Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So is there any truth to the Cavani or Reus moves ?

Doubt it about Cavani. If Reus is available as cheap as rumoured though I'd be surprised if we're not interested, does seem to be getting linked a lot with Atletico today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Can't see him going to Atletico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

That'd be Poldi out the door if Reus came. Not that I'd complain. :pac:

Pick three from Reus, Sanchez, Walcott, Cazorla and Giroud.

That's leaving aside Chamberlain, Campbell and Sanogo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looking forward to the live game tomorrow.
    Hope Wenger has the boys primed for this and that we don't take Palace for granted.
    We have not won the opening game in any of our last five seasons so hope they end that spell tomorrow.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We have not won the opening game in any of our last five seasons so hope they end that spell tomorrow.

Didnt realise that :eek:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Didnt realise that :eek:

I remember to my cost and annoyance :mad:
    Just because we are not playing recognised quality opposition does not mean that we don't focus and give it our best.

Come on you Gunners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Surely it can't be any worse than opening day last season! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think sanogo will start tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah we usually draw on opening day if i recall properly except for that disaster result that was Villa at home last year , Still think we should put away Palace away pretty comfortably

Yeah we usually draw on opening day if i recall properly except for that disaster result that was Villa at home last year , Still think we should put away Palace away pretty comfortably

At one stage last season Palace were 1/20 to be relegated but under Pulis they turned it around and comfortably stayed in the EPL. They became very hard to beat. I know Pulis is now gone but we cannot afford to take any team for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

At one stage last season Palace were 1/20 to be relegated but under Pulis they turned it around and comfortably stayed in the EPL. They became very hard to beat. I know Pulis is now gone but we cannot afford to take any team for granted.

Exactly, Pulis leaving 2 days before the game doesn't negate all the hard work and tactics/mindset he has put in and created at Palace, they will be much the same as last year if not stronger tomorrow and it will be tough, but if we don't beat them i'll be very very disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Pulis or no Pulis we should be beating Palace, no reason to fear them.

Bar if we have opening day jitters like last season which hopefully we wont.

We don't seem to be filling the stadium according to this article --

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11033221/Arsenal-announce-attendances-6000-higher-than-official-Met-Police-figures.html

If this is correct then why are there so many people waiting to become season ticket holders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Szcz
    Debuchy--Chambers--Kosciielny--Gibbs
    Arteta----Ramsey
    Sanchez
    Wilshere
    Cazorla
    Sanogo

is what I'm expecting. Have a funny feeling Sanchez will be used form the bench though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

We don't seem to be filling the stadium according to this article --

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11033221/Arsenal-announce-attendances-6000-higher-than-official-Met-Police-figures.html

If this is correct then why are there so many people waiting to become season ticket holders?

I think Arsenal's figures are ticket sold, the Met Police figures are actual people in the attendance.
    Apparently there's huge numbers of season tickets that aren't being used for loads of games, corporate companies just not using their seats and not putting them on the ticket exchange either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hopefully not, get him out there from the start and rip into 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Szczesny

Debuchy - Chambers - Kosc - Gibbs

Arteta

Ramsey - Wilshire

Sanchez Cazorla

Giroud

Ox, Rosicky, Sanogo, Monreal and Flamini on the bench should see us OK

... did we not hammer Everton 1-6 a few seasons ago in the first game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

... Everton kicked off the season at home at Goodison Park against Arsenal on 15 August 2009. The Toffees were never competitive in the match and were defeated 6–1, the worst opening day loss by Everton

... 5 years ago already :eek::eek::eek:

Dion Dublin and John Motson are the only 2 at the BBC who don't fancy us to make top 4 this year. If they're proven right then it's time for Wenger to go. :pac:

• Advertisement

As for attendances, anyone who no-shows more than a few times a season without putting their ticket on the exchange at least a week in advance each time should have their ticket removed, pretty simple to do really.

As for attendances, anyone who no-shows more than a few times a season without putting their ticket on the exchange at least a week in advance each time should have their ticket removed, pretty simple to do really.

Totally agree with this. Sickening to think that some tickets might have been used 2 or 3 times all season, and then they win a FA cup final ticket or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Dion Dublin and John Motson are the only 2 at the BBC who don't fancy us to make top 4 this year. If they're proven right then it's time for Wenger to go. :pac:

I think Phil McNulty predicted us 5th too no?

I think Phil McNulty predicted us 5th too no?

I'm just going by this http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28778605

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I don't think some corporate is going to worrying about weither or not the Arsenal season ticket gets used weekly or not. And the club probably won't care just as long as the season ticket is sold.

Something should be done though, haven't a clue what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

ugsparky wrote: »
    ... Everton kicked off the season at home at Goodison Park against Arsenal on 15 August 2009. The Toffees were never competitive in the match and were defeated 6–1, the worst opening day loss by Everton

... 5 years ago already :eek::eek::eek:

Remember it well, vermaelens debut scored a great header and looked class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Did Bellerin break Walcotts speed record today? Need a fast RB for the next Fifa 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Mertesacker has retired from international football...good news for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I don't think some corporate is going to worrying about weither or not the Arsenal season ticket gets used weekly or not. And the club probably won't care just as long as the season ticket is sold.

Something should be done though, haven't a clue what.

Are you in the queue for one yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Pretty sure this would be illegal. Many season ticket holders also own the debenture, i.e. the automatic right to renew their seat. So I don't think there is anything Arsenal could do if someone doesn't use their ST.

And I think that should explain why Arsenal announce attendences as tickets sold, they want to avoid confrontations with fan groups over something they can't really control until they get rid of the debentures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Pretty sure this would be illegal. Many season ticket holders also own the debenture, i.e. the automatic right to renew their seat. So I don't think there is anything Arsenal could do if someone doesn't use their ST.

And I think that should explain why Arsenal announce attendences as tickets sold, they want to avoid confrontations with fan groups over something they can't really control until they get rid of the debentures.

They could give them less points which would mean less chance of getting a ticket for a big away game or cup final for instance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

They could give them less points which would mean less chance of getting a ticket for a big away game or cup final for instance

A Debenture, as far as I'm aware, means that they must be offered their seat regardless. Could be wrong on that one though.

Either way the Debentures are messy, it's a legacy from the North Bank seating arrangements in Highbury apparently. They force the club to go out of their way to accommodate them, so the club are somewhat keen to try and get rid of them.

Haha ozil told bendtner to behave in Germany on Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Can you get the third blue strip in the shops or is it only online at arsenal.com?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

What's the code for the Arsenal fantasy league?

Was all set to put Sanchez in but was to much.

What's the code for the Arsenal fantasy league?

Was all set to put Sanchez in but was to much.

In my sig, also in the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Everyone in this thread must have joined the Football Fantasy league, loads in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

liam7831 wrote: »
    Can you get the third blue strip in the shops or is it only online at arsenal.com?

Spotted it in Elverys yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Raf32 wrote: »
    Everyone in this thread must have joined the Football Fantasy league, loads in it!

It's hard to know who is who!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Raf32 wrote: »

I'm no good at computer stuff so I doubt i'll be in it unfortunately.
    No computers when I was going to school so i'm only learning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Lads

Leeds fan here anticipating a humiliation at home to the Smogmonsters live on sky tomorrow morning with the only solace being Giroud captaincy in Fantasy

Is he starting tomorrow or not?

A Debenture, as far as I'm aware, means that they must be offered their seat regardless. Could be wrong on that one though.

Either way the Debentures are messy, it's a legacy from the North Bank seating arrangements in Highbury apparently. They force the club to go out of their way to accommodate them, so the club are somewhat keen to try and get rid of them.

From what i've heard (I can't remember exactly where from, something in the back of my mind is saying from DarrenArsenal), there's going to be a system introduced whereby only season tickets that are utilized for a certain percentage of games per season are entered into cup final ticket polls etc.

However, i've no idea how this will work with the Debentures. I thought the Debentures jump the season ticket queue, and can retain their tickets, or can be considered Silver members, so offered first choice on match day tickets? I think there's a number of different level of Debentures? Could be completely wrong on that though!

Might tweet Darren to see what he thinks, he's well clued in with these kind of things.

I thought debentures were mainly a yank thing so fair enough. If the debentures are only the ones carrying over from Highbury I doubt that accounts for 10k people not showing up.

DenMan wrote: »

As an Arsenal fan im delighted. One less international is always a good thing. We could get an extra year or two out of him because of this. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I'm no good at computer stuff so I doubt i'll be in it unfortunately.
    No computers when I was going to school so i'm only learning.

if you can get someone half decent with computers for ten minutes, you just select the players and your set. Wouldnt take too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Quite the contrast in general expectations from this time last year. The defeat to Villa seemed to have the feelings of chickens coming home to roost about it and I was waiting for the bottom to fall out of the tub.

Now everyone seems optimistic. Trophies and a good pre season, but from tomorrow on we'll see. The squad does seem in better shape than in recent years, however I'd still have a few misgivings about the potency up front and the defence could do with a bolstering. Monreal filling in at centre back, if it comes to that, doesn't fill me with too much confidence. It's still amazing to me that Arteta will probably be entrusted to protect the back four. He's a good player, much better than Flamini, but he's far to slow to be entrusted with that role. It could be the difference between challenging and scrapping for fourth place. I'm delighted with the addition of Sanchez but I would of thought that the pursuit of an out and out defensive midfielder would have been priority number one over the summer.

Soups123 wrote: »
    It's hard to know who is who!

I think I was the first one who joined, so reckon I have Mickeroo pegged at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Lads

Leeds fan here anticipating a humiliation at home to the Smogmonsters live on sky tomorrow morning with the only solace being Giroud captaincy in Fantasy

Is he starting tomorrow or not?

He should start but didn't look at all match fit last couple of games, risky captain choice.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arghus wrote: »
    Quite the contrast in general expectations from this time last year. The defeat to Villa seemed to have the feelings of chickens coming home to roost about it and I was waiting for the bottom to fall out of the tub.
    One of the benefits of getting business done early in the summer. My overall expectations are pretty similar to last season's though. Well, my expectations as of last Sep 1, anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

lertsnim wrote: »
    Free to air or free for sky viewers?

I've UPC and sky 1 was working for a brief while this morning. I'm hoping it was a test for later.

They don't want to give us the whole day you see because we'd realise how ****e it is aside from the 90 mins later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement