheChevron wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on this?

Online in the Arsenal Store, released on the 14th August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Believe Gnabry and Campbell will go out on loan this season, most likely to Premier League clubs. Better for both as we are well stocked in the wide positions and it's a chance for Campbell to show he can do it in England and Gnabry will benefit from getting a season under his belt.

Sanogo seems to certainly be a much bigger part of Wenger's immediate plans, can't imagine him going anywhere unless we bring in another out and out striker which seems highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I wonder have Arsenal enquired about Javi Garcia?

Online in the Arsenal Store, released on the 14th August

How long do they take to deliver do you know? That blue jersey is a cracker so will definitely invest in one.

On another point lads I am going to London at the end of January with the missis so wondering whats the best way to go about getting tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

@DavidOrnstein

William Carvalho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think if we were after someone like that (i.e. expensive and one for the future), then we would have gone for them already.

I mean why would Wenger wait till preseason was over to sign Carvalho?

Best hope is Khedira if there's some long negotiations going on.

Realistically I'd say a squad filler or two is all we'll get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

gosplan wrote: »
    I think if we were after someone like that (i.e. expensive and one for the future), then we would have gone for them already.

I mean why would Wenger wait till preseason was over to sign Carvalho?

To get Sporting to lower the asking price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Cant wait for the season to start up again. I dunno how i manage this long every year considering the world cup broke up the months for me. Very optimistic about the year ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Apologies if this has already been asked but will Sky Sports be free for UPC customers on opening day?

Cheers x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

wonga77 wrote: »
    Cant wait for the season to start up again. I dunno how i manage this long every year considering the world cup broke up the months for me. Very optimistic about the year ahead

Roll on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Good article on how Arsenal are likely to line up this year and the slight change in formation to 4-1-4-1 so far this preseason.

http://arseblog.com/2014/08/how-arsenal-have-been-shaping-for-201415/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Telegraph saying that we are targeting one more signing and that Carvalho, Gustavo and Howedes are top of the list...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11027181/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-targets-one-more-player-as-season-start-in-confident-mood.html

Here's some names to keep us occupied. Nothing too new/exciting. Although Howedes played for Germany in the world cup he was probably their weakest link. Could cover LB and CB though so no harm as a squad player

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11027181/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-targets-one-more-player-as-season-start-in-confident-mood.html

[edit] woops beaten to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

4 days from the first game of the season and were down to a thread thin defence already!

Please no crippling injury crisis this year.

Geoff has been quiet lately, but posted this today. Bit wishy washy but he's usually a good indicator imo
    GeoffArsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 13m
    Could be an interesting week this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Geoff has been quiet lately, but posted this today. Bit wishy washy but he's usually a good indicator imo

Fairly hedging his bets there...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement