Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Anyone else think Tiote would be worth a shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

No. I read that story this morning and It wouldn't be a good idea. He isn't good enough on the ball. You can get away with being a poor passer of the ball, but only if you have a good touch. Tiote has neither and that's a problem. He loses the ball a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

dinorebel wrote: »
    Anyone else think Tiote would be worth a shot?

I'd prefer not to do business with Pardew.

There's no point bringing in an average DM when we've the likes of Arteta and Flamini. We need to sign someone who's actually good enough for our starting 11.

Get Carvalho and we're sorted.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Couple of seasons ago I thought he might have been worth a punt but he's not been very good since, definitely much better available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Kirby wrote: »
    No. I read that story this morning and It wouldn't be a good idea. He isn't good enough on the ball. You can get away with being a poor passer of the ball, but only if you have a good touch. Tiote has neither and that's a problem. He loses the ball a lot.

Yea he kind of reminds me of Flamini but worse in every aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Anyone else think Cesc looks weird in Blue?

Even i think its weird. :o

He wont be playing as a number 10 for us id imagine. He'll more than likely partner Matic in CM. He played in a 3 with Ramires and Matic last night.

But ya, ye didnt need him as much as we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Barcelona really put years on Cesc. Looks ancient now!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I have him in my fantasy team, 10m less than Hazard, seemed like a no brainer. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I have him in my fantasy team, 10m less than Hazard, seemed like a no brainer. :o

I always avoid ex arsenal players and spurs players

Just can't bring myself to want them to do good at the weekends

I always avoid ex arsenal players and spurs players

Just can't bring myself to want them to do good at the weekends

Which is why I don't play Fantasy football any more. I stopped about 4 years ago. I was rooting for players and teams I wasn't particularly fond of and it hindered my enjoyment of the game a little bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Which is why I don't play Fantasy football any more. I stopped about 4 years ago. I was rooting for players and teams I wasn't particularly fond of and it hindered my enjoyment of the game a little bit.

I actually enjoy putting in players from the smaller teams, as it means I've a more involved outlook when watching the mid table/bottom of the league clashes. That's until my players get sent off/injured or taken off cos they're beyond useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Tiota is just a hatchet man, his whole game consists of kicking people off the ball, not good enough for a ball playing team.

What fantasy competition is that :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm the opposite, if I play FF I suddenly have a massive interest in Stoke vs West Brom.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    What fantasy competition is that :eek:

D'oh, should read 1m.

D'oh, should read 1m.

I've 3 Chelsea and 3 Arsenal players in my time.

JT, Hazard, Costa, Kos, Sanchez, Giroud.

Hoping to rack up points galore. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If we got Cavani, I couldnt care who our Dm is, what a player (despite a poor world cup). Would win the league with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Raf32 wrote: »
    If we got Cavani, I couldnt care who our Dm is, what a player (despite a poor world cup). Would win the league with him.

Am I the only one who would hate us Splashing out on Cavani??

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who would hate us Splashing out on Cavani??

I dont get the Cavani dislike. Miles better than what we have up top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

There isn't a hope in hell we're signing Cavani. No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

If Cavani plays in his preferred position, i.e. centre forward, he will decimate premiership defences. Although, I'd love to have him my priority is a world class defensive midfielder. As crap as City were last weekend they still broke on 3 or 4 occasions and we hadn't a midfielder in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

First, how is he miles better, did/do you watch Napoli/PSG week in week out? or did you just hear he scored a load of goals in the Daily Mail?

Only proven in two minor leagues (in my opinion)

Would just turn out to be another Shevchenko or Crespo, far too overpriced, far too overpayed and scuffs important chances.

I'd rather have Giroud for 10m and the wage he's on than Cavani who costs 60m+ 200,000 grand a week. To do stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib6zoG5jooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaIooPI83J0

In particular this!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqii8-ABwj0 (go to 04:28, 1-0 down need an away goal to certain team progression to semi final. that is garbage for his price and wage)

No thank you! That's just my opinion on why I wouldn't want him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

When ever I saw him, he has been poor eg Chelsea and world cup.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    First, how is he miles better, did/do you watch Napoli/PSG week in week out? or did you just hear he scored a load of goals in the Daily Mail?

Would just turn out to be another Shevchenko or Crespo, far too overpriced, far too overpayed and scuffs important chances.

I'd rather have Giroud for 10m and the wage he's on than Cavani who costs 60m+ 200,000 grand a week. To do stuff like this

In particular this!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqii8-ABwj0 (go to 04:28, 1-0 down need an away goal to certain team progression to semi final. that is garbage for his price and wage)

I was a huge follower of him at Napoli. Have only see a bit of him at PSG but his goal record from the left wing is outrageous. I think he matches up well against Giroud and a striker that has never scored for us in a proper game in fairness. A few misses and a bad world cup doesnt make him a bad player. All great strikers have blown some games (Henry could have wrapped up the final in 06 and put us 2-0 up). Serie A was a decent league when he was there, suppose you wouldnt want Pogba or Vidal either so? Anyways wont happen but if we could get him for 50 million, he would be up there with RVP and Aguero in the league for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

Cavani to us is just not ever gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Its never gonna happen Raf, and saying Giroud has never scored in an important game for us is harsh, even so he's set up some important goals for us in plenty of "proper" games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

In particular this!

Mourinho ruined Sheva, never wanted him and messes him around.

Sheva was one of the beat strikers ever, I think his European record speaks for itself.

Class player.

Its never gonna happen Raf, and saying Giroud has never scored in an important game for us is harsh, even so he's set up some important goals for us in plenty of "proper" games.

No i meant giroud and that yaya never scored in a game for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Never scored for us in a proper game ? - explanation please !

greendom wrote: »
    Never scored for us in a proper game ? - explanation please !

I meant yaya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I meant yaya

fair enough ! he will this season

Well I can't speak for Raf32, but I watched him a ton for Napoli and he was devastating. A mediocre spell at PSG or not, I think he's excellent.

greendom wrote: »
    fair enough ! he will this season

I do too, i actually think he could really make it

I was a huge follower of him at Napoli. Have only see a bit of him at PSG but his goal record from the left wing is outrageous. I think he matches up well against Giroud and a striker that has never scored for us in a proper game in fairness. A few misses and a bad world cup doesnt make him a bad player. All great strikers have blown some games (Henry could have wrapped up the final in 06 and put us 2-0 up). Serie A was a decent league when he was there, suppose you wouldnt want Pogba or Vidal either so? Anyways wont happen but if we could get him for 50 million, he would be up there with RVP and Aguero in the league for me.

Goal record from the left wing is outrageous in Ligue 1, it's a terrible league.

Yeah he matches up well to Giroud alright, he is better in some ways.

I never said people don't miss chances, my argument is if we are to acquire his services it would cost us in excess of 50m transfer fee and ridiculous wages. I just think the money can be spent acquiring a different target, he could come and be dumped into the London Striker graveyard along with Mutu, Crespo and Shevchenko.

Ah this ties up nicely for your Serie A comment. It's an okay league, far superior to Ligue 1 for starts but it's a different dynamic and most strikers who do come from Serie A (see above^) fail pretty miserably. I don't know the technicalities or the differences in football terms but there is a pretty astonishing record of players who come from that league with good goalscoring records who end up in the graveyard in England. I never said I wouldn't acquire the services of Pogba and Vidal, that wasn't my argument, they are great players who would do a great job in many top teams in the world. But whatever way the Italian league is played it kinda over exagerrates players goalscoring records.

And if he is up there with RVP and Aguero, when he was being touted to all great clubs last year, why did he end up at PSG? Why not Chelsea/Man United/Manchester City? It's not like they couldn't afford to match the wages if they really wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

No i meant giroud and that yaya never scored in a game for us

Apologies. Read it wrong. Still think it would be mental spending that money on him, i honestly dont think we need any more up top.

In particular this!

Ok fair enough you don't want Cavani.
    But picking out some of his misses to prove your point is kinda weak.

I could easily pick out a bunch of shots that Lewandowski missed and then say he's overrated.. But I don't because its not how you rate players.
    Sure I could just show you all the goals Cavani scored in Serie A, to show you that he's a very good striker.

Either way i'd take Cavani in a heartbeat.. But I really don't think it'll happen.

Apologies. Read it wrong. Still think it would be mental spending that money on him, i honestly dont think we need any more up top.

Definitely not our #1 priority, but if he doesnt sign a DM, i would love him to go get Cavani. Beginning to think he wont sign a DM now that Arteta is captain

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Ok fair enough you don't want Cavani.
    But picking out some of his misses to prove your point is kinda weak.

I could easily pick out a bunch of shots that Lewandowski missed and then say he's overrated.. But I don't because its not how you rate players.
    Sure I could just show you all the goals Cavani scored in Serie A, to show you that he's a very good striker.

Either way i'd take Cavani in a heartbeat.. But I really don't think it'll happen.

Fair enough, I'm in work it's tough to write so much, the whole Cavani thing boils my blood, look at my updated comment in reply to a previous poster about posting his misses so to speak.

In short, I'd like Cavani to come to the Premier League just for proof that he's not as prolific as everyone makes out. He'd score 15 goals a season alright but you could pay 15m for Wilfred Bony and get that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Any of the reliable twitter boys saying anything about Cavani?

Sounds like a load of media rumor rubbish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'm pretty sure that a forward player is unlikely as I believe AW feels we are covered. A CB or DMF is possible but it's just as likely that we sign nobody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

HazDanz wrote: »
    Any of the reliable twitter boys saying anything about Cavani?

Sounds like a load of media rumor rubbish.

Only place I've seen it mentioned is the likes of the metro and the express

So no.

Fair enough, I'm in work it's tough to write so much, the whole Cavani thing boils my blood, look at my updated comment in reply to a previous poster about posting his misses so to speak.

In short, I'd like Cavani to come to the Premier League just for proof that he's not as prolific as everyone makes out. He'd score 15 goals a season alright but you could pay 15m for Wilfred Bony and get that.

Cavani's record in Serie A:

Napoli (2010/2011) - Apps: 32 - GS: 26 - ASSISTS: 6
    Napoli (2011/2012) - Apps: 32 - GS: 23 - ASSISTS: 3
    Napoli (2012/2013) - Apps: 33 - GS: 29 - ASSISTS: 4

I'd say he'd do a tad better than Bony ;)

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Cavani's record in Serie A:

Napoli (2010/2011) - Apps: 32 - GS: 26 - ASSISTS: 6
    Napoli (2011/2012) - Apps: 32 - GS: 23 - ASSISTS: 3
    Napoli (2012/2013) - Apps: 33 - GS: 29 - ASSISTS: 4

I'd say he'd do a tad better than Bony ;)

It's nice to just throw stats around and not actually read my post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Only place I've seen it mentioned is the likes of the metro and the express

So no.

+1

Even BBC are copying that from Metro.

"Arsenal are still hopeful of signing PSG striker Edinson Cavani this summer, the Metro reports.
    Cavani has previously played down talk of a move, but Spanish journalist Kike Marin says Arsenal are still hoping to do business, and the deal could happen if PSG complete the signing of Real Madrid winger Angel di Maria.
    The predicted price tag for the Uruguayan? A cool £51m."

Cavani scored 14/15 league goals from a wide position last year which is pretty good by anyones standard, granted in the UCL he played upfront against us and missed chance after chance but that was more an exception than the rule.

Play him as a CF and he'll push 20 league goals, the main stumbling block is hes meant to be on 250-275k a week and PSG wouldnt want to lose money on him, plus hes said he likes Paris and doesnt want to leave so I cant see a transfer for Cavani from any team in the near future as much as I'd like to see him in the EPL for Chelsea and we were meant to be in for him last year but PSG came in and offered Napoli more money, job was done.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

In fairness, nobody thought we'd sign Ozil last summer either. We're loaded now, haven't spent a great deal this summer and we did bid £40m for Suarez last year. I wouldn't rule out Wenger making another opportunistic forward signing but whether there'll be an opportunity, dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

With all due respect to Bony, Edison Cavani is on another planet in terms of quality. Exceptional player who works his socks off and will score 20+ league goals without a shadow of a doubt, he has great vision also, look at the ball he played to Suarez for his first goal against England in the World Cup, the chap is different gravy.

In fairness, nobody thought we'd sign Ozil last summer either. We're loaded now, haven't spent a great deal this summer and we did bid £40m for Suarez last year. I wouldn't rule out Wenger making another opportunistic forward signing but whether there'll be an opportunity, dunno.

This is it. If anything we have been parasites with Bale and Suarez deals - waiting for the other clubs to need funds to equal their own big signings and we swoop in to offer big money for "surplus" players.

Di Maria rumor if true to PSG could be our opening if the interest for Cavani is legitimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

No point even talking about Cavani coming to us. We aren't going to pay 200k+ a week so that's that.

• Advertisement

dorgasm wrote: »
    No point even talking about Cavani coming to us. We aren't going to pay 200k+ a week so that's that.

Was he getting that figure after clearance of French tax?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement