Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Tbh, I don't think I have ever seen Cavani have a good game anytime I have watched him. Not to say he isn't a good player but if we were going to spend that type of money I would want someone in the mould of Suarez/RVP who could create a goal out of nothing and capitalise on every chance. I haven't seen Cavani do that but can anyone who watches him regularly tell me if is he that type of player?

Either way, it goes back to what someone said earlier about the games we got destroyed in last year. Our midfield got run over in those games. Ok Giroud missed an opportunity in one of those games that may have changed the course of the game, but overall if the midfield is being over run, it doesn't really matter who is up front if they have to drop deep or are not getting any service.

So if Cavani is the type of player who can drop deep and pick up the ball, run the whole pitch and score a goal all by himself, I would say we should pursue him heavily, otherwise our priority should remain a DMF to prevent our midfield being over run this year again, and give whoever is up front an opportunity to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

HazDanz wrote: »
    Was he getting that figure after clearance of French tax?

I've no clue to be honest. I've heard salaries in the range of 160k-275k for him so it's hard to know what his after tax salary is. Is tax significantly higher in France than the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

dorgasm wrote: »
    I've no clue to be honest. I've heard salaries in the range of 160k-275k for him so it's hard to know what his after tax salary is. Is tax significantly higher in France than the UK?

It's 75% for the footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

HazDanz wrote: »
    It's 75% for the footballers.

Not for footballers per se, but for high earners in general. There was a lot if talk about it. Was it actually implemented though ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think folks are getting mixed up with Falcao and Monaco regards take home pay? Isn't it just Monaco where they basically don't have to tax the wages so he gets like 250,000 net? Would have thought PSG wages would be on a par with other big clubs in terms of tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think Cavani is what Arsenal need. He is a great player but Arsenal have enough players that can play wide and score goals. Its a centre forward they need imo and the one player that stands out to me as perfect for Arsenal is Benteke when he gets fit. He has pace, power, great in the air, can hold up the ball and can pass it too and knows how to finish too. I know he hasn't had the greatest 12 months but he just looks like the perfect fit for Arsenal imo.

The most important thing for Arsenal right now imo is a defensive midfielder. They need a real good one and I think even without a new centre forward they will be legit contenders to win the title.

greendom wrote: »
    Not for footballers per se, but for high earners in general. There was a lot if talk about it. Was it actually implemented though ?

Aye for earners over 1 million. Came into play in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think Cavani is what Arsenal need. He is a great player but Arsenal have enough players that can play wide and score goals. Its a centre forward they need imo and the one player that stands out to me as perfect for Arsenal is Benteke when he gets fit. He has pace, power, great in the air, can hold up the ball and can pass it too and knows how to finish too. I know he hasn't had the greatest 12 months but he just looks like the perfect fit for Arsenal imo.

The most important thing for Arsenal right now imo is a defensive midfielder. They need a real good one and I think even without a new centre forward they will be legit contenders to win the title.

Cavani is a forward :confused:
    He only plays out wide for PSG because Zlatan his there target man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

farna_boy wrote: »
    Tbh, I don't think I have ever seen Cavani have a good game anytime I have watched him.

I understand this completely. Whenever I've watched him on RTE, he's been dreadful except for against Chelsea in AVB's last Champions League game for Chelsea.

But when I had ESPN for free, I watched a handful of Napoli games and he was a real star. I'd imagine that if we had him, he wouldn't do much to change our big game fortunes, but he would definitely get his fair share of goals.

Overall, I wouldn't take him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

It's a pity we didn't get in early for Ciro Immobile, his younger and cheaper than Cavani, I think his going to shine at Dortmund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I can't say I have seen a lot of Cavani. But some of the comments are eerily similar to ones that claimed Ibrahimovic never played well in games we would see here now and again?

Anyway don't think its much of a goer as exciting as it would be. Walcott, Cavani , Sanchez probably would be a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I can't say I have seen a lot of Cavani. But some of the comments are eerily similar to ones that claimed Ibrahimovic never played well in games we would see here now and again?

Anyway don't think its much of a goer as exciting as it would be. Walcott, Cavani , Sanchez probably would be a bit of craic.

300k a week he wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think Cavani is what Arsenal need. He is a great player but Arsenal have enough players that can play wide and score goals. Its a centre forward they need imo and the one player that stands out to me as perfect for Arsenal is Benteke when he gets fit.
    What is this. Dismiss one of the best strikers in the world (yes, he is a centre forward), and then go for Benteke instead? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Crowley could be declaring for Ireland? :eek: Get in there!!!!

http://balls.ie/football/dan-crowleys-youth-gaa-coach-thinks-hell-play-for-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Raf32 wrote: »
    Crowley could be declaring for Ireland? :eek: Get in there!!!!

http://balls.ie/football/dan-crowleys-youth-gaa-coach-thinks-hell-play-for-ireland/

Jerry flannery made a comment on his twitter the other day about putting on the green jersey or something along those lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Actually don't think much of that 3rd kit, nice colors but the diagonal design is bit meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Crowley would be smart to pick Ireland, save having to play pesky tournaments every 2 summers, I think that was one of the reasons Giggs played so well for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

You can knock the club for a lot of things but class isnt one. I even got a letter from Arsene congratulating me on my wedding !

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/amputee-sailor-receives-arsene-wenger-letter-1619445-Aug2014/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Koscienlys injury doesn't appear to be too serious and should be back for Palace on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

salmocab wrote: »
    Actually don't think much of that 3rd kit, nice colors but the diagonal design is bit meh.

I actually think the design is much nicer than our home and away kit, love jerseys with a collar on them, the neck on the red and yellow jersey is very low dont like it at all.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did anyone start a fantasy league for the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

What's the fit like on the puma jerseys? Are they tight or just normal like the nike ones?

Only two more sleeps! :o

I'll take the lack of reply to my above post as a no :P so I went ahead and made one.

Here's the code: 73197-463734

I'll throw the code in the OP and my sig aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

TheChevron wrote: »
    What's the fit like on the puma jerseys? Are they tight or just normal like the nike ones?

There are 2 versions.

Player version = These are the super tight, nipple tops that the players wear.

Fan Version = These are the ones that you'd get in lifestyle sports. They are a normal fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'll take the lack of reply to my above post as a no :P so I went ahead and made one.

Jesus, its hard this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Fair play. I'm in!

Fair play. I'm in!

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I don't quite understand, teach me the ways!

I don't quite understand, teach me the ways!

Register here and create a team: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

Once you have a team, click on the Leagues tab, join private league and enter the code. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Now I know all your names! *laughs evilly*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Now I know all your names! *laughs evilly*

lol!!! Yeah, but who's who????
    (I think only mine is obvious. . .:o )

You know i've never actually done the fantasy prem thing, i always pick my team and just leave it for the whole year, i think transfers whenever u like is retarded.

You know i've never actually done the fantasy prem thing, i always pick my team and just leave it for the whole year, i think transfers whenever u like is retarded.

You only get one free transfer a week, otherwise you lose 4 points per transfer.

• Advertisement

You only get one free transfer a week, otherwise you lose 4 points per transfer.

Ooooh that's not so bad then. Still prefer just sticking with the squad you pick! maybe 3 transfers in Jan or something, i think that would be better.

Ooooh that's not so bad then. Still prefer just sticking with the squad you pick! maybe 3 transfers in Jan or something, i think that would be better.

You also get 2 free weeks when you can make as many transfers as you want. Also if you don't make any transfers in 1 week, you can make 2 the following week.

No, that would suck.

greendom wrote: »
    You also get 2 free weeks when you can make as many transfers as you want. Also if you don't make any transfers in 1 week, you can make 2 the following week.

Ah rite, cheers man, this should be fun then, can you see other people's teams?
    No, that would suck.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

great idea Mickeroo, should knock a good bit of crack out of this :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah rite, cheers man, this should be fun then, can you see other people's teams?

You can but you won't be able to see them until after the first few matches at least. You can change your team as much as you want between now and Saturday morning (usually 11:30 I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

No, that would suck.

Only if you are terrible at picking a team.

I always used to have that argument with my mates. Changing players every week is a crutch because you can correct your mistakes without having to live with them. It defeats the purpose of the game.

What ends up happening is people just see who is playing who from week to week. "My defender is playing against City this week. I'll swap him out." "Liverpool against Norwich? Suarez in so!" and so on.

It's less football knowledge and more micro management....which is what the websites want as you have to log in several times a week to change your team and more traffic is good for them.

Having a few changes during the season is fine. Being able to change your whole 11 is not.

Kirby wrote: »

I always used to have that argument with my mates. Changing players every week is a crutch because you can correct your mistakes without having to live with them. It defeats the purpose of the game.

What ends up happening is people just see who is playing who from week to week. "My defender is playing against City this week. I'll swap him out." "Liverpool against Norwich? Suarez in so!" and so on.

It's less football knowledge and more micro management....which is what the websites want as you have to log in several times a week to change your team and more traffic is good for them.

Having a few changes during the season is fine. Being able to change your whole 11 is not.

But if you can only change your team twice a season as bob suggested, its a pretty ****e game. Its not real life, its a bit of craic. You pick your team, and make one change a week. Its tactical. I enjoy it, although i never come anywhere in any year i've done it!

Kirby wrote: »

That's what i would have replied with if i wasn't lazy and in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Is there an app for it?

It doesn't seem very user friendly I created an account but keeps giving an error when I log in!

Soups123 wrote: »
    Is there an app for it?

It doesn't seem very user friendly I created an account but keeps giving an error when I log in!

For fantasy football? There is an app yeah but you have to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭boccy23

Is there an app for it?

You need to verify with email. Same happened me.

boccy23 wrote: »
    You need to verify with email. Same happened me.

Sorted took a while to get here !

And that's me signed up

For fantasy football? There is an app yeah but you have to pay for it.

Is it worth while?

Is it worth while?

I don't bother with it because you have to buy the app again every season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement