Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

Not top of the league. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

There is no point in having pace up front if the ball is too slow reaching them.
    Our midfielders hang on to it too long.

Wenger needs to beef up the team, no matter if he thinks we have enough. A few key injuries and we would look very fragile at the back. Did I say we could do with another striker? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Get a good experienced centre back/DMF in and we'll be set imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

There is no point in having pace up front if the ball is too slow reaching them.
    Our midfielders hang on to it too long.

lee dixon was co-commentator on the stream i was watching y'day, after wilshere went down he was saying that a reason for it is that he keeps hold of the ball too long & watch how many times you see him down like that this season clutching his ankle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Anybody hear anything on us trying to sign eduardo vargas on loan? Lot of rags reporting it at the moment but it's the first ive heard of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Anybody hear anything on us trying to sign eduardo vargas on loan? Lot of rags reporting it at the moment but it's the first ive heard of it

Its bullcrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Not sure he's an improvement on what we have in an area where we have plenty of cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 2 (1)
    Koscielny 1 (1)

Cazorla 1 (0)
    Giroud 1 (0)

(league goals in brackets)

Hmm, all the big teams seemed to struggle to get results. Puts our sub par performance into context IMO. The important thing was to secure the 3 points. Hopefully we'll improve as we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If Ramsey stays fit i think he will hit 25 goals. probably be our top goalscorer, what a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ramsey is going to become better than cesc ever was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Its unreal the turnaround in Ramsey. The guy just oozes class. He's flying it!

Complete player? Getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

looks like kos and gibbs are out for tomorrow evening. very disappointing leaving the defence so short - we need reinforcement this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Seen Rabiot linked somewhere yesterday, would love us to sign him. Ideal long-term partner for Rambo in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Paj wrote: »
    looks like kos and gibbs are out for tomorrow evening. very disappointing leaving the defence so short - we need reinforcement this week.

Quite a ridiculous situation which was completely avoidable. Surely with our injury history wenger knew it was a massive gamble letting TV leave. Wonder will he rush mert back now......

We'll win handy I think, over the 2 legs, but as usual we're making it more difficult for ourselves.

Kos trained today so should be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

omega man wrote: »
    Quite a ridiculous situation which was completely avoidable. Surely with our injury history wenger knew it was a massive gamble letting TV leave. Wonder will he rush mert back now......

We'll win handy I think, over the 2 legs, but as usual we're making it more difficult for ourselves.

TV is injured at the minute anyway so he wouldn't have been much use right now. Would have been good to get the replacement in sooner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I wanted to comment on the hate against zonal marking.

When we man marked, we still conceded a lot of goals from corners. With our lack of tall midfielders, we will always suffer more than we gain at set pieces.

The difference is that the pundits seem to have this obsession with bashing zonal marking, where as they never commented on the faults of man marking when we conceded plenty from it.

There's always going to be someone who will switch off, in any system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

cathalio11 wrote: »

When we man marked, we still conceded a lot of goals from corners. With our lack of tall midfielders, we will always suffer more than we gain at set pieces.

The difference is that the pundits seem to have this obsession with bashing zonal marking, where as they never commented on the faults of man marking when we conceded plenty from it.

Yeah nobody ever comments on man marking being the reason for a goal being conceded from a set piece.

I would like us to have players on the post though, as Arseblog pointed out at the weekend we didn't have for the Palace goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I've no problem with zonal marking, as long as our players attack the ball instead of stand still and allow players a free run, the corner was shocking, sanchez should never have been on hangeland but that said he still let him run by and tried to cover it up by grabbing another defender instead of at least letting kos and co know he was coming, Kos was also to blame for well standing still and allowing a player a free run, nothing Szcz could do although the corner came from his silly decision to come out and "clear" when kos had it covered, a very disappointing goal to concede and although we got the 3 points it wouldn't have done any of the back 5 any good confidence wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That is something that always worried me.
    We have very small midfielders with the exception of Ramsey.
    City's midfield is scary with their size and physique. It was mentioned on MOTD last night too. They bully other teams especially in tight games.
    Arteta, Cazorla, Jack, Rosicky and Sanchez are very good players but haven't the physique against big teams especially if they hang onto the ball. Quick sharp passing is the way to go to make up for it.
    Thats why I keep insisting that we get a big physical brute of a DM. We need someone to break up attacks and stand up to teams who try to out-muscle us.

Would people be happy with Manolas and Rabiot? I think I would. 4 options at centre back and 4 options at DM (Arteta, Flamini, Rabiot and Chambers). Could get the two for under 15 million. Although i have never seen the two of them play :pac:

Did anyone notice how fast Chambers could sprint?

I'd like to see him play Artetas role in the cup. Can't see him getting ahead of a fit Mert or Kos or Debuchy.

Very impressed with Debuchy and Chambers in the last game.

Alexis will need time/Ozil I think.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How do folks expect us to line up tomorrow night? There's not much choice in defence but I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of rotation up top, maybe start Ox and Campbell on the flanks? Or even start Campbell in CF?

I'd like to see him play Artetas role in the cup. Can't see him getting ahead of a fit Mert or Kos or Debuchy.

I read somewhere (maybe here) that Wenger sees Chambers as a player who could play DM in time. I think he would make a great DM and should be tried in that position in Cup games. He is big and strong and will fill out even bigger.

Szcz
    Debuchy - Kos - Chambers - Monreal
    Arteta
    Ramsey
    Oxo - Caz - Alexis
    Campbell/Sanogo

I thought Sanogo was muck on Saturday, Giroud is still not fit, so I'd start Campbell. Experienced in CL, good world cup and wants to make his mark.

Cazorla was also muck on Saturday, but can't see the boss starting anyone else there.

Szcz
    Arteta
    Ramsey
    Oxo - Caz - Alexis
    Campbell/Sanogo

I thought Sanogo was muck on Saturday, Giroud is still not fit, so I'd start Campbell. Experienced in CL, good world cup and wants to make his mark.

Cazorla was also muck on Saturday, but can't see the boss starting anyone else there.

I think he'll start Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭boccy23

Szcz
    Arteta
    Ramsey
    Oxo - Caz - Alexis
    Campbell/Sanogo

Did he even touch the ball?
    We need something better.

• Advertisement

Sanogo was poor Saturday, actually probably his poorest performance for us. Even with his poor finishing he usually puts himself about and works hard, he didn't even manage that on saturday.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sanogo was poor Saturday, actually probably his poorest performance for us. Even with his poor finishing he usually puts himself about and works hard, he didn't even manage that on saturday.

He is young but more importantly he is also very tall and skinny which makes him easy to push off the ball. When he fills out and learns how to handle himself he might be a very good CF. Not ready yet but game time in Cups will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

If we don't bring a DM in then yes I'd love to see chambers play there, particularly in "top 4" away games. Think it would provide great cover. May have to sacrifice an attacking option but after last years results in those games it would be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Ramsey and co in midfield will have to put in a serious shift this year in front of goal if we are going to win the league.

Our striker options are not good enough by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

He is young but more importantly he is also very tall and skinny which makes him easy to push off the ball. When he fills out and learns how to handle himself he might be a very good CF. Not ready yet but game time in Cups will help.

He is the perfect model of a player who needs to go out on loan, prem or championship

According to Di Marzio -
    Arsenal have made a very rich offer and could close the deal (For Rabiot)

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/benatia-has-many-suitors-but-no-official-offers-yet/

• Advertisement

Di Marzio has been very poor with Arsenal news this summer. has said similar about Aurier, Douglas Costa and Peruzzi. Few french sources saying it as well though so could be happening.

I would play as much of our second team as possible, get out of there with a draw or even a goal defeat

Bigger game Saturday and I think we will turn them over fairly easy at home

Raf32 wrote: »
    Di Marzio has been very poor with Arsenal news this summer. has said similar about Aurier, Douglas Costa and Peruzzi. Few french sources saying it as well though so could be happening.

Yeah he's been hit and miss for us.
    But he definitely has broke quite a few big deals this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I would play as much of our second team as possible, get out of there with a draw or even a goal defeat

Disagree there Emergingstar. Get into champion's league as easy as possible by making sure we get a positive result tomorrow and get half the job done. That means strongest team possible.

League games you can afford to lose one. We cannot afford to get a bad result in these qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Tomorrows game is definitely more important and it will be the strongest team available playing it I would imagine. Id imagine there might be 2/3 changes from Saturday. Monreal for Gibbs, Giroud for Sanogo and maybe Ox for Cazorla.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've made that point before. It's all the more bizarre when it's recently retired players who should really know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Who is this Rabiot?

Very young promising midfileder from PSG. He would be a mix between Arteta and Pirlo. He's also 6'3.

He has only 1yr left on his contract and PSG would rather sell him now rather than let him leave on a free next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Very young promising midfileder from PSG. He would be a mix between Arteta and Pirlo. He's also 6'3.

He has only 1yr left on his contract and PSG would rather sell him now rather than let him leave on a free next year.

Why is he leaving PSG? Is he getting his game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

jonny666 wrote: »

Not getting his game but hes a very highly rated talent, there'll be no shortage of suitors if PSG let him go.

jonny666 wrote: »

Not really.. He started 13 games and had 12 sub appearances last year.
    He just isn't as good as Verratti,Matuidi or Motta.

But not many are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Not really.. He started 13 games and had 12 sub appearances last year.
    He just isn't as good as Verratti,Matuidi or Motta.

But not many are.

I'd love Verratti at Chelsea, excellent player.

If Rabiot is willing to bide his time he may get in over Motta eventually but in this instance he holds all the cards so PSG might flog him now instead of nothing in the summer.

He can negoiate with foreign teams in January too if he so wishes, if hes still at PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd love Verratti at Chelsea, excellent player.

If Rabiot is willing to bide his time he may get in over Motta eventually but in this instance he holds all the cards so PSG might flog him now instead of nothing in the summer.

He can negoiate with foreign teams in January too if he so wishes, if hes still at PSG.

sssshhhh Wenger might hear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Off topic, but I saw that BT Sport ad(the anti-Arsenal one) for the first time last night. I thought the creator had got the sack over the ad, if so why are they still showing it?

It's in pretty poor taste, and I'm not just saying that as an Arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

That wasnt true in the end, fake twitter account or was made up by someone

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement