Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He was never sacked, that was just a joke circulating on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Expecting just the 2 changes for Wednesday night, Giroud and Monreal coming in. Hopefully, Saturday will have gotten rid of the cobwebs and the players are tuned in properly. It's the worst we have seen from Ramsey(bar the goal) and Santi in a good while.

Expecting a good showing but still a big sense of anxiety over the game too. I'll be chuffed with a draw or a 1-0 or something like that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Expecting just the 2 changes for Wednesday night, Giroud and Monreal coming in. Hopefully, Saturday will have gotten rid of the cobwebs and the players are tuned in properly. It's the worst we have seen from Ramsey(bar the goal) and Santi in a good while.

Expecting a good showing but still a big sense of anxiety over the game too. I'll be chuffed with a draw or a 1-0 or something like that.

Match is tomorrow night not Wednesday :)

It's not great though is it? I can't imagine them doing one like it for Man U or Chelsea etc. I hope they go bust as i can't bear their presenters and commentary team.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Match is tomorrow night not Wednesday :)

:eek:

Jebus, that is a quick turn around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Anyone watching Chelsea game tonight? I'm interested to see how balanced they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

HazDanz wrote: »
    Anyone watching Chelsea game tonight? I'm interested to see how balanced they are.

On paper that team looks strong all over the pitch. Praying that Costa is not an instant hit but I fear he will be.

greendom wrote: »
    On paper that team looks strong all over the pitch. Praying that Costa is not an instant hit but I fear he will be.

It looks rock solid the team. Most interested in Cesc. How much lease Mourinho is going to allow him in games.

Wenger confirmed Sanogo and Gibbs ddidn't travel.

Giroud for 60, Campbell for 30?

I'd reckon (due to Girouds fitness) that it'll be the other way round, give Giroud 30 minutes to nick a goal should we need one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Giroud is a nailed on starter if Sanagos out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Rabiot listed as playing for arsenal on Wikipedia:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Rabiot listed as playing for arsenal on Wikipedia:)

interesting. . . I see the page was last modified 2 hours ago.

Gonna miss the game tomorrow (and the one on Saturday). :(

Gibbs out for two weeks with hamstring twinge.

Better get signing!

Gibbs out for two weeks with hamstring twinge.

Better get signing!

Not as bad as first feared then, Monreal is a good replacement, and offers a bit more offensively I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Not as bad as first feared then, Monreal is a good replacement, and offers a bit more offensively I think.

Anyone know if Bellarin can play LB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Anyone know if Bellarin can play LB?

Not trying to be smart but surely any full back can play either side defensively? As in I don't expect them to be bombing forward and whipping in crosses but positioning wise they should be capable. Don't get me wrong its not ideal but somewhat manageable.

Not trying to be smart but surely any full back can play either side defensively? As in I don't expect them to be bombing forward and whipping in crosses but positioning wise they should be capable. Don't get me wrong its not ideal but somewhat manageable.

I remember reading that Sagna could play LB and did a few times but that Gibbs couldn't play RB.
    So i still don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I think people who haven't seen Rabiot play before will be very impressed if we get him.

I went to a PSG game last year and he really stood out for me. Ran the show alongside Motta, I couldn't believe how young he was. He seems to glide around the pitch like a young Vieira or dare I say it Zidane. Posted about him on here at the time as an ideal purchase for us.

Really hope there's some truth in these rumours now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Is he a defensive midfielder? I know absolutely nothing about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

All this Rabiot talk has been generated by his agent. Wait a week and he'll have signed a new deal and will dismiss all connections with us.

This kind of story happens all the time. At this stage I'm more likely to listen to a link with someone on a long contract rather than someone entering the last year. It's pathetic and frustrating in equal measures.

• Advertisement

Cesc pulling all the strings tonight.
    Hate seeing him in that shirt :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I reckon positioning wise it's not a problem. I've played both without any hassle. Even on the ball it's ok if you have any kind of second foot.

Hardest thing is when tackling. Notice that players tend to lead with their stronger foot into a tackle (unless you're a mad b4stard like Flamini who uses both). If your left footed, playing RB and the winger goes down the line and you try to tackle (with your left foot) you're effectively turning your arse towards him and at more of a stretch trying to nick the ball away rather than coming across him and sweeping the ball into touch.

It's only a small thing and sounds simple but its hard to train that kinda instinct sometimes and those small percentages make huge differences in games! If a player is a stronger tackler, or more used to using their weaker foot sometimes, they might pick it up a bit quicker.

I don't know if that's why Sagna is considered a better LB than Gibbs RB but the above situation is something i've come across loads of times. Even in matches against wrong footed full backs we were always told to take him on down the wing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Cesc pulling all the strings tonight.
    Hate seeing him in that shirt :(

Unbelievable assist there :(

Fabregas has Chelsea really ticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

“If I ever wear a Chelsea shirt, you have permission to kill me.” – Cesc Fabregas

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Against Burnley to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Kind of annoying why we rejected him but hold onto Wilshere who has so much "potential"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Something we will all have to get used of quickly im afraid. Gonna be amazing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

agaisn't Burnley for god sake. Let's see if he gets that space agaisn't the more experienced PL teams, I highly doubt it.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Against Burnley to be fair.

Aye, they are giving him loads of space. Still the link up play he is creating looks very solid. Picking runners out with real ease. Seems to be gelling with the team well.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Kind of annoying why we rejected him but hold onto Wilshere who has so much "potential"

:rolleyes: I knew this reaction would happen. Christ he's playing a newly promoted team, it's not Man city or Arsenal he's playing agaisn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Looper007 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: I knew this reaction would happen. Christ he's playing a newly promoted team, it's not Man city or Arsenal he's playing agaisn't.

The knee jerk reigns supreme

I dont rate Wilshere. Why not replace him with a far better player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Cesc should be with us, no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Looks like the manola deal is gonna be completed. Happy to have anyone in backup whos at least a bit experienced:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/kostas-manolas-to-arsenal-latest-8m-olympiakos-defender-undergoes-medical-with-the-gunners--reports-9675612.html

agaisn't Burnley for god sake. Let's see if he gets that space agaisn't the more experienced PL teams, I highly doubt it.

He did it for us for years against top class opposition in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I said at the time, I'd have sold ozil and taken back fabregas in a heartbeat. I fully expect to be proven right about that by the end of the season.

Raf32 wrote: »
    I dont rate Wilshere. Why not replace him with a far better player?

Did you say the same about Ramsey Raf? I know I did, so I won't jump on the lad. Wilshire will come good.

Burnley defensively have been woeful, if Cesc does this agaisn't us and the top teams then I gush over him. But if he was that great why did Barca let him go?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I said at the time, I'd have sold ozil and taken back fabregas in a heartbeat. I fully expect to be proven right about that by the end of the season.

No way this time last year if I had a choice I'd go Ozil all day long.

Ozil will be class this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Fcuk sake are we going to have to listen to this every time he assists or scores

He did it for us for years against top class opposition in fairness.

That was years ago Tayto, this is the here and now. Burnley ain't exactly world beaters.

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Looks like the manola deal is gonna be completed. Happy to have anyone in backup whos at least a bit experienced:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/kostas-manolas-to-arsenal-latest-8m-olympiakos-defender-undergoes-medical-with-the-gunners--reports-9675612.html

Great news. Need him to give some breathing space in that part of the squad.

Fcuk sake are we going to have to listen to this every time he assists or scores

Pretty much from his Fan club , I don't understand why we are so worried. We have top class talent in the midfield. Poor Wilshire is taking the blunt of the abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Jaysus lads why should we of taking him back when he practically forced a move away from us when he had his sights on a move to Barca. We have a much better player in Ramsey any ways, no need to bring Cesc back we would of only being accomodating him in our team.

Did you say the same about Ramsey Raf? I know I did, so I won't jump on the lad. Wilshire will come good.

Burnley defensively have been woeful, if Cesc does this agaisn't us and the top teams then I gush over him. But if he was that great why did Barca let him go?

I never wrote him off like I have Jack. he was fierce frustrating but i always knew there was a player in there, could just see it was a confidence problem. Cesc is a ready made winner. I wouldnt take him over Ozil or Fabregas, but he is miles ahead of the rest of our midfield. Same question for Barca letting him go can be attributed to Sanchez too so? some players just dont make it with some clubs, through no fault of their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Cesc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Cesc is a fine player and will most likely lead chelsea to the title. Him playing for that manager in that shirt turns my stomach.

However the manager made his decision regarding re signing him, and so be it. We can move on.

Ajfunky wrote: »

I'd say that will be the end of the spending for this season.
    We should have got and do need a big fast brute of a no-nonsense DM though.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads why should we of taking him back when he practically forced a move away from us when he had his sights on a move to Barca. We have a much better player in Ramsey any ways, no need to bring Cesc back we would of only being accomodating him in our team.

"It was his Home club, how could he turn them down". Wenger didn't take him back cause we have Ramsey who will get better. Get over it people, support the club and our players instead of ****ting on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Some really bad knee jerk reactions here.
    People saying they'd swap *insert Arsenal player* for Cesc need to cop on.

Fair enough you want Cesc, but don't be slating players that are actually willing to stay and play for our club... Unlike Cesc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement