Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Thought the ref was over fussy, second half especially was very stop start, the game is becoming non contact, there were so many soft frees both ways it ruins the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I like Nacho. Hope he plays well and makes left back his own. Gibbs is too injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'd be more concerned about them being fit for the Everton match tbh.
    That's why i'd like them to get a run out in midweek.

The way Chambers has settled in, Merts can wait. It would be good to have Ozil ready for Everton.

I wonder if Bellerin can play left-full?
    His pace is unreal.

Sure the ball would just be even further behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The team could actually benefit from the trip to Turkey mid week. We lacked cohesion today. Performance was very disappointing. Glad we got the three points, and Chambers looks like he's going to be a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Raf32 wrote: »
    I like Nacho. Hope he plays well and makes left back his own. Gibbs is too injury prone.

Nacho scares me at times, think we can do better but your right about Gibbs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Really poor performance. Cazorla in particular was awful. 3 points in the bag though so gotta be happy enough.

Ozil and Mertasacker should make a big difference when they come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Thought Ramsey was awful today

Spent alot of time moaning at the ref and going down easy

Hope he not getting all Hollywood on me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Looks like a lot of other teams were very sluggish today.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Very shabby today lads. Sanogo nowhere near good enough to start and if he's our backup for giroud for the season we're in trouble. To be fair the Whole team were rusty but what stood out for me is that maybe we aren't much further forward than we were last season. I think another few signings are required to say we are better than last year. A strker a defensive midfielder and maybe more cover at the back and we will be stronger than last season. Hopefully some more business will be done in the next two weeks. Chambers by far the biggest positive of the day for me. COYG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's weird.

The more and more I think of it, I think the cohesion required to play attacking possession-based football is harder to achieve then when you're playing to a well drilled system. Essentially playing effectively where everyone has freedom on the ball is harder to achieve.

Two things spring to mind here.

1: it's just so un-pragmatic and comes at a cost. I think whether or not you're prepared to pay this price is a big aspect of supporting Arsenal.

2: it's one of the more overlooked achievements of Guardolia. He kept everyone at Barca in such good form for so long.

jonny666 wrote: »
    I'm really excited about the player Ramsey is becoming. If he keeps up his form this season, and all signs point to him doing exactly that, I think he will be up there with the best midfielders out there.
    What i like most about him is that in a day such as today where he was frustrated by a tight Palace midfield, he kept plugging away and never lost hope and then came up with the goods when it mattered. Same as the FA cup final. Ramsey was frustrated but he never dropped his head and lost heart once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Went out for a few after the match so never got posting my thoughts.

Good:

Chambers.. He was just fantastic!. For someone so young to come into this team and have such a positive affect is great.

Sanchez.. For me he was by far our best attacker. He done about 3 or 4 dummy's which allowed Debuchy to run straight in down the line unmarked. His passing needs to improve, but overall he looks like he'll fit right in.

Ramsey.. Well what can be said? He's just turning into one of the best box to box players out there.

Bad:

Our new formation: We've moved from 4-2-3-1 to 4-1-4-1. I can't say i'm a fan. Its seems like our midfield are way to far ahead of the defence and it just seemned to hold us back. Personally I think we've changed formation to try and suit Arteta... With his legs gone he needs to play deeper. That formation is perfect for him.. But from what i've seen it slows us down.

Cazorla: Really.. REALLY bad game for him. He hasn't returned to what he was like in his first season which is worrying with his age.

Overall I think we done enough against a team who had no interest in playing
    football and instead were happy to just try and soak up pressure.
    Also our Germans still have to return so I won't be to critical since this wan't out best team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Chamack had his best ever game at The Emirates today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

United played sh1t today and lost. We played sh1t and won. For how many years was that the other way around. 3 points most important thing, the performances will come...

Chamack had his best ever game at The Emirates today.

As an effective striker he was redundant but as an extra midfielder in a 4-1-3-1-1 system he was very effective in chasing back and putting in tackles.

Palace are a very very difficult team to play against. Millen and Pulis before him are both very good tacticians. I remember Palace werent too bad against us at Selhurst Park last season either when Millen had taken over from Holloway.

United played sh1t today and lost. We played sh1t and won. For how many years was that the other way around. 3 points most important thing, the performances will come...

I miss the fast breaks from defence we used to see. Three or four clinical passes and the ball is in the net at the other end. Today I couldn't believe how slow Arteta, Wilshere and Santi were in delivering the ball. The chances to do it were few and far between the way Palace set up but there were a few and we dallied and went sideways or gave the ball back to them.
    I think Ozil and Ramsey ahead of Arteta with Ox on the left and Alexis on the right will speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

So Gibbs has an Achilles or hamstring injury. Monreal is barely up to it as a replacement. I saw we were linked with Howedes of Schalke( not sure of the source) someone would be ideal who can play left and centrally. Probably won't happen of course. Come on now arsene, bulk up that defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Our new formation: We've moved from 4-2-3-1 to 4-1-4-1. I can't say i'm a fan. Its seems like our midfield are way to far ahead of the defence and it just seemned to hold us back. Personally I think we've changed formation to try and suit Arteta... With his legs gone he needs to play deeper. That formation is perfect for him.. But from what i've seen it slows us down.
    I'd say that formation will be gone once Ozil is back.

• Advertisement

So Gibbs has an Achilles or hamstring injury. Monreal is barely up to it as a replacement. I saw we were linked with Howedes of Schalke( not sure of the source) someone would be ideal who can play left and centrally. Probably won't happen of course. Come on now arsene, bulk up that defence

Haven't really seen enough of Howedes to judge him as a central defender but i didn't think that he looked too comfortable left back for Germany and in particular against Algeria.
    Agreed though that we need to improve the spine of the team and im not so sure Arteta is cut out to start for us anymore (at least not every game). Its not that he is bad really just that he is slow and slows down the game too much. We need a quicker game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

You won. (most important thing, the rest, improvement etc can come later)

Walcott will add another dimension. I think Alexis will move to the left then and you will have more attacks from both sides.

Ozil back again will add so much as will Mert in def but in a very different way.

Giroud isn't fully fit but is streets ahead of Sanogo imo and actually I could see Alexis as the back up CF more often than not in big games (once Walcott is back for attacking creativity) but do think Wenger rates Sanogo highly and will give him as much experience as he can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I'd say that formation will be gone once Ozil is back.

We won't have a defensive core at all, when we have Ozil, Alexis and Cazorla in the same midfield.

I can't see Arteta coping at all, Ramsey will have a massive work load having to sit with him and get forward as well.

When Ramsey is out, we are in big trouble, we have no like for like replacement for him.

Flamini and Wilshere can't play in there with Arteta.

Turning our noses up at Cesc is going to look a bad move in time.

He is alot better defensively than people give him credit for, far better than Ozil and Cazorla anyway.

We really need to get a box to box midfielder in who can rotate with Ramsey and play with him instead of Arteta when needed.

It's as vital as a new CB for me.

At this point our season is hanging on Ramsey staying fit and Giroud having a blinder.

A few posters have said only Sanchez has improved the 1st team and I think they are right.We haven't done in the transfer market to make the jump from 4th to challenging for the title.

You won. (most important thing, the rest, improvement etc can come later)

Walcott will add another dimension. I think Alexis will move to the left then and you will have more attacks from both sides.

Ozil back again will add so much as will Mert in def but in a very different way.

Giroud isn't fully fit but is streets ahead of Sanogo imo and actually I could see Alexis as the back up CF more often than not in big games (once Walcott is back for attacking creativity) but do think Wenger rates Sanogo highly and will give him as much experience as he can.

Will Sanchez as Giroud alternative happen?

No one in the league plays a 5'6 guy upfront as the focal point.

I just don't see Sanchez playing up there as a lone attacker, it's not all about size, but he's just a bit too small and light for that role.

In a 4-4-2 yeah he would be fine, but we haven't played that since Henry/Ade/Rvp days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Will Sanchez as Giroud alternative happen?

No one in the league plays a 5'6 guy upfront as the focal point.

I just don't see Sanchez playing up there as a lone attacker, it's not all about size, but he's just a bit too small and light for that role.

In a 4-4-2 yeah he would be fine, but we haven't played that since Henry/Ade/Rvp days.

Dunno if it would and personally think Wenger would prefer a Sanogo style player but if Sanogo does not prove himself a bit more when given the chances that Arsene will give him and should say Giroud get an injury after Walcott is back then I could imagine Snachez starting up top with Walcott and Podolski potentially supporting him from the wings.

Think CF will be next summers priority while before the window closes now Wenger will be foucused on a backup CB and then if a big name ( more so big quality but the two may be the same here) is available at the right price a DM will be foucesed on. The DM I still think may be Khedira

Dunno if it would and personally think Wenger would prefer a Sanogo style player but if Sanogo does not prove himself a bit more when given the chances that Arsene will give him and should say Giroud get an injury after Walcott is back then I could imagine Snachez starting up top with Walcott and Podolski potentially supporting him from the wings.

Think CF will be next summers priority while before the window closes now Wenger will be foucused on a backup CB and then if a big name ( more so big quality but the two may be the same here) is available at the right price a DM will be foucesed on. The DM I still think may be Khedira

A south american front two of Campbell and Alexis could be something that we might see a bit of as well this season.

Campbell is just about strong enough, quick enough and smart enough to play up top from what we have seen of him.

Not really gone on Khedira, everytime I have seen him for Madrid he has looked lazy.

• Advertisement

Ramsey said yesterday in his interview that him and wilshere don't like playing that far up the field, and when ozil comes back they can play deeper

He also said that they had no passing options ahead of them that's why the midfield took a few extra touches

For all the critisism he gets here from time to time, ozil is the man that knits it all together, between giving out midfield they option of a pass, and the unnoticed stuff his runs dragging defenders all over the place to leave space for ramsey, wilshere etc etc

Another thing I noticed yesterday was the amount of time arteta say back in at CB and pushed chambers out to push on, think we will see more of this next year too avoid arteta been marked

Not a popular opinion in here but I thought arteta was excellent yesterday, mightn't have the legs for the bigger games but he still have a massive part to play this season

All in all happy with the 3 points, we looked rusty and unfit but picked up the win.

So happy to have the season back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not a great performance but for a first outing considering the truncated nature of preseason it was decent. The new lads looked decent especially Chambers who really looks the part and will surely fit in somewhere as the season goes on. Think we need to sign another CH very soon as having 2 plus Chambers who is also covering RB is a recipe for disaster, just needs to be a competent pro not a long term prospect but maybe a guy in early 30s who will be happy to be cover and get his paycheck. I also reckon we still need the much talked about DM and maybe if he found one that can play CH he might just go for that although I think that would leave us tight at the back. Still though as happy and confident in a new season as I have been in a few years.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not a popular opinion in here but I thought arteta was excellent yesterday, mightn't have the legs for the bigger games but he still have a massive part to play this season
    I don't think that's an unpopular opinion at all, he was clearly the only one of our midfielders who looked sharp yesterday. Benefits of a summer off perhaps.

Gibbs' injury record is so frustrating. We really need to sign a couple of defensive players before the window closes.

Gibbs is a joke with his injuries, constantly picking up injuries.

3 points ! Yippie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He's been steadily improving though. He's gone from managing 20 games a year to 30 to 40 last season.

This is just a niggle I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

The formation we played suited him perfectly. It allowed him to stay back and not have to be constantly running after loose balls.

That being said I thought that formation hindered our attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Jesus you'd sware he's getting injured on purpose.

Slaven Bilic on Aaron Ramsey: "Most top players have one thing that stands out but not with Ramsey... He is 9 out of 10 for everything"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Not getting all the grief Gibbs is getting re injuries? From what I remember he only missed a few games last year with a twisted ankle and missed 6-8 weeks the season before with thigh injury? They are the only two spells he missed? Fairly ok for an 'injury prone player' I would have thought?

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Jesus you'd sware he's getting injured on purpose.

What? Where did I say that, I just mention that he seems to get injured quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Definitely need width on the left, can't wait till Walcott is back.

Arteta is fine against teams who don't want to play. The only chasing Palace did was 1 against 3 or 2 against 5. They very, very rarely tried a proper counter-attack other than lobbing it forward and hoping.

In general last season even when Ozil was on there was a lack of pace about the side. Obviously there were goals which are the opposite to this, but against a team constantly sitting back I don't think Ozil is a key player unless there's plenty of pace ahead and around him and even then 1/5 is a decent success rate for through-balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I stand by my point, i really don't think we have strengtred since last year.

Its replacements if anything, probably not even that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I stand by my point, i really don't think we have strengtred since last year.

Its replacements if anything, probably not even that good.

wtf is Sanchez so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

wtf is Sanchez so?

Eisfelds replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Eisfelds replacement

We haven't replaced Bendtner though. Wenger will pay the price for that oversight

wtf is Sanchez so?

Tfffff, that's about it.

Without a doubt we need defensive reinforcements.

Lets wait and see.

Wfffffff..

Arteta is fine against teams who don't want to play. The only chasing Palace did was 1 against 3 or 2 against 5. They very, very rarely tried a proper counter-attack other than lobbing it forward and hoping.

In general last season even when Ozil was on there was a lack of pace about the side. Obviously there were goals which are the opposite to this, but against a team constantly sitting back I don't think Ozil is a key player unless there's plenty of pace ahead and around him and even then 1/5 is a decent success rate for through-balls.

There is no point in having pace up front if the ball is too slow reaching them.
    Our midfielders hang on to it too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I don't think anyone under rates Arteta to be honest fantastic squad player and does a brilliant job against a lot of teams.

But in the big games especially we do need a more mobile player with a bigger physical presence.

Saying that isn't undermining the importance of Arteta just the truth.

I'd consider Chelsea and City our rivals and I don't think Arteta would make either of there starting elevens week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Anyone know anything about Rabiot from PSG who we were linked to today, never heard of him but sounds up Wengers street, young and French.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Deleted a few posts there, asking folks how to access streams isn't allowed even by PM.

I don't think anyone under rates Arteta to be honest fantastic squad player and does a brilliant job against a lot of teams.

But in the big games especially we do need a more mobile player with a bigger physical presence.

Saying that isn't undermining the importance of Arteta just the truth.

I'd consider Chelsea and City our rivals and I don't think Arteta would make either of there starting elevens week in week out.

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Are recipes ok

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are recipes ok

Afraid not, that was stopped a while back. Basically anything to do with streams or regional work around a is off limits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement