Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

Quazzie wrote: »
    Button must be creaming himself with this match so far.

Were you enjoying it at that stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Whilst I agree that we need a CB, I don't see how that has any effect on this game. With Chambers' pre-season form, and remembering how bad TV was when partnering Kos last year I can't see how the team would be different if he was here.

When verm stood in last year he was class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Were you enjoying it at that stage?

I could still see some positives from the team, but I'm not the type of person who enjoys seeing the team doing bad.

Worryingly for me, it was the way the team handled that corner was disastrous. I don't think I'll ever stand when a team don't defend corners with players on the post. Wenger/Bould need to sort that out, or sort themselves out if it's a directive from them. Also what the fúck was Alexis marking Hangelaand for?

I could still see some positives from the team, but I'm not the type of person who enjoys seeing the team doing bad.

Worryingly for me, it was the way the team handled that corner was disastrous. I don't think I'll ever stand when a team don't defend corners with players on the post. Wenger/Bould need to sort that out, or sort themselves out if it's a directive from them. Also what the fúck was Alexis marking Hangelaand for?
    Expressing disappointment at how the game is going and the team is playing somehow indicates I'm enjoying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Positives

1. 3 points (just about!)
    2. Chambers performance

Negatives

1. Gibbs injured (again)
    2. Sanago is not ready to be an arsenal CF, let alone play in the EPL
    3. We're sticking with the zonal defending
    4. Created very little in final third
    5. Worryingly, a number of very poor performances from our midfield. Particularly Sanchez, Santi and Ramsey
    6. We still need the players we all have been looking for this summer, especially a decent CF to compete with Giroud.

All in all I'm relieved and delighted to get a win on opening day. Perhaps expectations will be dampened slightly which may not be a bad thing. We can only get better, a whole lot better.

Top of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Team not on their game, makes the 3 points all the sweeter.

Team not on their game, makes the 3 points all the sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Jaysis! That's a huge win. We were awful. Palace were exceptionally well set up. I will say this...we may need one for the big games but hats off to our captain Mikel Arteta. Superb tiday and has a point to prove. Alexis got a rough doin but love his attitude and I think his value is in the big games.

Debuchy very good. Got that shot off for the goal too. Chambo gives us an urgency that I love. Id nearly start him through the middle instead of Jack....but unfortunately I aint gettin 8 million a year to make these decisions!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Want to see Alexis and Ox starting on the flanks in the next game, looked much better that way today (though still not great).

Poor performance over all but did well to grind it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

So happy we got the win, our arsenal team last year wouldn't have got that last goal. The prem winners seem to always get a win even when they play bad, this is our year lads.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ronan14 wrote: »
    So happy we got the win, our arsenal team last year wouldn't have got that last goal. The prem winners seem to always get a win even when they play bad, this is our year lads.

No we were pretty good at getting those results last year but **** ourselves in the big away fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Great to win it at the death on the first day. It gives the team and the fans a huge boost. Aaron Ramsey is turning into a legend even though it wasn't his best game. Alexis showed some nice touches but wasn't as clever as he will be in the future. Santi was poor. The team looked rusty but to win like this is massive. Enjoyable stuff due to the manner of the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Sanogo has no place starting at the moment. Santi and Wilshire really need to up their games. Was happy enough with new lads and think Alexis will take to the league very quickly.

We were very lucky but will definitely take a win from poor performance.

Ronan14 wrote: »
    So happy we got the win, our arsenal team last year wouldn't have got that last goal.
    There were a lot of ground-out wins last season.
    The prem winners seem to always get a win even when they play bad, this is our year lads.
    Don't be at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Looked very rusty but got the win.

I thought Chambers was very good again. Looks very confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Hats off the Arteta as pointed out already, a very strong performance from him today. Don't think we would have won that game a 2+ seasons ago

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Sanogo has no place starting at the moment. Santi and Wilshire really need to up their games. Was happy enough with new lads and think Alexis will take to the league very quickly.

We were very lucky but will definitely take a win from poor performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Some of our players are clearly unfit and need to get to grips with it soon. I also never saw our passing as poor either. Where did our speed on the break disappear to?
    Great to get the win though.

Sanogo was poor.

But I find it very strange when people note that Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla were poor and Alexis so so that we overly criticise the centre forward...interesting.

• Advertisement

There will have to be some rotation on Tuesday surely, though not in defence obviously since we have no other defenders fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Sluggish performance but all that matters is 3 points...and already top of the league...:) yeehaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Delighted with that win. Knew full well it would be a lot tougher than a lot thought so delighted to crawl over the line. Debuchy was our best player, great going forward and really becoming one of my favourites already. Alexis wasnt great but that will come with games. Gibbs injury is to be expected, the lad is made of glass in fairness. That game has to highlight how woefully short we are up top though, hopefully we can do something up there before the end of the window.

Sanogo was poor.

But I find it very strange when people note that Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla were poor and Alexis so so that we overly criticise the centre forward...interesting.

There's no conspiracy, it's because everyone knows those players are good enough to start on their day. I like Sanogo a lot but he's below the level we need in a centre forward at this moment in time.

Thought Giroud didn't fare much better...we struggled badly breaking them down and that ls up to midfield not just the CF.

Im scared of Chambers. ...he's 19 and he is like a nice John Terry but also very good at football.

Really think Jack playing takes away from Ramseys game. Great backup for Aaron but thats all imo

When Ozil comes back Jack will only get the odd game I feel.

When Ozil comes back Jack will only get the odd game I feel.

For the best, slows down the game and takes up positions ramsey would run into. The progression of Ramsey is so scary :eek:

Yip very much so. Imo he is turning into Lampard but better in the defensive part of the field. Them goals are priceless.

I am worried for Wilshere. We keep harpin on about Arteta not up too it, etc but if Wilshere keeps giving away turnover ball what chance does any DM have?

Everton a real test next week. Just feel Alexis will shine in that.

Btw...we have been talkin about DM and DC and another ST for ages. We need width on the left. Can't wait for Walcott back. Think him and Alexis interchangeable would be massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Thought Alexis did well today, really like his attitude, doesn't give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    Thought Alexis did well today, really like his attitude, doesn't give up.

I agree completely. Overhit a few crosses and passes, but fought like a tiger. I'm certain he'll settle quickly and be huge for us.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Alexis was dreadful but his attitude was good alright.

Alexis was dreadful but his attitude was good alright.

Yeah gave the ball away a lot but I like his tenacity and he will fare better against more adventurous teams. Gave a great ball in for the first goal too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

They just need to click a bit.

We tend to bottle stuff though so not surprised we were flat today.

Good to get away with the 3 points and another step in the right direction for the team given our recent opening day record.

Anyone else think that people kept passing the ball to the ghost of Sagna when they were playing it 5 yards behind Debuchy?

Thought Giroud didn't fare much better...we struggled badly breaking them down and that ls up to midfield not just the CF.

Im scared of Chambers. ...he's 19 and he is like a nice John Terry but also very good at football.
    Giroud did well when he came on. Showed the composure we were missing with Sanogo. Clever header or the goal too.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Yeah gave the ball away a lot but I like his tenacity and he will fare better against more adventurous teams. Gave a great ball in for the first goal too!

Agreed. Sanchez true value will be against the good sides and punishing them on the counter I think.

His delivery for the first goal as you point out was largely overlooked.

I liked Debuchy's contribution today...offensively much better than Sagna but time will tell defensively.

gosplan wrote: »
    They just need to click a bit.

We tend to bottle stuff though so not surprised we were flat today.

Good to get away with the 3 points and another step in the right direction for the team given our recent opening day record.

Anyone else think that people kept passing the ball to the ghost of Sagna when they were playing it 5 yards behind Debuchy?

Good point. Sagna was always so reliable that his team mates knew exactly where he would be wkithout looking!

I'd say Wenger will play the 3 Germans in midweek to get them into the swing of things. Ozil's clever passes were missed today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sanogo was poor.

Much like many here done with Ozil last season ;)

• Advertisement

I'm really excited about the player Ramsey is becoming. If he keeps up his form this season, and all signs point to him doing exactly that, I think he will be up there with the best midfielders out there.

Much like many here done with Ozil last season ;)

Small difference between a 21 year old and a league winner with real madrid and 26 year old world cup winner and constant presence as any rational person would agree?!!

Links to Rabiot in the french press. Doesnt play DM, but has the size and stature for it. Id take nearly anything now just to push Wilshere down the pecking order and to protect the back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Small difference between a 21 year old and a league winner with real madrid and 26 year old world cup winner and constant presence as any rational person would agree?!!

Not really just pointing out the contradictory nature of your post.

As you said yourself a poor team performance doesn't warrant one single player being singled out when the whole team hasn't performed.

I do agree but can't have one rule for one player and not another.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Links to Rabiot in the french press. Doesnt play DM, but has the size and stature for it. Id take nearly anything now just to push Wilshere down the pecking order and to protect the back 4.

Jack just needs to step up the pace of his play and the speed of thought for his passing. He seems to get caught in two minds at times and loses possession as a result.
    He is not a bad player. Just needs Wenger to light a fire under him.

I'd say Wenger will play the 3 Germans in midweek to get them into the swing of things. Ozil's clever passes were missed today.

Don't think we'll see them till next weekend. If they are ready though, they should play in Turkey.

• Advertisement

Not really just pointing out the contradictory nature of your post.

As you said yourself a poor team performance doesn't warrant one single player being singled out when the whole team hasn't performed.

I do agree but can't have one rule for one player and not another.

I don't see the contradiction?

greendom wrote: »
    Good point. Sagna was always so reliable that his team mates knew exactly where he would be wkithout looking!
    Down the left was awfully slow as well, balls were played to where a player was rather than where they were going, massively slowed things down.

Down the left was awfully slow as well, balls were played to where a player was rather than where they were going, massively slowed things down.

I wonder if Bellerin can play left-full?
    His pace is unreal.

greendom wrote: »
    Don't think we'll see them till next weekend. If they are ready though, they should play in Turkey.

I'd be more concerned about them being fit for the Everton match tbh.
    That's why i'd like them to get a run out in midweek.

Commented to one of the lads about that in first half. Everything was down the right for a while before that which I think makes us predictable and opposition will just target Sanchez on the right. Gibbs a big loss now despite Monreals all action approach in fairness to him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement